Why do basedboy gaymer nerds go through so many PSUs? It's like they break for them every 2 years or less...

Why do basedboy gaymer nerds go through so many PSUs? It's like they break for them every 2 years or less. Then they go out and paid 100 again for the same shit.

Meanwhile my chink shit 500w has been working for 7 years now. What are basedboy gamers doing wrong?

Attached: images.jpg (261x193, 11K)

You're an insufferable faggot and I hope you kill yourself

probably consuming more power

whoa there, friend

Idk, I play video games and have been using the same Aywun PSU for over 5 years now with no issues.

I7 3770 and r9 fury too so it's not exactly low on power consumption.

Attached: dogface.jpg (700x611, 49K)

mean time before failure.... mean.

>What are basedboy gamers doing wrong?
Most likely buying shoddy PSUs.

Just buy an ax1600i and stop worrying.

I haven't even killed my old corsair power aupply after 8 years. I replaced it merely for more io and seasonnic stability.

I got a 850w corsair PSU in 2012, when I got my second 7970 matrix edition it wasn't enough so I got the ax1200i. Haven't had any issues with it, never buy chink shit.

>Then they go out and paid 100 again for the same shit.
>implying you can get a good PSU under 100 bucks
see, goymers are retards and cheap out on the PSU
I see this all the time - guy that dumps money into two 1080s buys a bottom of the barrel EVGA or green Corsair PSU

>ax1600i
>1600 watt

Besides costing much more to acquire, even the "titanium" efficiency of 96% at 50% usage will never bee utilized, so he will litterally pay significantly more for power as the PSU will loose a lot in the inefficient conversion.

can't remember the standards specs on the go, but it would be something like 10-8% loss. (OP imply he doesn't game on 1080TI or vega 64, so no, his PSU will not come near 20% for a 1600watt in his system)

It's like insisting that buying a hatchback car, you should get one with a least 12 cylinders, or best, the 16 of the Bugatti veron, as its clearly a top quality engine, so it would be the best to have in a small family car. It would be so much more reliable...

Not looking to argue, but since I've built 3 PCs with them, what's wrong with EVGA PSUs? I've had no issues

Dum poorfaggot

smelly dumb consumerist scum

TWELVE HUNDRED WATT PSU
>Ive had no issues

Where do you get the idea that this is even an issue?

wow that is just sad

Probably reliability, after few years capacitors lose most of their capacity so voltage and ripple on output will fluctuate alot, this may not be big deal if your pc doesnt use alot of power, but for system that has high power gpu/cpu it will result in shut downs and potentialy burning your components if over/undervoltage protection on psu fails.
I was using cheap psu (chinese 500w) since my pc was not demanding and i ran into alot of problems but it worked fine for few years, then i replaced it with corsair 450w and that one worked even better, i got seasonic now with overclocked fx8320e and 280x which draws almost 500w from wall which is probably same as 1080ti and oc 2700x would use today, getting more than 600w for non sli/cx setup is just nonsense.

nothing wrong with EVGA per se
it's the retards who buy their cheapest models

I will only ever buy Seasonic PSUs.

You can get a 750W gold Seasonic for 90 bucks. Maybe it wont handle two 1080s, but still, that PSU will handle anything short of SLI.

Fpbp

Attached: 1526537799825.png (490x1015, 782K)

I replace psu every time I upgrade my system because fuck using an 7 years old time bomb that can fry my 2000$ PC entirely.

My 650w Coolermaster GX is like 8 years now, I fear the worst soon.

Attached: 1522714499623.png (333x355, 168K)

This.
Also OP is just a poorfag kid who thinks his shitty PSU on his shitty pc makes him better than the other poorfags with shitty PSUs so he seeks validation on Jow Forums of all places.

>Can't just check the voltages
>Tosses working hardware
This is why we can't have nice things.

I don't know I have gone through 3 builds, all 3 still in use and even the oldest one's PSU is going strong to this date.

I've always wondered the same thing with people going on about their graphics cards dying after a year or two. Still using my 680 with no problems.

This is what happened to my SeaSonic 850W-X. Kept getting random shut downs everytime I played games. It was especially bad with VR games. I thought it was the GPU so I tried underclocking it/stopped playing games until I could save up for another one.

But then I noticed it'd start shutting down when I was browsing too very rarely. I always took 10 minutes to turn it back on. Eventually I couldn't turn it back on at all.

What made it so fucking annoying to solve was that the PSU was showing that it could turn on when I did the paperclip test, so I figured it couldn't be my expensive SeaSonic PSU. Thankfully I had an older PSU, and the same thing happened. Both PSU's were working, so I assumed my mobo was fucked and replaced it. Then not even 2 fucking months later my NEW motherboards starts showing the same exact symptoms.

so now I knew either my GPU was fucking shit up or the CPU. I took the cheapest option and replaced the PSU. Now I can finally play VR games at max settings without a single shutdown and it turns on the first time I press the power button.

So fair caution, just because you buy an expensive PSU, doesn't mean it's going to lat 5+ years or whatever.

My corsair platinum never broke.

user, you should have looked on Johnny guru site for a review.

I got a platinum Corsair made by seasonic.

It had top reviews on both Newegg and Amazon. Either I had a defective unit, or a random power outage somehow screwed it up. I have an UPS and the energy pull from my desktop is usually no greater than 200W, so it definitely had nothing to do with me over using it.

>platinum
You do realize those ratings mean nothing as a consumer right? The efficiency in power only makes a difference if you have an entire office of individuals using that same grade PSU.

Checking the voltages doesn't always help. I bought a PSU tester a week ago and everything looked perfectly fine on the 850W as far as voltages go. All lights green. However, it'd turn off after 2 minutes, then it'd take 20 minutes to work again.

>coil whine on a fucking fanless PSU
>we can't hear it because the factory is too loud
Never again.

I wonder that too. I bought a bequiet 1000 W (discounted - was cheaper than 850) in 2015, broke quickly. Replacement, got a 1200 W. Still coil whine and PC turned off later.

Then I had to RMA again, bought me a cheap Corsair CX500M and used it. Silent, delivers 500 W (OC 780/1080 Ti) and no coil whine - for 60 €. I sold the replacement because I had enough of BQ and went with the CX, until I bought that 1080 Ti with a Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 W.

Its pretty good, no fan at all, but my PC is starting to turn off in Prime or gaming load. WHY?

Yep, usually psu can deliver stable voltage without load, but when you put some load on it it will drop voltage so low it will trigger undervoltage protection
Coil whine is tricky, you can replace 10 psus and it can still happen on some configurations, ive seen thousand of people replacing their components until the finally got rid of it

Stop self projecting user

you just got lucky
I've seen at least 3 PSU's that had an outstanding review in jonnyguru fail in less than 2 years

that or you use your computer to browse facebook and shitpost on le rebbit

It's because of that PSU tier list.
At this point i'm convinced that it was made by literal paid shills.

I've been running my ocz zx 1250W for five and a half years now. It's outlived the company that made it.

Attached: ocz_zx1250_20.jpg (550x367, 62K)

I've destroyed a PSU deliberately for non-computer usage. Found some instructions for a burning laser, all it needed was an old an crappy PSU for power. Long story short, I bridged the wrong wires and it went pop as soon as I turned it on.

Attached: 5792120178493e9fd5a9118e2d0f6f2d.jpg (564x564, 56K)

>mfw pajeet comes back from shitting in the road to find his house fire PSU still hasn't murdered all 17 people living in his single bedroom apartment

Attached: sqQlid7.jpg (900x810, 52K)

My Be Quiet! 850 Watt PSU is nearly a decade old and still works without a problem. Most people cheap out on psu's or buy the ones with cool LED's.

Onionss

This is the correct answer. You gamer blockheads need to learn the old saying "The poor man pays twice."

hmm yes but Power Supplies are actually most efficent in their higher power usage.

i bought an expensive "epic" modular silent seasonic gold one, and it died every year. had to spend lots of wasted time and money to get a replacement multiple times. then i said fuck it and bought a cheap ocz bronze and its stayed alive for years.

i think theres probably something wrong with the designs they have to make things epic modular silent etc. that is making them break.

Up to a certain point

Efficiency in PSUs is not a linear function

Do gamers actually go through PSUs faster? I think OP is making up an issue to complain about. If anything miners are more likely to kill a PSU, what with running 1000W+ at full load 24/7.

>You do realize those ratings mean nothing as a consumer right?
As someone who has designed a switch mode power supply they mean something to me. It means the engineers who worked on it are competent and didn't just throw some chips on a PCB and call it a day. Achieving 90% efficiency is tricky and doing it across a wide load range is even harder.

Meanwhile heat is a large part of what determines component lifespans. A power supply operating at 80% efficiency is going to generate 225% more heat than a 90% efficient power supply.

because they buy cheap bronze tier chink shit.

At least get gold or platinum you plebs

I don't think so. I would consider myself as a "gamer", as I have a highend rig with a 350 W GPU, but I only play once in a while and if I play League my whole system will draw less than 100 W. It only matters in mining. Even hardcore gamers can't play 24/7.

Most efficient but at the same time, have shortest lifespan when under full load. When it's much below full load then it's pretty cool, but when you load it near the full, the heat is fuckin up electrolytic caps, and then the caps are fuckin' with everything else by not performing their filtering and stabilizing function anymore.

im running an Antec Earthwatts 500 PSU in my rig, been running two years without issues. But i also open my tower once every month or two and clean it out. Just like a car, a computer will run better with regular maintinence, not just with software, but look after the hardware as well. I've had shitbox Kenntech PSUs last years because i was never pushing them too far or letting sthem get clogged with dirt.

>my chink shit 500w has been working for 7 years now
My chink shit shits out mains every 2 years, but PSU costs like 5$, so I can't complain

they don't understand how power works and buy they cheapest shittiest psu that under-powers their rig and eventually blows up

cheap power supplies aren't a good idea.

the gaymur branding makes no difference, since its always made by an OEM anyway. i buy used FSP, superflower made PSUs and have had no issues there

>not buying a superior corsair (RMx, RMi, HX, etc) or seasonic (focus plus, prime, etc) psu

The PSU's mentioned above have 5+ year warranties. They are built to last and you will only bump into problems if you are using close to or over 100% power.

>will only bump into problems if you are using close to or over 100% pow
>close to 100%
If they shouldn't operate for extended periods on their rated power, it shouldn't be their rated power output. In other words, they're shit.

because they upgrade their video cards without considering the dramatic effect it can have on power consumption

they also probably consider a psu with bad coil whine to be broken also.

You'd never reach the rated power anyway.

i7-8700k + 1080 Ti will not even reach 500W at full load.

The lowest rated Seasonic focus plus PSU is 550W anyway.

probably also use those dual Molex to 6pin adapters that come with the card as well. thats a bad idea

This. There's no way around it folks, the only real way to know for sure about a PSU's build quality and reliability is to have someone take it apart and test it thoroughly on equipment that costs thousands. Sadly these kinds of reviews are limited to just a few sites, and even then they often don't cover many of the power supplies that come out, particularly budget-oriented PSUs. My hope is that affordable Bronze PSUs get good enough that lazy workarounds like tier lists and buying units with wattage twice your system consumption will no longer have reason to be widespread. I feel like we're getting to that point with say, Corsair's new CX-M line and the EVGA Bronze PSUs made by Super Flower. That said, the ATX standard is in real need of revision.

Who the hell goes trough a PSU in 2 years? I could see it if your mining maybe
I've had my Antec NeoEco 520w which is a seasonic rebrand I've had it for the longest time.

>buy psu with 2 year warranty
>cry when it pops after 2 years

you can literally get a 10 year warranty psu without breaking the bank.

5 year warranty psu is very cheap in comparison

There's a reason they call them supernovas

I'd follow set of simple rules
>Made by Seasonic, SuperFlower or FSP
very good, check
>At least 5+ years of warranty
very good, also check

If the conditions above are met, you can buy with no fear at all.
Pic related serves me for like 5 or so years now. I bought soon after they came out.

Attached: sea_sonic_electronics_platinum_760_ss_760xp2_platinum_series_ss_760xp2_active_1161887.jpg (2500x2500, 661K)

Might be drawing too much power for it to handle

Same here, raised voltage to 14v and disabled uv/ov and short curcuit protection to use with car amp, few days later accidentaly shorted negative terminal across ground and blew transistors, it was best chinese psu i ever had, 500w model but it gave like 350w when i tested it, payed 20$ for it brand new.

rip ocz you will be missed

Onions

Been using the same Corsair HX750 for since Radeon 6870 was new.

CWT is fine too.
They've proven themselves over the last 10 years.

Absolutely this. Any Seasonic (or rebrand such as Corsair) PSU that is Focus Plus series or above has a 5+ year warranty. To add to this, they have 80+ Gold efficiency or higher so you can use closer to the rated maximum wattage.

Cheap PSUs with a 2+ year warranty are better suited to office computers where the main tasks are: web browsing at work when you shouldn't be, spreadsheet work, etc.

I've had a Corsair HX for 6 years now, but I recommend Seasonic Focus Plus series PSUs because they are cheaper and just as good if not better.

this is what their top model PSU likes to do on a sillyscope, imagine what their low end and midrange look like. Your components are getting that spike to the face, you think they're happy about it?

Attached: 12V Ripple Anomaly.jpg (500x323, 42K)

>Who the hell goes trough a PSU in 2 years?
No one except miners, this is just a bait thread but Jow Forums will fall for anything if it's against "gamers."