My mobo's sound system died, I'm thinking of buying a soundcard, should I do it? Any suggestions?

My mobo's sound system died, I'm thinking of buying a soundcard, should I do it? Any suggestions?

Attached: 220px-Sblive!.jpg (220x197, 19K)

I would buy another motherboard if a part of it already failed.

Attached: 1526631394398.jpg (560x314, 143K)

jesus christ another autist on Jow Forums ??? NO!

Buy some expensive one from Creative or Asus

I have an fx processor and don't feel like buying a new processor and ram just because my sound doesn't work
I have an audio interface I use for tracking guitar, would that sound better or should I just buy an XLR microphone? I get audio from the interface, my biggest issue is that my mic doesn't work.

Not sure why, but the PCIe Sound Card that I used would output noise whenever my GPU was under load.

Ended up going back to the internal one.

Get something external. Preferrably with its own power supply.
Internal sound cards suffer from EM interference, which causes hissing.

I've had motherboards with things fail, and other stuff goes along with it. OP is better off with a new one.

I would suggest a USB DAC so you can use it with other shit since PCIe is only on desktops
Sound cards aren't completely isolated which isn't usually an issue but probably was the cause

Why don't you just use a speaker?

what if ur rig is 8 years old
what if it happened to be lga 1155
what if it happens 2 not be available anywhere
what if its a build so specific u cant replace the mobo without replacin everything else in ur rig

Either caused by a low quality power supply or bad wiring in your home. Can usually be fixed with a decent surge protector.

ASUS is currently making the best soundcards. You don't need to break the bank though. Even their lower end cards have good DACs in them.

if you're so short on cash that you cant buy a new motherboard, cause, obviously everything else will fail, just get one of those USB sound cards and call it a day

> I have an fx processor and don't feel like buying a new processor and ram just because my sound doesn't work.
You can just buy one that's compatible with what you already have, even one of the same kind. It'll probably cost you some ~50 bux if your stuff is somewhat outdated.
Though if you're really considering it for music, then yeah, you may benefit from the investment.

Why? It's a perfect occasion to buy a device that can actually output sound with some merit.

> what if ur rig is 8 years old
Then you should probably upgrade anyways.
> what if it happened to be lga 1155
That's not rare at all.
> what if it happens 2 not be available anywhere
Bullshit. Computer parts are very standardized unless it's some crappy prebuilt with only proprietary corner-cutting parts.
> what if its a build so specific u cant replace the mobo without replacin everything else in ur rig
Then you either made a shit build or a timebomb and should be grateful it just failed instead of catching fire.

Attached: 1526633909081.jpg (184x184, 6K)

>you should upgrade anyways
Stopped reading there. Avoiding the problem is not solving the problem. Typical angsty teenager answer.

this, mobos are like a house of cards, 970 series boards are also generally shit
mine blew PCI-E port, just to blow VRM month after it returned from warranty repair and week after warranty period has ended
just get ready to get a new board, might as well think of just straight up upgrading

>t. buttblasted poorfag

i did get this one prebuilt when i was able to (i was like 13 or something so i didnt give a fuck i just picked one) now im stuck with this one for a year more or so, but looking for an H61 socket where im from is a pain and my onboard sound is just ded

>t. braindead consumerist

If you have a PCI slot you can get a SB Live like that in your pic basically for free and it's still a decent soundcard, once you install KX drivers.

if you have to then buy cheapest working one
there is literally no difference

by the wayi have an old PC with athlon and creative sound card in it
pot that condom on your head it may prevent stupid things to go out of it

Now, let's be real here, I wouldn't throw away a good computer even if it were older than 8 years, in fact I have a 2009 laptop I still use a lot, but when something that old dies on you it's kind of daft to repair it instead of buying something at least less out of date and getting a good performance improvement out of it.

Attached: thinking chart.jpg (2625x2619, 354K)

There's some chink mobos for that on ebay for $50 with free intl shipping, if you really want to hang on to the other parts. Otherwise do as others have said and buy a very inexpensive or USB sound card. Either way, I'm sure you can get out of this one without breaking the bank.

Literally just get a $5 or less USB card until you upgrade your PC or the motherboard shits the bed entirely.

Buy a Focusrite 2i2 instead.
Now you have taken the first step into the better way of playing music and recording.

I went from a Asus Xonar DGX to a Soundblaster Z because the asus couldn't even power my m50x's without petering out at 70% volume. And if you had nothing playing you could hear static in the background.

I bought the asus originally because the on board audio was even worse, this horrible scratchy noise. I should probably test the audio on my new motherboard but meh I have the soundblaster, might as well use it.

In my opinion it would be smarter to just buy 50-100 dollar xlr microphone for your interface than spending the same amount on a soundcard which will probably end up being technically worse than your interface

>Buy a Focusrite 2i2
There's never a reason to do that, other than wanting a pretty red box on your desk.
If you're actually making music there are better options and if you just need an audio output there are better options.

Over two years the brightness on my display gradually declined. Initially I thought it was the GPU or the monitor. But I've since ruled them out. I also tried a new PSU in the processor. Now I'm focusing on the MOBO as being the source of the problem.

But how do I test for it? I've thoroughly cleaned the board with brushes and gently with Isopropyl alcohol. I'm not very good with electronics. But what is the procedure with going through it with a multimeter?

Attached: IMG_20180518_161052.jpg (1920x1080, 285K)

Buy a USB Dac if you care about music, if not get a USB sound card

>brightness issues
>not the monitor
nigga, u going blind
>focusing on the MOBO as being the source of the problem
and stupid

What do you suggest? The processor won't even power up now, so I've ruled out the monitor. The PSU is fine and all the cables are securely connected with no bent pins. It's either the backpanel board (MOBO), the frontpanel board (power button board), or the heatsink. Recently I reapplied thermal paste onto the CPU so everything is clean now.

Attached: downloadfile-2.png (1265x1356, 2.25M)

i suggest you fuck off and go ask for technical support somewhere else. or you can read the sticky and kys. both good options

Why are you so mad? I'm asking for technical advice on the appropriate board for it in a flailing thread about motherboards?

kys

I have had a 775 with a dead realtek for almost 10 years now.

Asus Xonar Essence One master race. I've been using for 8+ years. Paired with a set of Denon AH-D7000

Attached: asus-xonar-essence-one.jpg (456x320, 26K)

.... how expensive is it, Jim?

>I'm asking for technical advice on the appropriate board
you really should go with the second option, see and kys

$500 back when they were still produced. Reviews at the time compared them to $1000 units in terms of quality sound. They can be found on eBay new in box still for about $400. I don't know how far DAC technology has advanced in last 8 years though.

Why don't you show me how it's done first. But do it on the appropriate board.

I agree about getting a literally free god-tier PCI cards if you have a PCI slot, but
>SB Live
really? You could've at least recommended an Audigy 2(ZS or no ZS) or X-Fi Music/Gamer. SB Live is like the worst thing one can try to recommend.

jesus christ fuck off
>Jow Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

Attached: file.png (368x600, 252K)

>cant even read
you can kys now to complete the second step

SB Live is good enough for casual use. It has like 90dB SNR.

But why settle for "good enough" if they're all dirt cheap nowadays? I got a X-Fi XtremeGamer (same as XtremeMusic but without the external AD_Link port) for 5$ (Five. Dollars.)

Bring some truth to what your state.

Latency, inputs/outputs per €.

Anything from xonar or creative labs if you want an internal card.

Somrthing from fiio if you want usb dac.

Steinberg, Yamaha, Roland all make better soundcards with better drivers for the same money or less.

Lol, enjoy you 10ohms high impedance output.

I will thanks, you keep enjoying your poor fag shit posting ;)

>brand
>brand
>brand

>Those are not products.
>No specs
>No prices

Still nothing that has anything against Focusrite 2i2 so far.

There's a big latency thread on Gearslutz if you care. The shittiness of Focusmeme USB asio is well documented. I won't spoonfeed you more than this.

sound blaster 16

Not this guy, this asus shit is trash. You are a poorfag for owning this. Your denon memephones are low impedance, meaning your dac distorts sound with it's output impedance. If you are interested why, do some research for the first time in your life, retard.
You could have easily bought decent dac and amp for the price, but instead you bought overpriced shit.

this or the 02+odac combo

Attached: cvbgbhfg.png (796x546, 334K)

Buy and ODAC and an amp or one that has both.

JDS labs dacs are shit. Only tech illiterate retards recommend their USB powered overpriced garbage. Chink dacs are leagues ahead of it. But it's not made in muh murica.

>memephones
Confusing the shit Donon made headphones vs the one made by Fostex and rebranded.
Also
>poorfag
>buys expensive shit
Choose one retread.

I don't give a shit where it's made. I did research before I bought the 02+dac combo, almost every review was positive on every site I visited.

Where is your proof, you chink shill?

Or you could just upgrade to ryzen like every other normal person that had fx did

People who buy expensive trash are mentally poorfags. Also, by "audiophile" standards, this trash is not expensive, but that's different story.

>Where is your proof, you chink shill?
Lookup whatever measurements for topping dacs you mouth breathing retard. Odac is outdated shit outperformed by any decent chink DAC out there. The fact that it's USB powered makes it inherently trash, due to the fact that if your USB signal is "noisy" your end effect will be trash. No DAC worth shit is USB powered, having external power is a must, which is why top JDS labs DAC (EL DAC), retailing at $250 for performance of less than $100 is external powered.

>spoonfeed
Burden of proof is on you, retard.

Still no facts posted, nor specs/€

I never said I was an audiophile. I don't want to spend 20K on a sound set-up. But 1K for both dac and headphones 8 years ago. Good deal, Considering the headphones sell for more now used than I paid new.
I also noticed how you ignored being called out for talking out of your ass with the memephones comments.
Keep on keepin on. You're doing great.

>USB powered
???

Attached: 12312313144.png (814x446, 74K)

yes buy a $30 soundcard. you can use it in your next build too. You won't find an old ass mobo for your socket anyway.

>specs/€
Why don't you start by posting measurements of 2i2.
What the fuck is specs/€ even supposed to mean in terms of audio? Because by audio standards, 2i2 is not "impressive" by any means with it's 24/192khz sampling rate, no power supply, garbage output impedance and shit output power.

Are you going to address the fact that using 10Ohm output impedance Amplifier with sub 30Ohm impedance headphones is distorting the sound, as per physics laws, or are you going to ignore it like a retard you are?
Actually I have nothing against the headphones, I was just trying to be mean.

ODAC is USB powered, power supply is for amp. Same thing applies for The Element. the only DAC that is not USB powered in JDS Labs offer, is EL DAC.
Incidentally, this is why you can use RCA outputs on both The Element and O2+ODAC when switching off power.

Why are we even having a thread about this?

Step 1: Go to Amazon
Step 2: Search "soundcard"
Step 3: Sort by user reviews
Step 4: Buy the highest rated one in your pricerange

Wash/Rinse/Repeat for everything

not the user you replied too, but I have what he has, and I can't use the device without the power brick.

Do you have RCA outputs?

nope

Then obviously you can't use it without power brick because the only signal you can get goes through amp, which is external powered. ODAC was always USB powered, and O2+ODAC are 2 PCB slapped together and sold for premium price to retards.
JDS Labs themselves claim that RCA outputs are active when you power off O2, which would not be possible without ODAC getting power from USB.

The DAC in my phone is better than the DAC in your shitty soundcard you idiot poorfag.

Get a sound card from Asus, creative and they're sound blasters always gave me driver issues

It may distort the sound, on paper. But when I bought my headphones, my local audio store let me bring home many of their display cans for testing (I had to leave a deposit), including the ultra hyped at the time sennheiser hd800. The Denons sounded the best by far for the blow out price of $600, they were regular price $1100 at the time where I live. I couldn't care less what an Acoustic Analyzer spits out on a chart, only what I hear, and the rich bass without being overbearing on these is remarkable.

>O2+ODAC are 2 PCB slapped together and sold for premium price to retards

Then i'm a proud retard.

Attached: file.jpg (1080x1350, 142K)

use one of your extra HDMI outs as an audio out. amd graphics cards can output audio over any of the digital outputs, so try that first

unless you're some fucking pleb who uses ANALOG AUDIO in fucking 2018

>unless you're some fucking pleb who uses ANALOG AUDIO in fucking 2018
Not him, but I recently started using digital audio and it fucking annoys me that sound always starts with a 1/2 second cut before the signal wakes the avr, making short sounds literally choppy, a problem ANALOG AUDIO didn't have.
Is there a workaround?