/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1519024874803.jpg (487x362, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/'
wine-staging.com/installation.html
wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu
ioccc.org/
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/pages/how-to-enable-amd-freesync-in-linux.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm thinking of switching from Ubuntu 16.04 to something else, just for a work laptop, what distro would you guys recommend? I'm not a complete retard when it comes to linux
>inb4 Gentoo

Deepin
ChaletOS
Puppy
ZorinOS
Gentoo

why is linus such a basedboy

Install GuixSD

Where do babies come from?

Ubuntu Mate 18.04
Debian 9.4

Attached: nvidia_fuckyou.webm (1280x720, 722K)

Windows

Is Linux Mint Debian Edition really faster than the normal Mint?

even throws a fit like a basedboy

which brown person created these subtitles?

Attached: poltards are not what they think.jpg (212x237, 14K)

subs taken from youtube

>Deepin
Spyware
>ChaletOS
Who?
>Puppy
Meant to be booted from a live usb, not installed
>ZorinOS
Maybe
>Gentoo
Not suitable for work

Seconded for Debian, you're already familiar with Ubuntu so just travel upstream.

gentoo
funtoo
Linux from scratch

>I'm not a complete retard when it comes to linux
>Gentoo is not suitable for work

Nowhere did I imply that he's not capable of installing gentoo. If it's for a work laptop gentoo genuinely does not seem like a good fit, he would most likely want something that can get up and running quickly for work without too much hassle. (if the >inb4 gentoo didn't clue you in enough)

Do you honestly think a minimal gentoo install is a hassle? Unless his laptop is from 2008 then it's not.

cheers, I went for Ubuntu 18.04 since I already had an image of it on a usb, but I'll bear Debian in mind for next time

Attached: 1478547554493.jpg (900x675, 152K)

how do i configure lxde-rc.xml
is there a gui-based tool so i can click options on/off? even basic features are only configurable from lxde-rc.xml ...????

ACs run proprietary firmwares after all.

no u

So dreamy

I'm trying to help a friend install wine-staging on ubuntu.
After adding the release key, it fails on this step:
sudo apt-add-repository 'dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/'

with an error that the repository contains no release file.
Can anyone help? I don't have ubuntu, so I don't know what his problem is

Attached: 1521933111567.jpg (1080x901, 174K)

what page did you get that command from?
i'm not sure but i think there should be 2 more words at the end?

We checked this
wine-staging.com/installation.html
and this
wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

I told him to add 'bionic main' to the end of the command, since bionic is the version he is using, but it prints the same error

the error in german:
E: Das Depot »dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic Release« enthält keine Release-Datei.
N: Eine Aktualisierung von solch einem Depot kann nicht auf eine sichere Art durchgeführt werden, daher ist es standardmäßig deaktiviert.
N: Weitere Details zur Erzeugung von Paketdepots sowie zu deren Benutzerkonfiguration finden Sie in der Handbuchseite apt-secure(8).

Realistically speaking, what kind of malware do I have to worry about if I'm a GNU/Linux distro (let's say Debian Sid) as it comes out of the box, without "hardening" the kernel or anything like that (and I know Linus says GR patches actually suck) ?

Assuming the user doesn't run the malware itself with super user privileges, of course.

What attack surfaces should a normal GNU/Linux user be careful about? Could there be any "driveby downloads" or other browser shenanigans that affect Linux?

If it matters I use Firefox with ublock origin and umatrix to block most crap anyway.

Attached: 1518142830419s.jpg (250x180, 5K)

*if I'm using a

If you block most crap there's basically nothing to worry. If you want more security you could use firejail.

I would imagine that "hardening" would help mitigate bugs in software that can be exploited to take advantage of a host system. An attacker would have to know the bug, and if the software is maintained it would be a zero day in something like debian.

I would use a hardened kernel and selinux if I was going to install software outside of established and maintained repositories.

how about malware injected via USB?
I don't know too much about these things but I remember reading a while back that the way some programs automounted USB's that were plugged in could potentially give it super user privileges or something like that?

Are all bets off when someone plugs in a shady USB to your computer without your knowledge? Or can you still safeguard against that?

Stallman is a basedoboyo unironically, I love free software, I use Libreboot with Parabola on my laptops, even have Libreboot and OpenBSD on my main desktop, but Stallman is a fucking basedoboyo, the way he speaks, laughs and stuff, it just screams onions

Almost nothing when it comes to generic attack vectors. It's not like there's even a directory where a download could be placed that will make it run on startup anyway. Just don't be stupid. Nothing should ever be installed outside of your home directory that doesn't come from your package manager, and you should also almost never use software that doesn't come from there at all unless you really trust the source.
But you'll always have to worry about non-generic means. The unknown. Or pissing off someone who wants to personally target you.

If you have open ports to the wide internet though, then that's a different matter.

Haha, screenshooted and posted to 9gag xD

Attached: USBKiller.webm (640x360, 2.77M)

>Realistically speaking, what kind of malware do I have to worry about in GNU/Linux
Anything that has Systemd, PulseAudio, Avahi, Dbus, Snap, Flatpak, GNOME, GTK and wayland in the name or as a dependency

Attached: 1526512502336.gif (696x599, 78K)

That's retarded. No sane distro would ever auto-run applications inside a USB as root. There is literally no reason I can think of whatsoever for that to occur.
That's windows-tier idiocy.

In fact I don't think any distros are set up by default to auto-run anything at all from mounted devices, even as a non-root user. Maybe ubuntu?

i have no idea

you can always open a repository in your browser dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu
and go to dists folder and it lists the available names

Doing that to a Thinkpad is immoral

ok he fixed it by switching from bionic to artful. why is ubuntu so much more confusing than.

as you can see "bionic main" would not be one of the options

>using 9gag
Kys

>Systemd
Check
>PulseAudio
Check
>GTK
Check

Welp

Looks like no battery rower off.
True usb-killer looks like the chip from Terminator-2.

Attached: ff2b9856.jpg (2048x1024, 150K)

>most actively developed software in linux, the list
You imply that they are "out to get you" (like microsoft would be with their closed source.
They know the zero day exploits and use them against you.

Is big brother always watching? Enjoy your openbsd

>Is big brother always watching? Enjoy your openbsd
Yes, he is, thanks I will and oh since this is public, good luck watching me with my PC disconnected from the internet almost all the time/with me using tails every time i have to use the internet for longer period, big brother!

Attached: 592.jpg (405x412, 189K)

>rower off
power off

It's no joke user. Anyone who honestly doesn't realize that GNU/Linux is "OS to spy on #1" as far as those agencies are concerned is a fool.
Not only is it the OS where almost all major corporations are storing their data, but do you think any even slightly informed criminal, terrorist, whatever is going to be using windows 10? No, they're going to be using some kind of unix based machine.

I'd say they are HIGHLY motivated to put backdoors and spyware on your open source OS. Even if that means creating an incredibly tangled web of software so complex that even kernel developers say it's too complicated to understand, and hide some backdoor in it in a clever way such that you can just say "oh, sorry that's just a bug" if anyone does ever find it? And people will use it too, AND EVEN DEFEND IT just like you're doing because hey "it's technically open source so that means we can trust it" right?

In times like this, do you really think it's wise to say we can just blindly trust the software coming from a company who actually gets a lot of funding from the US military?

hahahahah no. I'm not even european. Keep projecting ameritard.

just use piHole

Attached: 5.png (900x900, 286K)

I don't know what you're trying to say, because that seems completely irrelevant.

But for the record, I'm actually using systemd and pulseaudio and all that shit.
I'm not paranoid enough to think those government organizations give a single shit about me. But facts are facts, and the fact is there is definitely a huge motivation for them to have backdoors in GNU/Linux. Probably even more motivation than they'd have to pub backdoors on windows.

so your argument against open source is because it can be contributed to by malicious developers?

and your alternative is... openbsd?

there's a trade off between usability and security and you've got to make the decision somewhere. Fortunately I have the luxury of not feeling like I'm being targeted by the open source developers that make the software I use. I feel more comfortable using it than something closed source, where even the most glaring and deliberate backdoor would be a feature not a bug.

With all this talk about hiding backdoors in open source software, could someone please explain to a brainlet how that's even possible?

I've only used higher level programming languages like Julia and Python, so whenever people talk about obfuscated C code I have a hard time picturing how a program does something different from what it would seem to do without a lot of scrutiny.

That post you just replied to is the first one I've made in this conversation. I'm not the user you think I am, I am not arguing against open source, and I am not suggesting openbsd.
I'm simply stating the unfortunate reality that 1) There absolutely IS motivation to compromise GNU/Linux and 2) At the present time, Redhat developers and their software are the biggest avenue for delivering those exploits.

Whether they're actually happening or not, I cannot say for sure. But it's not crazy in the slightest to be suspicious. You'd almost have to be crazy to not be suspicious of their software.

Does Redhat or other big Linux devs have warrant canaries of some sort?

>more motivation that they'd have to PUT backdoors on Windows
Only because of the fact that MS bent completely over to the NSA and infact does have built in backdoors, meanwhile Linus has been confronted by them about placing kernel exploits and each time he said fuck off, his father even testified this publicly
But now with systemd, they don't need kernel exploits when everything in the kernel relies upon systemd

>I have a hard time picturing how a program does something different from what it would seem to do without a lot of scrutiny.
They're called CVEs and you can read about them in news or on CVE lists

thanks user, checking it out

There you go.
It's actually laughable if people think this stuff isn't really happening.

Although for the record, I don't think it's something normal users should be too concerned with. I don't think we're talking about "phone home" type software here. I think we're talking more about stuff that just stays quiet and doesn't do anything until you become a target of the fbi or something.
So I'm not that worried. I still don't like how systemd is developed though.

But what happens when the rules change and the FBI can be on your ass for the dumbest shit that today we would think is trivial?

Grab your guns and hop a flight to a tropical island with no extradition treaty.

Well I definitely don't think it's right. I just personally don't really have to worry unless they decide to scan everyone's hard drives for anime and throw all weeaboos in jail.
We can still fight against that stuff without having to run away if we don't have the need.
Just like you can fight for free software even if you use proprietary.

Ranger vs nnn, go!

I like ranger but dislike that its written in python. If someone doesn't rewrite it in a non-meme language I may do it myself.

Why would you say you prefer ranger to nnn?

>hating on the most successful hi-level language just to fit in

I started to learn about Linux some weeks ago and i installed the light distro of Ubuntu.

I gained some knowledge about how the graphic interface works and how to use the terminal, which should be my next step...?

Attached: 60163051_p0.png (708x1000, 553K)

Can someone try sending a libnotify notification with an ampersand in its body and tell me if it makes the title not bold?

There are at least six well used GNU+Linux interface. Ubuntu is not lightweight, Xubuntu and Lubuntu are. Learn more about the terminal and UNIX systems in general. Try to customize your system to the maximum. Bash scripting and hacking is very very useful. I consider Arch a good distro for learning purposes, also their wiki os great.

Attached: wassup.jpg (500x500, 41K)

Post example please.

send-notify "test" "&" and just see if "test" is in bold
also please tell me your notification daemon of choice

Depends on how much of a hurry youre in to learn it. If youre in a rush try out the standard commands like sed and cat and top and grep and so on as well as some bash. Otherwise just continue using it daily and you will become more familiar with linux way of doing things.

Check out ioccc.org/ to see how obfuscerated things can get.

how do i generate a random number based on a percent min and percent max in bash?
for example, if want a number like 100 be the base, and the newly generated number to be somewhere between 95% and 105% of 100, what do i use?

Using the ampersand only adds an empty line. Whatever is used in Xfce 4.12.

hmm, thanks user

>>>/dpt/

Yes, i was talking about Lubuntu. I will follow your advice, strating with scripting and then the customization.

Thanks.

Attached: 31945_haibane_renmei_kuuko.jpg (1280x720, 72K)

Must I have a boot partition in my new Arch.
It says only root and EFI are required.

in bash. not python.

heh that bitch died from a japanese cold

Does Freesync actually only work in the games listed on this page? support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/pages/how-to-enable-amd-freesync-in-linux.aspx

Bash scripting is also a programming language.

here's my random_number.sh

#!/bin/bash

test -z $2 && echo "Specify floor and range (min and max) value"
test -z $2 && return 1

zCONTINUE=1

test $1 -ge $2 && echo "$1"
test $1 -ge $2 && zCONTINUE=0

if [ $zCONTINUE -eq 1 ]
then
FLOOR=$1
RANGE=$2
#let FLOOR=FLOOR
let RANGE=RANGE+2

# Combine above two techniques to retrieve random number between two limits.
number=0 #initialize
while [ "$number" -le $FLOOR ]
do
number=$RANDOM
let "number %= $RANGE" # Scales $number down within $RANGE.
done
#echo "Random number between $FLOOR and $RANGE --- $number"
let number=number-1
echo "$number"
fi

Grammar

Lubuntu is from LXDE Ubuntu, not Light Ubuntu.

it's not required, you could just mount your root partition in /boot

on windows it works on pretty much any fullscreen or fullscreen borderless game but the whole gpu stack is different and most things are directx, linux is a LOT less consistent in that regard so even if a game is opengl and has freesync enabled it might not work because they didn't do a correct incantation
that said, that list reads more like a list of games they've tested and found it works rather than the definitive list of games that works
also keep in mind that freesync support on linux is incredibly new, even on windows it wasn't *that* long ago that freesync started to support games that ran in borderless fullscreen mode, there might be better freesync support in linux eventually but it's not going to happen overnight

see the problem i find is bash can't do floating point
i had to call a program 'bc' to do the floating point math

unless u did expr num * 100

Hey guys, wondering what's the difference between

if [ 1 -eq 1 ]
then
echo "1 equals 1"
else
echo "1 equals infinity"
fi

and

if [[ 1 -eq 1 ]]
then
echo "1 equals 1"
else
echo "1 equals infinity"
fi

Is KVM passthrough still a miserable cunt to set up?

I tried a couple years ago to do this because I do need a few windows only programs and don't mind a loss of a couple frames in games, but I can do most things fine in Linux but could never get that shit to work.

the only valid choice

Attached: getslack.png (1200x362, 69K)

fuck the systemd

How easy and how stable is it to install the custom freesync kernel?

don't use [[ ]], you don't need it

>Is KVM passthrough still a miserable cunt to set up?
depends on if you have the hardware necessary like your motherboard's iommu groups