What should Gnome do to beat KDE?

What should Gnome do to beat KDE?

Attached: kde-vs-gnome.jpg (674x516, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/nautilus-remove-ability-launch-binaries-apps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Switch to QT.

drop javascript

This could save gnome

Attached: 13409222.png (400x400, 19K)

If they won't put more options in by default, set the rest of the system up like the Shell where you can have extensions.

Nothing. GNOME is already the best DE. It's the standard for a reason, and everyone serious (i.e. not just trying out Linux for a day in a VM and ricing) uses GNOME. I was on KDE myself for years because it was supposedly better, but then I tried out GNOME and holy fuck it is amazing. GNOME is the only DE that gives you a polished, beautiful user experience. KDE isn't bad on technical merits, but there's no design sense. It's so hacked together and unpolished and disgusting.

I use gnome too but its far from amazing

end itself

ditto

Attached: anime-girl-crashing-computer.gif (320x240, 398K)

>have to download external tools to have an actually functional start menu, system settings
>bloated ui, requires .desktop editing if you don't want to use your computer as a tablet
>uses gtk+ 3
>uses double the ram kde uses

I mean kde isn't perfect but fuck gnome, man. kde is as close to windows-like so normies would have no problems adapting to its ui. plus it uses qt which isn't css shit.
I mean, gnome has its usecases but I seriously can't digest it, it slowed down opening its cringe application menu on my laptop(which is completely capable of running gaymes)

Not perform like utter shit. If it had performed better when I had tried it I would have probably not gotten sick of it and went for KDE.

make a good desktop environment

Just add checkbox for feature they think are useless but are not, a simple UI != a feature-less UI

It just feel like they are too lazy to keep dev it.

Attached: 53c13fca81af4a896a2c8ce5896f3daf02be9a74534344200444138b1675cb3d.png (953x934, 176K)

Nothing, GNOME is way better.

>but there's no design sense. It's so hacked together and unpolished and disgusting.

>a modular and rich of feature DE doesn't feel as simple as a DE for grandma

for god sake just look at the size of the headbar and come tell me that it isn't designed for blind peoples

Filepicker thumbnails

These dubs don't lie. But let's face it,
is far easier to do.

>It's the standard for a reason
How to spot a shill (maybe even a developer) of gnome.

What should Gnome do to stop sucking after 18 years of mismanagement? What should KDE do to stop being bloated, buggy and ugly piece of shit?

t. XFCE user

>to have an actually functional start menu, system settings
>start menu
I can tell you're trying to customize Gnome to behave like windows. Stop doing that. Actually use it without extensions for a few weeks and you'll find that it's actually better that way.

The headerbar is large so that the buttons are easy to click. It can afford to do this because of all the space it saves combining multiple bars into one.

>combining multiple bars
That can be customized oh I've removed
>into one.
Giant ugly piece of shit.

As soon as cinnamon gets its high memory usage down there's nothing gnome can really do to compete.

I am a former XFCE user. Why have you not switched back to Unity?

Go back to what it was in 2006.
Gnome 2.1x was the bast.

You mean MATE?

MATE adopted GTK 3 and started to become shit, now they're dripping their GTK 2 era forked programs in favour of whatever shitfest is GNOME using lately
The only usable GTK DE it's XFCE

The need to strip Gnome of all functionality, then they'll be able to dominate the desktop.

>The headerbar is large so that the buttons are easy to click
yeah for grandma and touchscreen

look at some pro app like Adobe, Maya, Blender, Eclipse,Visual... small buttons, why ? because they're not designed for grandma

>Gnome do to beat KDE
GTK2 + Gnome 2

>Nothing. GNOME is already the best DE. It's the standard for a reason,
yeah it is not, which is also shown by the adoption among users, which is the lowest from the old DE's.

KDE has the highest usage.

Because they have too many functions to have large clickable buttons and expect you to just learn the keyboard shortcuts. This is obviously different from something meant to be simple like a file manager or image viewer.

I love how there's memory leaks in GNOME, so after a few hours of use the animations get choppy and everything starts to drag.
Best DE my ass.

/thread

I really like this one. I personally love Gnome, but some of the shit they're pulling is inexcusable.

Become LGBTQ inclusive software

go back to gnome 2 UI
oh, wait. MATE is doing that. nm

Attached: gnome.jpg (500x713, 134K)

Gnome isn't trying to appeal to literally everybody though. If your niche needs aren't met why not just use different software instead of making countless threads online about how gnome users and devs are retarded?

Most people who don't like Gnome want a desktop that isn't Windows to act like Windows. Which is a problem with the user. Not the desktop.

Put a Linus-like in charge to tell all the macOS fags to fuck off.
Rewrite from scratch in Rust (yes, I know, different breed of faggots, make a better systems language with equal or better safety guarantees) and drop all its scripting languages replacing them with OCaml (or ReasonML if you can finally use it as a scripting language), making KDE look like an amateur pile of bugs.

Case in point the way people reacted like gnome devs just pissed on them by removing the ability to turn your desktop into this.

Attached: NZBeLvl.png (1920x1080, 3.33M)

I love Gnome's CSD and I wish KDE would adopt it. Cinnamon is probably the objectively best desktop environment right now because it's between Gnome's polish and KDE's usability.

He doesn't. He replies to countless threads that try to trick you into believing that gnome is good, while in fact it's a niche DE for tablet PCs and maybe smartphones.

Fire all the current devs and find some sane ones who understand that they should be ADDING features, not removing them.

- Enable file picker preview
- Support webp

Removing features to clean up the code is fine. What’s not fine is that they don’t add them again.

they dont clean up the code either

>i want to force u into doing this
Thats the apple mentality that linux shouldnt adopt.

Call some top tier kemo artist to draw a better mascot for it.

Better design, more responsiveness, less memory footprint.

Attached: Smug Anime Face.jpg (320x320, 9K)

>CSD

Attached: e173691633e383911b007f3acd5f30d2.png (1600x1000, 576K)

/thread

Is this a mockup or are my dreams coming true?

Not sure, got the link off an IRC chat. The guy who made it is getting annoyed because nobody has been working on the DWD thing, so maybe?

W H E N
H
E
N

Those were fixed a few months ago.

Won't happen while Martin is KWin's lead.

Dude's a competent programmer but is stuck in the past UX-wise.

>implying gnome isnt one big electron app

they can both become xfce

Gnome developers must stop being fuckin retards and should stop butchering and constantly WITH EVERY FUCKIN UPDATE cutting away parts of gnome! Also this shit DE is becoming more and more windows-like by literally occupying every possible process and turning itself into a OS inside the OS. Like this piece of shit Nautilus - the worst file explorer in existence which I couldn't believe, but actually sucks more than the simple windows file explorer. But the fact that it is 100% shit doesn't make it easy to change or abandon since it controls SO MUCH FUCKIN SHIT inside this shitty DE. I struggled for an year wanting to use Gnome but I couldn't. So I switched to KDE full time and I don't believe I'm getting back to gnome anytime soon, maybe never if they continue butchering it. Also why the fuck is such a simple DE so heavy on memory?

You can turn KDE into literally anything you can and want to look at but there are still retards who want to get something and use the default settings they give you that something with. And these are the people who mainly screech "KDE iz ugleh and unpolusheded!"

Attached: a90b20c8ac6c291e50301a1f2309d513a114f94b192c15abb42b59e81d6df908.png (1280x809, 205K)

what distro would you recommend?

> Kde does gnome better than gnome

It depends of course, but when it comes to distros that go well with KDE, I believe opensuse is the leader. Leap is a very stable base and tumbleweed is a kind of OK rolling release. On the other hand Suse is not as popular as ubuntu based distros which really bothers most people who just want something stable with lots of support and rich forums, to run their daily tasks on. In this case I find KDE Neon to be pretty ok. The only problem with it is, that I personally find it too stable to be fun. It's literally as stable as a distro could be. The KDE part is getting constant updates, but the "linux part" is based on the latest LTS ubuntu and logically ain't as frequently updated.
Distros close to Fedora are I believe not so suitable for KDE, since Fedora is where gnome comes from for the most part.
Anyway, if you are a user with experience or you would like a challenge that will get you into linux very quick - then Arch for example goes awesome with KDE. I do believe the sacred Gentoo is also absolutely ok with KDE.

unironically manjaro. I been using it for over a year and it's rock solid.
It used to suck, hence the memes.

Thanks for the lengthy reply, i shall do some research and perhaps try opensuse.

Simply become more like xfce

Manjaro as well, most definitely Manjaro is recommended as well!
The next version of OpenSuse Leap is coming in the next 5 days. I can't say how stable it will be, but if you don't have driver issues with older kernels like me, then the current Leap that is in support is a very stable choice.
Anyway, I have to say that again, from my experience KDE Neon seems to be the most stable and balances perfectly when it comes to new stuff vs stable stuff.

I've heard alot of good stuff about manjaro. But I want something that "just works". I want to spend 30min customizing and start working, and not worry about it anymore. That is possibly where KDE neon comes in?

Manjaro just werkz right off the live CD.

Long term too?

KDE is great in theory but horribly unstable in practice. I have used desktop Linux for 12 years, and KDE has always been in a perpetual state of ’finally being stable/bug-free’.

Well then yes. KDE Neon is exactly that. Customize it a bit to the point that you like it and get to work fast and secure. Another big reason for this are the repos and ppas. You will most likely not feel any lack of software. The ubuntu repos and very rich and neon uses them. Same goes for ppas. On the other hand imo this is the biggest problem with opensuse. The repos are kinda short on software.

>I was on KDE myself for years because it was supposedly better
I hear that desktop environment is supposed to be better, but, you know what they say...old habits, they die hard...

Thank you for your support, I will test them all in separate vm's and liveboot.

I haven't tried. Mostly I use Debian stable for that.

Yeah, it's based on Arch so it basically lasts until you fuck something up and can't fix it. No joke, I've had Arch installs last longer that LTS versions of Ubuntu. Rolling releases are great if you maintain them properly.

I don't really feel like it. I am using the latest plasma possible and it seems perfectly stable. I can't remember of any serious bugs I have encountered in the last months for example. Plasma after 5.8 did a huge leap in stability or at least that's how I see and feel it.
Can't say the same for gnome though. As someone above said it - "KDE is better at being Gnome than Gnome"

Arch isn't too bad, but lasting longer than Ubuntu isn't much of an achievement. Debianization is already a mistake, and Canonical makes their own distro by Debianizing Debian.

Get rid of CSDs. That shit is retarded.

>Plasma after 5.8 did a huge leap in stability or at least that's how I see and feel it.
See that's what I read plenty of times throughout the years. I haven’t tried KDE in the last year or two but that was honestly always my experience every time I tried it. It would start breaking easily, there was little consistency etc.
I then settled on Xfce for years and this year switched to Gnome on Debian and it hasn't acted up yet.
In theory I like KDE because it’s feature-packed, but in practice it has always been messy for me.

I installed Kubuntu 18.04 today, rebooted, updated, rebooted again, and opened up the software center thing that it comes with, selected a package to install, and it promptly crashed. I'm not writing off KDE just yet, but I'm starting to think Jow Forums memed me again.

The GNOME devs rather astutely realized the need for a polished, cohesive Linux desktop environment that would go in its own, well-defined direction to set itself apart from Windows, Mac OS, and the sea of Windows XP clone DEs. This was what Unity was trying to do, too.

Unfortunately, that "well-defined" direction they decided to go in was pure, unfettered retardation.

Kubuntu is the biggest meme since it started existing. Worst flavor of ubuntu ever. Most unstable KDE distro ever, biggest meme on the planet - NEVER USE IT! Neon should be the official KDE flavor for ubuntu. After all the entire KDE gets developed under Neon... that's why neon exists.

ANYWAY NEVER KUBUNTU! NEVER!

Going back to GNOME 2

In the next update you can't even double click a binary anymore, because "you should not do that": omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/nautilus-remove-ability-launch-binaries-apps

Whoops.

I was pissed at that but after giving it some thought kinda agree with it.

What about KDE on Debian Stable?

To be fair,Gnome got audited and given a CVE (vulnerability) for allowing this behavior. I don't know the complete story, but the explanation read like: "You wanna be dicks and do this to us? Fine. We'll fucking remove it completely!"

>Debian Stable
Don't use it, it's for servers and all packages are age-old.

Never tried it. It's supposed to be stable so I guess it is, but can't guarantee. The plasma-desktop version used on debian stable is pretty old (5.8 - 2 years old), but it's still in support so I believe it shouldn't be buggy.
I'm not familiar, never tried It so I guarantee nothing. Honestly my entire experience with Debian is limited.

GUH NOME is deprecated

Attached: plzkn.webm (1280x720, 2.14M)

Manjaro "just werks" it even has tlp installed by default and will set up bumblebee automatically with proprietary drivers if you have and optimus laptop

>reddit

>Don't use it, it's for servers and all packages are age-old.
That's honestly not really true, it's just LTS by default.

i think enlightenment fills that role rather nicely

Gnome is utter garbage. Lacks options and customization, the shell themes don't look right for all gtk programs, shitty animations, heavy ram usage, crap compositor, does it even support Wayland yet, and it being a literal tablet UI.

KDE is the ultimate DE when it comes to looking good with all QT programs, not being limited by options, lighter on ram (lighter then cinnamon and mate in many cases), it actually supports Wayland, and it is made as a proper desktop UI.

Attached: 1525906606282-g.jpg (350x459, 45K)

How will gnome fags ever recover?