/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed) (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>Recent news
OnePlus 6 released, complain about it here →

OnePlus 6 Avengers: Infinity War Edition unveiled
gsmarena.com/oneplus_6_avengers_infinity_war_edition_is_just_tad_more_expensive_than_the_standard_one-news-31119.php

LG G7 ThinQ goes on sale
gsmarena.com/lg_announces_global_roll_out_for_g7_thinq-news-31115.php

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s Review
phonearena.com/reviews/Xiaomi-Mi-Mix-2s-Review_id4522

Attached: 1508102947748.jpg (1200x675, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-6/how-to/guide-how-to-unlock-bootloader-qualcomm-t3769930
forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/05/16/google-pixel-3-pixel-3xl-design-specs-camera-release-date/#7126195778a8
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_pro-8893.php
zdnet.com/pictures/10-best-smartphones-not-made-in-china/
youtube.com/watch?v=nhvxtxBBJVc
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

shut it down.

Attached: 1494379165286.jpg (1000x581, 119K)

Best entry level phone for a normie? want it to be as cheap as possible but not disposable chinkshit, hast to be "small", so no big phones like the moto g or newer iphones. i'm thinking 5 inches.
Camera has to be at least decent, rest doesn't really matter. Standard stuff like 2gb of RAM and a decent quad-core to run bloated shit like facebook and facebook messenger.
Gorilla glass or equivalent is a must, ideally spill resistant.
Country is Mexico carrier can be whatever the fuck really although Telcel preferred because they have the best coverage but it really doesn't matter.
The Redmi 5A looks literally perfect but lacks gorilla glass and this phone will be dropped a fucking lot so i'd like if it can stand at least a few falls before having to replace the screen

who /Lenovo Z5/ here?

>4 TB
>5k battery
>latest SD
>98% sbr
>looks sick as fuck
>headphone jack
>removable battery
>double sim + sd card slot

XIAOMI REDMI 5 PLUS OR XIAOMI MI A1???

AAAAAAH I can't decide. How shit is MIUI? How shit is A1's battery life?

You can just flash LineageOS if you want stock android on the Redmi 5 Plus.

But if you're considering the 5 Plus, you might as well spend a few more shekels and get the note 5 pro.

june7

Attached: 1526686164839.png (1256x700, 718K)

Kys

Attached: mari_meme.jpg (960x750, 53K)

Do I get the M6 Note 3gb or the Redmi 5 Plus 3gb? My buddy is telling me to spring for the M6 but I'm still not sure.

Attached: Screenshot_20180517-231556~2.png (448x417, 152K)

Just got 2 se’s for $99 each st bestbuy
What can I do with them?

Destroy them in the quickest and most effective way.

ebin

Thoughts on the Menu 15 plus?
Is that Exynos going to be an issue? Really loving the aesthetics and reviews hype the camera up as quite competent.

Attached: meizu-15-plus-01.jpg (700x634, 56K)

Hahahahahahahahaha

Attached: chinkphone buyers.jpg (1440x1096, 408K)

>unlocked s9 in the US is still on the february patch
what a fucking joke

Are there any Android phones designed by white people?

is a oneplus 5t worth getting at ~300?

Yes, definitely.

Brainlet here
What's the deal with Nokia phones having locked bootloaders? Does this mean if I order a Nokia X6 from China I won't be able to flash a custom ROM?

ausfag here looking for a phone for 150-200usd.

needs
>3.5mm headphone jack
>sdcard slot
>preferably 5-5.5' screen

Which last years flagship phone should I buy for around 500 dollarydoos? I'm thinking a lg g6 or Nokia 8 maybe

Meizu M6 Note

Attached: S80519-13325240.jpg (1440x3069, 402K)

Good advice. The Pro version has a newer Snapdragon 636 with better cameras. Also more RAM and internal storage. The same can't be said for the A1.

Kernel source codes haven't been released for the M6 Note, while the Redmi Note 5 line is on its of being known as one of the most developer friendly Xiaomi devices (like the predecessor Redmi Note 4). The Pro variant has better cameras than Meizu M6 Note.

>What's the deal with Nokia phones having locked bootloaders
Not all recent lines of Nokia phones have permanently locked bootloaders, although the process is convoluted and payment is required.
forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-6/how-to/guide-how-to-unlock-bootloader-qualcomm-t3769930
As you'd imagine, not much beyond unlocking the bootloader is possible.

Coming from a fucking Note 3 what is the best modern phone I can get right now for ~$250

Attached: @N-O_--984068813548212224.webm (960x720, 1.82M)

Modern phones are mostly a downgrade from a Note 3

i can sacrifice the removable battery and the microsd if it means not having a slow as fuck phone like this anymore.

Attached: @N-O_-_1-917748964614561793.webm (640x360, 272K)

What are the cheapest phone that supports USB pd charging?

My Moto g4 Plus seems like it's about to get thrown into a bin if the replacement battery I ordered doesn't fix the random shutdowns I've been having.
What's the current /spg/ recommended budget phone in that tier? No chinkshit pls.

Unless you're American, chinkshit is the only shit in that price range worth getting.

forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/05/16/google-pixel-3-pixel-3xl-design-specs-camera-release-date/#7126195778a8
>Pixel 3 all but confirmed to have a notch

Jesus christ, what even are phones anymore

I want off this ride.

why in the actual fuck are androids trying to be iphone? I don't understand it.

Like nobody with an iPhone who is dedicated to it is gonna buy an iPhone. Are normies really going "yeah but his phone doesn't have a notch so lol"

How else do you expect to implement the light sensor and front camera while having the biggest footprint for the screen?

Do you seriously want phones to have cameras on the chins or pull slim bezels like the note?

Leaffag here. Upgrading from a Nexus 5. Originally thought of going to a Pixel 2, but having second thoughts especially with Pixel 3 being ~5 months away. I do need something now though.

Should I:

A: Buy a decent budget option (like a Moto G6?) to tide me over and just wait until next year to get a flagship? If this, is there anything better than the G6 at the moment?

B: Just get a Pixel 2 / S9 / V30 / etc. now.

I want a phone without a front facing fucking camera, and light sensors can be implemented on an OLED screen.

Can PDP/Engine on Samsung be uninstalled or at least put to sleep after I'm happy with my debloat settings without adverse effects?

Thoughts on the Nokia 7 plus?

I'm thinking about getting it
It has a great battery, expandable storage and all other shit is good enough

Only downsides are that it's maybe a bit too big 6 inches and the bootloader ain't unlocked so I can't root and shit

Attached: 1523755465487.jpg (907x778, 72K)

>muh bezels :((((((((
are you people fucking 12?

Attached: 1523881775141.png (1550x1409, 721K)

It's sad when it's the chinks who were trying to copy iPhone that are now standing out for not following their trends...

Attached: irony.jpg (1440x1560, 240K)

Now wait for a company to make a phone just for yourself.

Unless you seriously expect them to kill front cameras in the social media era

>anime
>are you people 12
:^)

>using the smiley with a carrot nose

I still use the Note 3 and finding a decent upgrade for 250 is pretty hard. Chinkshit is the only option you really have of that price range

Not an argument weeb

b8ed for that exact non argument

Attached: 1473965509432.png (931x969, 19K)

samefag

DESU for performance and battery you'd be hard pressed to find a decent upgrade. At most you'll just see a better camera, speaker, screen, etc.
And all minor incremental upgrades.

Best I can think of is a previous gen flagship like a Zuk Z2, Meizu Pro 6 Plus, Xiaomi Mi 5, Honor 8, etc provided you can get a good deal on them.

Attached: S80519-153320.jpg (1440x2560, 445K)

Best midrange phones that look good?

What's the cheapest direct/complete upgrade I can get coming from a Nexus 5X?

Honor 9 can be had for around 350 dollarydoos.

Pixel 2 xl?

If it's really that unbearably slow, there must be something wrong with the software.

Best smartphone for emacs?

>Pixel 2 xl?

Does the Nexus 5x really hold up so well that the cheapest complete upgrade is the newest flagship?

I missed the word cheapest, my bad.

Is chinkshit an option?

I would've gotten one by now if I was sure I could get one with band 4 LTE, but that only seems to be on the Chinese models. Depends on your carrier mostly I guess.

Xperia XA2.

Eh, I'd prefer not, but if it's significantly cheaper and just as reliable I'd give it a shot.

I am unlocking bootloader on my redmi note 4 snapdragon. Which OS should I install as there seems to be 8.1 based ones too

Attached: 1526674680757.jpg (1754x2048, 356K)

Any good upgrade from LG v20?
>must have good DAC
>3.5mm jack and SD card slot
>preferably removable battery

I really like the Huawei p20 pro twilight colour scheme,
but it has no 3.5mm jack and I don't think it has a DAC.

Would you like to keep your headphone port?
Chink flagships have been quite reliable in my experience, I've had experiences with Xiaomi, Zuk, Meizu, and Honor. Not perfect phones but well worth the price and no build quality issues with them.

LG seems to be the only manufacturer giving a shit about a quality DAC anymore, so you might as well go V30. Just no more removable battery.

Lineage if you just want anything but stock and don't know what you're doing

Slim if you have taste for style but care nothing for function

Dirty if you have pepe's saved in the folder you saved that picture in

AOSP / Pure if you're boring but want it to work

Viper if you literally need your phone to last several days.

Librem

>Would you like to keep your headphone port?
Don't care about it either way

If the build quality's good, then yeah, definitely willing to try it out

Have shitty phone and want something people will not laugh at anymore.

I'm pretty new but I saw the OnePlus 6 review from unbox theraphy and it looks amazing. But I want to ask when I'm going to be able to buy it. I don't know if buying it at launch on the net is possible at the presented retail price, or if its going to be scarce afterwards leaving only scalpers.

They sell them here in physical stores in Europe so I'm fine on the band regard

>open the xiaomi theme app
>all the most popular themes are ios wannabes by pajeets
100% certain the reason we have notches now is because they want them rupees

They'll laugh at your OP6 notch

>But I want to ask when I'm going to be able to buy it.

May 22 officially, probably June 15 or something depending on where you are. There will definitely be scalpers if you need it the first 2 weeks it launches, but after that you'll probably find it fairly easily.

Get the 5T unless you're a minecraft apologist

My boyfriends phone is broken and instead of buying him a new one, I want to give him my op3t and get something new for myself

Why is everything so fucking trash now? The OnePlus 5t and s8 appear to be the only options without a retarded notch that aren't a downgrade from my current op3t

Attached: 21332.jpg (665x720, 117K)

Phones have reached market saturation, so marketing teams are calling the shots now. The notch exists so marketers can claim 90% screen to body ratio, etc.

Why doesn't he deserve something nice?

In this case I may wait for the next flagship since V30 just seems to be a upgraded V20 with no removable battery.

How about LG G7 thinQ?
I was also considering Sony xeperia XZ2 but I couldn't find a reliable source that stated that whether it has a hifi DAC.

But the guy showed you can deactivate it.

As someone who had a redmi 4 pro and suddenly switched to a redmi 5 plus, I actually quite like MIUI. It's very smooth and has some neat features, such as being able to run two different versions of the same app (2 whattsapps for example), iPhone X-like gestures, swiping 3 fingers down for screenshot etc.

Just like someone else mentioned, a note 5 pro would obviously be better, but I'm loving my 5 plus, specially after installing the google camera mod. I posted a few pics on the previous thread.

XZ2 has Sony's LDAC, but they dropped the 3.5mm jack

I know the Redmi line doesn't get LTE from T-Mobile bands, but has anyone here tested it? How much bandwidth can you get out of 3G bands with it?

>Old phone broke when it got run over by a bus
>on a budget so decide I'm gonna go for a chink phone like Jow Forums is always raving about
>Get the Redmi Note 5A
>look at specs online, bretty good
>order it
>Turns out the version they have where I live is FUCKING DOWNGRADED
>AND COSTS MORE ON TOP OF THAT AT LEAST 50% MORE EXPENSIVE

What

The

FUCK

Attached: 1431151456300.gif (320x192, 874K)

>4 TB
don't be misleading. The micro SD card slot will support up to 4tb through its formatting. There are no 4tb SD cards on the market, let alone micro SD.
>5k battery
Maybe from quiktel chinkware, but Lenovo chinkware is more fashion oriented. No way would they go 5k
>98% sbr
Could be tru, but if the designs are as the picture goes, then a case is mandatory. These bezelless phones should be indented inside the casing so the lips of the back panel could protect the front from drops.
>headphone jack
>removable battery
Please be true.

ZTE Blade V8 SE user

It's really cheap but not bad cheap. It's actually great quality. Super sturdy phone, it won't break from any fall at all. Also performs better than phones in the same price range and has that nice metal back cover.

I was waiting for the ZTE Blade V9 but I got memed into getting the Redmi Note 5A only to find out those fucking chinks shipped a downgraded version

Have you downloaded any ram before?

Well in that case the first budget option that comes to mind is the Meizu Pro 6 Plus considering it's roughly 250usd now and basically a Samsung Galaxy note 7 minus the pen and fire.

If you don't mind spending more there's the Xiaomi Mi 6, one plus 6, Meizu 15, Honor 9, or basically any current Chinese flagship with positive reviews.

Alternately there's cheap S8s on the market now iirc. All of these should offer a significant upgrade over the SD808 and 2GB RAM in your phone, as well as camera performance, sound quality, screen, battery, etc.

Perfect, thank you.

I'll probably splurge a little more for the Meizu 15 - shame about OP6's notch though.

Lmao I just got here. Do people really buy low quality chinese shit? I dont fucking brlieve this.

You don't need to sacrifice the micro SD card, nor should you. I would wholeheartedly recommend Redmi Note 5 Pro.
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_pro-8893.php
Everything I've said applies to as well.

There's a very short list of people in this world that I hate.

You haven't made the list yet, but by golly you seem to be trying your best.

You can't deactivate the notch.
I'm not against the notch as a concept itself, the smaller Android ones leave room for notifications on the side which I think is neat.

What I hate is that they're only doing it because of Apple.

>5k battery
>Maybe from quiktel chinkware, but Lenovo chinkware is more fashion oriented. No way would they go 5k
This might be a new record for the amount of nonsense meme-speak in a single sentence here. Either way, Lenovo P2 has a 5000 mAh battery and can last 3 days.
>headphone jack
>removable battery
>Please be true.
I would the "available worldwide" to be true as well.

Would like*

are oneplus chinkphones or not

zdnet.com/pictures/10-best-smartphones-not-made-in-china/
Almost all are.

But this indian man says it sucks:
youtube.com/watch?v=nhvxtxBBJVc

I cant find a store online that will let me buy it here in the US.

I've never gotten a chinese phone though. How well would it manage here in the US. Can I get the latest android on it or lineage OS or something?

Attached: @N-O_-_1129_URL_11_29_1129_RT_1129_30_URL-939842818415005697.webm (720x1280, 1.65M)

>But this indian man says it sucks:
He didn't say the device sucked, far from it. He even mitigated the camera bump "problem" himself, with a case which is in the box of the phone. Hybrid SIM isn't an issue, since there are adapters which mitigate this as well. Loudness can be enhanced by installing ViPER4Android, as the device is developer friendly. Charging time is under 2 hours - nothing to complain about. And lastly, camera performance can be drastically improved even on the Plus variant just by installing a Google Pixel camera port.
>I cant find a store online that will let me buy it here in the US.
This is the real problem.

I want it to be June already

Attached: blackberry-athena-keytwo-leak-angles-001-1280x1217.jpg (1280x1217, 144K)

He gets my dick instead ;)

>recommends me a phone I cant even buy

How do the top chink phones screen compare to the Note 8 /spg/?