Suddenly Flash seems more appealing

Suddenly Flash seems more appealing

Attached: 1*aBsgPiEeOE5lLoippRm7BA.png (1200x630, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079YXHHY4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526725548&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=macbook pro ram 4gb&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is Javascript really so useless that you need to leverage an entire browser to make something usable? Why hasn't this language died yet?

>Why hasn't this language died yet?
People are lazy so they don't want to learn a whole new thing to do pretty much the same as the tools they already know well. You'd need a huge wave of new people who use the new thing for it to catch on

I've seen an Apple shill, with 4gb of soldered RAM in his OverPricedBook Pro, trying to run macOS, Chrome, iCloud, OneDrive(?) and three Electron apps at the same time. His soldered SSD was not very happy from all the swapping. I bet his SSD won't last 6 months.

>Is Javascript really so useless

It's not that. Javascript is just a scripting language for a browser. You use it to control browser behavior so you need a browser for it to make sense.

>Javascript is just a scripting language for a browser
found the NEET

but what i said is true?

> what is Node.js

> Suddenly Flash seems more appealing

Said no one ever. There is no reason to go back to the age of insecure exploit ridden Adobe Flash with malware ads all over sites.

Chrome = renderer + v8 javascript engine
Nodejs app = local utlities + v8 Javascript engine
Electron app = local utilities + v8 javascript engine + renderer

Nodejs originally started as a hack to test javascript code without a browser lmao, but is basically a web browser with the renderer, but electron apps basically put the renderer back in.

No MacBook Pro comes with 4gb ram you stupid poorfag.

a mistake?

Underrated

of course it isn't, you neet, because nodejs doesn't need a browser to run, you mongol

you're just an uninformed poor bastard who'll never get a job in the industry.

Didn't webcucks unironically try to make desktop Flash a thing years ago?

Yeah, JS and Electron are completely safe!

Are there even any good software that run on electron? I doubt I ever need to install this shit.

What kind of fucking retarded argument are you trying to make with this?

I let you think you about it.
Even a retard like you should be able to understand it.

No one remembers that you have been able to run run .js scripts directly from windows since ages of old.

>I let you think about it

I did, and I came to the conclusion you're a fucking idiot.

What I don't understand is the whole argument for electron apps is that you can easily write something.
So why haven't anyone made something useful with it yet?
You would think that at a minimum, you could quickly turn a website into a better native app, but they can't even do that.

If you understand and you find it retarded then coming up with an actual counter-argument should be no problem.

There are useful things, depending on your definition of useful. Discord, maybe, but everyone here likes to pretend the only social interaction they have online is IRC and Jow Forums.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079YXHHY4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526725548&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=macbook pro ram 4gb&psc=1
You are an idiot

1 iq brainlet

Well I mean applications that are more interesting than a text field and an network interface.
Something useful like photoshop, inventor, or something of that caliber.
Even something like a replacement for one of the million matlab toolboxes would be cool to see.
Even a proper outlook replacement would be cool to see.

The same way balls cancer seems more appealing to eye cancer.

Look for mailspring and gravit designer

Even IE6 and VBScript looks appealing now

Shit

>Voluntarily programming in Javascript

Attached: 1344618430840.jpg (713x628, 59K)

fucking retard bitch lol

were regressing in terms of sotware quality, I don't see a way this trend will reverse...

Javascript can do less than a browser can. Simple things like controlling the back and forwards buttons are not possible in javascript alone.

>Oh no, more options for people that are trying to create a product
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

not him but your argument is
>this is bad so lets go back to something worse
can't tell if you're serious or not cause it's very idiotic

Name one good software made with this

vscode
well that was easy

based vscode is the electron goldenboy

>vscode
lol
I don't know what it is about Microsoft, but they somehow manage to do the exact same thing with every single piece of software they put out: stuff it with useless garbage and slow it down, and hide every necessary feature in a clusterfuck maze of menus and buttons.

>slow it down
they have actually optimized the fuck out of it, keep in mind its running on electron. the document rendering is pretty impressive.

Node.js is a sinful abomination against everything javascript was ever meant for.

java. JAVA, just reflect on that word JA VA, jarva jarvah java. It's a crap word that implies a volcanic island full of shitskins

Slack uses it, so if you have an actual job you're probably using Slack. Which is funny because they took the time to write native Slack clients for iOS and Android, why the fuck don't they just make a native desktop program as well.

VSCode is probably the most optimized electron app out there. It uses ~300-700MB for a huge project with 10+ files open. Which is fucking laughable compared to something like Vim or even Sublime, but compared to Atom which chews a few GB to do the same, and it can't even handle files larger than 2MB.

VSCode is p great desu.

>Which is fucking laughable compared to something like Vim or even Sublime
So why would anyone consider VS Code when you've just named 2 far superior alternatives?

How is this any different from Java and the JVM?

Absolute garbage, that's what it is. Also vert.x is better and does the same and more.

VS is far superior for
1) powershell
2) typescript
and is still a great choice for various other langs/envs with well maintained extensions. Not sure why you think a single editor is going to be the best for every environment, are you a larper?

shut the fuck up, java has nothing to do with javascript, also java is great and with jdk 9 it doesnt even use a lot of ram

>you need a browser for it to make sense
Not really. There are plenty of scripting engines that incorporate JavaScript other than browsers, and Node.js manages to take only the JavaScript engine from Chrome, leaving the rest alone. You could use Node.js with Qt (or just use Qt with QML, which is sort of a JavaScript++) and avoid embedding an entire HTML/CSS rendering engine in your application.

JavaScript should stay in the browser.

it will, it's just that the browser will take everything over

Electron is what happens when web """devs""" want their shit working standalone and can't be assed to learn a real language.

Sooner or later we'll be running a dozen different instances of Blink/Gecko with only one of them being an actual browser.

Yeah man i hate electron, give me a clusterfuck of #ifdef _WIN32s and poorly maintained build scripts for "the other supported platforms". My times not worth anything so i resent any tradeoff where some performance is sacrificed for accelerated development. Btw can you help me find work i can't seem to get past any phone interviews lately?

Attached: 1245679035737.gif (400x400, 2K)

>obfuscated telemetry
>close any issues mentioning it
>good software

Apps made with Electron: Slack, WhatsApp, Discord, Atom, VSCode, Github, Skype, Twitch.tv, Postman

Apps using the Chromium Embedded Framework: Spotify, Evernote, FB Messenger, Sling TV, Steam, Uplay, Amazon Music

Desktop apps running on a browser is already proven to work. Get with the times, grandpa.

>let ship bloated browser for every compiled desktop programs, it just works :O

Attached: 1522144617954.jpg (700x734, 107K)

none of these issues are related to electron

I can tell you have never shipped a non-trivial cross-platform desktop application

seems like it does just work indeed!

Lmao, so basically everything worthwhile
Meanwhile, name one useful native application.
>errrr what about tux racer??
I see the DPT is spilling over after implementing fizzbuzz in C for the 50th time

>not having bullbusting fetish
get on the NEET lifestyle

>implying electron is the only way to build cross-platform programs
Where do you retards come from?

nobody is implying that, stop making shit up

This.

>My times not worth anything so i resent any tradeoff where some performance is sacrificed for accelerated development
It should be you fucking entitled baseddev

>all these neckbeards who think 100mb of ram usage less is worth moving the release date a full year into the future

lol

I knew web devs sucked and couldn't code for shit, but a full year for actually trying to do things right? Well, damn.

what you fail to understand is how easy and quick it is to hire 20 webshits to build the shit in short order

hiring someone like you for a native project however is probably more strenuous cuz you seem sorta like a cunt

development time when using the alternatives is always going to be much slower than with electron, no matter how much of a elite hacker you are (and you're a larping fizzbuzzer anyway so whatever)
there's nothing that compares with html/css productivity-wise when making UI
QML can come relatively close in SOME cases, but then you would be using a lot of javascript anyway and on top of that waste time doing long 2-step compilation and interfacing sepples stdlib and boost types with QList, QString and other QShit that even Qt experts tell you to use the least you can because they're shit but will never be dropped because of backwards compatibility

history.back()
Try looking things up before you make a point that's completely invalild.
Also, ECMAScript can be useful without a browser, node.js exists. I guess people are too lazy to wrap a widget toolkit (like GTK+) into a native module, and that's why we're stuck with electron.

ive never had a problem with flash.
and compared to the obscenely bloated modern alternatives it looks pretty good.

var one1 = 1
var one2 = "one"
var one3 = "1"
var one4 = var1 + var3
all work
can't do that in java

so what's the right way of doing webdev according to Jow Forums?
>inb4 not doing webdev

but this is just asking for bugs
people are moving to TypeScript just so they can avoid it

>Apps made with Electron: Slack, WhatsApp, Discord, Atom, VSCode, Github, Skype, Twitch.tv, Postman
so THAT'S why they're so incredibly shitty, huh.

Even Java desktop is better than this.
You shouldn't be so proud of that

That's just syntax. From a functional point of view they do the exact same thing.

I don't get electron.

Anything that can be done with electron can be done with QML, you can even use cancerscript with it (that will be transpiled to native code). And get better performance.

Hell, even JavaFX is better at this point.

>steam came out before it's framework
hmmm

Visual Studio Code is really the reference for the fact that you can make cool shit with Electron.

This outlier doesn't stop Electron from being an abomination, however.

Electron is popular because the docs are pretty good and there are a million resources to getting exactly your app published step by step. Not to mention the pretty huge community.
QML doesn't have that, JFX doesn't have that.

Doesn't matter anyways. Electron is dying in favor of PWAs, and platform makers are moving to make modern native development less of a chore for the programs that simply cannot be PWAs.

>asking for bugs
only if you're a brainlet, desu. It's not hard to follow and code correctly... regardless of variable type.
I wouldn't try to add a string to a string, for example. and doing that in C++ vs javascript the only difference is JS would actually do it successfully. but what in your brainlet mind would want you to even try to do it in the first place?

HTA programs are even more appealing than 100M electron/CEF based programs that can't do it's job properly without leaking tons of memory

>not doing webdev
this but unironically

>people are moving to TypeScript just so they can avoid it
This

>So why haven't anyone made something useful with it yet?

are you joking or really that retarded?

Apps that you mentioned that are not complete shit: None.

>Said no one ever. There is no reason to go back to the age of insecure exploit ridden Adobe Flash with malware ads all over sites.

I used flashblock for years but browsers still don't have reliable ways to block html5 video