Forums

does anyone else miss forums and BBSes? it seems like it's harder to find good places to discuss any topics on the internet anymore.
>imageboards
fun for shitposting and memes but no real discussion going on
>reddit
witch hunts, aggressively progressive ideology, can't post anything controversial without some s oylet downvoting your entire post history
>IRC
almost entirely question-answer oriented. no one wants to have a converstation. most channels are dead anyway
>social media
are you kidding me

where do you go for thoughtful discussions on the internet?

Attached: vbulletin4-homepage.jpg (1267x966, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reactos.org/forum/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>where do you go for thoughtful discussions on the internet?
S|A forums.

Hard to believe anyone still pays for that.

I only use Jow Forums don't really know where else go to it seems most communities have died and everyone moved to social media

Fuckoff lowtax.

>where do you go for thoughtful discussions on the internet?
I've only used Jow Forums, since 2005.

The internet is an entertainment platform now. No place for thoughtful discussions now.

Image boards have gems in between the turds. Reddit isn't that bad as long as you unsub from all the shit default subreddits and stay away from politics. I do miss forums though, they're still there but not as many users.

pay? it's a free forum.
what does this even mean?

Forums are too slow for the rapid pace of the modern web. Same with how personal fansites and wikias.

where?

>pay? it's a free forum.
Used to be you had to pay for an account on SA. Is that not still the case?

Discourse works fine.

>what does this even mean?
You must be 18+ to use these boards.

This is all too true.

semiaccurate com

forums were always free.
Trolls jumped in and demerjian closed the forum for over 5 years, that I know off.
last year, in september I think, they opened the registrations again.
I don't know if they are open now.

i've been looking for a good IRC community. I was idling in lainchan for a while but that crowd is questionable

I've never liked forums, unless they are specialized (and I mean, very specialized)

anyway, I have a small fun project, and I'm wondering if you goys could help me with this:
the idea is to have an open wifi access point, and a web application running behind it, so that people can enter the website from the AP, and leave messages, discuss shit, etc.
I've been looking for any kind of responsive discussion webapp (forums/imageboards/etc) made with performance-oriented, multiplatform languages like Go and Rust, but I can't find anything good enough (well supported, with a nice user interface, etc.) to use.
do you have any suggestions?

they thought you were talking about somethingawful

i've been lurking in freenode for a couple of days but it's all just tech support questions. and rizon is a bunch of circlejerk pantsu fags.

>they thought you were talking about somethingawful

This. He said S|A. Only S|A that matters was something awful.

just write it in php, it will take you a day

ReactOS still uses forums

reactos.org/forum/

freenode has a shitload of channels. biggest channels are for FOSS projects, but you can find many other non-official channels.
start with, say, ##chat @ freenode . there are specialized channels, too, like ##security and ##electronics , which are fun

>I was idling in lainchan for a while but that crowd is questionable

Bunch of l33t h4ck3r pseudo-intellectual cyber punk larping faggots.

forums still exist

when the whole pantsu split thing happened i was in their channels for a bit but it didn't seem like too much dev talk. freenode alway struck me as just a place for open source projects.

I've tried to start a new IRC server a few times and even posted it here, but I got like one dude who only wanted to talk about guro and nobody else lol

There are a lot of active forums still.

there are one or two folks in there who are decent enough to talk to but I generally agree. I'm old, but sitting in that room made me feel _old_

>they thought you were talking about somethingawful
KEK, I thought I was on a technology board.
First time I hear about that something awful.

>First time I hear about that something awful.

lurk two years before posting

not the other guy, but not everyone knows or cares about something awful. I myself have been in Jow Forums for some 10 years, and only heard about SA a couple of years ago.

You're lying. You don't use Jow Forums for ten years and only hear about SA a few years ago. SA is fundamental to 4chans beginnings and growth. Where do you think moot was lurking and posting before he started Jow Forums? Where do you think Jow Forums was first posted about?

>SA is fundamental to 4chans beginnings and growth
and who the fuck cares about that? it's like saying, "I'm catholic because I care about the history of the catholic church", doesn't even make sense.
I come here only because there are lots of people, and sometimes they are brilliant, interesting and/or funny, not because I give a shit about moot or about the history of this website.

i understand this reference

Your post is irrelevant. Your attempt at an argument with catholicism as an analogy is irrelevant. Why you come here is irrelevant. What you think of the people is irrelevant.

You claimed to have been coming here for ten years and only heard about SA in the last few. That's bullshit.

You must be 18+ to post on these boards. Now leave underaged b&.

Attached: bollocks.gif (400x312, 1.96M)

>Your post is irrelevant
says the one who thinks people come here because of SA, implying everyone knows or care about it, and ALSO implying those who don't are underage
I'm not sure if this is bait or if you are simply retarded

>Everything i don't like is bait.
I bet you came to Jow Forums from Reddit.

>First time I hear about that something awful.

You must be 18+ to post on this board.

no you fucking dumb cunt, it's like living in a country without knowing why and how it has become a country. you're full of shit and you should go back

See this is a much better analogy that actually works.

Attached: bullshit.gif (400x218, 1.74M)

Thread made me wonder, do classic chat rooms still even exist in any capacity?

SOL, everything public gets ruined from all sides.

IRC is the classic chatroom. Things like MSN chat back in the day were web layers on top of their own hacked up IRC protocol (ircx).

>implying people know or care about the history of their country
>implying people know or care about the REAL history of their country

also,
>he cares about his country
top kek, you are retarded

also,
>not living in a country simply because of self-interest

sage goes in all fields.

I remember back in the day, mIRC scripting, someone came up with a DLL/connection script that allowed you to login to MSN web based chat rooms with an IRC client and you could then run havoc because you were able to issue a lot of commands that didn't work via the web client. Vincula script (from memory).

You're a moron.

I troll my work slack this way. They have IRC and XMPP gateways. they 'removed them' but then it turns out just moved them over to legacy. Lots of fun. Also there is no authentication on slack webhooks it's just a fucking hash-plug in the URL.

>Reddit isn't that bad
Why are these people here? Get out

lowyat.net

>thoughtful discussions
>internet

Attached: 1430702029954.png (256x286, 182K)

Did a quick google and yes. Vincula Script by Neo and it looks like eXonyte was the author of the MSN ocx file and script. I can't believe how long ago that shit was. 14+ years. I was turning 20 back then. Old as shit.

>does anyone else miss forums
oh good lord no, when i got to Jow Forums in 2003 that was it for forums, never touched them by choice again

imageboards and irc are all that is needed

Fuck off newscum.

it's all good user I'm right there with you. 30's are looking dark

>muh spechul sekrit klub xd
kys

Nobody implied that. They implied you're an underage faggot that is lying about how long you've used Jow Forums. If anyone should kill themselves, it's the person that feels they have to lie on the internet.

bragging about how long you've been using Jow Forums is like bragging about how long you've got with a malignant tumor and done nothing about it. I only say this because I've been sitting here for a decade and all I have to show for it is deeply ingrained self-loathing.

>implying anyone is bragging other than the guy boasting about being here ten years and only learning about SA a few years ago.

>I only say this because I've been sitting here for a decade and all I have to show for it is deeply ingrained self-loathing.
That's your problem. Not ours. You sound like the type of cunt that blames everyone and everything else for your problems instead of accepting your a fuck up.

this is why imageboards are not good for real discussion

Lad did you skip your zoloft or something? Your post is the real problem with this board these days--young kids with zero fucking chill. Anybody whose been around can read my post and appreciate the genuine self-deprecating humor that this board is rife with.

Wait for the veins in your head to get level with your scalp again before you post more m8 you're gonna give yourself a rage-induced aneurism

Nobody cares.

>I only say this because I've been sitting here for a decade and all I have to show for it is deeply ingrained self-loathing.

Boohoo?

now you're just samefagging. Your mom is going to be pissed you spent all day on the internet instead of folding her panties like she asked you to

Why don't you kill yourself and stop being a let down to every one around you? You've already admitted to being a fuck up for a decade with a deep ingrained self loathing. You'll be doing the world a favour if you remove yourself from it. Just think, you won't be wasting other peoples oxygen. You'll make a positive impact on carbon emissions.

Or you can just sit and stew in your festering loneliness and make your mom jokes on an anonymous Korean basket weaving forum.

>he doesn't read software mailing lists
They're technical, verbose, full of enthusiastic people collaborating with something to say, and occasionally have high-quality drama like the recent glibc "abortion joke" fiasco and Stallman's response.

I said I've been on Jow Forums for a long time rofl. Your reading comprehension is in the trash. I've got a great job, 100% remote, and I can afford all my hobbies and lifestyle choices. Fly into baby-rage all you want I'm feeling great.

I'll say it again man you really need to calm down, it comes across like you're 14 or something, and you need to be 18+ to post here

>I've got a great job, 100% remote, and I can afford all my hobbies and lifestyle choices.

No you don't.

You think someone would do that?

Attached: liesontheinternet.jpg (480x360, 22K)

just because you live in a studio apartment with your parents selling plasma to get by doesn't mean other people aren't doing well for themselves

People who're doing well for themselves aren't posting on Jow Forums.

I mean clearly you're having some sort of issue, just not sure what it is. My guess is you're trying to reconcile your Dad kissing you, and then you being confused about liking it.

Lad, only one of those is me you're quoting. But the other guy was right about your insults. Your mom insults and now your dad insults. Your attempts at being insulting are pretty shit. He was a lot meaner. And a lot funnier.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-21 00-26-18.png (1109x158, 16K)

>My guess is you're trying to reconcile your Dad kissing you, and then you being confused about liking it.

rolleyes.gif

Wanna tell me about how fat my mamma is? That'll really show me.

i miss /prog/

Attached: sleepsort.png (856x598, 28K)

there's still programming textboards around but they're super slow

>Reddit isn't that bad as long as you unsub from all the shit default subreddits

This is a total lie , you still deal with terrible mods and voting , and "reddiquette" , it's still awful no matter how small the sub.

I miss Usenet or Newsgroups however you want to say it. I've tried to get people to go back but they won't. Google was it's last chance to be mainstream and they stopped promoting it a long time ago.

Google had no intention of promoting it because they would rather promote google+. It was simply on of those google hobby projects a few inside the machine have and then abandon.

Not an issue with tapatalk

I really miss forums. Not only for the potential of high quality discussion, but also because it was more social. You had people you got to know, you could talk about anything. And forums were more local, today you communicate mostly with Americans, you used to be able to find really fast and active forums in your local language, that doesn't really exist anymore.
Internet in general was much better in the 2000s. Webdesign is also way worse than it used to be. And the culture was one of creation, everyone wanted to contribute something to the internet.

I had a Google around and the earliest posts I can find of mine on forums are from back in 2000 for a computer game I was playing when I was 15/16. Thank fuck there's nothing linking me to real life.

/dpt/ and Jow Forums are an insult to how great /prog/ was.

did radium finish the new version yet?

>IRC
60 years old boomers roleplaying as tech support and edgy h4ck3r kids doxxing people

You got xenforo. Extremely fast of phone, bunch of user friendly stuff.
Too bad it ain't for free.

I frequent multiple active forums and IRC channels. They are far from dead but there are most just the old users there.