Is professional video editing possible on Linux? It seems to be the only weakness of Linux I see. Pic unrelated

Is professional video editing possible on Linux? It seems to be the only weakness of Linux I see. Pic unrelated.

Attached: 1526830445612.jpg (500x400, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UEIkIrYQYYY
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications
youtube.com/watch?v=0vumR5Hcz7s
forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85588&highlight=linux&page=8
landoleet.org/dev/
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Category/Video/manipulation
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Try Lightworks

I guess. There aren't any FOSS programs that rival Vegas/Premiere if that's what you mean; tons of basic editors, enough to get the job done though. Music production is the same, nothing that can match shit like FL Studio. At least Vegas and FL run fine in Wine.

Photo editing, 3D/CAD, programming, office duties, browsing, basic shit, it's all perfect for though.

Who fucking cares
Are you a professional video editor? If so, why are you debating about your operating system on Jow Forums? It's not like you have made some complex decision you can never come back from by installing an operating system. Just install a different one if it doesn't work out.
Why does this autistic check in the box matter at all
Why does this autistic thread get made every day
Linux is unusable as a desktop by anyone but stupid neets for dozens of more important reasons

Go fuck yourself
Go fuck yourself
Go fuck yourself

>FL Studio

Attached: 1521905364515.jpg (1280x800, 190K)

Davinci Resolve might be what you're looking for.

>autistic whining about autism
You're in the wrong place, buddy.
Best DAW. Live runs fine too, if you're a snob.

Yes. Just use wine or a VM.

Attached: tayla_by_idleye-dcatmhv.jpg (183x274, 4K)

I made a stupid video on Linux once, can't remember the software I used but I think it was called kdenlive or some shit. It was a really bad video and I had no idea what I was doing (first attempt at making a video) and I never tried again, but having said that, I made a video as a beginner. Give it a try and see if you like it

Lmao this, friend of mine does professional color grading and editing for foxtel Australia using davinci resolved on Linux. Go eat a bag of dicks OP

kdenlive is my shit, it's really good for that really quick and simple edit.

You tell me.

Attached: davinci_resolve_linux.jpg.optimal.jpg (926x521, 69K)

blender
youtu.be/UEIkIrYQYYY
shotcut
kdenlive
lwks
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications

>Professional.
>Linux.
top kek

if you can't edit a feature length film using just ffmpeg on the command line you need to leave

Woah there guys, look here, we have a profeshunal content maker here, those minecraft youtube videos you make sure are a work of art, right OP?

Attached: 1519308815507.jpg (192x171, 15K)

professional audio/music is the worst on linux
it finally got bitwig and a few important vsts but it's not as easily plug and play (drivers and etc) like win/linux, there's still a lot lacking, and there's no proper support

The weakness in linux is graphic design.

>At least Vegas and FL run fine in Wine.
>Vegas
I-It does? Holy fuck, the opinions on winehq were so shitty I didn't even try it

Each day the linux receives more support and becomes a viable alternative for more and more use cases, please explain in what way that can be something bad and why you need to berate linux?

Attached: 1521681656569.gif (645x773, 9K)

YMMV but Vegas 13 works fine for me on Xubuntu. The installer was kind of glitchy (visuals) but it installed without issue and runs fine.

> FL studio
Holy shit you know nothing. Reason and logic both of which you lack, ableton, fuck even garage band is better. No serious musician uses fruity loops

It's not a daw if you can't record audio with it

The Flashbulb uses FL Studio.

Also, let's be honest, they don't have any features the others don't have that would make creating some type of music impossible. A good musician can make good music in anything.

> digital audio workstation
> can't edit audio
> can't signal process or bus effects
> can't mix
> can't master
Not sure how that is considered a workstation

Samefag harder. FL's a great DAW, you can do everything you listed with it and huge musicians like the late Avicii, deadmau5, Madeon, Porter, Post Malone, Childish Gambino, all use it. It's not 1998 any more.

Besides that's just one DAW that works in Wine, you can run Reason and Live just fine too. Who the fuck uses Logic? Seriously? Can't even drag and drop a simple drum sample and sequence it. Trash.

i tried ubuntu studio, literally a meme distro.

best editors are still on proprietary OS, so i recomend using vmware and good ol' piracy.

Will compatibility software like Wine ever be able to port everything easily? So many people will move over to Linux

the only foss editor that barely works is kdenlive. all other ones either have 0 features or are slow as fuck (looking at you, openshot).

that being said, and as other people mentioned, lightworks and davinci resolve are good proprietary options.

Attached: 1454140123431.jpg (853x480, 190K)

SERIOUS musician

I can make music with ardour just fine, dosnt mean its better than PT or Live

Linux is a kernel. You don't edit videos at kernel level.

^^^^^ PALINDROME!!!^^^^^

You want to edit video? Trust me, from a faster Win10 box/Adobe CC Pr+Ae user
>>> Get a MacBook. Yup, spend the money and either run Pr+Ae on it, or Final Cut Pro,
you won't grow old waiting, and waiting, and waiting for renders. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

If you don't mind waiting, use Pr Elements, Magix, or Corel, can get close to "pro" with a lot less spent.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I just have to spout this out thinking about how Windows takes so long to render compared to Mac

Best DAW?
Ableton
I run it

Not with that attitude, you don't.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518237788217.jpg (4000x3000, 1.97M)

>deadmau5
Uses Ableton
Most pros use Ableton, Reason, Propeller, ProTools

But the editing software calls functions provided by the kernel

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

And the libs.

>Who fucking cares
You do.

Attached: pepe_blink_by_fazboggle-d97slqh.gif (499x499, 45K)

Bad post.

One word: REAPER

I use emacs
youtube.com/watch?v=0vumR5Hcz7s

>blender
/Thread

good bait

Now sure, but his best work (RAT and FLOABN) was FL. Have you been living under a rock? Most pros use either FL or Ableton and it's split down the middle, I have no idea who you've been listening to but nobody uses Reason or Logic anymore. Some bigger artists use Cubase/Nuendo but they're few. Old dudes still use Pro Tools for recording, sure, but good luck producing a track in that.
I mean you seem to think FL can't mix/master a track and can't record audio so it's obvious you've been out of the game for a long time, if you were ever producing.
Reaper's pretty good, yeah. I also like Renoise for that old school tracker vibe: also runs on Linux natively.

He can't play fortnite on linux.

Ableton's pretty good, I have nothing against it. Different strokes for different folks.

I had no fucking idea Reaper ran natively, this is very interesting news. I haven't been required to edit audio in a long time but it's great knowing the program I loved using to do it is available without WINE.

>bait
why

Attached: kaguya_NEET.png (620x640, 234K)

Technically it does, but it's still beta (forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85588&highlight=linux&page=8 and landoleet.org/dev/ has the builds, also some Raspi builds too which is exciting). Renoise runs natively though, is what I meant.

I understand. Regardless, thanks for the info.

Yeah, this is as close as you will get, OP.

Kdenlive is pretty good. daVinci Resolve is available on Linux. So yes, you can video edit professionally on Linux.

Out-of-topic, but pic related is what Jon Hopkins uses to do music so I guess FL compatibility doesn't matter.

Basically, you can try Kdenlive or Blender but what do you call "professional video editing"? Are there any professional video editors ITT anyway?

Attached: 1524979490442.jpg (1920x1080, 174K)

underrated

>It seems to be the only weakness of Linux I see.

Attached: 1520624444629.png (617x637, 16K)

directory.fsf.org/wiki/Category/Video/manipulation

Yeah Blender.
There is a learning curve if you are new to the software.