/ag/ & /am/: audio general & audiophool memes

Almost June Edition:

For equipment recommendations, post your budget, listening preference (near/far), room size, music tastes, and state (if in the US), or your online vendor of choice.

When making outlandish claims like "all amplifiers are the same", please post pic of your gear first.

Attached: le audio generale.jpg (918x736, 191K)

Other urls found in this thread:

uturnaudio.com/pages/turntables
danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/bc-horns/bc218/
danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/specialty-subs/dts10/
teufel.de/bluetooth/rockster-air-p16561.html)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

firsties

Attached: soundmachineturntable-4.jpg (640x480, 260K)

Attached: 031217-Mikey-600.jpg (600x425, 96K)

I'm not a huge fan of Klipsch but I love this setup. I want to have an AT screen someday. :o/

Attached: Michael-Stevens-La-Scala-Home-Theater-Build-2.jpg (1500x1000, 1.03M)

Anyone heard of UTurn audio? Their turn tables are cheap, but are they hidden gems?
uturnaudio.com/pages/turntables

Fremer is such a lucky bastard

Thinking of building a wooden sunken table for my turntables and mixer

Did anyone check out the Klipsch pilgrimage event this last weekend? They had their entire Heritage lineup available (Heresy, Forte iii, Cornwall iii, La Scala, Klipschorn (future AK6 model not in production)), RF7 iii, headphones, wireless selection of The One, The Three, and The Sixes, and even the soundbar they aren't selling quite yet. But these Jubilee's were god damn amazing

Attached: 20180518_124734_HDR.jpg (1425x802, 189K)

That was in NYC right?

Hope, Arkansas at the warehouse. Pic related is their 1802 subwoofer. I couldn't imagine what this would sound like inside. You could peel paint off the wall

Attached: 20180518_101230_HDR.jpg (2397x1500, 1.83M)

Attached: 20180518_083711_HDR.jpg (2667x1500, 1.15M)

Attached: 20180518_084130.jpg (2667x1500, 611K)

Klipschorn in the process of being built

Attached: 20180518_091345.jpg (2667x1500, 817K)

Cornwall's waiting for drivers

Attached: 20180518_094203_HDR.jpg (2667x1500, 1.22M)

RC-64 iii drivers being put in and sent down the line to the testing room before boxing

Attached: 20180518_094354_HDR.jpg (1500x2667, 1.07M)

Moar horns

Attached: 20180518_095402_HDR.jpg (2667x1500, 1.65M)

Anechoic room

Attached: 20180518_123354_HDR.jpg (2667x1500, 1.65M)

stop eating so much dude, jesus christ

I'm not much of a Klipsch fan, but these look nice.
Really, it looks like a fun event and more than just audio.

That guy should try lifting those subs around.

Neat. I toured JL Audio once which was pretty fun. I've also been to Meridian in England.

Do you hang on Klipsch forums or something? How did you end up here?

Friday was the warehouse tour morning to afternoon. Everyone was fed ribs and pulled pork for lunch. Afterwards most everyone meets up at this other guys place about 30 minutes away who has 600 acres of land. Giant pole barn, private lakes, basically a party place until Saturday night. Fishing tournament on Saturday morning also. I didn't take any pictures of the setup at the pole barn but there was 4 stacks of these setup

Klipsch forums and a few FB groups

Attached: post-9700-0-86100000-1395765106.jpg (1200x804, 83K)

Oh so Klipsch let you forum mouth breathers in and then there was an unsanctioned event put together by the hobbyists on some rednecks land? Sounds like fun. Do you live locally? Where did you stay?

You ever been to nightclubs with Funktion One's? You'd probably like that, they are like Klipsch in that they are horns only they sound good. R1s actually don't use compression drivers and really sound nice. Of course it is setup dependent, but the great nightclubs sounds fantastic with those systems.

looks like such fun thanks for sharing. i wish there was stuff like that near me.

Attached: 1422706966012.png (900x599, 288K)

>unsanctioned event put together by the hobbyists on some rednecks land?
It's part of the weekend event and even the Klipsch employees go there. They hired a band to play on Saturday too. Lunch and dinner served both days and the entry fee was only $60 for all of it

>Do you live locally? Where did you stay?
Drove ~950 miles and stayed at a hotel between both locations

I don't do the club thing

I've had this urge to build a 3-way full-range compression system, even though I have absolutely no use for a solo speaker that can put out 130+ dB peaks at 1 meter.
For those of you who bought into compression horns, what drew you to them?

Higher efficiency = less distortion of all types. For me it was the clarity they offer vs "normal" speakers and the benefit of being able to use a 1-10 watt tube amp and still make some thump if you desire. They can be much more picky to be setup well, but when you play around and figure it out I feel it to be a better experience overall. But if your room is hardwood or tile floor with bare walls it will be fatiguing and harsh as hell for sure. Not for everyone.

What would be your plan for the bass bin?

>plans
I'd like to repeat that I am not going to build this thing. Way too big, and frankly, too expensive. I found a nice driver, and the fun of planning kicks in.

Low end driver would be the BMS 18N862. 200 liter range, port tuned to 22 Hz or so.
Parameters are in between the stiff pro woofers and heavier home audio subs. Very low distortion, high excursion, clean into the low midrange.

>uturnaudio.com/pages/turntables
good reviews overall
not too expensive
nice webms on website
but vinyl has serious drawbacks

Attached: turntables_cartridge_video.webm (1920x1080, 314K)

>has serious drawbacks
One of those drawbacks being that you need rather expensive turntables otherwise you'll get complete shit.

IN THE HALLS OF THE MOUNTAIN KING

Attached: kessler1a.jpg (550x360, 54K)

no matter the turntable, there will still be pops, cracks and warp

>That guy should try lifting those subs around.

>330 pounds (150 kg)

Attached: Untitled.png (897x1020, 332K)

I want to use minidisc again

What advice can you offer an obvious idiot?

they're unecessarily awkward to use at this point

comfy room but looks like it needs some dusting

>recommend for cinema
>only goes down to 26Hz -3dB
>industries only fully horn loaded 18
danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/bc-horns/bc218/

and here is something that goes to 10Hz with only a 12"
danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/specialty-subs/dts10/

>but vinyl has serious drawbacks
interestingly even with all drawbacks it sound better than digital

Holy fuck couldn't they at least get a decent piece of wood?

>New subwoofer just sits in the box because you can't carry it on your own
RIP.

blanks are becoming somewhat expensive
other than that, get a nice model not some cheap ass entry model

I don't think vinyl sounds good at all

I have some vinyls that sound better than their CD counterparts, mostly rock and synthy stuff. Vinyl is mastered differently than CDs, you can't mash the compression as hard so it forces some more dynamic range. I have some old King Tubby and other reggae albums that really had a lot of care put into their mastering also and when they did the CD release it was bought out by the brits and they didn't give a fuck so they just kinda slopped a CD together. In my experiences, that's where vinyls can sound better. If care is taken when mastering both a CD and a vinyl, I'd prefer the CD. Or, in modern day, just a digital copy. People can jerk off all they want over their record collections but if recording a modern record, I'd prefer to get the high res digital copy.

that's because you never heard how vinyl really sound

but the dynamic range is half drowned in noise anyway, just try to listen to some classical on vinyl, it's pretty sad
I do, though

What record player are you using? It's true the noise floor is higher, but, it shouldn't be drowning anything out. That said a lot of classical is well mastered to CD and I don't have any examples that are off the top of my head where I would pick the vinyl counterpart over the CD in my collection. Not saying there aren't exceptions to that.

>drowned in noise anyway
That's why you need to spend an outrageous amount of money on a good turntable. Has to have a good needle, good arm, good chassis, you name it.

This man speaks the truth

owo what's in the boxes

Attached: 20180522_165131.jpg (1836x2596, 2.61M)

Attached: 20180522_172647.jpg (2660x2380, 3.05M)

>operating frequency range 26Hz-150Hz -3dB
Literally the same

R u retarded?
-12 Hz -10dB

A pair of alpha 50!

Attached: 20180522_182048.jpg (1956x2966, 2.69M)

The point was that isn't the industries only horn loaded 18" driver.

The second gripe is less valid and more shittalky, but it is that the subwoofer is being marketed for cinema and for cinema you want extension below 20Hz. Granted most liemaxes don't. This is a half space measurement, still probably in room you get reasonable output below 20Hz if used in multiples but for flat response you'd be wasting a lot of the bandwidth where this sub is more efficient to get that bottom octave. So the next question becomes why not tune it for lower peak output but more extension. -10dB at 21Hz is a pretty steep drop.

You look at that Danley that goes to 10Hz and the peak output is less but the ultra low frequency is much more within the bandwidth of cinema.

keep going!

Let us know how they are, I'm considering the alpha 65s for my desk

Bump.

gross

What's wrong with them?

ugly proportions

Attached: RESPONSE_1SC.jpg (1000x447, 100K)

cute!

top rated; no excuses

Where do you guys get your speaker wire? I was just checkin ebay and found some cheapo wire 50' 16awg for $6. Thinking of buying some.

usually amazon about 23$-28$ for 100ft of 14awg ofc

I just get the cheapest 4 conductor 14 AWG. Think I payed like $25-$30 for a 250' roll off of amazon. You don't really need 4 conductor, but I just like making nice looking wires.

Newest acquisition, sounds pretty nice. Pretty overkill for rears, I guess.

Attached: IMG_20180522_142018918_BURST006.jpg (4160x3120, 2.16M)

Worked out of the dumpster with Hifi System 20 speakers and a Rega RP1 turntable

Forgot pic lmao

Attached: huldra10.jpg (1408x502, 168K)

Do you guys think surround sound is ever coming back to regular music and not just vidya and movies?

no

>Rega RP1 turntable
>in the garbage

the fuck m8

There is bluray concert disks you can get. That's about it now

>Moom don't touch my records!

>Anyone heard of UTurn audio? Their turn tables are cheap, but are they hidden gems?

If you like built-in pre-amps, noisey motors and Chink engineering. Buy a VPI and stop being poorfags.

Can someone explain why people are so nostalgic about minidiscs? They're literally just mini CD-RE's.

>Made in US
>Made in my state
I think I'll take that chink's advice and try to find a used one.

The only thing here that's worth a shit.

Most people have never heard a clean LP on a good table. I've got a Clearaudio cartridge that sounds identical to FLAC if the record's clean. Don't get me wrong though, vinyl is still inferior. I just have a lot cause imma oldfag.

Idk man probably a bad breakup lmao
The amp/radio is great though, 1974 top of the line model from Norway

Why do most subwoofers seem to have two RCA jacks or 4 speaker wire connections? Shouldn't they only need one channel? After all every PC just has one 3.5mm jack for center and sub combined.

They are typically summed to mono, so you can use either one, but consult your manual. There are a few reasons though:
a) Sometimes if the output voltage is very low out of the amp it is useful to use the L&R
b) if there is no subwoofer output on the pre-processor and you want to use a subwoofer this gives you the ability to use the subwoofer as a crossover, with the left and right channels bass handled by the sub and then from the outputs the bass is high passed so you can send the rest to an amp and then your mains / or powered mains.

9/10 you just plug a single RCA into the right input and call it a day. If your receiver is handling the bass management then make sure to turn the crossover on the sub all the way up or select bypass if that is available. You don't want to overlap slopes.

>And call it a day
Using both helps with the sound quality. I would recommend that over going mono on the right input. Made a significant difference on mine at least.

What speakers should I get?

Focus are next level
Monitor Audio Silver 300

i personally can't listen to vinyl because snap crackle pop

>you can't mash the compression as hard so it forces some more dynamic range
i thought vinyl had more limitations to dynamic range

Attached: ddbe17f048c6fd9830e4d645ad5d71c0.jpg (2816x2112, 133K)

Attached: i must compliment you on your fine taste.jpg (306x396, 28K)

a friendly reminder that 24-bit/192kHz audio is snake oil unless you're a recording/mixing/mastering engineer

16-bit/44.1kHz is literally all you need

I'm gettin married in late August and am thinking about buying two Teufel Rockster Air (teufel.de/bluetooth/rockster-air-p16561.html) for the occasion. Reason being, that I would love to have one of those and could resell the other one with minimal losses. Combining that with the fact that I could save the money for renting a PA for the wedding makes for a promising deal, I think. There will be around 80 people there and we have a room with high ceilings about 10x30m big. I will buy one of them outright and finance the second one. Am I stupid for attempting this or is it a good idea?

Attached: Air.jpg (1300x1300, 247K)

How are the jbl lsr305? I need some studio monitors and they seems the best option price/quality wise. Also, what cables should I use to connect them to my pc?

MA Bronze 2 vs Diamond 220 vs Zensor 1? I just want good imaging.

>a friendly reminder that 3840x2160/HDR video is snake oil unless you're a video editor

1366x768 is literally all you need

Wrong, you don't need any more than 640x480.

Not that user but that comparison isn't equivalent.

192kHz digital music files offer no benefits. They're not quite neutral either; practical fidelity is slightly worse. The ultrasonics are a liability during playback.Neither audio transducers nor power amplifiers are free of distortion, and distortion tends to increase rapidly at the lowest and highest frequencies. If the same transducer reproduces ultrasonics along with audible content, any nonlinearity will shift some of the ultrasonic content down into the audible range as an uncontrolled spray of intermodulation distortion products covering the entire audible spectrum. Nonlinearity in a power amplifier will produce the same effect.

24 bit depth doesn't harm fidelity, thankfully. It just doesn't help, and also wastes space. Professionals use 24 bit samples in recording and production for headroom, noise floor, and convenience reasons. 16 bits is enough to span the real hearing range with room to spare. It does not span the entire possible signal range of audio equipment. The primary reason to use 24 bits when recording is to prevent mistakes; rather than being careful to center 16 bit recording-- risking clipping if you guess too high and adding noise if you guess too low-- 24 bits allows an operator to set an approximate level and not worry too much about it. Missing the optimal gain setting by a few bits has no consequences, and effects that dynamically compress the recorded range have a deep floor to work with. An engineer also requires more than 16 bits during mixing and mastering. Modern work flows may involve literally thousands of effects and operations. The quantization noise and noise floor of a 16 bit sample may be undetectable during playback, but multiplying that noise by a few thousand times eventually becomes noticeable. 24 bits keeps the accumulated noise at a very low level. Once the music is ready to distribute, there's no reason to keep more than 16 bits.

(Cont'd)

you're late. People moved on from vinyl a long time ago

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-23 05-08-30.png (774x154, 18K)

You forgot a discord, shitty pastebin and some random FAQ.

High resolution video DOES matter, but only when you are sitting close to a large screen, so a projector or maybe computer monitor. From about five feet away, you'd need an ~84-inch TV to see the benefit. With a more common 42- or 50-inch TV, you'd have to sit about two to three feet away.

So for most, 4k doesn't matter. But HDR does. HDR boosts a display's contrast ratio, which is the difference between the brightest and darkest colors your TV can show. It allows for much finer detail in the shades in between those light and dark colors. HDR also usually comes with another feature, called wide-color gamut (WCG), which lets a TV produce more colors than most displays are capable of.

That said, an issue a lot of people have with HDR is brightness because they are used to SDR, which has relative brightness, versus HDR which has an absolute brightness standard. That means you cannot change the apparent image brightness, specifically for different viewing environments. The PQ based HDR specification defines reference white (normal diffuse white) as being 100 nits. Versus SDR most people crank their brightness up, since it is relative. With HDR, above 100 nits is for spectral highlight detail only. Regardless of the maximum peak brightness the display can generate, diffuse white will always be around 100 nits. So a lot of people go "oh shit my HDR looks so dim!" and want to try to crank it up like they did their SDR, but they can't.

Attached: 4k.png (800x546, 196K)

>Some idiot blogger trying to push their shit
Nah, nobody has moved away from vinyl. See: record stores and their massive collections of vinyl.

why would the verge lie?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-23 05-44-36.png (428x149, 13K)

Why argue about which format is best when it's clearly known that 24/96 flac is the highest quality format available?

Vinyl sounds like shit so I can believe that, but I doubt it sounds any better than SACD/DVD.