Are there more people like me on Jow Forums?

Are there more people like me on Jow Forums?
I'm working in helpdesk/support since 5 years making more money than I'm able to spend and I give absolutely no fucks about getting a degree or a better paid job that requires me to program shit or something.
So, how old are you user and how do you see your future?

Attached: ne.jpg (400x498, 37K)

Sounds comfy. Make sure to plan for retirement.

there's lots of higher positions that don't require you to program though, you should be seeing plenty of them

I work as a chemist for an environmental lab, I make enough to live decently. Its been about 5 years since I got my degree and I'm seeing college buddies getting their MD's and pharmacy degrees and honestly, I'm glad I started working right away, I got more freedom to pursue many hobbies. Programming being one of them.

Been working for almost 5 years now, started out as a support engineer making 1900 EUR net with no other extras. After 2 years became Android tech lead and had 2200 and a company car.

2 years ago I started as a consultant and made 2800 a month with a company car, and now recently went freelance making 12K every month.

Shit is pretty cash. Next goal is either expanding my venture into an agency or becoming an architect at my current client.

I also don't want to be a mindless corporat nobody likes.

i enjoy that picture

How old are you?

Attached: 1526247019788.jpg (377x351, 24K)

>So, how old are you user and how do you see your future?

I don't know anymore. Age 30

Started IT at 26
Was always working shitty contract jobs and barely any helpdesk experience
Have worked 2 one month help desk contracts and they let us go...

Basically age 27, get a call for a SOC position
Not sure whats the big deal, its just configuring stuff right guys?

Get in, first 3 weeks, boss looking at me and just smiling.. Doesn't tell me anything, but he was smiling because he was getting promoted and I was "going" after his job within my first month of being there

Month 1-3 I begin training other depts as we are staffing up

They wanted me to train people and not people who have worked there for months longer than I have. Start getting hate from other coworkers, they've been there longer than I have but they don't get special treatment

I never sucked up to anyone, but i just did my job. Month 3-6, I get bored because I developed a large amount of skill working on everything I could find. Start getting bored basically and not following protocol anymore, I'm too good and the metrics prove it

Get promoted even though I wasn't following protocol and doing what I knew was right but not what the company liked. Promoted again...

Got bored, left that company for a design position and now coming up on 1.5 years here, thinking about getting that final 115-130k salary without counting the bonuses....

Not sure, anymore what i want to do. I have also discovered I'm usually the best among other people i meet in the office..

I'm actually under motivated these days. I want to leave badly and I'm always fucking bored at this job

Have thought about studying for certs again and gaining more knowledge, but I'm lazy now..

28, turning 29 in a few months. I failed a year in high school and another one in college because I'm a lazy cunt.

But once I realised that if I don't get my shit together, I could be stuck offering support to retards for the rest of my career, I started making huge leaps.

I wish a girl would sit on my buttplug

>freelance
Any advice for a robot wiz kid?

Is it possible to do freelancing right after getting my degree ?

What did you get a degree in? I'm 22 working 40 a week making $2k a month out a wearhouse.

I stopped paying for school because I ran out of money, is suicide the only option at this point?

God I wish that was me

Yes, first test your capabilities against your peers. Despite whatever people around you may say, freelancing & consultancy in tech is based on (perceived) merit. If people think you're worth a lot, they will also pay good money to employ you.

Make sure you have some repo's that give an idea of your work, write some articles (f.e. on Medium) about issues you resolved (proves problem-solving capabilities) and get a good idea of what other programming areas are about as well. Having an understanding of how all kinds of fields connect will make learning new things easier.

It's possible but not recommended. As mentioned above, tech is based on merit and the perception thereof. If you damage your 'brand' as a developer early on because you're an amateur, it might take time before you restore it again considering worth of mouth travels fast and noone wants to hire an expensive consultant which needs to be trained on the job first. They expect you to bridge their knowledge gap and not the other way around.

you mean being me or being the woman sitting on a public buttplug?

I got a bachelor's degree in embedded electronics so I pretty much had to teach myself programming from scratch. I did see some basic C in school but I was so shit at it that I don't even want to take it into account. Companies are desperate for good engineers and many tech leads and CTO's (also guys from the States that I'm in touch with) really stopped caring about degrees and just look for good devs now. Someone with a good Github profile is worth a lot more than someone with a good degree considering the prior either doesn't need to be trained on the job or has already proven to have the right mentality to learn new things.

Don't give up warehouse-bro, you are young and at the peak of your learning potential. The only thing you need now is discipline, and you can't blame anyone else for that but you. Get some cheap/free courses on Udemy in your field of interest and start learning. Don't skip the excercises and don't try to go faster than the course. Take the knowledge in slowly and appreciate your growth. Afterward start expanding on your knowledge and make some repositories on Github to play around in code.

Also don't push yourself too hard. Despite whatever Google niggers might tell you, writing good software is NOT easy and takes time, discipline and practice to do it right. You might be able to learn 6 hours per night at first, but it will drain you and you will quit. Just pick some days to dedicate yourself to it, work for a few hours and afterward do something relaxing/rewarding.

You can do it faggot, don't disappoint me.

>Helpdesk
>More money than I can spend

I smell bullshit, or you can live comfy off of $18/hr bc you live at your mom's.

No, I just live and work in eastern europe.
And yes, I did live with my mom most of the time. This allowed me to save enough money to buy my very own flat without renting it like a subhuman trash.

Oh cool, I highly suggest you shun programming then.

2 years ago I was a NEET. Now I'm living a modest but comfy life with savings in the bank. Being able to afford things is nice. Being able to socialize is the best.

>be me
>work at a decent company
>learn c++ because that's what the product is written in
>fuckton of legacy code, 20+ years of developement
>be happy for 2 years
>product management comes in
>"yeah, so our product is not suited for our customers needs"
>"we discussed this and came to the conclusion that we want you guys to rewrite the thing in javascript with a client-server model"
>mfw they want to use javascript for cpu heavy cad calculations
>mfw everybody worked with c++ only for the last 20 years
>mfw my comfy job will be gone
What do, Jow Forums?

Attached: Amerisad.jpg (675x500, 215K)

Learn javascript/ES6/TypeScript, it's honestly not as bad as people make it out to be and considering you're familiar with a strongly typed language, this should be a walk in the park.

>work at a decent company
>"we discussed this and came to the conclusion that we want you guys to rewrite the thing in javascript with a client-server model"
>mfw they want to use javascript for cpu heavy cad calculations

>decent company

Attached: jjj.gif (300x300, 3.6M)

>work for large manufacturing company that gives absolutely no shits whatsoever about technology
>some free software access but bosses view any work time spent on it as wasted
>watch as tech goes obsolete, incompatible hardware is introduced, nothing is maintained, and cheap components are daisy-chained together in horrible ways
I’m mostly a mostly computer-illiterate production engineer, but even I can’t believe how technophobic all my management is. And at the corporate level they want all support to be at the divisionial tier, so there is no one local to troubleshoot or maintain anything. There’s no local admin at the plant, the machinery is all run by individual single-loop controllers, and when anything goes wrong with the infrastructure it’s a several hour phone call with Jacek in Poland.

Ugh. Well, there's always the gpu.js or turbo.js libraries for GPU accelerated maths functions if that's an option.

all technology is hermafrodid and transgender
sorry heteros