/ceg/ - Computer Engineering General

What’s it like at your CE job? What languages do you use most often? What projects are you currently working in?

Attached: 79FD4DD2-F9AE-4A5F-8089-6EFCF041BB68.jpg (438x327, 134K)

I design embedded systems for appliances. It's easy work and not really boring or fascinating. Kinda feel indifferent about the job. I don't do home projects anymore. I'm phobic of using smart devices after seeing what they are capable of.

working on*

Don’t be scared. Get in on it now so you’ll be the one listening to me shit instead of someone else listening to you

/ceg/?
I like that.

Thanks. I barely see any threads about CE on here so I decided to make one.

Do you use C or C++ mostly for embedded systems? I’m going to get into CE and I’m confused on which one I should “master”

I’m doing Computer Engineering in college right now. What’s the difference between CE and CS in the real world?

From what I understand they’re pretty much the same. Only difference is you don’t work with actual hardware like EE and CE if you go into CS. A CE can do a CS’s job but a CS won’t be able to do a CE’s job as effectively

I'm working on WIFI controlled lightbulbs that also sense motion, sound, and daylight. They can be setup to do things like dim down automatically when the room is empty or there's light coming from windows.

I've been at this job for two years now and it's getting boring. I'm not learning new things or being challenged anymore. I'd quit and get a new one but I've done that so many times before that employers are seeing the pattern and getting scared to hire me.

Both , we use C for maintain old embedded systems running freeRTOS or ucLinux but these days embedded its moving to C++ the code its easier to maintain.

>Hackable lightbulbs

Why don't you do any at home projects?

A CS student who did some robotics project will be able to. Electronics (at least digital electronics) is a lot like OOP except instead of stacking pointless design patterns according to the javadoc you spaghetti your wires according to the data sheet.

My company primarily uses Cpp now, but my particular dept. still uses a lot of various assembly. I'd say you don't really have anything to 'master' in this field when it comes to languages, syntax, or programming in general. You do need a very deep knowledge of electronic fundamentals and computer architecture. If you're doing really nth degree stuff for the DoD maybe you'll also need a higher understanding of the underlying mathematics and computational theory, but that is a small fraction of what we do and tbqh its what every student tries to do so the market is saturated. Pay used to be nuts at the contractors but my current job is about twice as lucrative as the average DoD career at the same level. We've got a bit less job security but I haven't seen layoffs in the embedded world in a while.

I spend a huge amount of time doing personal projects outside of work. That's one of the reasons I was hired for my present job. Having my own projects on the side doesn't make spending eight hours a day being bored any better though.

Attached: DSCN6314.jpg (2272x1704, 1.01M)

Sorry to hear that user. You should get a hobby that has nothing to do with CE then. It may give you something to look forward too when you get home.

I was fortunate enough to work in two companies were I could move laterally into new roles. I think embedded in general lacks depth though. There isn't a whole lot of innovation happening here in the US on that front unless you work in a strictly research capacity for one of a few companies or universities (and good luck getting those jobs since the people doing them tend to live into the late 80s and never retire).

I made a hobby of doing totally low tech things. I've got into carpentry, masonry, lots of homesteading things. My wife is still against it, but I will probably build our retirement house outside the city in a few years. The good thing about being a CE is being well paid so I can realistically go into semi-retirement and consult before i'm 55 and do full retirement at 65.

Hey, just graduated (sorta) with a B.S. CpE this last Saturday. I have to go back to my university in a week to finish up my final CS electives (Operating Systems, Machine Learning, Computer Vision), then I'm done.

If things go well I should have a job lined up as an embedded sys engineer for a defense contractor. My degree was really rigorous and only 26 of us made it through the program in a school of 40,000 people. Feels good man. Made great friends and I'm twice the programmer that any CS moron can ever dream to be.

Plus I can do cool shit like VLSI and some analog EE stuff if I wanted too.

Oh also, we get to be *real* engineers! Like, real, tangible, degree-holding, able-to-take-the-FE-and-PE engineers, unlike CS.

> What languages do you use most often?
I'm partial to C and asm.

> What projects are you currently working in?
Made an autonomous small scale car last semester, gonna work on it some more and polish it up this summer.

...and then your breakout circuit is busted up, so you take a scope or probe to it and blow the whole system up because you forgot to measure the impedance of your probe point relative to your probe's internal impedance.

Oh wait, CStards don't even know what that is!

kek

Currently working on research for Binarized Neural Networks on FPGAs. I'm doing VHDL design work to out optimize the High Level Synthesis languages that all the research currently use.

Protip: stick to the 5 year masters

work on AWS stuff for a DoD contractor
98k salary
mostly python for stuff like lambda

What security clearance?