Can someone explain to me why it's so important to learn C++ and/or C...

Can someone explain to me why it's so important to learn C++ and/or C? It's always recommended here but almost every job listing I see is in Java and C# plus other languages, so what's the dealieo? Is it just to learn the core principals of OOP, is it to understand low level assembly or are there other less advertisd jobs that are available I'm not seeing?

Attached: 1200px-ISO_C++_Logo.svg.png (1200x1349, 69K)

BTW I'm not complaining, I actually really enjoy learning C++ just wondering

its not but avoid Java at all costs.
employers are morons.

What's wrong with Java

very verbose and old
just gooooogle it

Don't listen to
Java is fun and easy!

do not respond or entire thread will become about how much java sucks

You want a job? Learn Java and C#. You want to get good at programming? Real deal programming with memory management and low-level tools? Learn C and C++, and even some Assembly.

Computer science is still relatively young, and there are only so many tools to work with. C is a very, very versatile and powerful tool. Supremely flexible at the cost of the user needing to be very precise, to levels of tedium. Everyone says to learn C because there's nothing out there quite like C. If you get good at using C, it's like sticking your grubby little hands straight into the hardware to do things, but without the pain of typing out millions of lines of assembly code. And it's the only language that's actually fairly human-friendly that gives you that level of control.

>C is versatile
Yeah, try doing anything OOP, C is totally the swiss army knife of programming languages.

I always hear this argument that C will make you really good, but is this actually true? Seems like every language has it's strengths and weaknesses

>I always hear this argument that C will make you really good, but is this actually true
yes
programming in C will force you to think about things you get to take for granted in other languages
understanding these things (memory management, difference between the stack/heap etc) is very useful when you start using languages that abstract these things away
it takes time but there's a reason unis that actually have good computer science programs will force you to learn/do algorithms in C

That is one of the main differences I've noticed, but mine focuses primarily on C++. It just confuses me why there doesn't seem to be as many opportunities in C and C++ compared to other languages

Bump

See, I don't know about other states in the U.S., but the Univ of California requires you learn C for bedrock fundementals. The Junior Colleges all require C#. So when they make that a job requirement, it does a lot of filtering, plus they know you understand concepts in case they want to take on projects in other C-legacy languages.

People here always say, "Why do you want to learn C or C++?", but it's so I can reinforce my programming skills overall. Yeah, sure, I know some other languages, but it's a good thing if you have the time and resources.

Yeah, Java's easy to get into, just get a good book, don't rely on some YouTube vidya.

development speed, relative safety, the ability to hire comparatively stupider programmers in languages that abstract more stuff away
you'll see C and assembly in embedded systems and C++ in the finance world for the most part
I'm not sure of other places in the business world where the languages are used, but I'm sure they exist. Honestly though, most of the programs written in C/C++ used by enterprises and large businesses are free software.

Do you want to find yourself competing against Rajeesh and Pajeet?

I don't know about C because I don't work with it that much except as hobby but C++ is still widely used. It's about getting shit done with the tools that fits the job, that's what is programming about. Are you working on a game engine? C++ does that job pretty well, I would even say in this area C++ is the golden standard, not just because it gets the job done best (which some of you may argue against) but mostly this area is well documented for C++ (DirectX/Vulkan APIs). Now to other stuff, I hate Java with a passion because I'm not fan of garbage collectors etc. and I really have no idea about Python, but I heard a lot of good about it. I believe C++ is kind of love/hate relationship programming language, to me it's joy to work with it, even though a lot stuff could be done more easily in other languages. Think about what you want to do and choose tool that will help you to accomplish it best.

>C++ in the finance world for the most part
This but it's not always truth. In finance sector, I don't know what is used now, but long years ago it was OpenEdge ABL or even COBOL, but sill there is place for C++ in this sector.

C++? No, I recommend good old x86 assembly

I'd say C++ is about as likely to make you a worse programmer unless you really invest time in it. There are just so many misconceptions about how it actually works I sometimes have to correct people who have supposedly worked with it for 10 years.

But you _should_ definitely learn a few languages. C could give you some insight into how computers actually work. Haskell may teach you some useful thinking patterns. And so on.

I'm sick of useless Java/C# code school grads who get hired as developers and proceed to turn every project they touch into spaghetti because they just don't have the abstract understanding necessary to produce good code on their own.

I learned C# in college with a little C. I tend to agree you can't be totally competent if you haven't been exposed to anything but bog standard OOP. I did a lot of personal projects with C after graduation while on the job and it made me a much better C# dev.

Couldn't tell ya. I taught myself to program with C and never moved on. I've been at it for six years now and probably won't ever get a job. I'm content with working on open source though so whatever.

You also need C++ if you want to get into game development.

That's your excuse for not getting a job?
Classic Jow Forums