Why is Linux font rendering so undeniably superior, Jow Forums? I can't boot back to into Windows anymore

Why is Linux font rendering so undeniably superior, Jow Forums? I can't boot back to into Windows anymore.

Attached: Screen.png (1920x1080, 634K)

oh my fucking god i was looking for the author of that painting but i had no idea what to search for
you're a legend

lol no worries brah!

Works on my machine. (tm)

Attached: 1507088262705.png (1857x1080, 485K)

>sharp aliased corners

pig disgusting

>rounded babby corners

pig disgusting

veblen is a hero of our times

everything in linux looks so abhorrently blurry as fuck
macos is the only one that does it right
but if you can't afford shit, might as well still retain some sharpness and go with windows

the rise of instagram culture seems relevant, yeah. do you think his ideas are outdated, though? sure you can still divide people into strata based on leisure time, but even the poorest laziest fucks I know still spend entire evenings and weekends pursuing nothing in particular. surely leisure time has more to do with having elderly or young family members to take care of (forget about nannies and nurses for a moment)? I mean look at how much time the average joe spends browsing the internet and watching screens.

what is spending time productively, anyway? does veblen outline a theory of time well spent? I haven't read him firsthand.

Attached: Screenshot_20180408_153723.png (527x516, 275K)

That's a good article. Thanks for sharing.

are those default settings? if so, which distro?

wow

Actual superior font rendering.

Attached: macOS.png (2752x1850, 1.33M)

>fagOS

Attached: 1508639107950.png (595x391, 92K)

if you knew anything about type design, you would know that Helvetica is a terrible font choice for body text

>but even the poorest laziest fucks I know still spend entire evenings and weekends pursuing nothing in particular
Sometimes I feel like it can't be helped. I don't know about humans of all time but humans of our time seem to need it. Productivity today seems much more stressful than say, hunting for food every day. Or even in recent time, making metal bowls and shit, trading spices while genocide and shit.
Things were always bad but it seemed passively bad, today, the rate of change of everything seems to be so fast. Today you are hunting animals, the next you're trying to learn how to smelt rock into steel, then drones take your job.Meanwhile, instead of just killing each other, instead we have the worse hell of trying to be a society where we live together despite our differences, which translates into everyone screaming at each other.
Modern society, even in leisure seems like a hell at times. It feels bearable less so than unbearable overall.

>yo come hang out with me in the drug cave, this is how we spend our free time
Then again we do get many treats today that were once seen impossible. Communicate with anyone in the world instantly from home.

Maybe things are balanced and maybe people need to balance productive time with unproductive time.

>what is spending time productively
My own take on it is literal, if you put in time and afterwards produce something that didn't previously exist, it was productive. Be it carving wood into furniture, writing a book, programming a computer, anything that results in something you have produced. Hopefully it has some merit that you yourself appreciate.

Attached: John_Collier_-_Priestess_of_Delphi[1].jpg (345x697, 60K)

but.. my dude thats BLURRY.

yeah. Ubuntu. I use google noto as my preferred font in firefox.

literally ANY method of font rendering looks good at hidpi 2752x1850 you scrub. post a normal resolution so we can actually make useful comparisons.

I used a macbook pro for years, macos font rendering on low res (

Attached: Screenshot_20180403_224216.png (531x464, 290K)

If you knew anything about fonts, you'd know that is not Helvetica.

Is it for low-key/relaxed headlines? A relatively modern light serif font.
This is the impression I get from it.

I feel like the body text in that image is a little thin or light.

i conspicuously vape

Attached: Wsit.png (1047x1000, 794K)

Can you not be trusted around sharp objects? Do your parents still pad the corners of doors and cabinets?

>Clementine
>Noto Sans
>Arc-Dark
Good taste user

>normal resolution

i was thinking more along the lines of his critique of static economic theory

but to answer your question, he does point to Some of the motivations behind consumption in consumer society but more recent social science/psychological theory gives more nuanced/expansive insights, particularly into the relationship of consumption with personal identity

he certainly saw it early tho

Daily reminder that these font rendering comparison threads are completely pointless, unless tested at the same dpi, font size (and even font type).
Here's a quick comparison. If you think OP's text look more readable than yours, just increase your browser's zoom level to 110%. With the side effect of everything taking up unnecessary space, obviously.
All in all, there's a compromise that needs to be done between text size and readability, and font rendering does not have as much role as you might think in making fonts more readable.

Attached: comparison.png (1233x479, 48K)

>looks like shit
This is what you call "works"? lol

true. Jow Forums will NEVER be able to accept reality because they're trying to stick it to the normies, or whatever.

Why is fagOS font rendering so fucking shit?

Attached: 1504723972303.gif (280x296, 1.61M)

Stock Fedora. Please post your blurry macshit, I need a laugh.

Attached: Screenshot from 2017-07-31 15-11-30.png (3200x1800, 1.31M)

how do i get that firefox

You use vertical tabs reloaded reloaded and then search for the user chrome file that makes the bar expand on hover. There's also a GNOME plugin that removes titlebars for maximized windows.

Why is she sitting in a pool of orange urine? Yuck.

thank you brother

VT:R is garbage now and unresponsive crap unless you're running the really old version that's only compatible with FF 56 and below.

Attached: 1513618502351.png (1523x1080, 119K)

Get out of here with logic, this is Jow Forums

Freetype
Full hinting
rgb subpixel
lcd default
96dpi
1366x768

Noto font suite

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-21 Conspicuous leisure - Wikipedia.png (1354x1469, 488K)

What DE is that?

>giving a fuck about type design
I didn't know this level of autism was possible

That's because Windows it's incredibly awful, fortunately for most winfags it can easily become an acquired taste

/thread

Moron.

Different font sizes/dpi/fonts doesn't change the horrible hinting Windows does ootb

Looks fine on my Gentoo - and constantly playing whack-a-mole with Windows' security holes and telemetry shit was just too much work for me, thanks. As for Macs, call me when they don't come with Intel CPUs. Of course, I could buy an old, used IBM-based one, but I don't care enough about Macs to go out of my way like that.

Try to read the text and you'll see how uncomfortable it is. There is a reason different types exist.

>i'm too fucking dumb to untick one checkbox
>but i totally use an os where i have to configure 50 crytpic text files to get basic functionality like file thumbnails in a file picker
Ok kid.

What a nice way to move the goalposts, but acceptable font rendering has been the default on any distro that comes with anything resembling a DE ootb for years now
Also, to change hinting on Windows you can't untick a checkbox (unless you want to don Cleartype altogether) you have to run the Cleartype tuner which it's extremely repetitive and cryptic if all you want to do it's to change a single setting

Your font rendering is shit tho

Attached: post.png (1440x900, 533K)

And which checkbox is that?

Neue Haas Grotesk, whatever, same shit. you know what I'm referring to
it's good for headlines and titles because that is what it was designed for. it scales poorly and is not meant to be used for body text because the character glyphs have self-similarity. it's empirically provable that it reduces reading speed compared to a more apt font designed specifically for electronic screens
you know that typography is a vast field going back centuries right? watch the documentary Helvetica if you don't think it has any importance in marketing and design

See and then kill yourself you freetard loser. Loonix uses the exact same hinting.

It doesn't, even that picture shows how different hinting settings are in OP's install and W10

>different fonts = different hinting
Off yourself brainlet.

Even with different fonts you can see the awful hinting Windows does, perhaps you should get some glasses since it's obvious you're blind and possibly retarded

beautiful

That's a myth.
Compare all three OS'es at the exact same resolution, same font type and size.
The difference will look negligible.

it's different because they aren't the same size you retard that's the whole point of the post

Show me your config niggers

It's still different at the same size/font/dpi, it has always been like that

>rainbow blurring

The difference isn't as much as Jow Forums makes out it to be, both linux and mac os still have color bleed on small fonts

Doesn't macOS has sub-pixel rendering disabled? I'm not quite sure about pre-retina ones but the retina ones only do grayscale

Is your display calibration off by a mile or something?

>zooming into images
l33t l00n1x \/s3r

I like it so it's good, change my mind.

fucking idiot. if you're rendering was actually good it would look BETTER when you zoom in.

So that means that every computer in the world displays a totally different image no matter what, WTF

DPI doesn't matter, only pixels do.

I don't understand what the picture is trying to mean/compare. Can you explain?

I conspicuously masturbate to anime ass

That the op has the font size set to higher than default, thus it can't be used to compare how "good" font rendering is to other OSes.

I know that, but I don't know from where are the bold texts he is comparing metrics with the ones under them.

Attached: btfo.png (1920x1040, 107K)

Looks fine at 1:1
Fonts are vector graphics, so they should be scaled before rasterizing instead of after

Attached: IMG_20180522_101827-01.jpg (1715x1287, 1.51M)

Because they've put all effort into font rendering instead of things that matter. That's why error messages on Linux are so elegant, comfy and common.

>I don't have it so it doesn't matter

>thread full of screenshots of enlarged letters
Summer is coming and that's all that matters apparently.

>Something happened
Something happened

I didn't say other things don't matter
Every OS has its advantages and shortcomings

You gave me (You)
I'll give you (You)
I love you.

I am an Edge user and damn I say that's not nice

MACTODDLERS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Y I K E S

Attached: 1506741731562.gif (390x261, 1.81M)

Attached: Screenshot_20180521_042047.png (1366x768, 254K)

>110% zoom
??

Attached: Untitled.png (2560x1440, 587K)

>mcfaggot
it only looks good because the display is 5K — 5

he obviously meant something in the vicinity of 100PPI

daily reminder that those type of font rendering thread comments are full of shit

don't use noto for sans bruh

those two are mutually exclusive and you're basically wrong

>DPI doesn't matter
>only pixels do.

Attached: Screenshot_20180522_165234.png (575x911, 141K)

winrar

Attached: cl.png (1695x948, 589K)

Linux is a kernel. It does't render fonts.

idk but it was really shitty just few years ago.

Attached: font.png (1357x720, 267K)

All font rendering is complete shit. It doesn't do proper gamma correction.

Uhm no sweetie: