Is the whole $79k a year average for programmers a meme...

Is the whole $79k a year average for programmers a meme? Somehow I have a hard time believing it with how flooded the field is, here and elsewhere.

Attached: 1521275448747.jpg (754x692, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@jtc/fall-2015-intern-new-grad-offers-472952ffb553
lmgtfy.com/?q=cost of rent in sf
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the it market is going to shit,it's time to bail,videogames and other stupid stuff like big bang theory and mr robot etc.., atrracted normies to it.

Attached: fit in a nutshell.png (754x692, 635K)

Wow is it down to $79k already?

>Somehow I have a hard time believing it with how flooded the field is
The problem is that you're conflating "programming" with everything else that involves programming. That could be a lot of things. It could be web development, software development, embedded systems, just to name a few.

web dev is probably a dead end at this point, since everyone with hipster beard can do it

Wait, are you insinuating that 79k/yr is a good thing? And yes, a never ending stream of Pajeets and bad management are combining forces to nuke the field.

That's like, average salary for someone with like two years' experience in fucking St. Louis Missouri.

Attached: 4AFEFBEC66E9491796CEDDB344EC6EAB.png (500x410, 54K)

Wow I didn't realize I was a poorfag

Top tech companies compete fiercely for the best programmers and increase perks and salaries to attract and retain them. This sets the bar higher in terms of compensation for smaller companies too, thus leading to higher salaries all around. 79k might not be that bad for a generic company in a smaller city that's not a major tech hub like Seattle, NY or SF, but I doubt many people find it to be a competitive salary, especially if they don't offer some extra kind of bonus. Most developers would likely find it to be low rather than high, but then again, it's all about local competition amongst companies to attract and retain programmers. Even though SF, NY and Seattle have higher costs of living, you'd probably still save more there with a high salary than in a cheaper city with like an 80-90k salary.

For example, Facebook apparently gives almost an entire extra years worth of salary as a bonus.

More info:
medium.com/@jtc/fall-2015-intern-new-grad-offers-472952ffb553

Attached: 0.jpg (852x492, 142K)

what's the consensus on the Tin T2's?
>inb4 /csg/
these are around the 50$ cutoff, and IEM's are headphones

Attached: Screenshot_28.png (579x430, 204K)

Why Goldman and Bloomberg pay the lowest?

Good thing I'm making almost double that ($140k/yr)

Gonna be retired in 5 years, just in time before the market to literally falls under itself.

East coast.

no goy dont go into IT, that's for losers, learn a trade so you bust your balls and back by the time you're 40 and jack off to anime girls while minorities and purple haired lesbian trannies make $100k a year for ctrlC ctrlV npm commands.

OP is not talking about tech hubs, I think, and 79k is pretty decent for an *average* programmer in the rest of the US.
It's not a meme right now, but I think it will be. If you are a stundent in school right now you might be the last generation of programmers to get such a generous compensation. Programming is getting commoditized -- in 20 years it will be almost a blue collar job.

100k/yr here, 4 years experience, low cost city east coast. I work with lots of technologies but mainly backend Java. I work for a startup in the west coast.

79k might be average if you work front end. That includes mobile and desktop app dev. Maybe those guys bring the average down.

>Is the whole $79k a year average for programmers a meme? Somehow I have a hard time believing it with how flooded the field is, here and elsewhere.
$79k average in the US is very low, unless you're talking entry level only.

it's $79k where a 1-bedroom apartment costs $3000/mo, but that still gives you plenty for investing

Old money corporations whose bottom line is the shareholder-not the employee.

Ivan here, its 25k USD per year for me.

Attached: big grin.png (360x360, 103K)

>the best programmers

None of these on Jow Forums, just unemployed fizzbuzz enthusiasts. 70k is too much for that kind of material.

Lmao. Where do you think we are? Some hidden heaven in the dark web?

It depends on the definition of "average".
There are few good programmers.
There are few very well paying fields.

There are many low-cost code factory places.

79k in SF wouldn't even pay your rent after the tax jew takes his cut

How much does shilling for Trump pay?

Is that image supposed to be parodying this one?

Attached: image.jpg (1000x1000, 1.11M)

What did he mean by this?

He means wise up bus Boi

Yup

how can you retards have a hard time believing this. i graduated a few years ago from a noname state uni and started with 102k out of school. im not super intelligent by any means, i started a club, did some babby useless research, and had a 3.9 gpa. i just wasn't autistic during interviews and applied everywhere i could

OP is the aftermath

How is he taking the picture of both hands are by his sides?

Look at the names of those companies.

$79k as an average of the whole US?
What percent of them work in places with high living costs? Because $79k in flyover land is pretty decent.

79k in flyover land is shit compared to 200k in Bellevue or Pittsburg.

I make 85k rn. Could get 100 if i found a better paying job but i like it here

Your average dev in pittsburg does not make 200k LOL

The entry-level market is tight right now for software developers, but most people I know in non-tech hubs make ~$60k starting unless they went off to the valley to make way more. Some don't have jobs though, but that's usually because they were ignorant to the difficulty in getting a job

>how flooded the field is
It really isn't. A large portion of people trying to break into the field are bootcamp devs/youtube turotialers who couldn't program their way out of a wet bag.

You could maybe say entry-level is flooded, but even so, the market for "above average to excellent" programmers isn't flooded at all. Most college kids only go to classes, smoke weed, get no internships and make no side projects. Then they graduate and realize nobody wants them.

This is certainly true in my town. Plenty of competition and new grads at the low levels, but every tech company has a perpetual job post for senior devs.

80K in Dallas alone makes you rich.

could ask you the same thing

kek this, sooner or later all these hipsters realize that HTML is not actually programming and that you still need to use your brain if you want to create anything new

Why do all programmers flock to Amrika?

The market's good here and capitalism.

Low tax rate decent salary

>low tax rate

Only outside of liberal/ jew states like NYC and california

Well yeah who the hell would choose to live in those places? You dont even have gun rights there

>Well yeah who the hell would choose to live in those places
Do you even have to ask?

Attached: 1525030023121.png (830x767, 806K)

is the market really that flooded? I'm at 120k and they keep treating me like a diva because they haven't been able to find anybody else qualified enough. I don't even do anything special I'm just writing them python applications.

Use your brain buddy
More income does not mean more profit at the end of the year

If you live in a place that hires for 100k but the rent is 80k then you only have 20k leftover.

If you live in somewhere where they hire for 70k but the rent is 30k you end up with 40k at the end of the year.

>b-but 100 is bigger than 70!! what the fug!!!

Why are you obsessed with the amount per year as if it means something, if you live in these high paying areas the chances are everything around it will also scale with it and cost more.

I'll do it in Java for 49k
- Pajeet

Gas hit $5 in new york today. Still 3 something here in real america

>That's like, average salary for someone with like two years' experience in fucking St. Louis Missouri.

I am from St Louis. What part of town do you work in? I am downtown.

Not skilled enough to get good positions in their own country so they move to the US to be code monkey h1b visa slaves.

you mean they don't want to work in a comcast call center so they move to america to get a real job lol

Yeah because they are not skilled enough to get good positions with good salary I'm their own country.

By that logic you can go to India, get a job that pays relatively well and enjoy the ethnic shit smells and the beautiful brown people.

Dunno man I'd rather not live in a shithole.

There's more to the world than the US and India.

you're their own country eh? congrats pajeet

I know, I don't even live in either. Living in an irrelevant shithole is still not what I'd call quality of life though.

lmgtfy.com/?q=cost of rent in sf

Chesterfield. If you don't like being far from the city, buy a fast car

what up my midwest bretheren. MI over here drinking a beer

That's the average; it's dragged up by super high salaries in NYC and SF. The median is lower.

What you sipping brah

I make 77k in TN and that's a bit high here. Then again the COL in this area is cheap as fuck. My total monthly expenses are less than $2k and I've got a four bedroom house with a wife and two kids.

got myself a Founders Pilsener since it's hot out today. You St. L boys have some good beers down there too

w-when did you guys start programming? and how long did it take to get a job?

Attached: 1505887560001.png (499x513, 283K)

$79K is average? Fuck me. The only offer I've gotten so far is $70k for a defense contractor in a low cost of living area. Is this bad? I was actually planning on accepting it.

That's a great wage if you're starting out. I start a job next week that offered me 55k, but it's not even really programming work. Scripting with Shopify's Liquid language. Sort of torn on it career-wise, but the money is way too good for me to turn down right now.

What state?

How much of your net income is going towards rent? It seems for most major hubs it's nearing 40%

yeah if you're starting out at an entry level developer position this isn't bad. if it's a good company typically they'll increase your pay within the first year. I went from being underpaid $50k to 90k in one year at a start up, left, lied, and got another job starting 120k at the next place. not even management just the austist 'guru' that gremlins up the dogfood they sell

Wouldn't it be the opposite since the cost of living in fly over states is substantially lower than those in silicon valley or the northeast?

Dude, most of these idiots barely leave their fucking house, let alone know jack fucking shit about living outside of butt fuck nowhere. You can easily find a 1 bedroom in NYC for sub 3k, hell even less than 2k if you're willing to live outside of Manhattan and don't mind commuting a bit further. I'd much rather have the high salary and pay a little more than live in the sticks dozens of mileage from anything interesting

no, just an anime imageboard that even its' creator gave up on

You're a moron. The quality of life in NYC is abysmal. There is nothing there worth the cost. I make the same salary on Boston and it's a thousand times more livable.

What is your favorite electric skateboard?

How is the quality of life in NYC "abysmal" assuming you've actually lived here before, didn't live in some hole in the wall and not talking out of your ass

I lived in Manhattan nigger. There are neighborhoods in southie nicer than any place in NYC. Boroughs are worse than shit. Enjoy your brown human blender island of crap.

>Muh minorities
You must have lived in Harlem if you're crying this much about darkies. But then again I'm pretty sure you haven't actually lived here.

>mfw earning 10k and rent is 1.8k

Attached: 8fb.jpg (1060x404, 157K)

that's only 18% of your money bro

If its really a low cost area and your first gig I would accept it in a heartbeat.

My second gig was 70k and I was ecstatic about that then. I don't have a degree though.

Take a look at the average salary in your area? If its really low cost of living its not to crazy to think you'll be making more then the breadwinners of some families.

55k what the christ thats fucking janitor-tier wage

I don't live in California or New York, so it goes way, way further. I was making 20k less than that at my old job, which wasn't tech-related. This new job still isn't where I want to be, but it's a lot closer.

get a 2yr degree and make $100k like me

Feels good living in a ghetto but working for an established company.
>make enough money in a day to pay my monthly expenses
wew

Should I get out of tech and do something like welding

>the it market

disregarded your entire post for that

I get paid extra to work night shifts and double for Sundays and public holidays and double for emergency calls.

On average I work 60-70 hours a week and get paid around €6000 a month after taxes.

Attached: DdvMtCRU0AUwlIl.jpg (738x679, 41K)

Not really. Nerd pop culture and the "STEM" meme have really just flooded the market with "computer science" and "software engineering" code monkeys. This has almost nothing to do with IT.

This. I work remote for a company in LA, live most of the year in norther mexico. I make my monthly expenses in a day or two bank the rest. Planning to unofficially retire at 40 and do whatever. I've already got enough banked to pay for my current lifestyle well into my 80s if I make it that long.

Where does rent cost 80k a year? You people are fucking delusional.

Probably not a good idea, long term.

Attached: they-took-our-jerbs.jpg (1121x1168, 88K)

Those are high numbers, but his point still stands. Places that have obscenely high costs of living generally have inflated wages to reflect that. 60k in Nebraska could equate to 100k in Silicon Valley, etc, so a bigger salary doesn't necessarily equate to more net income.

>60k in Nebraska vs 100k in Silicon Valley
It's more like 60k in Nebraska vs 200k in Silicon Valley. It's not even close. If you want to save money, you go to a tech hub.

>200k
Is that really what the average developer makes in Silicon Valley? If so, then yeah, maybe, but there are still vastly increased expenses to account for, not to mention your much higher tax bracket.

Similar to here in Dallas. Less than 2K. Dont have a family yet, but Im going to get one eventually.