What went wrong?

Will it ever not be shit?

And any chance it will ever be relevant anywhere besides a couple of niche markets like supercomputers and entry-level mobile devices?

Attached: GNU+Garbage.png (991x640, 271K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Paris/IronAHK
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Multiple_displays
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What makes Windows better? The proprietary programs?

not with the way things have been going for the past 10-20 years. Don't think there will ever be a distribution and software that will ever work well as a general desktop. Sucks even more today since MS and Apple are doing their best to fuck up their systems too, so there isn't much to use instead of.

Who said Windows was better?

gnu
x11
systemd
poettering
redhat
other brainlets

The kernel isn't even good.

How much work would it be to make a new graphics stack to replace xorg?

Specify what makes linux shit as a desktop OS

>Who said Windows was better?
I thought it was implied with calling Linux not suitable for the desktop.

Solid dual monitor support

I never had any problem with multiple monitors, what's wrong with the current multiple monitor support?

Windows at least has softwares and can be automated.

Attached: pingu.jpg (940x646, 122K)

Made the switch to using Debian as the only OS installed directly on my PC around 2012. Had to manually load a kernel module for my ethernet to work (this was resolved in Debian 8) and install nvidia drivers (this was resolved by switching to AMD). Other than that I never ran into problems, even dist-upgrades just work™. Your definition of "shit" seems kinda off to me.

gnome uses gayland....
... I mean wayland ...

Simplicity?

As a non-programmer that builds custom gaming PCs, I tried Ubuntu on a broken laptop to practice.

I could not see the appeal of a shittier UI with no programs. Windows by comparison is easier, when I want to download something you download it and click an EXE or unzip it. In linux you search for days to find some obscure get-code that several linuxfags will flame you for not somehow premeditating the knowledge because linux is only for enlightened monks.

It's a trash, toxic community that eats itself alive and scares away any newcomers. It's shitter than they realize, not user friendly, and has no selling point. The only time it's worth it is in very specific applications, like making RetroPies

Wayland will fix
EVERY
THING

every single operating system (OR KERNEL!) has problems. for me linux works perfectly as my main OS and It would be nice if you actually told us your problems OP

What is your concept of "relevant?" Most people just use whatever OS their employer forces them to use, so as long as this is the case in business, nothing really matters to begin with. If you start to force people to use GNU/Linux at work then it will slowly just become the same thing as windows, loaded with ads and telemetry. This is the current state of society that big software products need to do that to stay afloat.

People have already been working on Wayland for years, go get involved with that if you want to help.

>get mad at the system because you didn't learn how to use it properly
You have baby duck syndrome. Think back to when you were a computer noob, Windows isn't exactly easy for beginners either.

good
fuck off
we don't want you

>Windows at least has softwares
so has Linux
>and can be automated.
so can Linux, to a bigger extend even.

I've been using it since 2003 or 04, first introduction was DSL.
It's still the exact same it was back then absolutely nothing has changed.
We need to start a movement to improve the LS (linux situation).
Either people start investing more energy into linux or it'll always be a piece of shit niche pile of dog shit.

>What went wrong?
Mostly it was not automatically banning people who visit /v/ on Jow Forums. This allowed Jow Forums to be overrun by consumerism because video games reprogram your reward system to expect an immediate dopamine hand job for everything you do.

what the hell are you talking about?

>get mad at the system because you didn't learn how to use it properly
You have baby duck syndrome. Think back to when you were a computer noob, Windows isn't exactly easy for beginners either.

But what's the benefit? Nothing is plug and play. Had to find broken drivers for just about every peripheral, only to have a wonky desktop that I couldn't do anything with.

It's like going back to the twig & stone age because the metal age is just "too complex"

what are you talking about? I've installed Ubuntu and Linux Mint on the computers of tech illiterate family, they can navigate and use it no problem. The only time I needed to help was when I had to Install CUPS to make a printer work.
If you think downloading, unzipping and installing in linux is easy then you are retarded. Most distros nowadays come with graphical managers to manage your packages, no need to open the terminal.

>mac
>download dmg (if it's not in appstore)
>open dmg
>drag file into applications folder
>done
easy peasy

>most used OS in the world
>any chance it will ever be relevant?

Attached: BDF0EDB6C2F94DEC8622334374A7E168.png (856x846, 85K)

>Wayland will fix
>EVERY
>THING
Nope

I want /v/ to leave

Windows is as far from simple as you can get. Simplicity implies the opposite of complicated. And Windows is very complicated. Most distributions with Linux fell into the same trap. Shit is overly complicated, not fun to use, and not as discoverable without google as it once was.

Windows is trash, GNU/Linux is trash, OS X is kinda ok, but stuck on trash computers. No matter where you go, the desktop experience have become a lot worse than what it once were. There are simple distributions, but the desktop environments are still somehow worse than what they were 10-15 years ago. KDE5 is too damn unstable and somewhat inconsistent, GNOME3 feels like a toy phone with fake buttons and screens, XFCE is ok, but its age when combined with GTK3 and QT applications shows, especially when you have a higher DPI display.

I think the most comfortable desktop for me these days is CRUX + i3. It is simple, but not something for the inexperienced.

>If you think downloading, unzipping and installing in linux is easy then you are retarded
*windows

That's strange because Linux generally has more built-in drivers that Windows does these days. What weird ass proprietary peripherals are you using that don't work?

>most used
>servers, programming, enterprise

You mean most used for corporations and etc not actual real people
Linux is not a peoples' os

This thread is about Linux (a kernel). Windows is a shitty OS.

What went wrong?

Will mactoddler subhumans ever be rounded up and executed?

Attached: 1522191936718.jpg (996x954, 299K)

Correct. It's a kernel. used as the base for Android, which is very popular. There is also ChromeOS, that students in Norway use.

>This is the current state of society
That's capitalism.

>so can Linux, to a bigger extend even.
not command line automation, what about GUI automation, some form of unified keyboard, mouse, gui elements, is there anything similar to autoit / autohotkey ? ive been regularly searching for this and so far ive stumble upon setxkbmap but thats just a simple function of AHK even doable on linux in others ways.

im too dependant on ahk to automate simple shit like sending a command to copy a tabs tittle and url, saving the tab via browser-saveto-gui as to not re-download the resource, close the tab.... all with the browser not needing to be in foreground, avoind a ton of mouse and keyboard shit i would repeat all day long... this particular example could be achieved via downthemall in firefox... but my point is, is there an equivalent on linux for any DE whatsoever?

Why linux still has those 777 sudo permission rules? I'm the only user here, and that shit was made for ancient terminals.

Also get rid of bash and shell. Everything that is related to shell is terrible, especially configure scripts. Windows and mac were moving in the right direction, making gui.

Windows isn't without problems either, I don't understand anything about registry, and most of configs deep in the system.

>so has Linux
No. Linux doesn't have Office, SharePoint, QuickBooks, Minitab, etc.
>so can Linux
No. You can't apply network/group policy as you can with Active Directory, Exchange and Intune.

>servers
Only web servers though.
>programming
No, Windows is the most used OS for programming.
>enterprise
Which enterprise? Pic related, get your facts straight, idiot.

Attached: 1491923427773.png (1385x945, 200K)

Soon.

Attached: 1517245080382.png (1280x853, 746K)

>entry level mobile devices
So, every phone except iPhone is entry level?

Attached: image.jpg (200x193, 47K)

iPhone is poverty tier, right below entry level.

Attached: 1522634490024.webm (640x290, 2.43M)

What went wrong. It's important to understand your mistakes so you can learn from them. We can still ban /v/ from Jow Forums. All we need is the willpower.

this desu

>Windoze: click,click, done
>Loonix: -sudovisudo -aptgetgaymaymay -installyzx -sudosu -gksudo gaywoodo = dapendency mangled your pitiful attempt to install opensource hoboware

>every phone except iPhone is entry level?
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: yes, it is.

ThisTBHfam.
Linux has its uses, but not as a desktop OS, not this decade at any rate.

Disappointing, it doesn't have to be like this.

>GNU/Linux doesn't have a bunch of proprietary microsoft software
Are you really that surprised about this? If you want to be stuck in the MS monopoly then go do it but don't act like you don't know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

I wonder when people on this shitty mongolian cavepainting forum will realize that desktop computers is a niche market.

different DPI per each monitor

w2c this cute pengin

Linux is a kernel, like Wundows NT. POSIX compliant systems can do anything.

windos had automation of tens of thousands of windows clients (GPO policies etc) working 20 years before it was 10 years before the word Ansible became first uttered, so 40 years before it will be out of beta

try IronAHK:
github.com/Paris/IronAHK
never used Auto Hotkey in my life so I am not sure, found this on stackexchange with a simple searx.

>Linux doesn't have Office
Office 365 works on linux, Libreoffice works, MS Office also works fine through WINE
>sharepoint
G Suite works, HumHub is also a nice alternative.
>quickbooks
works pretty good with WINE if you want a working native alternative there is GNUCash and Odoo.
>Minitab
Again it can be run in WINE, you could also Learn R or try out Number Analytics or PSPP
>Active Directory
You've got Samba and Zentyal as drop in replacement
>Intune
Ocsinventory-ng.org

Unironically yes

>Office, SharePoint,
360 and Mono

>Minitab
Dude, wtf, learn R

>You can't apply network/group policy as you can with Active Directory, Exchange and Intune.
What is LDAP + Kerberos

/thread

>Comparing directory services to a provisioning system
If you had ever actually used these you would know they are not comparable.

Also Microsoft did not invent the concept of configuration management.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Multiple_displays

>>get mad at the system because you didn't learn how to use it properly
>You have baby duck syndrome. Think back to when you were a computer noob, Windows isn't exactly easy for beginners either.

A well designed interface doesn't need learning.

>gui is the best, better than terminals
Right, cause scrolling through tons of menus and buttons is just so much better than using the help command or the man page.

>Unironically yes
this show me a Linux version of Sumatra PDF or Foobar2000

Jow Forums is fucked. we never finish anything and all we do is complain about everything while not even trying to fix it.

>x11
At least it's not Wayland, nor is it the CUA-imitation DEs popular today.

>workaround

you serious with that tar -zsdh.lfjgkldfhjlôfdhdôfh -gd -gfdgdf - "fuck me" -visudo gibberish?

so why could I change any setting in the windows ecosystem/registry 20 years ago remotely, but on linux I still have to depend on unreliable configuration management tools ? Maybe get a proper registry, instead of shitty .conf text files that you have to run unreliable regexp and sed and grep and awk and python scripts to change

vidya

Attached: 1481598000673.png (1024x1449, 712K)

Open Source killed it.
We could have a wonderful free system, but instead we have yet another OS controlled by companies like Microsoft.

I like this bait.
>unreliable regexp
Unreliable how? Regular expression languages are formally defined, and proven to be able to search for anything you want them to search for. Beyond this, scripts are very easy to proof against errors, if an error does occur.
There are already registries, like dconf and gconf, and all they do is make it impossible to change a setting in a reasonable amount of time.
>sed
>grep
>awk
Are you too pussy to buy a keyboard for your computer? Are you dependent on the mouse? If you have physical or mental disabilities, I'd understand.
>python
wwwww lol

i want to fug dva

>vidya
If only there were more Linux games, I would shit on Microsoft

Android has gorillions of games.

>Will it ever not be shit?
It already isn't shit.

No, it's not the Windows or OSX or whatever you're accustomed to. That's a different problem.

see Having to learn your interface is GOOD, it means you're actually understanding what you're doing. This current mentality of "I need an app for everything" is making you stupid.

The registry is garbage, not everything can be stuffed into a key-value store. People have tried to make these for decades on various Unix system and they don't catch on because turns out a lot of programs need more than this.

>unreliable regexp and sed and grep and awk and python scripts
Hey just a suggestion, maybe trying learning to actually write and debug your scripts before you roll them out into a production environment?

>mobileshit

TempleOS will go mainstream before Linux.

Attached: fall_off_tower.gif (349x194, 1.03M)

>Android has gorillions of games.
and 999.999 of them are pure shit

At one point, you had to learn how to use a spoon, fork, chopsticks, knife. You even had to learn how to eat food with your fingers without dropping it. Learning is always involved.

> a couple of niche markets like supercomputers
It runs most of the world's servers.

Which are the things in between your web browser / smart poine and what you're asking for in that URL bar or app background request. They are also the things that do most of the work in many companies.

Basically not niche at all, it's more like "world-dominating" in importance. Most of those ever important stock market servers? Linux.

But you'll maybe never get to control any of these as a end user that doens't have any training or degrees in the field. You are supposed to use Android or something if you don't care to be a sysadmin and don't have any particular needs.

GNU/Linux*

Linux is the desktop version of android.

Same thing with games on windows, and on consoles, and on ios, and in real life...

Yes buddy you are so good at computers.

Imagine being at computers.

>Unreliable how?

the .conf file can contain something your regexp wasnt prepared for, one fucked up config and it wont work or do something stupid. Cant happen with proper types in registry.

Those are just glorified file servers and calculators which are used 90% because it's free, literally that's it.

What would fuck up the config?

A good product will never be made unless there is money involved. This is the greatest fundamental flaw with Linux and why it will never be as good as Windows/MacOS

The "glorified" part includes distributed databases and large data processing and so on, and a lot more. Even commonly used software is frequently complex.

And apart from being free, it's easy to customize [may also mean run old software in a container or whatever], administrate and such.

But we don't need you to understand or touch it. You are pretty much supposed to use Android if you can't into computers and need the standard end user package with GUI.

Lol what? Clearly you haven't been doing this for long, the registry is just a database, anything can write fucked up values to it and cause problems.

No, you're just not the literate computer user Linux is for. Dozens to hundreds of billions went into Linux and Linux software stacks that are in operation right now. The whole thing is between "neat" to "a marvel", and it literally runs much of the world's economy and day-to-day operations.

The problem why you can't see it is maybe that you don't want a distributed filesystem running a distributed computation engine from containers, but just /v/ideogames that were made for Windows. Might as well complain about Windows not supporting most current Nintendo video games, though.

>tfw to intelligent: The Post

I tried Kubuntu for two days until I couldnt take it anymore...
it cant read the USB drive
and in firefox clicking right leads to some random action (from the context menu) instead of just displaying the context menu.
WTF.
this is unusable.
when I have more time, I will try Mint and Manjaro, if they dont work I give up on Linux

you can always overwrite fucked up value in registry.

if someone puts

ConfigSetting=1
ConfigSetting=1
ConfigSetting=1
ConfigSetting=1
ConfigSetting=1

or removes all occurences and so on, developer changes the setting in new version etc, GL writing regexp for all the possibilities, but perhaps you like writing regexp for hours instead of changing one setting in registry in 1 sec that is 100% reliable?

even non fucked up stuff is tricky and even Ansible cant handle all the shit sometimes:

#ConfigSetting=1
ConfigSetting=1
ConfigSettingDifferent=1
#ConfigSettingDifferent=1
DifferentConfigThatOverridesPreviousIfNotExists=1
ConfigSetting=2

pretty common cause of fuck ups:

config setting must be set before some other setting, if gets fucked and is set on multiple places, your hacky regexp removes all occurences of the setting and leaves only one, but leaves the one in the wrong place. CG your system is now fucked, wouldnt happen with registry.

literally 60s technology and dont get me started on how many config standards there are, every fucking config file uses different syntax

>registry
>100% reliable
lol

not much but idiots would still make compatibility layer for new stuff around it

>And any chance it will ever be relevant anywhere besides a couple of niche markets like supercomputers and entry-level mobile devices?
Why does it matter to you where other people use it?
It is used a lot on the desktop, it just isn't the main option for people.
I have used it daily for about 10 years, I think it is fine.

>Windows and mac were moving in the right direction, making gui.

Lol its fumny how lamers how no idea about tech, M$ its paying more attention to CLI , thats why they creater powershell, and dotnet cli tools , they found professional sysadmins and programmers are much more productive on cli than being GUItards, even common users could benefit from cli because that opens the door to natural language interfaces.

who knows
linux used to boot in 20 seconds on my computer, now it takes over a minute

in fact, many things on linux work less reliably than they did just 3-5 years ago

search for this article on google since 4ch wont let me post it
>why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

freedesktop and the unwillingness to take the UNIX approach to the next, 21st century compatible, needed level while at the same time trying to be a POSIX system.

what I mean is the heritage. there is too much of it. but everybody who tries to overcome the heritage makes everything worse because they do not principles that still make sense.

applies to BSD, too

gnu - nothing wrong with them people. gnu stuff is usually very modular (you can use linux without gnu and do not have any loss of user experience) and the license makes sense.
x11 - needs a replacement, but that should be x12
systemd - the biggest mistake that a programmer could have made
poettering - I really don't get why that freak is in the position that he is
redhat - fuck them
other brainlets - true

kernel - it is good for what it is but it is not the end of the road

all of this being said: linux is at this point in time the best free, libre OS that you can find and it works better than WIN or MAC in most cases. if your opinion on this differs from mine, then you are a faggot.

The only people complaining about Linux are gaymers and visual basic for M$ office pseudo programmers who failed trying to be special using ubuntard.

>le proprietary is bad meemee
kek
Also, Microsoft is not a monopoly.

Attached: 1524332712027.jpg (1440x1080, 108K)