It's just basically a Linux distribution on steroids

It's just basically a Linux distribution on steroids.
So why all the hate?

Attached: MacOS_original_logo.svg.png (1177x1024, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html
notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i7-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i5-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3.156031.0.html
youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/
developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/About/About.html
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/66039198/#66041492
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/66039198/#q66041514
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's not like Linux, though. It's more like FreeBSD.

It sucks wet goat farts through a bendy straw at actual unixy workloads. The filesystems and scheduler are abhorrent. Most of the GNU tools are a decade out of date due to paranoid fear of the GPLv3. There's probably spyware and NSA backdoors built in that Apple can never acknowledge due to NSLs.

macOS isn't terrible. It's a hybrid thing that strikes a somewhat decent balance between flexibility and convenience. It has it's issues, obviously, but it's not a terrible OS. Biggest issue is overall compatibility with parts, due to Apple's business practices.

The massive issue is it's only shipped on overpriced, poorly built machines whose only value is that perceived by the public.

>Most of the GNU tools are a decade out of date due to paranoid fear of the GPLv3
There are almost no GNU tools at all, you dolt. macOS uses Darwin-core, which is basically just the FreeBSD userland running on top of the XNU micro kernel.

>There's probably spyware and NSA backdoors built in that Apple can never acknowledge due to NSLs.
The kernel and core system are all open source, so no.

>Most of the GNU tools are a decade out of date
There is nothing stopping you downloading newer versions.

No, it's nothing like Linux at all. It's closed source and runs only on shit-tier hardware. It has all the downsides of a proprietary UNIX OS without even being UNIX at all, and hardly any of the benefits. The security is shit, the utilities are outdated, the software library is small, etc.

It's just a terrible OS.

Attached: sour-grapes3.jpg (900x644, 172K)

>he set up a hackintosh and now wont stop praising the fuck out of macos
yikes

>muh fox and grapes
Nigger, I sold my MemeBook Poor for a nice Dell business laptop that dual boots Windows 7 and Fedora 28, and I don't miss that creaky thermal throttling piece of chinkshit one bit.

Good for you, but it doesn't change that half the things you said are blatantly untrue and the rest are exaggerations though.

Almost expected you to own a Thinkpad. Just another victim of 'business laptop dual boot with Linux' who trades actually real life productivity for acceptance on internet message board

>So why all the hate?
Objective-C

>He uses a *nix-based OS and doesn't use Cinnamon
GNOME is acceptable too but not the default fucking trash FM that ships with 18.04

He's right though these pieces of shit CONSTANTLY overheat and thermal throttle.

t. 2015 macbook """"""""""pro"""""""""" owner

>"After our one-hour stress test with Prime95 and FurMark (Windows), the CPU runs at only1.2 GHz, while the graphics card is also limited to just 400 MHz. Even though devices fromAsus,Acer& Co. also throttle, none of the direct rivals loses that much performance. The performance of the MacBook was much better under OS X, but the tools (Cinebench and Unigine Heaven) are not that demanding for the hardware."

notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html

>"We had our doubts on the performance of the Surface Pro 4 Core i7 configuration considering the throttling issues found on the Surface Pro 3. Luckily, we can observe no major performance issues when under high loads. The tablet is able to maintain its maximum Turbo Boost of 3.2 GHz for both cores when under Prime95 stress and Unigine Heaven stress."

notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i7-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i5-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3.156031.0.html

Attached: 1521830159820.png (760x400, 381K)

>Fedora
apropos

You don't even know what the fuck you're talking about, for starters.

What I said is true. Find another place to shill, Poojeet.

I'm 100x more productive without the ShitBook and fagOS getting in my way. I also get double the battery life.

>on steroids
more like on birth control

>What I said is true.
Wrong

>Find another place to shill, Poojeet.
It's not shilling to point out blatant lies, faggot. Kill yourself.

see and pic related

Attached: 1502768351185.jpg (1750x960, 334K)

I wasn't referring to the throttling or any other inaccuracies or exaggerations, faggot. I was referring to your blatant lies.

How can you be productive on Linux? Literally how? It's a server operating system.

>basically a Linux distribution
>Linux
last I heard, MacOS doesn't use Linus Torvald's kernel

>It's a server operating system
It's a kernel. GNU/Linux is an operating system and tool suite with which one can be extremely productive

Macs may not use Linus Torvalds, but Linus Torvalds sure use Macs.

Attached: torvalds.jpg (619x442, 47K)

As an Apple user I agree with this post, normies have ruined Apple, with their demand for sleek laptops which became non-expandable shit. Also company been going downhill ever since Steve died, (ironically he predicted it). Also MacOS team has been mostly disbanded and moved to iOS development ever since 2016. I've been using Macs since 2007, but it might be time to jump ship to Linux with next computer. My 2012 non retina MacBook, has served me well thus far.

>So why all the hate?
poorfags.

27", 2017, 5K iMac reporting for attention. No hate here. Only love.

Prove me wrong. Saying I'm wrong over and over doesn't make me wrong.

You have to install a third party package manager and software to get half the functionality of Linux. HFS+ is utter shit and APFS is mediocre, and made for flash storage only. What else do use for backup disks? exFAT? NTFS? Then you encounter the problems with the Preview app that can't open a fucking gif in 1999+19, so you need a new image viewing app. The UI is a retarded waste of space, with a big stupid dock and an Android app drawer. Spotlight indexing is a fucking mess.

And the battery life is so bad that Applel removed the time remaining indicator a couple versions ago so dumbasses wouldn't notice how abysmal it was.

No forced updates, no windows rot, no crashing. It has decent file systems and XFCE just works. I can run Firefox, Open Office, and any CLI tool under the sun. I have all the dev tools I use at work. I've never had a problem with Linux. Only Winshit and fagOS ever gave me trouble.

>Dell business laptop
Enjoy all the quirky little problems that come with that. Source: just deployed a fleet of Latitudes at work and we're about to send them all back because we're having so many issues.

Some people are most productive with a fast, powerful *nix that runs on cheap hardware. That's literally why Linux exists and why proprietary unix workstations other than Macs are extinct.
>it's also why WSL exists

Attached: software aint free.png (680x433, 78K)

I hate that you can't upgrade any of it's internal shit, and as a pro machine it's kinda unacceptable. Also, I prefer my own displays,thanks.

I haven't had any problems with mine. Works on my machine. The thing was cheap too.

The 2017 iMac has access in the back for upgrading the RAM, but to upgrade the storage drive is a journey unto itself.

that's the problem, it's a linux distro but it's balls shrunk to the size of raisins and it now has tits and unresolved anger issues

>Prove me wrong.
macOS isn't proprietary, it's a mix of proprietary and free as in freedom (see darwin core and XNU kernel).

It's also a true UNIX (as in fully POSIX compliant).

>You have to install a third party package manager
pkgutil is a builtin package manager, you flaming faggot.

Also, the fact that macports exist and pkgsrc works on mac (yes, the very same pkgsrc as is the package management system in FreeBSD), clearly makes it more UNIX than Linux is.

>HFS+ is utter shit
Deprecated two years ago and about as relevant today as ext3 is.

>APFS is mediocre, and made for flash storage only
Wrong, it's optimized for flash storage, just like xfs and refs are for Linux and Windows respectively. Doesn't mean they don't work on spinning disks.

>hen you encounter the problems with the Preview app that can't open a fucking gif in 1999+19
Really? "hurr durr I can't see mah jiffs". How's that file uploader thumbnail going, faggot?

>The UI is a retarded waste of space, with a big stupid dock and an Android app drawer.
Literally who cares except ricer faggots?

>Spotlight indexing is a fucking mess.
Why use spotlight when Alfred exists?

Not that guy but I gave my work issued mbp to my grandmother an never looked back.

Inb4 hurr durr 3rd party

Like you never installed the proprietary nvidia driver or downloaded rpms from third-parties.

not him but why doubt him? Most apple users are sore losers after they realize what a turd of a "computer" they bought

>not him but why doubt him?
Because he fucking lying in order to prove a point.

Attached: i want.jpg (321x322, 25K)

THERE IS NO FUCKING LINUX IN MAC OS X.
THERE ARE ONLY ONE FUCKING GNU PROGRAM, NANO.
OTHER IS FROM SJWBSD.

Attached: rms03.jpg (3504x2336, 2.7M)

>it's UNIX
No, it's not UNIX. Certs don't mean anything. The technology itself is what's meaningful. If I had enough enough money and the right connections I could probably shit in a bag and get it certified as UNIX. In the same breath that you tell me this, you mention XNU. It stands for "X is Not UNIX", further illustrating my point that you don't know what you're talking about.

>pkgutil
>pkgsrc
Both are shit, but I was referring to Homebrew, which is also shit.

>HFS+ was depreciated
Not really a high a bar they set for themselves there. APFS is also garbage. It's just not as bad as HFS+, so you think it's good. It's not. XFS is better.

>muh thumbnails
Literally the only valid criticism of Firefox and GTK and I've seen.

>muh Alfred
More third party shit because the built in components don't measure up.

I'm not an nVidiot.

The problem is mostly the hardware:
youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8
But the software side been quite bad lately too.

Also android is literally an linux distribution and people here hate it for several good reasons.

Maybe but how would you feel if you blew 2 grand on a fucking computer only to have webm related happen to it?

Attached: derp.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

>No, it's not UNIX. Certs don't mean anything.
It's basically FreeBSD with a true microkernel. That makes it a UNIX. It adheres to POSIX, that also makes it a UNIX.

>I could probably shit in a bag and get it certified as UNIX
Except you couldn't.

>It stands for "X is Not UNIX"
And GNU stands for GNU not UNIX too, it's a fucking joke man.

>Both are shit, but I was referring to Homebrew, which is also shit.
You didn't even know pkgutil existed until I literally just told you, and if pkgsrc is shit then why does FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD use it?

>APFS is also garbage.
Any proofs to back that up?

>XFS is better.
It's not even remotely the same file system, faggot. I just mentioned it as an example of a filesystem that is highly optimized for NVMe disks.

>Literally the only valid criticism of Firefox and GTK and I've seen.
Holy shit, you think "muh thumbnails" is a VALID criticism of Linux? You're even more retarded than I assumed you were.

>More third party shit because the built in components don't measure up.
Oh no!! Not THIRD PARTIES!!!!!

I wouldn't fucking lie on Jow Forums, it is obvious that he has never touched a mac in his life.

>true microkernel
It's like half of FreeBSD in one daemon... which runs in kernelspace. NeXT and XNU are the ultimate proof of the failure of Mach. If you want a true microkernel check out Minix 3 or Redox or Genode, or fucking GNU Hurd.

I believe you now. Yeah he didn't have enough crippling buyer's remorse in his wording like that of actual macbook owners.

what is happening

It's a feature™

This is bait

is it that wireless charging thing

It isn't though. Apple stopped adding useful features last decade, ever since Mountain Lion they have just fucked stuff up and made it more buggy. These days it's practically unusable, everything new they add is just "mobile parity" stuff to make it look more like iOS. High Sierra is a laggy piece of garbage, even on machines made this year. Why? What's wrong with them? I don't want all these animations and transparency and blur effects, they do nothing but waste my GPU cycles. Stop adding panels everywhere and then hiding the scrollbars just to make it look more "clean" like a mobile app, it makes it incredibly difficult for people to navigate anything.

Look, I get it, Nextstep was a good platform, in 1992. But from a technical standpoint it feels like they just ran with that and haven't questioned many of the fundamental decisions made then even now. But hey they sure do love deprecating and removing APIs and not updating their documentation ever. They also sure do love making new and very specific proprietary APIs that will never work on any other system ever.

Also launchd is somehow worse than systemd, the whole underlying OS is a mess of XML plist junk and unparseable binary formats. They based it on BSD but don't bother to maintain a ports system for anybody because fuck you, buy this overpriced third party program on the app store that tries to fix your problem but doesn't really. Or you could use more third party stuff like homebrew which breaks packages all the time and will fuck up your system if you try to do anything complicated or make it behave more like GNU or a real BSD. Come to think of it I really don't understand why macs are popular with developers, they are a shit experience from end to end.

He runs Fedora on them

>Minix 3
Non-free license

>Redox
Meme OS project written in Rust without any real functionality yet

>Genode
So hipster and obscure I haven't even heard of it yet

>GNU Hurd
Literally 40 years as vaporware and still not functioning properly.

Great examples of "true microkernels", user.

I'm not lying, you asshurt shitstain. Argue in good faith or don't argue on Jow Forums at all. You're such a fucking bitch.
>he's lying!
>he's lying!
You're like a retarded parrot. No proof, only a single line that you reuse ad infinitum. Absolutely pathetic.

Not only that, but now we get a bunch of shills and r*dditors on Jow Forums promoting this garbage. I hope other Anons and don't fall for the Apple meme.

>FreeBSD
No it isn't. It uses ancient FreeBSD coreutils on top of Mach. It's not a microkernel OS either. It's a hybrid in that it can offload drivers into userspace, but that's about all.

>GNU is not UNIX
I never claimed it was.

>defending third party shitware
Good little shill. Defend, defend, defend. Deny, deny, deny.

>you never touched a mac!
You say this as if Macs are special. They're not. They standard PC hardware in a cheap aluminium soda can case with awful keyboards that run a shitty OS.

I bet you've never touched PA-RISC or HP-UX or IRIX on SGI MIPS in your life. Not even a SPARC workstation. Not even OpenSolaris on x86. You wouldn't know UNIX if System V walked up and slapped your on the ass.

Shut up and go away, faggot.

Fedora is the best Linux distro.

>I'm not lying,
You are though. macOS is both a UNIX and Darwin-core is free as in freedom (not proprietary).

>You're like a retarded parrot. No proof, only a single line that you reuse ad infinitum. Absolutely pathetic.
Nice ad hominems, but doesn't change the fact that you are lying.

>No it isn't. It uses ancient FreeBSD coreutils on top of Mach.
You're wrong. FreeBSD coreutils are from newest release. Again, you are just lying.

>It's not a microkernel OS either. It's a hybrid in that it can offload drivers into userspace, but that's about all.
That's literally the definition of a micro kernel, you fucking dolt.

>Good little shill. Defend, defend, defend. Deny, deny, deny.
Lol, what happened to "argue in good faith" and not bieng a retard parrot? You literally parroted the same words.

>You say this as if Macs are special.
Thank you for confirming that you've never actually tried a mac.

>I bet you've never touched PA-RISC or HP-UX or IRIX on SGI MIPS in your life. Not even a SPARC workstation. Not even OpenSolaris on x86. You wouldn't know UNIX if System V walked up and slapped your on the ass.
Said the Linux user, fucking kek.

Who cares, macOS is good because it just works. It has all the software you’ll ever need. For regular people and the developers.
Points stated above by two arguing autists are irrelevant for 99% of the population.

That's good that Darwin-core is free software. But macOS isn't and that's what we're talking about. Please call me when any of the UI gets released as free software.

Nah, Linus used a fagbook for all of 2 weeks before he realized it was a steaming pile of shit and tossed it to his kids like the toddler toy that it is.

Attached: 1497933629984.jpg (857x856, 179K)

Why do you care about open source UI? You can run Darwin as a stand-alone OS, without any proprietary code if you want. It's not like Gnome is reviewed or audited either, if it was, maybe we'd have thumbnails by now.

>that headline
Triggered

If macshit just works, why does applel need a support community?
Checkmate cocksmoker.

The Air was also the last one where they didn't go full retard on the hardware and people had working linux drivers for it within a reasonable amount of time. On modern macs nothing works, and of course apple will never release hardware specs or design the things with standard interfaces anymore.

Man I wish there was a premium laptop manufacturer that specialized in Linux. System76 looks like shit.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1503494490007.png (1245x852, 145K)

>doesn't know what UNIX is
>doesn't understand microkernels
>"u nvr tri macshit!"
You've proven all of my points. There is nothing left to argue over because you're just wrong. Go look this stuff up. You especially wrong about the microkernel part. I've contributed to the NetBSD/MINIX ports for ARM and I know what I'm talking about.

OS X is not UNIX. It's not a microkernel. You are mentally disabled.

I want OpenSolaris development to pick back up. ZFS, DTrace, and illumos are vastly superior technologies to the trash on the market right now.

>steroids
Almost like it's a good thing.
It's slow and polished, but the polish in like the Poland and the cheap wood polish.

>ships outdated coreutils
>no package manager
>steroids

>It's basically FreeBSD with a true microkernel.
Why do you feel the need to lie to sell your gay faggot OS?
This isn't facebook where you can just parrot Applel marketing bullshit to your grandma and normie friends to try and make them think you're technology literate.

Attached: 1514925434579.png (476x294, 45K)

>I've contributed to the NetBSD/MINIX ports
Sure you have.

Also
>"MINIX is UNIX"
looool

>OS X is not UNIX.
It is though.
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

>Dtrace
guess which OS actually does support it.

see

>it's based on the older Mach 2 architecture
That is old as fuck.

Since 10.4, XNU has been based on Mach 3.

developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/About/About.html

>it's a clusterfuck because I say so
Okay

Coreutils are literal

Coreutils are literally from last year.

pkgutil is the name of the builtin package manager, but why use that when you can have pkgsrc and install freebsd packages?

>MINIX is UNIX
Here we go again, with you trying to put words in my mouth. Fuck yourself.

>OS X is UNIX
No it isn't. As I said, certs matter less than the techology. FaggotOS is not UNIX. X is Not UNIX.

>OS X DTrace
The implementation is old and shitty, just like FreeBSD implementation (which is where they got it from).

>it's not a clusterfuck because my employer (Applel) say so
Okay

Attached: 1505519307583.webm (1280x720, 2.83M)

>Here we go again, with you trying to put words in my mouth. Fuck yourself.
You literally tried to pass Minix off as a UNIX, holy kek that level of backpedalling.

>As I said, certs matter less than the techology
It's not even about the cert, it's about POSIX compliance.

>The implementation is old and shitty
Loool, okay, yes, something that according to you isn't maintained anymore is old and apparently. How surprising.

Attached: moving-the-goalpost.jpg (275x183, 11K)

Great comeback! You sure told me! Why don't you post more images with poop emojis, like

>it's about POSIX compliance.
fagOS hasn't been posix compliant for 99% of its existance.

Attached: 1509170759186.png (506x927, 136K)

Why do you care about proprietary UI? Man can you imagine how horrible it would be if the public managed to get their hands on the code to draw a button, that would just be a disaster. BTW I would run Darwin if it didn't have garbage hardware support because apple doesn't care about anything that isn't made by them
>le thumbnail meme
This never bothered me but if it did I would fix it myself. Meanwhile in mac land, I have no option but to complain and yet apple will never listen because the ghost of steve jobs says that the customer is always wrong. Thanks steve.

>it has bugs therefore it's not compliant
According to that logic, Linux isn't compliant either... Oh wait, it never was.

>Why do you care about proprietary UI?
Because at least it isn't like these:
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/66039198/#66041492
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/66039198/#q66041514

Muh evil Apple, muh isheep. I’m so #woke

That’s literally it. Memes from /v/ children who can’t afford Macs anyways

>my faggotOS is totally unix!!!111
>nobody cares if it failed posix compliance for the last decade!!11
Mactoddlerism.

Attached: 1520940142647.jpg (1000x710, 274K)

No matter what OS you use, you're bound to be mad for one reason or another. If it was any other way we wouldn't have several contenders in the market.

Attached: apple unix advert.jpg (1976x1202, 401K)

>a bug means it doesn't comply

I never said MINIX was UNIX. Your reading comprehension sucks. DTrace is maintained on OpenSolaris. You also just insinuated that it was supported on OS X. What does supported mean to you? Does it mean you can halfass it? Seems like this applies to all of OS X, a slapped together god turd of an OS.

>OS X
>POSIX
Lol, poll() mactoddler.

>steroids
>Linux
It's a shitty BSD variant.

Linux is a kernel

>DTrace is maintained on OpenSolaris.
OpenSolaris was discontinued in 2009 you hopeless try hard.

>bragging about a poverty brand

Attached: 1514563291199.png (830x971, 606K)

see

Because it's hardware locked. If it was installable on all computers it would be the most popular OS by far.

See

Except it is, it's the same shit, Apple has UI regressions and stuff that fucks up all the time.

I personally don't use any DE or display manager because that stuff is just bloat.

Correct. It's either POSIX compliant or it isn't. There is no in between.

OpenSolaris is the generic name given to the illumos project and derivatives of it, including but not limited to, illumos and OpenIndiana.

You wanna pull this autistic bullshit on me? Don't say Linux. It's GNU/Linux. Don't say OS X or Mac OS or macOS, it's Mach/NeXTStep/FreeBSD/GNU.

>I run a headless system and so should everyone else!!
>but you should totally trust my opinions on GUI though, they are just as valid!!