Are these guys serious? Not defending Facebook...

theverge.com/2018/5/22/17380982/mark-zuckerberg-european-parliament-meeting-monopoly-antitrust-breakup-question

Are these guys serious? Not defending Facebook, but how can you claim a company has this much power when you can simply stop using it, taking away part of its revenue, and start using alternatives that provide equal, if not better content? Why are tech-incompetent people always meddling in tech? If you can't name one, even one, alternative to Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram then maybe you shouldn't do policy regarding technology.

Attached: Screenshot_20180522_183545.png (1005x486, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp._v._United_States
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>If you can't name one, even one, alternative to Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram

at this point there aren't any. the monopolies are so big that the alternatives have negligible impact on the market as a whole

>Not defending Facebook
Yes you are you filthy apologist. The EU will wreck your disgusting NSA website, and dance on its remains.

Attached: 2ec.png (600x580, 572K)

just to clarify. i don't use any of those bullshit sites, but you can't use stuff like VK, Telegram and whatever goes for Instagram alternative these days due to human psychology and peer pressure. humans tend to gravitate to huge resource hubs and illusion of social interaction in this case is a resource. that's why facebook, whatsapp and instagram need to be broken up or severely gimped if we are to retain our ability to function as a civilization

>you can simply stop using it
that'd be an argument if shadow profiles didn't exist.

Really? You can't name an alternative to a News Feed, a messaging app, and a blog?

>you can simply stop using it,
But you can't stop other people using it and uploading photos of you onto it.

> Not defending Facebook, but how can you claim a company has this much power when you can simply stop using it, taking away part of its revenue

are you seriously this stupid ?

are you absolutely fucking retarded LOL
you can avoid all of that by not being a complete fucking pussy desperate for social acceptance
let me guess, you also smoke because it was cool at one point right?

the problem here is data being used even if you never ever used the service

Honestly, I wonder how they'll do it since Facebook is based in the USA, where EU laws don't apply. If they did try to do it, I'm pretty sure it would violate some treaty somewhere, which makes me think this is largely a political move or at the very least a move based in tech incompetence.

>Facebook is based in the USA, where EU laws don't apply.

Sure, but they operate in the EU and that is what matters.

Their operations in the EU are bound by EU rules it is that simple.

Facebook has server farms all over EU and EU headquarters in Ireland

If their base of operations is in the EU and they only operate in the EU sure. But Facebook is an American company that operates in the US, Canada, the EU, Mexico and pretty much the rest of the world. What gives the EU the jurisdiction to tell Facebook what to do in relation to breaking up their company (they can tell Facebook to not operate in their union, but fundamentally they can't break it up. Only the US gov't can do so since it's a US-based country in the first place).

By forbidding all their subsidiaries to operate under the same umbrella in the EU.

So Whatsapp, Messenger and Instagram would be forced to be incorporated separately and have separate legal presence.

>eu
>facebook
both are awful orwellian institutions.

They wouldn't even be able to operate in Europe if they weren't incorporated there too, or if they had zero legal presence there.

It's not just an USA website that happens to be accessed in the EU, they have data centers there, CDNs.

>and start using alternatives that provide equal, if not better content?

Easier said than done. Facebook's network is already tremendous. Metcalfe's Law.

>EU
>orwellian

I actually voted for those people who questioned zuckerfuck today, they're members of a voted parliament, you numpty.

You have some things confused.
Understand that in every large market FB operates in they have their own subsidiary there.
Those subsidiaries do have to obey the local laws or shut down/stop service.

And the end of the day, FB will accept being broken up in the EU because its better to be broken up and still make money then to lose out on an important market.

In the same way tech companies do whatever the Chinese gov wants because they want access to those billion plus consumers.

Attached: Oy+vey+it+s+the+second+shoah.jpg (491x571, 113K)

is this guy seriously trying to deny human nature?
>bloobloobloo don't be a pussy
I bet you'd jump off a bridge just to prove that you can win over human nature. Go on, do it. Don't be a pussy, faggot.

>News Feed
You shouldn't meddle in tech. Jow Forums in general shouldn't be talking about social media.

>human nature

Attached: 1519831065796.jpg (340x512, 29K)

I wish more companies would grow a pair and take the risk though. Like 20ish years ago when they antitrusted Microsoft for XP. The EU celebrated how "tough" they are and Microsoft just took it. Imagine how much they would have shit their pants if Microsoft had just gone, "Oh. Ok then. All european employees, don't report to work tommorrow, all european customers discontinue use of windows support ends immediately."

I don't even support these companies I just want to see one grow some balls and fuck with the EU right back.

Leftist company gets gobbled up by leftist government. What a shame.

Some companies are doing that because of the GDPR
They would rather refuse to serve EU customers then to comply with the GDPR.

>I wish more companies would grow a pair and take the risk though
and what's stopping the companies from doing the same thing in the US ?
At the end of the day, making some money is better than making no money.

Also MS in America can't tell MS in EU to break any laws/circumvent and rulings.

MS had this exact problem and it dragged out in the courts for a long time.
The US wanted information about a target, MS has the targets emails on the server in Ireland and some other information on a server in the US.
MS complied with the warrant and gave the government the information it had on the US servers
But could not comply and give them the emails , since the server was in Ireland EU laws applied.
MS couldn't order its EU employees to break the law and hand the emails over nor could it punish them for not breaking the law in the EU.
it dragged on for 4 years before the CLOUD act was passed as they entered the supreme court.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp._v._United_States

yeah but MS EU is a subsidiary of MS, Inc.

It would be funny to see the EU shit itself if they didn't tell them to break the law, but literally just said, "Ok. Everybody's fired. We're closing all Euro ops."

>but literally just said, "Ok. Everybody's fired. We're closing all Euro ops."
this would just lead to an independent euro arm of microsoft publishing copies of windows for the euro market that comply with euro laws not subject to united states of america laws but that would lead to competition
hold on that would lead to competition
yes, do this immediately microsoft!

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 28K)

Facebook isnt an european company how can they break it up

Leftists are so eager to appear virtuous, Zuck would break himself.

Ah I was wondering what would break first. Your company, or, your ideology.

They can easily move the little assets they have there to any number of places. Honestly I would love to see them do so without being ordered too and to black list the EU just to shove it to them. People are so damn addicted to fb that I doubt they'd just sit by and let the EU force their dealer out.

>this would just lead to an independent euro arm of microsoft publishing copies of windows for the euro market
Yeah, no. That would cause an international incident which could lead to an economic cold war between the US and EU.

>NSA: NOOOO OUR BACKDOORS

Uhh microsoft signs years long support contracts with governments, sweaty. They can't just get grumpy.

Nigga what?

God, your every post screams "american education" so loud, it's embarrassing.

ITT

>just close your eyes nigga, just don't read it

Then again what we've seen on Jow Forums for the last week or so is your rights should end where my shekels begin. I do not know why Jow Forums gets so violently stupid when governing bodies take actions that benefit the consumer.

>le ebin cold war in the name of muh favourite merchant corporation xD
Are you mentally challenged? If there is anything corps love more than fucking their consumer in the ass is to make money; and thats the most retarded way to lose money

Attached: Feelguy_BRNL06.jpg (971x565, 141K)

So break up all social media, since they follow this paradigm, right?

If I want to stop using whatsapp, I’ll have to convert all my friends to use an another messaging app

>when you can simply stop using it,
Shadow profiles you fucking imbecile. Tell that kike to not track people who don't use Facebook and then you can come here and do your pathetic damage control show.

Also good for the EU for standing strong against foreign companies mining the data of their citizen without consent.

Europe has a darker history of organisations collecting citizen data without their consent.

Microsoft would have no say in the matter, the US govt would consider it a matter of national interest.

>delete Whatsapp
>dont't have access to university group anymore
>can't get food at work
>people forget to ask you if you want to come to stuff because you're "that weird guy" that refuses to use whatsapp
>professor asks you why he can't text you
>everybody wo wants your number assumes you're batshit crazy when you tell him you don't use it for privacy and/or political reasons
Yeah, not an issue at all, I see

>Oh no people will think I'm weird

Fucking dumb brainlet faggot. Typical college cuck retard.

>muh peer pressure
You even have the massive facebook privacy scandal to work on you moron

It's not in the national interest to shut down business making money abroad. Companies have no honor nor ego. They care about the bottom line only. No matter how retarded regulator rules are companies will still follow them as long as they remain profitable.

I kinda get the vibe that you thought this was a very clever and sarcastic comment, but it is actually literally what should be done.

Are you fucking kidding me, we're talking groups of 200+ people here that are used to form study groups, coordinate room distribution and general chitchat to stay get in touch with people that might be useful. It's unlikely to pass computer science in university without people to learn and discuss with. Getting you 2 neckbeard friends and your mom to switch isn't an achievement you fucking faggots

>EU forces Facebook to convert every piece of data associated with you in their databases into 1 .person file.

>EU breaks up Facebook. Many new companies start appearing. Facebook forced to distribute the .person files all the new companies.

Is that what you want?

Attached: 769F7G8Mh7kuPjaSyP3s-orFtlfE051-kiX4-d0jXHs.png (760x549, 528K)

VKontakte

>It's unlikely to pass computer science in university without people to learn and discuss with.
Top brainlet.

reminder
>Examples of data not considered personal data
>anonymised data.

>I wish microsoft would be sued out of existence by every single human on Earth
This is why you are not ever going to be CEO because you are literally retarded and don't understand how world works.
What you are proposing isn't even legal by US dereliction.

You're retarded.
I go to college and I get pushed into Facebook constantly, which I do not want to use. I have to have it for the official Facebook group of the place I stay at for college, they didn't tell me that this was a requirement before signing up. Going on a trip with my college to the USA also required me to join a Facebook group in order to have the schedule of what we had to do. My point is, normies are so attached to it, they don't know nor want to use anything else. And if you deliberately don't have an account for it, you'll get forced to create one.

went to uni last year
people asked me if I had facebook? I said no. They asked me if I could get one, I said no.
Ain't that fucking hard.

That awkward moment when globalists forget that they have made it too easy for companies to pack their shit up and move capital all over the world to whatever place favors their business operations the most making it impossible to regulate their activities which are carried out on a decentralized global communication network.

In here it's LINE, kek.

That would be a social suicide.

I didn't say it was just "friends" or classmates asking if I had a Facebook account. Read again, the reasons why I had to create one were because they were a requirement, that I wasn't told that I would have to have before I signed up. To normies everyone just has a Facebook account, and they do not communicate certain things outside of Facebook.

same, they can't fucking force you create one.
You can lie, say that you were banned, anything.
Opting out is easy, you just wanted to create one.

Its based in Ireland my dude

parliament yeah but not commission, etc.

Yeah sure, then I get kicked out of the place I stay at, which will be annoying how much money I had wasted in it. Also wouldn't have visited any tech companies on the trip in the USA and probably get stabbed by one of those hobos that live on the streets. Genius.

you didnt vote for this guy tho.

Attached: Za5qTyv.jpg (2048x1536, 375K)

very democratic lol. if you want to argue otherwise you have to then concede that europeans are morons to voluntarily get this guy in charge.

Attached: .jpg (407x271, 21K)

it doesn't help that Facebook consumes things like Instagram. It is a specific photi/video sharing service but it was somewhat a competitor.

>he thinks MEPs have any power
Top zozzle m8, you havin a gig? The commission makes the laws and the MEPs get to wag their fingers and make noise if they don't like it, but they have sweet fuckall recourse to do anything about that which they disapprove of. We elect people to pretend to represent us.

In the context of giving Facebook a good bashing, I'm all for it, but I wouldn't for a second pretend that the EU is any kind of representative body because I like what they've done in this instance.

If the EU is an Orwellian state because they didn't vote for that guy, what does Trump getting elected mean then?
inb4 Republic not Democracy
Not mutually exclusive, and still doesn't answer the "not elected by the people = orwellian"

except the people did vote for trump.

Wasn't one of the big questions about what do they do with the information regarding non-users?

Vkontakt, Diaspora

m8 nobody likes the orange bloke, but some millions of the burgers did vote for 'im

Ol drunkard junkard got no votes because there is no vote for anyone on the commission. The burgers have a corrupt democratic republic an it is the envy of no one. We have an anti-democratic technocracy, which is the very image of what Orwell described.

Kek, in what kinda shithole are you in? Dont you have any inhouse alternatives offered?

Most commissions members never actually get elected tho. They're handpicked by higher ups because of their records and knowledge. It works like that in almost every country.

Ye m8, non-democratic governments are very popular in the world. It's just that you lot are still LARPing like the EU is some representative government, which it isn't. Nothin' against experts mind-ya, but when the group deciding who the experts are is a closed system there's a strong incentive for that to stop being experts and start being political power brokers in a hurry. Hence Orwell.

BREAK UP FACEBOOK AND GOOGLE

UNPLUG THEIR SERVERS

SMASH THEIR HDDs

Yes information is better if distributed you fucking retard

mind boggling that you adults think that a facebook profile is something vital to have, and you need the state to get involved to regulate it

anyone with decent standards wouldn't call that a democracy. murricans dont go around parading their system as a democracy when they at least get a vote on the govt head. meanwhile so many europeans seem to care more about appearances than the reality of their multinational potemkin village.

I see your point, but would you imagine a world where you'd have to vote for every single minister, secretary, chancellor, administrators, director and the member of each commission?
If you have a legal frame that keeps watch on the fuckery that might occur, I think elected politicians should be allowed to choose some of that.

This

t. Incel loner, I have friends to keep touch with

Popular vote was Hillary.
Although the actual people that vote for the president, the elects, which have made up their mind before the citizens even get to vote for them, wanted Trump in charge. The voting system in the USA is fucked up, and 100% not democratic, while portraying itself to look democratic.

Belgium. And no, no alternatives, this is just the state of how things are, it's have a Facebook or make your life annoyingly horrible because everyone else is a Facebook drone.

To get quite honest I would simply like to see the MEPs be full partners. If the commission is somehow needed to lead the unending admin chain, so be it, but representatives of the European people should be able to reject commission dictates rather than simply register their dismay.

more democratic than eu. and the us doesnt parade itself around as a democracy. meanwhile you get no vote on the commission in the eu which runs the show and they call themselves a democracy.

if they don't have the staff to comply with the regulations then they should fall to the regulations
if their business model fails when they hire more staff to fail with the regulations then they have to find a new business model

nobody has to work the same job for 20 years
maybe it's time to let it go

The larger point was that the EU is fully anti-democratic while the burger system is plausibly, albeit corrupt, representative in nature. If you wanted to transpose the EU system on the US it would be turning the civil service and top lobbying groups into the new Senate, making the Senate the only law-making body, allowing the Senate to elect the President, and giving the House the ability to talk about what the rest of the government was doing, but not actually allowing them to do anything about it.

As I said above, the burgers have a corrupt system that nobody envies, but the EU is vastly further along the spectrum of anti-representative governments. It wouldn't surprise me to learn the Ayatollah in Iran is more responsive to public pressure than the EU commission.

1. Governments in Europe are still country based. Most (if not all) are actual democratic in how they elect their governments.
2. The EU is first and foremost a trade union. Each country has by their citizens and government, which they elected, representatives for that trade union. The trade union can set up a "law" but there is no guarantee that the countries in the EU will adapt that, they can adhere by those laws, and even maybe adopt them in their own law books, but they have the right to just not do them for their own reasons, they can fight this ruling in the EU commission too. Or they can just ignore it altogether and pay fines or leave the EU.
Tl;dr: the EU's "government" doesn't work like the USA's federal government.

There are plenty of alternatives including "pick up the phone and actually talk to your friends".

Facebook's market power isn't the problem. It's shady business practices like whatsapp scanning your contact list or the tracking of users who don't even have a Facebook profile

>or leave the EU.
Mate we tried this, are you really going to tell me its that easy? What are we up to now? 2022 at the earliest? Don't be a nonce. The EU is vastly more powerful than you're making it out to be.

>1.
the eu can override everything, see: primacy of the eu.

>2. The EU is first and foremost a trade union.
started as that, but that changed rather quick with recent calls for an eu army, etc.

>The trade union can set up a "law" but there is no guarantee that the countries in the EU will adapt that
according to the eu rules they have to, sure they can skirt it but the direction the eu is moving that will become impossible to do.

Not that user but leaving the EU is easy, sign few papers and experience the systematic chaos in branches of government. Its just that you guys arent doing it

EU parliament consists of members of about 200 political parties, which are almost exclusively voted in based on their national policies in their home country.
It is a massive joke. Governing 27 member states with ~24 languages from a centralised parliament can not be democratic

The UK left because they were retarded. Google has even stats that show that the UK citizens googled what exactly the EU was AFTER they voted to leave the EU. The majority of politicians pushed to leave the EU to bring the UK into the real 1984 times. Look at the fact that after the Brexit was voted for, they also made it legal for ISPs to sell your web history without your consent to third parties EXCEPT if it's the history of a political person. Also the soon required porn passes. And even more to come. If you want to talk about orweillan institutions, talk about the UK first.

>just leave
>lel ur retarded
Fantastic job of proving the ease with which a nation leaves the EU lads, truly.

sounds good to me

>see: primacy of the eu.
If you join EU you don't have to adhere to this.

>why they shouldn't break up Facebook
It's not a European company. They can tell him he can't do business there, but they don't have the ability to break up his company.

EU doesnt have to work out the ginks in the "system" that left it. Thats purely your responsibility