Why do you still use botnet messaging services user? XMPP is

Why do you still use botnet messaging services user? XMPP is
>decentralized, can host your own server (as in email)
>uses double ratchet e2e encryption (signalfags can fuck off)
>fully documented
>free as in freedom
>free as in free beer
>clients for every major platform
>completely anonymous if you want it to be
>can connect with tor
>not a horrible electron/browser based js mess
>voip and video support (depends on the clients used)
All other messengers can retire, this is everything you need

Attached: serveimage(2).png (1200x1234, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.ejabberd.im/admin/configuration/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can I actually message people, or just "people" who use this messenger?

"people." there's a reason no one uses this.

But I do, user.

Attached: Screenshot_20180521-181114~01.png (1080x316, 58K)

The real issue with XMPP is that there is not a single usable client for IOS.
Chatsecure and Zom are dogshit, notifications do not work properly and they also miss some basic functions (e.g. gif images support).
I have been a long time XMPP fan and user but this shit is not really usable when half the people you know use fucking iphones.

I forgot to mention that servers are not that great either, Ejabberd for example, which is the most used one, lacks proper documentation.
I have been operating a server for quite some years but lately it is becoming more and more difficult to keep up to date and correctly provide all the required XEP.

>protocol is some overengineered mix n match xml garbage, it just reeks of design by comittee
>most clients are garbage and incompatible to each other regarding extended features, no matter the platform; some are actually electron garbage
>server software is fucked and
>public servers are dying and/or shitting their pants every time
>encryption plugins were a pain in the ass a couple of years ago when OTR was a thing, probably still are with the new standard
gee i wonder why nobody uses it

>ios
found your problem

fix your brainlet way of thinking like this:
>The real issue with iOS is that there is not a single usable client for XMPP

I'm not sure what problems you experienced, but it works just fine for me
>protocol is overengineered
Proper standardisation is better than people implementing it however they feel
>clients are garbage
Well, there's conversations for android and gajim for gnu/linux (and windows, I think). They look nice and are perfectly compatible because the standard is an actual standard and not a recommendation
>servers don't work
They do, I tested it myself just to see how hard it is. Turned out that it isn't. The server I currently use notifies a day before a restart is required to upgrade the server software, which takes about 3 minutes
>encryption plugins where shit years ago
We've omemo now, it just werks

IOS is shit, no discussion here, but still a lot of people use it.
Chatsecure decided to not use APNs for security reasons and that is fucking retarded since IOS is already not secure (closed source) and push notifications works like shit without it.
Regarding on who is at fault here the underling issue is that there is no support (or shit support) for a big chunk of users.

>proper
it's not proper standardisation & not every client implements even transmitting files correctly
good for you your mobileshit seems to (and again those are likely workarounds that at least mobile clients look consistent), but that fucking nothing
>my servers work
congrats, see if that's still the case in five years
I've burned through 5 public servers

Can't say anything about omemo, but I'm curious how easy it is to set it up on multiple clients

I am not the faggot you quoted but I'll answer for him.
I have been running an Ejabberd server for 7 or 8 years.
The software itself is not bad, the issue is that the official doc (docs.ejabberd.im/admin/configuration/) is not up to date, half the important shit is either missing or incomplete.
Anyway, servers are not an issue, it is a pain in the ass but still manageable if you read the official git regularly.
The real big fucking problem is that clients for IOS are fucking dogshit and if you live in any first world country you probably have half of you contacts using some sort of iphone.
The lack of a proper IOS client makes it impossible to use XMPP to communicate with normalfaggots.

Conversations (and also Chatsecure/Zom) OMEMO implementation are quite good, it is pretty much plug and play.

>The real big fucking problem is that clients for Android are fucking dogshit and if you live in any first world country you probably have half of you contacts using some sort of Android using the non-murican botnet equivalent of What'sApp.
ftfy

>being friends with apple users

>being friends with apple users
I never said I am user

This does not even make sense.

Spotted the pajet or the hikikomori faggot.
Wake the fuck up already, a lot of people use iphones and not having a decent IOS client means no one is going to use XMPP.

Attached: Screenshot_20180523-223052~2.png (1080x217, 50K)

>This does not even make sense.
except it does

tfw the Jow Forums conversations group died a long time ago
tfw favorite provider doesnt support omemo so have to use creep.im

What are you trying to achieve? Getting online friends for your epeen?

Your provider doesn't has to support omemo, it's a client thing. Your provider can enforce omemo if he wants, but most don't

No it does not, Conversations works fine on android.
My reasoning obviously works even the other way around, having an instant messaging application that only supports IOS would be equally pointless.

It does have to provide XEP-0163 for OMEMO to work correctly.

>Conversations works fine on android
In your phone to phone case, for basic crap. Friends of mine that used it had problems communicating with any other XMPP client ever, so it's likely the two mobile ebb devs keep their shuddyness consistent to keep face, because measured by normie standards, phone communication has the highest priority.

Jow Forums used to have an xmpp group chat on conversations, is that still alive?

Conversations not working for you or your friends has nothing to do with XMPP lacking a proper IOS client.
In general it works fine, proof of that are the 4.5 stars on the play store and the experience of thousands of users.

Nah, it died some months ago.

Do you think there's enough interest to make a new one?

>Nah, it died some months ago.
Is it because of the inactivity of the users or what else? It was a fun place.

because group chats with OMEMO was a pain i imagine, and there were 2 groups which was a mess

People stopped writing there, that is why it died.
Multi user chat OMEMO was also a huge pain in the ass since every participant was required to manually verify every single person in the chat by writing to them privately one by one.

If you guys are interested and someone provides a VPS and a domain I can help setting up our own XMPP server.

Signal user here, feels good desu.

Attached: lxFDD-4n.png (512x512, 24K)

Use matrix+riot it is future

Attached: vapor1524144588813.png (900x1600, 2.11M)

I'm waiting for an Jow Forums XMPP group

Why not just use one that's already available to the public? Also, I don't think you have to have to write to people personally just to set up omemo, do you?
Non-federated botnets can fuck off
Too bad there's like 1 client and it's based on electron. Also, the protocol is in control of a corporation that can change it as it please and break compatibility with everything

Then why don't we make another one?

xmpp:[email protected]?join
I just set one up

>botnet
Any proof ?

It's based in burgerland

>Why not just use one that's already available to the public? Also, I don't think you have to have to write to people personally just to set up omemo, do you?
Without verifying every single user the groupchat does not work.

>Non-federated botnets can fuck off
I don't like moxie but the app is not botnet, it is also owner by a non-profit foundation.

Imma join in in a minute.

Great proof

Can't send any messages

>no omemo

>hackerspace
lmao

I want to talk to my friends and don't bother to talk with a bunch of shitposting discord neets

?
Is there something bad about it or were you just having a lûl

Sounds useful if you have information you wish to hide from the government. 99% of conversations most people have are unimportant and thus I don't think they would ever move to something like this unless they want to hide something.

Do we have a single web-based client with omemo support yet? Normie friendly, so that I could convince my friends to drop Wire and move on.

Sorry, but no normie is going to use this shit. There's no benefit for them

But there is. Otherwise they won't be able to ask me dumb questions such as "my pc not work pls help". I already got all of my closer friends to use Wire instead of messenger.

It's not like I have anyone to talk to anyway

>Otherwise they won't be able to ask me dumb questions such as "my pc not work pls help"

Some "friends".

>They'll jump through a small hoop to get free tech support from someone desperate enough to give it for free to maintain the illusion that he has friends

beats lugging their desktop to bestbuy and paying $150 to run malwarebytes I suppose lmao

i agree with some of your points but you're very very wrong about the available daemons being fucked. prosody is very easy to set up and maintain. there's also openfire which has more corporatey features such as a web gui and ldap support.

Yeah, maybe I was exaggerating, the real issue are the clients.
Like I said I managed an XMPP server for 6 or 7 years and still do.

god, this made me feel bad for you guys
It was supposed to be a meme. In reality, I just use Wire with my actual friends (all 4 of them, if that makes you feel any better). I contact others via cellphone like it's 2005 again. They don't like it and started to contact me less and less, but whatever.

>some are actually electron garbage
there are several javascript clients that are supposed to be embedded on a website, but no full electron clients.
>public servers are dying and/or shitting their pants every time
can you name one or you're just pulling arguments out of your ass?

Sad dude. Maybe people would like you if you stopped sperging out about muh privacy and trying to shove it down everyones throat all the time. You've clearly been spending too much time on Jow Forums. Get real.

>Sad dude. Maybe people would like you if you stopped sperging out about muh privacy and trying to shove it down everyones throat all the time. You've clearly been spending too much time on Jow Forums. Get real.
You're not wrong, but "escaping the botnet" made me go outside and meet with people at least several times a week, whereas previosuly there were literal months where I wouldn't come outside. All I used to do was playing vidya and chewing xanax. Now I'm still autistic, still sad, but hey, it's an improvement.

> corporation that can change it as it please and break compatibility with everything

How is that any different from the complex shit show that is XMPP? 2 different clients struggle to talk to each other on any other medium other than plaintext.