How do you guys support these pieces of shit...

How do you guys support these pieces of shit, when it's confirmed that Lenovo ships out malware infected hardware made in China?

Attached: 1419224411042.jpg (1440x1920, 494K)

it's still better than malware infected hardware from muttland

you boot from a live USB and zero the hard drive (if present) with zeros, and then install Linux. Boom, none of the malware that Lenovo includes with Windows. It's worth noting that all the big OEMs include Windows malware, Lenovo is hardly exceptional in this. If wiping the OS isn't enough for you (say, you don't trust the firmware) you can either put Core/Libreboot on a thinkpad, or you can buy something from Purism.

If the NEETS on Jow Forums had money they would be on a macbook probably.

>I support this economically and politically corrupt superpower more than this other economically and politically corrupt superpower!
Apples vs apples.
I prefer Dell Latitudes myself. The nice ones with the completely modular components.

Doubt it, a quick look at Rossmann's videos and you can see that macbooks are one of the worst pieces of shit ever made with retarded points of failure.

A fully DIY-upgraded W530 is better than any macbook
>i7-3840QM still competitive with any current CPUs
>95% sRGB/aidsdobeRGB 1080p panel
>3 SSDs slots available

>expresscard slot gives:
>any desktop-class graphics card
>another SD card slot, or 2+ USB 3 ports
>HDMI-in

>32gb RAM
>tactile keyboard that doesn't get ruined by a single dust
>solid as fuck build quality
>3G modem built-in
>color calibrator built-in
>shitloads of accessories and spareparts available cheaply

Literally why buy anything else, Jow Forums?

>>Literally why buy anything else, Jow Forums?
Buy a 520 for the better keyboard

>it's confirmed that Lenovo ships out malware infected hardware made in China

Sauce on this?

>Lenovo
>made in China
No way

>He bought a nu-thinkpad

Attached: stickers.jpg (1068x712, 332K)

The real question is why all the support-- especially because of durability and keyboard quality-- when most Thinkpads are plastic junk and the keyboards (yes, even the "good" classic ones) feel like a cheap toy.

True.l

thermals are pretty bad on the w520 with the i7 quads...like really bad : forcing the fan to the failsafe speed with tpfan control, and running a single thread process will push the CPU to 80C +

Running anything on the GPU will also increase CPU temps so they mirror each other from the start. Things like solid works that can run a few things on a few threads while using the GPU will easily push the CPU into the mid 90s, Even with Turbo disabled, and a fresh repaste.

I like my w520, but the 530 is a better machine. Pic is at idle, fully down clocked, fan forced on at step 2/8 (around 2000rpm)

Attached: Piriform Speccy.png (809x620, 68K)

I am a T410 user of 4 years, running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Be aware of the faulty fan design you might have to replace it. Malware infected hardware, No idea what your talking about. Where did you read this?

Attached: t410.jpg (3036x4048, 1.78M)

How much did that set you back?

Heavy and inefficient for its size. You're better off getting a Panasonic Toughbook if you really wanted half that shit, the rest is outdone by modern laptops.

Or... you could buy the W530 because it's a superior machine in every way... and THEN just replace the keyboard with a W520 one.

Too thick and too heavy, especially for anybody who needs to carry more than just a laptop. You're better off having a powerful desktop and a small light laptop.

Just like people keep going on and on about the amazon shit that went away in 14.04, people seem to think that SuperFish is still a thing.

i was thinking on getting a t410 this summer.
>faulty fan design
shit

>amazon shit that went away in 14.04
iirc Canonical only disable the Amazon search in 16.04, and removed it in 17.10 when they ditched Unity for GNOME 3.

Is there any particular reason to get a T410 over a T420?

T410 has a 16:10 display and better FOSS BIOS support.

from what I've found on eBay, they tend to be cheaper. I don't have a lot of money, also I found more better quality ones than t420s.

only get pre-X230 era lappies, they are still at least reminiscent of IBM design yet with modern features, most certainly am not getting one with OS preinstalled and also flash libreboot which will work pre-nehalem.

good taste, but the battery life on W series laptops are absolutely abysmal which is a huge advantage for the macbook, and it's much heavier. macbooks pros also can use ngff m2 with nvme drives where the w530 is limited to SATA2 on the msata, or you'll need a 2.5" SATA3 ssd. also does having a dgpu ruin being able to run expresscard gpus on the native screen via bumblebee/optimus? it's a solid fucking laptop but doesn't hold a candle to modern macbooks and some dell/hp laptops. macbooks have shit build and are practically designed to be thrown away once it breaks but the engineering used to design them to reach design requirements is quite incredible. it is these absurd design requirements which make them shitty, but apple has made it clear what differentiates them from the competitors, sacrificing upgradability and adding some flimsiness in favor of portability, battery life, and performance.

I don't think the battery life is all that bad. Around 6 hours browsing the internet and light office work.

Roughly 3 Hours with a Blue Ray Rip reading from a platter drive in the ultra bay.

This is pretty much on par with my rMBP. Both laptops have their original batteries. Only one can actually play HD movies without the fan kicking on...and its not the pretty metal one.

And No : EGPU still works, just disable the internal quadro in the bios. Because the Express Card only runs 1 lane, you give up a lot of performance to have bi-directional traffic. Its about a 25% loss in performance to pipe back to the internal display.

fucking retard, superfish never affected thinkpads

hi Rakeesh

which year MBP do you have? also doesn't retina use way more power? it's that retarded 2880x1800 resolution, no?

6hrs makes sense, about the same as my w520. i'm very surprised by the poor battery life on the MBP though, i've heard that thing gets at least 7hr of browsing time.

also i used the EXP GDC beast a few times as well, just not with the workstation. texture compression is offered through both bumblebee and optimus. i think the m4700 > w530 for expansion, though the trackpad is tenuous; i believe it supports ec2, unlike w530, so you should be able to get 2x or even 4x PCIe 1.0. still, i don't think the workstation laptops are any match for modern macbook pros on the hardware side.

>implying burgers make anything
All computers are made of Chinese parts and most are assembled there too.

I'd get a ravenridge dell xps or a thinkpad if I had $$.

Dell XPS has official linux kernel firmware updater for the disk controllers/uefi/wifi ect which is very rare to have.
Plus HDPI screen.
Thinkpads on the other hand are easy to repair hardware wise so either would be good.
Maybe a AMD Elitebook but otherwise I hate HP laptops because the mobos always die from shitty thermals and solder quality.

Raven Ridge just got nice upstream so no fucking around with nvidia proprietary breaking on my rolling release kernel.
Would be a dream rig.

Macs are trash in firmware and hardware.

whatever the first year out is. Too lazy to go downstairs and grab it out of my bag. It has a lot of issues (it took an entire OS version update to even work with the external thunderbolt 3 display i got with it, it has NEVER worked with the magic trackpad and keyboard that i got with it...)
It thermal throttles just doing YT in firefox...Pretty laptop, Pretty OS, but its hot garbage. Its a work supplied system and used vary vary sparingly outside of the office.

I can get about 2-3 hours out of it if i use firefox. Maybe if i'm lucky 4-6 in safari.

The m4700 is an amazingly capable and solid machine. I like its design a lot more than the thinkpads. it retained a nice non island-ette keyboard. It feels like a premium device, but i admit the trackpad is bad, and the pointstick is terrible... At least it uses MXM gpu's so you can upgrade it maybe, and the dual heat sinks and dual fans is a nice thing to keep thermals in check, a weak point for the w520/w530. The m4800 was made by a different subvendor than the m4700 and had a lot of issues ( i had a 4800...it was fast, but i had hardware failures continuously)

>pozzing your firmware with trannysoft

Attached: fagpads.jpg (1269x663, 138K)

i thought so. early macbook pros were hot garbage; they've been getting better as of late but it's still practically planned obsolescence with ultra closed hardware with weird firmware on black boxed SoCs everywhere (ARM chips in the fucking power controller and fingerprint sensor), and practically impossible to repair without hot rework stations and would take longer to open than to replace the entire screen of a x220, yet charged at inane premiums. it's just sad that there's not that many decent competitors; they typically also follow the footsteps of apple rather than finding more innovative solutions. if only ryzen could actually be baked into respectable laptops business laptops.

heavily considering purchasing the m4700 again but i really can't see using mobile workstations as anything more than a toy desu, it's why i sold my m4700, despite it being such a nice machine, especially since most engineering jobs i know provide citrix, defeating the purpose of using the quadro dgpu. have you used any of the 17.3" offerings like m6000 series?

i have not. I'm a pretty tiny person and once you step up to 17" workstations you are carrying around 3kg notebooks with 1kg chargers and its just silly. I cant reasonably open a 17" laptop on a plane, or set them on a desk in a library or coffee shop.

Id assume that they basically pack the same CPU, and just include a larger MXMB card that can draw more power. Useful if you need to do catia or solidworks simulations in real time, but I cannot see a practical use for them in other aspects that are purely CPU constrained.

Right now my mobile workstations are mostly toys : i can play games on them when on travel, or on vacation, or whatever. I no longer do anything "mechanical" so no use for CAD. I have not owned a desktop newer than a AMD k-6...ive been solid laptop since maybe the early 2000s.

>Lenovo

You really don't brose /tpg/ huh? We recommend IBM thinkpads. Not Lenovo.

> GOY BUY A BRAND NEW SYSTEM76 INSTEAD AND ONLY USE GNOME BASED POP_OS

Attached: (((Lunduke))).png (361x400, 18K)

What FOSS BIOS do they support that the T420 cannot?