Why do command line interfaces scare normies so much?

Why do command line interfaces scare normies so much?

Attached: Linux_command-line._Bash._GNOME_Terminal._screenshot.png (1024x768, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because they take a long time to learn to use effectively. I remember first time I was using shell was typing stupid stuff like cout because I didnt know anything.

OMG R U A HAX0R???

I have no clue. I was telling one of my coworkers how you use the terminal to install a lot of shit on terminal and his literal response was "that's dangerous"
Like as long as you're not fucking retarded you're not going to fuck up your system

because they are fucking stupid faggot useless piece of shit fils de pute

Attached: 1293412080387_mac_vs_pc-s580x418-117105-580.jpg (580x418, 61K)

french spotted

Attached: 1499172865345.jpg (2400x2400, 966K)

>black engineer
wew

>black woman engineer
wew laddie

they made some study where tech illiterate old people were introduced to loonix cli and windows clicky-clicky shitfuck UI.

the oldtimers generally preferred cli, and I kind of agree. it's a pretty straightforward UI. (you tell it what to do, it reports to you what went wrong/right)

compare that to magicalsoft winblows 10, you feel like a toddler everytime some blue animated bubble tells you to "please wait while I do important stuff that you do not need to worry about".
people dont like feeling talked down to.

the main reason linux hasnt reached mass desktop market penetration is because a lot of shit simply doesnt work, or works very wonkily, with loads of handholding and googling involved

>Why do command line interfaces scare normies so much?
Because it doesn't support self-describing.

Sauce?

Attached: linux.jpg (1152x768, 99K)

Pretty much this. You literally cannot use it without some kind of manual to start off with. Also the screen is black.

tech illiterate old people are afraid of breaking things
so good job talking out of your ass as usual

The weak should fear the strong.

was a long time ago, i cant find it. but i dont even find the result particularly surprising at any rate

some CLIs are way better documented and intuitive than some GUIs. stop generalizing.

>mash keys
>fuck off
>mash more keys
>fuck off
>help
>it helps you
waow. meanwhile people have panic attacks when some irrelevant element has changed colour or dimensions from previous versions.

Because you have to be slow, attentive, pay attention to detail, and know what you're doing.

That's it. You can't make shit up as you go or just try stuff until it work, you actually have to LOOK UP commands and READ how they work ugh effort.

Pretty sure the artist is a lib. They're using a stand up desk.

>self-describing
>can't be bother to learn or work outside my comfort zone.

pretty sure normans can't be scared because they probably don't even know what a CLI is.

You don't need to read anything to use a gui and nigger cattle hate reading

Waste of time. Give me two buttons: one that does what I want (the computer should figure this out), and one that fucks off and gets out of my way. I don't want to have to write a magic spell every time I need to see those reports or delete some evidence.

>main reason linux hasnt reached mass desktop market penetration
The main reason is that Windows comes pre-installed on most normalfags' crappy pre-built PCs. Most people can't install an OS, any OS, nor are they often inclined to learn doing so when their PC already has one.

I'm familiar with that story. I think it primarily comes down the proliferation of graphic applications. Mice basically proliferated with games and production softwares that called for an additional manipulation device.

They prefer minimal effort to efficiency.

95% of normies' brains shut off if you put them in front of anything more complicated to use than an iPad. No, seriously. 95%.

nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/

Too many details makes their noggin hurt. You can see this with most management types who want nice flashy charts/graphs.

Underrated post.

shells are dynamically typed, which is fucking stupid
flags are also very indecipherable
also commands are names of programs that aren't necessarily related in any way to their functions. ideally, commands would just be functions whose type signatures would serve as their names

now, the core idea of building scripts to make small programs interact with each other to solve problems instead of having every program provide eighty bajillion features but not the one you want is really neat, but shells as they currently are suck

Ah yeah I remember one time I robbed a bank by pulling out my hacker samsung galaxy(tm) s9 edge(r) and literally every single teller just glazed over and basically rebooted (like a computer) XDDDD
I just pulled out the cash and ran XDDD

It's not the command line that annoys me it's the bloody waste of time with Linux. When you install Win everything works out of the box, you can start working on your project immediately, but with Linux, every little shit that can cause problems, causes it 100% of the times. So instead of working on my project i have to fuck around with xorg server for a day to figure out why is my pc overheating cause the coolers don't work, and in the end shit still doesn't work.

That clearly isn't an issue for kids with a lot of spare time on their hands, but when you have deadlines, fucking around with help sections for hours is not something you can afford.

I don't have a single issue with command line in general, i use it daily. In fact, there are many things that I'd have problem locating in gui, that i run with command line on a daily basics, but Linux and it's "fragility" is what pisses me off.

Attached: 1111.jpg (610x340, 29K)

>White neanderthal cis-male and a progressive eye rolling black woman engineer.

wawaweewa lad

Because normies are literally retarded. The command line is the best option for things like running a package manager to update and install software, or for running ncurses applications. I remember using Mac OS 9 for the first time around 2001 and thinking it was useless shit because there wasn't a shell. Windows has a command shell, so did OS/2 Warp, so did BSD and every System V distro. But not Macshit faggot toys.

>running ncurses applications
But terminal is literally the only option for ncurses which is just a shitty gui anyway. You might as well be using a gui

As well as these (which are relevant both to power users and normies, albeit considered by normies differently), there's a psychology problem; CLIs are considered a "power user" thing, and normies don't want to use that because they're under the mistaken presumption that you can only be skilled at so many things.

Yeah, it's rarely worth installing linux on laptops that weren't designed for it. Proper *nix on a laptop involves either a) getting a macbook, b) getting a system76 or similar, or c) using a VM.

Jow Forums gives incredibly bad advice in this regard; all the kids with spare time desperately want the "year of the linux desktop", so they shill desktop linux as if compatibility problems aren't a thing. This leads to people like you having the "foreign OS" experience and getting the wrong idea about linux. Try ubuntu in virtualbox, you won't have to tinker with compatibility at all. You don't even have to waste your battery on a graphical VM, you can install a headless one and SSH in.

Any sort of text console is a GUI anyways, might as well unplug the monitor and memorize the commands, you fucking retard.

>a text interface is better than Google for listing hundreds of millions of pieces of software

I have had no issues whatsoever with Linux on my thinkpads, however other laptops have given me grief in the past.

>it works on my machine
classic

there are no laptops that were "designed" for linux, certainly not macbooks. even the system76 machines are just rebranded clevos like sager or xoticpc.

fear of the unknown
just how everyone is scared of trying the gay (bi)

Attached: gay.jpg (410x416, 48K)

Because despite what literacy numbers say, the majority of the population of any developed country cannot read

this

It doesn't take long to learn the basics. You could probably do most things with 10 commands.

Same reason most use windows
Ease of use
GUI is just easier, but less powerful

lol offended much? a ncurses addict perhaps? don't you think it's time to give up on those pseudo-GUIs?

shutdown /s

>The main reason is that Windows comes pre-installed on most normalfags' crappy pre-built PCs
Bullshit, you have countries where Linux comes preinstalled on a lot of computers, and they still choose a hacked version of Windows any day of the week.

sudo shutdown -0
super easy

Yeah
That keeps me lonely

Just press the power button.

I have had many experiences with Linux where some random thing stops working and I need to spend the next hour looking through old forum posts to find a solution.

Its kinda bullshit.

no
I wanna feels like a h@x0r

so you're rpm faggot, yo

The actual question is, why do wannabe hackers fear GUIs so much? It's because they're difficult to make, so they try to convince everybody that a command line is better. Fact: command line interfaces exist only because they're easy to make, not easy to use. An ideal user interface has graphical elements as well as a console.

As opposed to windows where you need to reinstall windows whenever you get a problem? Linux is really easy to debug compared to windows.

>a package manager is for listing hundreds of millions of software
you've never touched Linux in your life have you, you don't know what you're saying

That's the point. Linux only has 4 pieces of useful software so a package manager works for it.

hahahahahahaha you sure got me there buddy hmm yes you've got me convinced
installing Windows 10 as we speak !
stop trying to pretend you know what a fucking package manager is and read the two first lines of the Wikipedia page if your attention span allows it

Attached: 1527093750955-g.png (820x729, 106K)

Yeah I ran across that a couple times too. When something in Linux doesn't work and you need to use the CLI, finding a clear answer on what to type is like finding a needle in a haystack. Digging through a jumbled mass of instructions, man pages, forum posts...after a couple dozen attempts and only getting error messages I give up.

Couldn't say what Linux OS it was, but after the install there was no GUI because it didn't have basic drivers for the video card. Couldn't load the XFree86 drivers or whatever because no command I tried to load them would work. Into the trash it goes!

Not saying Windows is any better. Try to use powershell to get a file checksum and the Get-FileHash command just won't work, and that's with looking right at the instructions on Microsoft's page. Who knows why? Download a simple MD5 SHA-1 program with a GUI and it works first time. I'll use netstat, tracert, and ipconfig but more complex stuff always seems to be a crapshoot.

>who knows why
because you're a retarded boomer that's why, proof is you couldn't work with a cli on neither wangblows nor the Linux "OS" you were using

I used dos as a 6 year old.

>retarded boomer
>wangblows

I expected a snarky answer and got one. Thanks for delivering. Mind explaining your hostile response? Try to be more descriptive than "retarded boomer" please (protip I'm not a boomer).

My off-the-cuff guess is that becoming proficient in some of the more "difficult" aspects of computing gives you a feeling of superiority. You have knowledge others do not. Any viewpoints that are perceived to attack the usefulness of that knowledge are reacted to with hostility.

This is true for most cases but command line is still very useful for scripting also having GUI for each individual program would be kinda stupid

you're retarded because you have nothing but basic knowledge of the machines and software you use 80% of your waking hours, you're a boomer because you call them OS's and not distros
if thousands can use LFS without problem over and over again and build a system from scratch from the command line as well as operate all those "difficult" tasks you can't with a cli daily then the interface isn't the problem, you are
It takes a week at most to complete an LFS build, and at the end you're familiar with every single aspect of your system, if you don't wanna take the time once and prefer to stay ignorant forever clicking shiny buttons and bubbles when a task is better accomplished with a cli, don't blame anyone but yourself because that's typical boomer attitude

ill hax ur anus

>only script kiddies use terminals hurr durr
I use whatever I feel is easiest and gets me what I want
Updating > command line
Document writing > command line (vim/kakoune)
Window management > gui
Shilling on obsolete korean tech boards > gui

nobody wants fucking retarted millennial shits like you here
>>/reddit/

Linux actually runs on everything

>Why isn't everyone a hobbyist

Same reason most people don't change their own oil dipshit, fot 99% of the population they're just tools and toys, they don't need to know the finer details of what's going on beneath

Attached: 1526591722561.jpg (500x647, 117K)

With a GUI all your options are laid out in front of you or behind a few menus, a normal user can figure it out by himself by just reading what the buttons say, in a CLI there are no visible options and typing help produces a massive wall of text they must now decipher, which is obviously rather off-putting for the guy who just wants to copy his files to another folder

Nearly every command can describe itself with either -h or a man page entry

because you shouldn't have to learn technical skills if you just want to do your taxes or draw a picture or talk to mom

nah
all the options are right there in front of your eyes in a GUI. CLI is a black void following your username. You don't even have the option for trial and error.

>nerd@faggot:~$

That the same manpages which look up commands also look up C standard library shit indicates maybe the general user shouldn't be using it.

they feel like they are not in control

having a mouse is empowering

Hollywood

>they're under the mistaken presumption that you can only be skilled at so many things
But that's true. Mental capacity is limited, as is time.

Last time i had to reinstall windows was ~3 years ago and i was running win 8. Ever since they released win 10 - no major issues. Besides win now has a refresh function where it reinstall only system files which makes the sysrestore pretty much obsolete. You literally cannot fuck up with windows anymore.

This is not to say that linux doesn't have advantages over windows but to present windows as it is still that broken xp thing is absolutely incorrect.

Windows has come a long way and in fact the only real and relevant issue with windows is related to the privacy concerns. Other than that people don't have any problems with windows anymore. It auto-installs and auto-updates everything you need, it runs everything you throw at, and if you break something you simply reinstall program and it works again. In linux once you break something you can spend days if not weeks error hunting.

People spend time and money on automation - windows comes fully automated out of box, and people then complain that it is automated. Paradox*

To say that people use windows because they're dumber than neckbeards is really ridiculous.

People have lives and families and they would rather spend their time on things that matter than wasting time on linux just to prove a point on some user board.

You're presenting it like the linux installation isn't bunch of "next"s.

I don't think that there is a single person here who can't install linux, if you can find this board, you can install an os. But it's not an issue of installing an os, it's what you do afterwards.

Windows "problems" end with installation whereas the linux ones only start.

Not to mention the billion dollar industry that linux simply doesn't support - gaming. If you want people to make the transition you have to give them an equal alternative, but not giving them alternative and then blaming them "cause stupid" is idiotic.

This.

People are dumb fucks. It's as simple as that.

It's not just "normies" either. I worked with plenty of Windows sysadmins that were freaked the fuck out by having to use CLI on a Linux box (or a Windows one for that matter). Brainlets love GUIs.

>black women engineer knows things and wasn't just a diversity hire

Do you work at Wikipedia? That 0ms ping is preddy gud. Also,
>Green on black theme
Are you trying to get normies to call the police or something? White on black with a blue PS1 is the only god tier shell theme.

Lies.

This. Even Linus himself acknowledged it.

But that's literally the case.

It's not, there was a country that I don't recall that government willingly dropped Ubuntu for Windows due how user friendly and how better it was to manage. Also, there are a lot of Ubuntu machines on third world countries, mainly laptops, but they still choose to take them to repair shop to install Windows.

It was Munich, but looks like Brazil did the same.

You have never used Linux.

Not him but since I installed Ubuntu on a shitty Pentium D machine I only had troubles. Via drivers being outright broken, CPU at 100% all times, tearing and for some reason the audio was crackling. It's almost fixed now, but I still can't solve the tearing bullshit.

>Master Foo Discourses on the Graphical User Interface

>One evening, Master Foo and Nubi attended a gathering of programmers who had met to learn from each other. One of the programmers asked Nubi to what school he and his master belonged. Upon being told they were followers of the Great Way of Unix, the programmer grew scornful.
>“The command-line tools of Unix are crude and backward,” he scoffed. “Modern, properly designed operating systems do everything through a graphical user interface.”
>Master Foo said nothing, but pointed at the moon. A nearby dog began to bark at the master's hand.
>“I don't understand you!” said the programmer.
>Master Foo remained silent, and pointed at an image of the Buddha. Then he pointed at a window.
>“What are you trying to tell me?” asked the programmer.
>Master Foo pointed at the programmer's head. Then he pointed at a rock.
>“Why can't you make yourself clear?” demanded the programmer.
>Master Foo frowned thoughtfully, tapped the programmer twice on the nose, and dropped him in a nearby trashcan.
>As the programmer was attempting to extricate himself from the garbage, the dog wandered over and piddled on him.
>At that moment, the programmer achieved enlightenment.

You have never had a girlfriend.

Is there an actual meaning in that story? Or do I need to sit in a trashcan for a while to get it?

There is a meaning.
If a trashcan will help you to understand, why not?

Because there's no benefit for the user. Rather, it's an excuse for programmers to be lazy and skip on a good GUI.

It's a clear GUI analogy, double clicking and using the mouse in general. Bullshit tho

What this user said
My gf didn't even know installing another operating system was an option

>Linux on my thinkpads

Yeah, because Thinkpads are certified for Linux, you usually can't take some random Acer or Toshiba and have Linux work well on it.