Vim vs emacs

vim vs emacs

Attached: cartoon284-750x280.png (750x280, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/nifl/1178878
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

notepad

50 Bucks on emacs
Will the fight be aired live ?

Visual Studio Code

Emacs is a decent operating system, the problem is that it lacks a functional text editor.

If Emacs lacks a functional text editor, then Vim isn't even a text editor. Vim can't even edit the output of ls, text editor my ass.

>vim
>esc i
>wd
>:i
>:quit

>emacs
>C-n
>C-p
>M-x
>just werks

Quork!

Attached: 1391896127155.gif (260x195, 516K)

Attached: emacs-is-gay.png (488x1754, 218K)

Emacs is bloated as fuck.

Vi is optimal (minimal & efficient)

nano master race

Attached: lain.gif (429x650, 96K)

>bloated
meaningless meme
>these bits on my hard drive are taking too much space

notepad2 or notepad++

this
nano comrade reporting in

Emacs makes more sense overall and is much, much more capable as a full fledged editor
Vi is fine if you want nano++

why not just use arrow keys and ctrl+f/c/v/x like a normal person; you spend more time reading code than writing it, anyway

:r !ls
RTFM

>esc
>not using ctl-[

Attached: 2018-05-23-203752_562x245_scrot.png (562x245, 10K)

>ctrl-[
>not remapping caps lock to esc

but i use capslock sometimes

>but i use capslock sometimes
>>>tumblr

i use it for taking notes. pls dont bully

I use emacs and I mostly end up using C-a/e/n/p/space M-f/b keys more than anything else, which are basically just line/cursor movement and highlights.

>uses capslock

you wot

>I hold shift like an ape when I need to write out #define keywords or constant names

(capslock, word, capslock) is better than holding shift while typing all the characters, especially when you have multiple words to type in all caps.

quork

fine, I guess. But is the occasional Caps Lock, more value than having a better Esc button? Worst case, you should have mapped it to jj or jk

The equivalents in vim are 0/$/j/k/v w/W without any modifiers. I think you'd like vim better.

Literally yes, it is, why the hell don't you have an esc key?

None of those are ergonomically sound and are shift modifier sensitive, that sounds like a fucking nightmare
I can reach every single key combo I listed with a single hand, never stretching anything, in a natural claw grip
I mean fucks sake man 0 and $ are so far apart on the keyboard I hit them with different hands

why not just use the already bound ctl-[? its fine for me and doesn't require moving from the homerow.

It's not the point of having an Esc key, I do have one. But I don't wanna be bothered reaching for it every damn time I have to switch modes.

Ah that's just me, I'm not good with pinkies.

>None of those are ergonomically sound and are shift modifier sensitive, that sounds like a fucking nightmare
Then remap the keys???
>I can reach every single key combo I listed with a single hand, never stretching anything, in a natural claw grip
Lol emacs pinky. Also, what kind of idiot presses n and p with their left hand?

vscode.

Don't use vim or rebind it to, idk, ctrl or alt or something.

Alright I can hit all of them *except* n/p, mr semantics.
I have incredibly small hands and the only movement I have to make with my left hand using emacs is to use M-* keys, and thats just so my thumb can hit alt instead of ctrl.
I think it just comes down to "Do you want to memorize every specific key character, both upper and lower case, for specific modes to achieve specific tasks" or "Do you want to memorize this long chain of keystrokes with a base modifier key"
Personally I find things like C-x h easier to remember to highlight an entire document rather than : % y + ! @ esc ! @: : #() ( or whatever the fuck vim uses

Although I'm a vim fag, do you listen to the argument you're making?

>remap keys
>emacs pinky
as far as I know most emacs users swap ctrl with Caps

>ctrl
>muh RSI

and alt is kinda the mod for all the apps, so I don't really wanna touch it. caps just werks

>muh RSI
literally what
Also fair on alt, I had to rebind dwm to use the super key because I kept causing things to launch on accident when using emacs.
Does using ctrl hurt your hands or something? Are you an ogre?

You wouldn't have to make movements if you used vim because you wouldn't need modifiers. Highlighting the whole document is ggvG, or if you're smart enough to use custom text objects, vae. You're pulling arcane key combinations out of your ass, and the amount of memorization is the same.

You can't remap to avoid emacs pinky because it's not a modal editor. Requiring modifiers for basic movements is the issue, moving it to caps lock only makes it slightly better. The argument of remapping distant keys without modifiers still stands.

>you wouldn't need modifiers
You literally just told me the base alternatives to my most used key combos in vim are 0, $, (shift modifier, two hands is most comfortable) (Also already switching hands just to move to the front/end of a line), and w/W (again, shift modifier)
There's modifiers all over the place
And then I have to learn all the keys and modifiers to do shit like save, open documents, switch modes, etc etc etc
At least emacs is consistent with all the most common, frequent key combos being some form of C-x

Somebody please tell me what this emacs pinky shit is, I've used it almost exclusively for 5 years and have never had discomfort in my hands from using C-* bindings

Remap the fucking keys? It's like your working memory is limited to the contents of one post. You can make vim as "consistent" as you want; clearly your definition of consistent is "it's like emacs". You can make vim modifier-less if that really floats your boat.

>And then I have to learn all the keys
You had to do that for emacs too. Too brainlet to keep more than one set of keybindings in your head?

I wouldn't say it's discomfort for me, it's just annoying. Ctrl wouldn't rank in my top 10 favorite key locations. Some people do get RSI though so YMMV.

Ehh, honestly it's just that my Pinky isn't that strong, so it's like an exercise for me whenever I have to ctrl

>vim
>ZZ

was that so fucking hard

>I mostly use these
>You'd like vim, that'd just be
>Those sound fucking horrible
>Well just REBIND THEM!
Then why the fuck bother switching to vim at all if I'm going to have to rebind and reconfigure and relearn everything?

Emacs is incredibly consistent in its defaults, and no more obtuse in the length of its command chains than vim. At least I always know that hitting C-* or M-* is going to start a command, rather than having to switch between 6 modes and memorize % ^ * (@ ) v W w W k ( $ is how to mass indent a file.
Ultimately you're just arguing for keybindings with obscured modifier keys. C-x is no more fundamentally different from SHIFT-5, but the difference is emacs layers all the other commands behinds these C-* bindings, instead of "This one is SHIFT-5 and this one is w and this one is SHIFT-w and this one is SHIFT-7 and this one is just 7" which is goddamn madness to me

Do you try to stick with anything remotely resembling homerow by chance?

I use Caps and jj. I haven't mapped Caps on this system yet, but yeah

There's like 2 modes, dipshit. At least try to do some research before looking like an idiot. The point of switching is so you don't have to hold down keys and do chords all the time, it just seems unpleasant if all you want to do is navigate a text file. Regarding your so called consistency, normal mode is commands and insert mode is text input. Is that really so hard for your little emacs brain to understand? P.S. mass indenting a file is gg=G or =ae. Notice how it's the same as highlighting the entire file except you swap v for =? Yeah, that's what actual consistency is.

>he thinks hjkl isn't homerow

>hold down keys
After the first keystroke on a mod you don't have to hold it down any longer. You do some research too butterbutt.

>gg=G or =ae
Neither of those are consistent in structure. Is = the command? Is gg doing something? Where the fuck did ae come from?
Emacs is C-x (standard "general command") h
C-x h
Not C-x-h
Not C-x C-h, like you seem to think
Just C-x (release) h
Why h?
Who the fuck knows
Why gg? Why gg=? Why =ae?
At least emacs is *consistent* with its command keybinds, even if its ultimately just as arbitrary.

Do you honestly use hjkl?

According to Unix Philosophy
"do one thing well"

Vi(m) is simple so clearly the best choice.
Emacs is too bloated.

Spacemacs.

whatever you can use to get your job done most efficiently

fpbp

i literally can't even comprehend how to compile C on vim or emacs

i already have mingw too

Attached: 1506487649455.png (645x729, 50K)

NANO

Attached: 1523489009469.gif (600x600, 1.96M)

The modifier is being in the correct mode........ There are 3 modes in vim. There is one mode on emacs.

People making excuses for why they're brainless.

the true patrician's choice

>Vim
>Ahhdjd8aisjdjfhshshfhsjxugiwisjcja
Was that so fucking hard?

unironically atom

pls no bully

Attached: 1526628859054.png (355x300, 152K)

See, Vim users are so cute in their ignorance.

Attached: editing-text2.webm (1905x998, 151K)

Nano bitch.

>mapped to jk
This is the comfiest answer.

I use google docs :)

MSpaint

Attached: 4dthonk.png (500x590, 34K)

This. Also if I used capslock instead I'd probably still press that with my pinky so I'm not sure what difference that makes.

>doesn't require moving from the homerow.
does for me

Sometimes I end up using M-x instead of the key bindings.

For anything other than navigation then that's what its for. Remembering kbindings for every little command would just be ridiculous. I just remember some basics for the modes that I use

gg - motion - go to first line of buffer
= - operator - start auto-indent
G - motion - go to last line of buffer

gg goes to top, = combined with G starts auto-indent and auto-indents everything up until the end of the file. You can combine any other motions or operations in the exact same manner. If you think that's inconsistent there's something wrong with you.

Neither.
I use nano

At this point you're basically ignoring instructions. You're in no position to argue about differences between vim and and emacs if you don't know the command + motion paradigm of vim.
I don't know the first thing about emacs, but I also don't purport to know what makes either better than the other.

nano

>he doesn't use Atom

Attached: soyjak.png (800x750, 106K)

it's fine if you don't understand vim but don't come into a thread and argue about it if you're this uninformed

the way vim motion+action commands work is THE ENTIRE REASON it's such a famous and popular editor
here, if you're actually interested in knowing how it works:
gist.github.com/nifl/1178878

both are shit, but emacs is better under the hood
vim is how-not-to-develop-software-the-real-life-soap
fpbp

>what is vidir
vipe is neat too

Check moreutils for these. They are not bounded to any editor too, so you can use them with any editor, just set your EDITOR env variable.

>bloated as fuck
It still starts instantly and doesn't lag, unlike any electron based crap or VIM with sufficient user scripts

VSCode because I'm not a neckbeard.

see

You fuckers have been at it for over 30 years.

Ignoring the obvious fact that you didn't even try to Google for a solution

>Hmm, I'm making this revolutionary software, I'm gonna start writing some code... But I need to edit the output of ls in my file... Why doesn't vim do this, everyone fucking needs this feature why isn't it here?

Emacs is bloated shit

You know what you sound like

You sound like that autistic fuck in my class who will start shouting and screaming and running around after he gets btfo

Is that you Dave?

Bloat is not simply about hard disk space.
Having a big house does not mean you can simply start buying useless shit and tossing stuff everywhere

Emacs only makes sense if you have a space cadet and you're writing lisp

That means you are a pleb.

vim only make sense if you're a soi cuck with a tiny weiner

sublime text

Attached: 1526581193831.png (1719x1546, 2.28M)

Try not typing your tumblr-tier rants then.

He's right you know