Do you study any Jow Forums textbooks in your free time? Do you do the exercises...

Do you study any Jow Forums textbooks in your free time? Do you do the exercises? What book are you reading/studying right now?

Attached: 1462408861719.jpg (900x2134, 438K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/NTyacT2p
wiki.c2.com/?OperatingSystemsDesign
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This book is a god tier.

Attached: 81etujn4y0L.jpg (2042x2560, 262K)

I ilked Land of Lisp a lot.
Probably I will never use Lisp, lol.

I worked through How to Design Programs in its entirety and regret every minute of it. Same with the 1/3 of SICP that I worked through.

I could have gotten way more out of reading a Pajeet python book and going to hackathons

currently I'm reading c++ primer in hopes of stopping being a brainlet codemonkey and abandoning webshit

same

Im working through K&R at the moment. Its a phenomenal book, its exactly what I wanted from a programming book and I feel like Ive learned so much. I just bought Automate the Boring Stuff With Python today, hoping to read through it after im done with K&R.

Anyone who never programmed and want to start should do sicp. Not even the full book, the first 3 hours are enough I think. Also before starting my first year CS I studied K&R Ansi C and it gave me q good advantage when the year started (1rst year is only C).

from pic I've read SICP, Intro to Algorithms, The Art of UNIX Programming, C k&r, Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!

also
Operating System Concepts 9th ed. by Silverschatz, Galvin, Gagne
"Modern" Operating Systems 4th ed. by Tanenbaum
as OpenBSD fan - Absolute OpenBSD and Relayd&httpd by M.W. Lucas, planning to read The Book of PF once I get some static IP address
and big list of wasted time on bad books

Going to read: (how the fuck am I going to read all of this)
C Progrmming: A Modern Approach 2nd ed. by K.N.King just to see how it compares to k&r
Test Driven Development for Embedded C by J. W. Grenning
Exceptional C++ or similar books on C++ scene shitshow
Erlang and OTP in Action
some Lisp books, not sure if Land Of Lisp is the right one, I'm more interested in the language internals, was thinking Anatomy of LISP by John Allen
that successor of SICP- How to Design Programs
compilers books, hell I'm so going to make serious compiler this year, will probably start with the dragon book
full Unix Haters Handbook, not just snippets
The Mythical Man-Month
Plan 9 books - Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs, the nemo book, Providing Asynchronous File I/O for the Plan 9 Operating System and some other papers
JS the good parts
and neverending list of articles, guides, books and courses with about 1000 entries, fuck me

skeptical about and want to know others opinion:
The Pragmatic Programmer, The Tao of Programming, The Cathedral & The Bazaar - sounds like non-technical books, are some of them worth it?

currently reading:
Real World OCaml

Attached: htdp-2e-cover.gif (419x500, 96K)

does reading textbooks really help? how would my colleges c++ text book fall into this category?

does it cover C++11 and newer language features?
does it explain inheritance caveats well?
can't really say without reading it first

Probably not the only c++ books that really matter are the effective c++ books and even those are stupid waste of time unless you're professional c++ dev

>and neverending list of articles, guides, books and courses with about 1000 entries
Do tell..

Just look through reddit and wiki's for stuff that interest you its easy to find all sorts free resources on blogs and sites like that.

$ cat links.md | wc -l

some of it might turn to be bullshit, some are other compilation of resources
I really hope this doesn't contain my personal info
pastebin.com/NTyacT2p
few books and papers not listed because I have them downloaded locally but most of it was already told

also categories dimmed by time so don't nitpick on that, I need better way to manage this

looks interesting

Much obliged user.

>All of these old-ass books from decades ago

Why would I want to read about how some old boomer used to do things? I can't look a computer in the eye and give it a firm handshake and have it do what I want it to do

algorithms didn't change, only opportunities to use them did

>Do you study any Jow Forums textbooks in your free time?
I read all in the top two rows (except TAoCP) for classes in university.

Too bad that Scala is slowly but surely dying.

aye

Attached: Tanenbaum Networks 5e.jpg (491x648, 160K)

Are Tanenbaums books overall good? Only read the Modern Operating Systems and it was modern as in sense of Unix clone from previews millennium (although might be good for standard knowledge base) and did not explained the trickiest parts such as how kernel should treat threads vs processes (the info would be pretty complete without existence of threads).

pretty relevant post I've encountered yesterday wiki.c2.com/?OperatingSystemsDesign

Pragmatic Programmer is good, it's basically a collection of good practices and tips and tricks that can make you a better programmer.

cathedral and the bazaar - I think there's a book that's a collection of essays? I just read the single essay that's called that. It's basically about open source development and why it works.

>It's basically about open source development and why it works
Is that even relevant anymore? The book is 20 years old and open source changed drastically since statistically the biggest contributors to open source software are Google, Microsoft and other giant corps.

As far as I can tell from reading it and from reviews, the networks book is excellent. But I knew nothing about networks prior to reading it, so I may not be the most competent judge

God i wish people stopped learning and using C.
Unless you write kernels or drivera don't bother with it because it doesn't teach you habits if you want good C habits learn the secure coding book by heart and also look into formap verification.

I wake up at 5am to have a 1hour session with Algorithm design manual before going to work. In the evening I try to do excercises related to what I went through in the past days. I have math background with very little programming experience, so here and there I find the book a little too non-rigorous, but I still think it's great.

I am currently reading Algorithms & Data Structures by Wirth. Love it, so far.

I remember it starting out great, but some of the stuff later on was so heavy-handed...

>Do you study any Jow Forums textbooks in your free time?
Yes.
>Do you do the exercises?
What the fuck else would I do? Read an entire book on a programming language without writing a single line of code?
Btw I recommend doing some small projects in addition to the exercises when you're learning a new language.
>What book are you reading/studying right now?
"Core Java SE 9 for the Impatient" and "Java Concurrency in Practice".

>Java Concurrency in Practice
is everything you need part of JVM and standard library or there is some popular 3rd party to use?

>is everything you need part of JVM and standard library
Yes, otherwise the whole "write once run everywhere" thing wouldn't work that well.

Been working on a game in Godot, though I'm focused on learning Godot in general.

I also haven't done much Codewars practice, I've been really slacking. I should get back to it, I can feel myself slipping.

Just finished pic related. My bachelor's thesis next semester is on verifying most of our tools for performance analysis on linux and jvm.

Attached: images.jpg (830x1080, 71K)

Have read it, was great

Just started this, going into a cybersecurity field and thought I'd learn some low-level stuff in my free time.

Attached: htaoe.jpg (350x461, 111K)

Whats the 1,3,4,6 = 24 solution user?

6 / (1 - 3 / 4) = 24

could also be 3*4 + 1*6 in base7

or 4*6 - (1+3) in base8

>OCaml
Good choice user

It's not a long book and gives great insight into the beginning of the open source movement, read it anyways.

>root.cz
Oh man, i remember when it used to be good. Ever since the matfyz guys left, it's been a shitshow.

Textbooks are a waste of time.

I don't think I was around for that long, when was that?

t. pajeet

Wen't through 'Automate the boring stuff with Python'.
Also 'Raspberry Pi, das umfassende Handbuch'.
Both of them very excellent and practical books.

I just started with 'How Linux works' which also seems to be a good read.
I always do practical excercises alsongside, it would be pointless otherwise.

Can someone recommend me good learning materials for networks and networking for someone who is a total noob when it comes to networking. I know what IP is, I know the most superficial stuff, but anything beyond that is a mystery to me.
What is a switch, what is port forwarding, nat, dhcp, internal ip, subnet, subnet mask, bridge, port, all these and many more I have seen mentioned on Jow Forums but I dont really understand them