Question for windows users

Why do you use Windows over Linux?

Attached: linux-vs-windows.jpg (620x349, 41K)

muh vidya

money motivates quality coding

More functionality.
Best performance-oriented GUI out there.
Best software compatibility out there.
The most versatile dev OS out there.
Linux is easier to run on a VM when necessary than Windows.

Video games? This is a terrible reason for a grown man to compromise his electronic security and privacy... Just grow up

I like to be in the majority.

I disagree
Windows has had security flaws for years and it's not till a hacker exploits them that windows fixes them

Get out of Jow Forums and get a Mac then normie

True
But common, Linux is better for a developer

Oracle server was easier to install on windows than linux so I reinstalled windows.

To be fair
I am on a gaming computer instead of my sysadmin laptop

Because I enjoy being productive. Using an OS that just works is very beneficial for me.
>inb4 all this shit though
Unlike most of Jow Forums I know how to install an maintain my OSes. I never reinstall because I don't have to. I don't have a problem with security because I am a competent computer using adult. I don't allow telemetry/spyware to run on my OS so no problems there. Everything just works without constant fucking around. I have no idea what the rest of your guy's problems are when it comes to Windows besides your own ineptitude.

Wow
Way to quit, maybe you should just become an hero

Nah
tech guys love to see how things work and mess with it
Linux kinda provides a playground for that

Linux has had games now for a while, in case you are out of the loop, there's really no reason to use Windows.

Ex: Steam, Tuxracer, etc

That is my point. I use Windows OS because I don't need or want to screw with my OS. I have shit to do besides fart around trying to figure out why shit isn't working. Is that what you enjoy doing? Screwing around with shit instead of being productive? No wonder use use Linux based OSes.

At least I got into tech because I like tech

>oracle server
You mean rebranded red hat. Theyre dirty as fuck. I wouldn't touch their stuff. You can download red hat for free or even centos

Linux has older games
It's a shame
That and Nvidia not working with Linux make it the obscure os that runs the internet

Muh gaymes and VS15
I also only use windows on my main PC, all the other ones run Linux

Red hat sucks dude
Same with fedora and CentOS

It's shit to me

cause there is nothing that i want that i cant do in windows

>VS15
Yeah
I only got one computer running windows too
just for games though

Freedom

-Vidya
-Software availability
-Much easier and more pleasant to use
-If I want to run Linux I can just set up a virtual machine

Windows is just a million times better than Linux for general-use computing.

>general-use computing.
Windows is better user interface, but all real computing is done by linux
>Supercomputers
>NASA
>Robots
etc etc

i've got that bro

LMAO
Sure kiddo

Hence why I said general-use computing as on my home computer and didn't list the million specific things Linux is good for.

>VOIP
>Networking
>Web Servers
>Virtualization
>cell phones

etc, etc.

Linux is better for creating development environment suited for a specific task.
Windows is more versatile in a sense of having more platforms it can target and a wider selection of dev-oriented tools. Doesn't mean it's better, it just generally can do more things than an arbitrary Linux distro natively.
Generally, I try to recreate the target deployment environment in WSL and develop there. Doesn't change the fact, in the end, the solution will run on Linux (usually CentOS).

You're using red hat with different logos though so how does it suck

I don't know anything about Linux and I don't wanna leave my confort zone.

How did you get a computer based job?

Every other main OS is straight forward
Solutions are simple or explained
Yet redhat I had to figure out every solution

Laziness.
Lack of time.
Degree needs MS bloatware like MS word (which is hard to mimic WITH the MS unique fonts, etc)

I did not.
But, I would like to get one.

Sad and yeah
LibreOffice has a .docx extension though
or you can use PDF

What is Linus?

Uh huh

GET OUT
E
T

O
U
T

Imagine being so Linus.

Calibri was hard to make it work right. And when you used certain zooms it did weird things.
That being said, my career requires transparency desu, so I better just get used to being under the watchful eye other than the "watchful eye"

He's the guy that made the Linux kernal you mongoloid retarded normie

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linus, is in fact, GNU/Linus, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linus. Linus is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linus”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linus, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linus is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linus is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linus added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linus” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linus.

That fucking sucks dude

>enter linux thread
>expect "normal" conversation
>this happends

It's a linux user asking people why they use windows retard
This isn't a fucking linux thread

calm down and stop attacking me.

I wanted to switch, but I don't know why I should.
But after this autistic experience...

To be honest i'm actually a /b/ fag bored of /b/
If you're gonna try linux I always recommend a old laptop to learn and try it first
Ubuntu Mate or linux min are the friendliest new user OS's

Hows the windows subsystem for Linux?

I kinda like the idea of using a Bash terminal on my computer.
Is it risky?

you'll most likely hop through a dozen of distros and come back to windows - more/better programs, less time in the terminal

It's a really steep learning curve
I use to drink my dads whiskey and curse at it

Once you get use to it, it's a gold mine full of fun and awesome expiriences

No reason you can't use both
That's what I do

I have been using windows since my first pc. Tried linux. While i didn't had any big issues (aside from hunting drives and some makeshift solution), it wasn't really an OS to my taste.

Attached: Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san - Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san Ch.001_ Meddlesome Kitsune Senko-san - (800x1148, 211K)

Yeah
I grew up on windows
Linux takes time and determination to get use too

vidyagaems
for everything else there's linux

My nigga

I used to drink my dads piss and eat his asshole while thought me the opensuse.

Why would it be risky?

WSL is awesome. Current WSL allows you to run the vast majority of GNU tools (pretty much everything not kernel-related) natively. You can launch a localhost DB server in WSL and you'll have no problems connecting to it from a Windows' client.
Just don't touch WSL files from Windows. If you want to use Windows tools in WSL environment - bring the files to Windows and access them via /mnt.

>Wincest
Nice

>telemetry
>botnet
I like to think that I'm important, and someone at least needs my data.

no i won't nigger

You can try Ubuntu for that

If Divinity Original Sin 2 gets a linux version I'm all over it, the first game has a linux version. Linux on Steam has been gaining steam over the past few years so gaming isn't that much of a holdover to using windows much anymore.

There still is
Most games are old windows games, no new game makers wanna make a linux game

If I switched to another os I’d still be doing the same thing I am now so there’s just not much point to sacrifice compatibility. Maybe if Linux had more “I really wish I could do this common everyday thing that can only be done on Linux” scenarios, it would make me switch, but there’s just not. There’s some really nice distros, but ultimately I’m not going to be sitting there staring and admiring at the settings or task bar of the os, I’m going to be using a type of third party program anyway. And if I actually feel compelled enough to do something on Linux, that’s what virtual machines are there for.

a novideo / shintel shill channel, aka LTT (linus shill tips)

TO ALL DUMB NIGGERS SAYING VIDEO GAMES YOU CAN DUELBOOT

Only serious gaming platform.

It's hardware/driver support it second to none. You never have to worry if a piece of hardware is going to work or not.

It's user base is massive which means skills in using windows transfers to other devices neatly.

Most of the downsides of the OS can be mitigated by just installing a firewall and deny outbound traffic, then none of the "spying" tools can dial home.

From a business perspective, windows domains are a no brainer, along with their servers and things like group policy you can control entire networks effectively and quickly from one central localtion. Microsoft are also liable to provide support for their OS, so if something serious goes wrong you're not left completely fucked, businesses can't afford to take that risk.

Most of the old tropes about windows are now dead wrong, performance is fine because hardware is basically a solved problem now. Security is good enough for corporate networks with a bit of hardening. Stability is really good.

Mostly it just works, the amount of times I've tried linux and wanted to do something fairly simple and then there's a problem so you go get some advice online, and then you try implement some solution, but there's 2 other problems that creates so you try and fix those and you need to do something else but now there's a 3rd problem and a 4th...and it just goes on and on until you can't even remember what your original problem was any more.

It reminds me of this XKCD comic

Attached: success.png (550x947, 69K)

but if i only really use my PC to play games, why bother setting up a duel boot?

>Mostly it just works, the amount of times I've tried linux and wanted to do something fairly simple and then there's a problem so you go get some advice online, and then you try implement some solution, but there's 2 other problems that creates so you try and fix those and you need to do something else but now there's a 3rd problem and a 4th...and it just goes on and on until you can't even remember what your original problem was any more.
this is the problem i had with it but that was years ago
>Most of the old tropes about windows are now dead wrong, performance is fine because hardware is basically a solved problem now. Security is good enough for corporate networks with a bit of hardening. Stability is really good.
this is actually still 100% false

Protip Linux is technically superior choice for programmer but don't use it you have no reason to. Stop trying to make normalfags feel like they have to use Linux. They don't have to and it will probably never be the year of the Linux desktop and that's fine.

freedom and stuff

Attached: T.jpg (500x500, 18K)

3 or 4 programs, but by 2020, when win7 ends its support linux will be most likely good enough to me to jump.

I like the DE

Gayms, better hardware and driver support from manufacturers.

Also Linux had no proper headless remote desktop support.

>Also Linux had no proper headless remote desktop support.
Just SSH, you stupid fag.

when I want to play games that don't run on Linux/Wine
when I need to use MS Office
when I need to use anything Adobe

I rarely do any of the above, but would be nice if I didn't have to keep Windows partitions for those odd scenarios.

I didn't go back to windows after 5 years of using linux. I tried but everything seems to be easier in linux and updates are not pain in the ass and i'm not into games at all so i'll stick with linux.

This is not true. Linux supports multiple remote desktop protocols

You mean cli over ssh? I am a stupid faggot, although I could learn to do the stuff over cli but I don't have the time or interest to learn.

I have managed to setup vnc to work just fine but I got a roadblock trying to run it headless, I have yet to find a solution but I didn't spend much time trying to find one.

Because I like to update unnecessarily everyday, having to unquestionably restart my computer, and being told what I can and can’t do on my computer.

making the switch to linux for work would take longer than the weekend to get it finished. After I find a new job/stop working from home, I'm switching.

>The most versatile dev OS out there.

Umm, never heard that about Winblows before. Maybe if you only write C#?

>I don't allow telemetry to run on my OS
That's where you're wrong kiddo

>Mac
>Majority

Wow everyone here is truly deluded

>waaah the boogeyman is after me
Grow up

Python 3 segfaults under linux when you attempt to import tensorflow 1.8.0. Following the error code about getclocktime takes you to a tensorflow page on github with one dude bitching about it to no answer. Grad school course wanted me to make neural meme nets. Ipso facto I purged centos and joined the msbotnet.

>hey guys the botnet has your best interest at heart i swear
you grow up

>muh botnet
It's time to leave mommy's basement, sweetie.

>guy who installs botnet software just to play autistic video games
>telling someone else to leave a basement
kek

I don't play games, sweetie.

Attached: (You).jpg (500x456, 59K)

>No answers about it on stackoverflow it must be IMPOSSIBLE
Why are CS students so resistant to actually learn anything about computers?

good, then you don't need winshits