GDPR and banning people from your site

>tfw banning someone violates GDPR

Attached: GVmUoSFZINl0gmH_WsPU4vDWfNi9E5FXlUPZU8oRtQY_.png (1032x310, 122K)

Storing an IP address is not a violation of GDPR as long as it isn't possible to tie that IP address with your personal information. You've probably noticed that 4chins doesn't require registered accounts in order to post here.

On a forum you're practically locking the user from deleting their account, which may contain personal info.
In Jow Forums's case, isn't storing the IP tied to that post still personal data?

An IP address by itself also falls under the GDPR.

>On a forum you're practically locking the user from deleting their account, which may contain personal info.
Depends on the implementation. A ban might also just mean that they strip everything from the account except account ID and password hash.

>In Jow Forums's case, isn't storing the IP tied to that post still personal data?
No. It's only considered personal data if it can be used to "identify your natural person". Timestamp + IP address is not enough alone to do that.

This is what I knew. Some websites which store the IP address for counting downloads have issues regarding GDPR.

Only in the case where it can be used to identify you. We've had a gorillean threads on this already where the actual GDPR text was quoted, you can look them up in the archives if you want. IP addresses are mentioned only once, and not defined as personal information. It's only stated that it CAN be used, especially in combination with other unique identifiers (such as online handles, emails, etc), to identify you.

Wrong. And in any case, GDPR requires data that can not be deleted to be stored using encryption or pseudo encryption, so if you were right (something you're not), it would only be a matter of hashing IP addresses.

No, you lie!!!! GDPR will be the death of small businesses and only botnets like Google and Facebook can afford to survive. Which is why they were on the drafting boards, even though this information seems to have passed everyone and undercommunicated by the fucking EU (((jews))). GDPR is government overreach! It will be impossible for EU cucks to use Jow Forums, because Hiro is going to ban you all!

>It will be impossible for EU cucks to use Jow Forums, because Hiro is going to ban you all
Ayy, better start making those reddit accounts, bois. Tomorrow will be a big day :^)

The death of American small businesses. Almost all of these regulations were already present in key European markets, especially Germany, with the primary exception being that the fines were too small to hurt big business.

>getting this upset because Jow Forums lied to you and you refuse to admit it so you double down on their retarded ancap ideology

Guaranteed 300 reply 'Murican butthurt thread.

>It's only considered personal data if it can be used to "identify your natural person"
It's broader than that. An IP address is considered an identifying number, and likely enough to indirectly identify a person on it's own. Also, multiple statements from the EU par element have stated that an IP address is considered personal information.

>An IP address is considered an identifying number, and likely enough to indirectly identify a person on it's own.
I guess we'd have to wait for the first GDPR lawsuit then, and someone showing how a person can be identified with an IP address and a timestamp alone and no other information.

>Also, multiple statements from the EU par element have stated that an IP address is considered personal information.
Because it generally is, when tied with other unique identifiers. But if you fine-read the actual text, you'd see that what GDPR actually says is "personal information is any information that is associated with your natural person". IP addresses alone isn't that. An IP address combined with your account name in an access log, is.

But you're not banned from the site, you just can't post and they can shadow ban you and you wouldn't even notice

You would notice from the lack of (You)'s though.

Or checking via Tor.

Also true. Or for normies who can't work Tor, just use the phone using a 4g connection.

Everyone had 2 (two) fucking years to prepare for it. Blame the incompetence on their behalf.

>personal information is any information that is associated with your natural person
this is a vague enough statement that, legally, one could argue that an IP address alone falls under this definition

The absolute retard.

>t. literal drooling retards that can't understand the most blatant and obviously sarcastic bait

woops, missed one

>this is a vague enough statement that, legally, one could argue that an IP address alone falls under this definition
But that's not true, though. The IP address only identifies the ISP, ISPs are bound by existing privacy laws not to give out any information about their customers except to law enforcement (see the gorillean failed attempts by US lawyers working on the behalf of movie studios to try to sue people over piracy/illegal downloads).

And even if that information was somehow compromised, you'd still need to pair IP leases with timestamps in order to identify the actual client.

And even then, you might post from a household or collective with multiple people, or from a public library, work place, coffeeshop with free wifi etc.

We've debated this issue north and south, up and down previously on Jow Forums. Despite what anti-GDPR shills love to claim, IP addresses are not necessarily personal information, and 4chins will not be affected by GDPR since it allows you to post anonymously.

>it must be bait because people can not possibly be that retarded
You must be new to Jow Forums.

>four exclamation points after the first sentence
>calling someone new
hello, Reddit!

>exclamation points are sarcasm marks
Hello grandpa. This was true in the 90s, not anymore when a minimum of two exclamation points is the minimal acceptable level of enthusiasm when commenting on someone's facebook or instagram post.

GDPR only applies to companies wth servers in the eu, correct? What are they going to too to a company not in Europe, say panama....or the United States, unless the US is a signatory and I wasnt aware

Attached: boomer.jpg (250x229, 8K)

>GDPR only applies to companies wth servers in the eu, correct?
No. Applies to all companies also serving users from EU.

>someone's facebook or instagram
leave and never return here, reddit

no

It applies to companies offering their service to the EU market.

>What are they going to too to a company not in Europe, say panama....or the United States, unless the US is a signatory and I wasnt aware
If the offending company exists in a country where there trade agreements exists, the EU can fine the company (or pressure the country to take legal action).

If the offending company exists in a country outside any trade agreements, then there's nothing EU can do. If multiple companies from the same country repeatedly violates GDPR, the EU could in effect call for sanctions or even a boycott of that country like they can for other regulations.

Can you imagine

The entirety of the EU getting range banned so that they don't have to deal with this shit

I'd miss some of the bantz but I'd be fascinated with the consequences, and the butthurt

Just block all EU posters. Problem solved.

I really look forward to shitposting again in a couple of days, and provoking the immense butthurt that is going to ensue from disgruntled Jow Forumslacks who have lied and shilled so hard against this they started believing their own lies.

Banning is alright, the site MUST however delete any records pertaining to an individual if the individual requests it, i.e the record about the ban.

Actual IT-guy for many small companies in EU here.

Attached: 11116047_1393557970964894_388996400_n.jpg (420x315, 25K)

But you can't store their IP.

Huh? Who told you that?

>Banning is alright
>MUST delete records if the individual requests it about the ban

>Responding to LARPers on Jow Forums

>be European
>email US company asking them to delete my data
>they comply
>send follow up email two weeks later asking if they have deleted everything
>they say yes
>sue them for remembering me

Attached: devilish.jpg (470x595, 201K)

Unironically, this would actually work if they didn't delete the email you originally sent.

>literally every website in the whole internet becomes illegal

Attached: 123.png (1000x1048, 482K)

Planning on doing this.

IP addresses are tied to posts, which are owned by posters, therefore IP addresses are tied to the users' intellectual property. Jow Forums does not comply with the GDPR.

lmao if they sanction us we drop nukes on their heads
the EU is a joke
get fucked euro niggers

>we drop nukes on their heads
please do, can't wait

>this is unironically what trump supporters believe and want, the EU to be nuked because they're tired of the Google and Facebook botnet
I don't even understand what Jow Forums wants anymore. They contradict themselves all the time.

Thanks mr goldberg. You are our greatest allies.

I fucking love butthurt burgers.
You can sperg about rangebanning as much as you want, no one of you is hosting a site worth visiting anyway.

Like Jow Forums?

Europe is a market for pass users ;3

GDPR obviously doesn't affect Jow Forums, since it became effective today and we're still able to post.

No one of you owns Jow Forums. Learn how to read.

Sue everything and everyone.

>it became effective today
retard

butthurt burger

Butthurt eurofag

How am I butthurt? I'm not the one raging mad about some EU regulation.

You're obsessed with america like always eurofag

Attached: 1527099545545.png (337x269, 138K)

>currently six active threads discussing the EU and how shit it is and americans being so insanely mad they are threatening to just range ban the entire EU
>"eurofags are obsessed with america"
Cool story, bro.

i simply dont give a shit about eu cucks
suck on my big nigger dick
cucks

>Implying it isn't eurofags pretending to be americans

Believe whatever you want at this point.

>implying it is

Americans cannot mentally process companies not being able to do whatever the fuck they want with iser data, that's why they are so mad.

Because the US is a free country unlike some shitholes in Europistan.

I think they can imagine it, particularly considering the botnet meme. I think they're just honestly surprised this was an EU move, because Jow Forums has told them for years that the only way to become truly free is to kill all niggers and jews and overthrow the EU and invite big muscular Putin to come and have his way with Europa.

>Implying it isn't
if all the Jow Forums spam on other boards were butthurt canadians then it is eurofags pretending to be americans

American here. What you're bitching about is called a shitposter, and there are a lot of them. Don't tread on me applies to both government and big business.

>companies' right to profit from you and your personal data, habits and darkest secrets is more important than your rights to privacy
>"free"
Sure you are.

>if all the Jow Forums spam on other boards were butthurt canadians
I don't think it is, but I've never been to Jow Forums.

Jow Forums are bunch of useful idiots and are blind to the bigger picture. The full picture is satan>masons>cia>congress>=president>jews>america. But being a bunch of nonces they can't see past muh jews.
Pathetic.

It was revealed two years ago april fools day the Jow Forums spam was by canadians who hated Jow Forums

US isn't a truly free country because there are things that you're not allowed to do

Small fines... 20.000.000€, or 4% of worldwide sales.

Yeah but I can shoot your ass whenever I want and that's important.

>Jow Forums is so redpilled and down the rabbit whole that they have started believing false flag conspiracy memes about Jow Forums and Jow Forums now

Attached: proseqt.jpg (678x1000, 101K)

At best, an IP address gives you a general area where the traffic came from, without other pieces of data, you can't identify a single individual.

You can. GDPR absolutely allows storing personal information as long as you have a real reason to. You just have to jump through some hoops to convince EU that what you are storing is necessary. It also involves creating some documents to describe how and where you're storing the data and how you're ensuring that it can't be misused. Also need to remove the data after you no longer need it. There honestly isn't much else to it.

Only reason businesses are in chaos because they're tracking everything down to your heartbeat just because they can and want to profit off of that information, and that's where GDPR fucks them in the ass.

Attached: E2c4LZc.jpg (622x960, 55K)

kek

funny euros ban everything they don't like, except this issue of privacy and they act like they got it all figured out. lmao

Eeeh no?
If you shoot a KANG as a hwh*tey your life is ruined

There is a guy here in Denmark that argues that we can't use IPs as identifiers because they change all the time.
He was not that long ago asked to testify on a case in court about pirating and court decided that it was unusable. So now ISP's aren't allowed to hand out IPs or personal information to anti-pirates without a court order.

Average GDPR supporter

Attached: tmp_21420.png (867x1695, 213K)

Why would websites need to monitor you user?
For people who rave about the botnet you're awfully against removing it.

mods can see your prior bans?

On Jow Forums? You can see yours, which means it is stored.

range ban 520 million people yes i can see how this wont hurt anyone..

Oh man, cant wait for tommorow, i'm so excited to be living in europe!

Attached: sadfrogPopcorn.gif (500x500, 2.51M)

Problem?

Where can I see my previous bans?

Sarcasm like this is very feminine

i bet he doesn't even have a feminine penis

Jow Forums is an American website you morons. It doesn't have to comply with GDPR

Attached: bd8.png (1190x906, 178K)