ReactOS

Is ReactOS the best memory-optimized operating system in existence?

Attached: ReactOS RAM.jpg (1024x768, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=08LKiVQZ31s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I wish this project could be years ahead of where it is now.

Same. If you can't contribute directly then best you can do is donate to the project and spread the word. It should help the project a bit. The more eyes it has the better. I'd really like a winclone to mess around with.

>recreating the windows api
i go back and forth between thinking that this is genius and thinking it's the most retarded goddamn thing i've ever heard.

It's pretty damn good and the source code is a million times cleaner than the real Windows source. What it really needs at this point is better drive support. I have real hardware that I'd like to run it on.

Same boat.

Attached: 1518920512887.png (800x800, 1.34M)

Congrats on installing win 95 op.

What it really needs is SMP and the ability to run x64 Windows binaries. It's a 32 bit uniprocessor toy right now.

Guns are made for bullets.
OSes are made for programs.

Guns are made for dick.

Attached: sako rk-95 smug.gif (500x371, 316K)

Not to mention no USB 2 support at all.
Not even boot device.

You'd probably have to rip drivers from real windows but fuck that.

>is this protective memory OS the best memory-optimized OS in existence
If we lived in a world without OSes that don't use protective memory, sure.
But we do have those, so nope, it will never be as memory optimized as the OSes of yesteryear.

Attached: 1519881486566.jpg (600x600, 43K)

>Memory optimized
Explain yourself

The entire thing runs on wine for compatibility, so seems pointless to me. I think it's great if you want that comfy Windows feel. Definitely well suited for older hardware.

that's not amigaos

The problem is that they need more manpower, and a better leadership.
They basically need to have their own Linus Torvalds, a Theo de Raadt or even a fucking Terry Davis. In other words, they need to have their own autistic programmer dedicated 100% into coding ReactOS and who could kept the rest of the programmers in check.

Considering how much it's missing compared to XP, I don't know.

Attached: xp.png (1280x819, 206K)

Even Microsoft have not ditched the 32-bit versions of their software.

>ReactOS
>leaks memory everywhere
>best memory-optimized operating system in existence
I don't know how you breathe successfully.

Attached: 15380746_1393921313952621_260492096667205370_n.jpg (531x333, 31K)

Wait so React is a Unix-like OS that just runs Wine? Or Windows clone?

GNU/NT

That guy is retarded, ReactOS is not WINE, let alone being UNIX.
ReactOS is basically its own thing, an OS with his own kernel that happens to use some WINE code, but still independent.

It has the part of Wine that reimplemented Win32. The other parts of Wine aren't compatible with ReactOS since the kernel is too Windows-like. Also, I don't even see why people are complaining about taking stuff from Wine. Why would they recreate something that's already be recreated?

does it feature screen tearing on real hardware?

2ch.so pls go.

No.

Doesn't it also use some stolen windows XP code, or was that WINE?

They can't, as far I know. The moment they use their code, the moment Microsoft will sue their asses.

>and the source code is a million times cleaner than the real Windows source
proof?

NT4 and 2000 were leaked.

ReactOS is not GNU.

I'm still convinced 2000 was created while playing a drinking game

Almost all developers drop support of NT5.2 and lower, so...GTFO degenerate.

4U

2000 was alright, compared with Millenium, that's it.

if I were to embrace an alternative alternative operating system reactos wouldn't be my first choice...

Attached: window.jpg (857x1202, 400K)

Maybe unclean source is an indication that Microsoft actually worked hard on making the shit backwards compatible with all their schizophrenic shit.

Somehow it looks so ugly compared to real windows 2000... Mixing in shiny bubbly gnome icons with the old, utilitarian, poured concrete style doesn't help at all.

we have to go back

Solaris source is cleaner than a newly paved German highway while NT is as sloppy as the dirt road going through a remote Indian village. Solaris has backwards compatibility with around ~80% of software going back to the 90s when Winshit was still offered as a desktop shell on DOS. Backwards compatibility has little to do with it. Windows was just programmed by retarded Poojeets and pushed into service before it was tested enough.

This. Maybe the old Jow Forums joke of "I'll make the logo" would come in handy for a nice retro icon pack.

Using third party drivers (GPU, etc.) is an explicit goal of ReactOS. They just need better class drivers.

Tango icons exist and are FOSS. I suspect that's why they got picked.

bump

The idea in itself is pretty good. Way better than creating an UNIX clone #5568, or a clone of a dead OS, like other projects.

XP was the greatest operating system of all time. I wish I could still use it.

POSReady 2009 is a thing, you know?

Software support is just a straight up bitch though. So many programs won't run on it anymore - even finding up-to-date browsers, antivirus, etc.

run your browser in an old version of vmware or virtualbox. Take the most minimal linux distro and run the browser in fullscreen. Set up a network so downloads go straight into your documents folder.

But can it run windows games?

Not only that but both Wine devs and React OS devs are working together.

It's simply half unimplemented. It will use up the same amounts of memory as server Windows versions when it gets close to done.

Neither would be Haiku or RISC OS.

Yes, it will be able to. Quake 3 Arena was shown to work.

wait, this is a linux os and not a de-bloated windows 7? impressive.

Not a Linux, though,

it's its own thing.

The heck, my so usually takes 200-300 with no background software on

That's a genius idea, thanks user

No it has a reverse engineered NT kernel. It does not work like that at all. From what I understand: it actually runs MS programs by being similar enough to be compatible.

Same. All I want in life is an open source, still updated XP.

gotta disable services then bro, if xp you only need to keep these to boot (assumes static wired ip):

dcom
rpc
audio (self explanitory)
cryptsvc (for steam)

SMP would be nice but isn't really a priority with software this light. 64-bit support isn't really a priority either. It would be better to have the drivers sorted out so we can run ReactOS on real PCs. Even with a single 2GHz core and 32-bit only software limiting you to 4GB of RAM, there's still a massive library of software that would run on that.

It's not UNIX-like at all. All the internals are structured very similarly to Windows but it's not Windows.

Think of the APIs as wall sockets. I want to plug in a vacuum (run an app) built for a North American (Windows) wall socket. I could do it on the Japanese (Linux) sockets too with an adapter (WINE) but it's not very good and doesn't always work. I can also install a North American socket in my Japanese apartment. I might have to fuck around with it behind the scenes, but as long as it provides electricity (hardware/software resources) just the same as before, then the vacuum will work.

it shares a lot of userspace code with the wine project, but reactos is a complete os, a windows clone
it 'runs wine' the same way windows nt 'runs win32'
wine is basically a clone of windows userspace, with a thin translation layer in place of kernelspace, which runs atop an os
in reactos, you have a userspace which heavily shares with wine, but instead of a translation layer, it also implements a kernelspace which is a clone of that in windows
it's not unix-like in any way

It's memory-unoptimized. Doesnt even attempt at using the available space.

call me when it can run muh chinese slideshows

>chinese slideshows
Visual Novels?

The question should be
>Is ReactOS the most non-functional operating system in existence?

youtube.com/watch?v=08LKiVQZ31s

>Can't even get it to boot into desktop without very specific hardware
Why even bother?

Looks like SMP is on the roadmap. This could be great for resurrecting old Thinkpads.

it's hvatat' not hvatit

2000 was by far the best Windows OS until 7 you fyckibg underage bitch. Do you have any idea how incredible it was to have stable Windows AND games at the time?

Same with hybrid bootable ISOs.

NT has a lot of APIs to support though. It's impossible to be clean with so much baggage.

SOON