Why haven't you joined the KDE masterrace yet?

Why haven't you joined the KDE masterrace yet?
>filepicker
>seamless QT integration
>large, friendly community
>customization and features
>devs don't remove features forcibly for no reason like GTK/GNOME
>cool mascot

Attached: qtvsgtk.png (1280x809, 205K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-8400-desktops&num=2
bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=360478
askubuntu.com/questions/47216/how-to-disable-kde-wallet?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa
store.kde.org/
ocsmag.com/2018/01/27/plasma-5-12-long-term-sweetness/
linuxjournal.com/content/best-desktop-environment
reddit.com/r/opensource/comments/8m2hrd/kde_set_goals_we_are_here_to_talk_about_them_ask/
mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i use weston

We need to rice our arches, you know

Attached: erchleenoocks.png (500x500, 25K)

The default window bar is butt ugly and I can't find another one that fits breeze datk.
Admittedly, I haven't searched that much.

>not using Freeze for that Aero look

I'm not a windows vista fan.

Because I don't need flashy animations and other gimmicks.

>you can't rice KDE

Attached: Screenshot_20180525_102523.png (2560x1080, 458K)

i see this come up every time KDE is discussed.

I wonder if it would be a worthwhile effort to do a "design pass" on plasma, to make it look better while also improving usability. Would they mainline it if it worked out?

Point me to this setting in KDE please.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-25 10-56-20.png (1189x856, 93K)

what the fuck does that even do? how is that intuitive? "Adjust for TV" what like DPI? Color range? It's incalculable how fucking retarded that switch is

What does it do?

It's fucking slow. I'm a game developer and when testing my 2D platformer, KDE distros are the only ones that run it sluggish and choppy. It's like the OS itself has some sort of graphics bottleneck or something. It may be specific to my case but the experience has taught me to stay the fuck away from KDE.

Removes overscan :)
And guess what, that's something KDE can't do.

You can turn the animations off easily.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-8400-desktops&num=2
definitely sounds like some kind of configuration issue

I guess you are right.
But what is even the point? I thought overscan is a thing just when dealing with CRT TVs and analogue broadcast. Why would you want to configure it on computer? (sorry if this is a brainlet question)

cheap TVs that have bad scaling and don't have dot-for-dot the same amount of pixels than the "native resolution"

It's my tv, without overscan setting you miss complete parts of the screen.
In windows this is easily solvable ootb. But other than Budgie and Gnome no DE has this.
Don't start about xrandr, shit should just werk right??
No need to be autistic and starting to edit lines, otherwise you could use a WM as well instead of KDE.

I paid 400euros in 2008

Cheap chinese TVs have overscan issues too.

I'm dying, this image is ridiculous
We need another humour thread

Ok, sounds like a real issue in some cases.

To get back to the topic, this is one of the issues that makes me sad about KDE:
bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=360478
This basically prevents you from using any desktop widgets if you sometimes change desktop resolution or connect/disconnect monitors.

Jesus fuck dude, Europe has it bad. In 2008 over here 720p tv was only $100 usd tops. 1080p was more expensive than now, but seriously, now a 50" 1080p (128cm) goes for around $300, less for cheaper brands (255.79 euros)

>shit bugging me about additional password
>Even wifi password is reset every time without it
>looks like shit
>Crashes

That's pretty much it.

It's not 2014. anymore. But why would you care when you haven't used KDE?

fuck outta here, you low-end tv street shitter

>It's not 2014. anymore. But why would you care when you haven't used KDE?
I literally installed opensuse a couple of weeks ago to check it out.
Care to refute any of the points?

>Additional password
If you're referring to KWallet, it's optional. There, two points refuted and two issues solved.
askubuntu.com/questions/47216/how-to-disable-kde-wallet?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa
>Looks
Themes exist, don't they?
store.kde.org/
>Crashes
ocsmag.com/2018/01/27/plasma-5-12-long-term-sweetness/
linuxjournal.com/content/best-desktop-environment

>If you're referring to KWallet, it's optional
Force opens on every login, has no option to disable it and fucks with basic features.
To disable you have to edit configs.
Nowhere is this mentioned in the DE itself.

Yeah, I guess it's optional in the same way Windows 10 telemetry is optional.

>Themes exist, don't they?
And still look like shit, unlike GTK+

>Crashes
Picrel. If it works on one config for one guy, great for him.

Attached: Screenshot_20180525-115931.png (1080x1920, 402K)

someone should add falkon browser to that image. it's the former qupzilla and pretty nice for some light browsing.

>Why haven't you joined the KDE masterrace yet?
I use i3.

KDE is nice though.

i hook up my x220 with kde on my tv every other day and never had any issues with overscaling and it's a 10 year old sony.

>>shit bugging me about additional password
turn it off then
>>Even wifi password is reset every time without it
never had that problem
>>looks like shit
rice it then
>>Crashes
???

>To disable you have to edit configs.
If it's possible, what is there to object to?
>And still look like shit, unlike GTK+
Great. Your personal taste supercedes everyone else's, even though many GTK themes have variants for other desktop environments.
>Picrel. If it works on one config for one guy, great for him.
You are confirming the stability of a desktop environment you're not even using by a quick Google search and a screenshot on your phone? Are you serious? Couldn't be bothered to open the links I've posted, huh?

>turn it off then
Can't do that from any dialog in the system. Same shit was with nepomuk in version 4.
>never had that problem
That's literally the default configuration. Press cancel in kwallet and you have to insert your WiFi password again because it refuses to store it.
>rice it then
Default WM will look like shit in any case. And if you are not using it, why do you need KDE in the first place?
>???
What exactly don't you understand?

>If it's possible, what is there to object to?
It is impossible with default DE instruments.
I once again say that it's the same as removing telemetry in Windows 10. Possible, but I don't think there is a single person that says it's a proper solution.
>Great. Your personal taste supercedes everyone else's,
Well, who else is going to use DE on my machine?
> even though many GTK themes have variants for other desktop environments.
And you can ALWAYS see that it's KDE even with the same theme. For example, look at Adapta for GTK+ and for KDE (yes, not qt, but specifically KDE)..
>You are confirming the stability of a desktop environment you're not even using by a quick Google search and a screenshot on your phone?
Yes. There are clear recent examples of plasma crashing. Since you wouldn't believe my personal experience, public record of such problems should be sufficient.
>Are you serious?
Yes
>Couldn't be bothered to open the links I've posted, huh?
Opened one of them, found a long blog post about KDE Neon, closed it.
You can rephrase is concisely if you want.

>single click opens folder
into the trash

>Opened one of them
Couldn't be bothered to open the one which confirms why KDE was chosen as the best desktop environment currently I see.

I know this is probably a bit surprising for a gnome user like you, but you can easily change this in the settings.

>why KDE was chosen as the best desktop environment currently I see.
How does it change the crashes or the other problems?
I guess it's an argument if you want something approved by a group of bloggers.

I can provide links until I turn blue, but you are missing out and you're unwilling to try another desktop environment perhaps in spite. There's nothing else I want to add.

>I can provide links until I turn blue
You can't. All you have are subjective online opinions that confirm your bias, while crashes are objective.
>you're unwilling to try another desktop environment
Read . I tried KDE on OpenSUSE just a couple of weeks ago. All my points stand. Crashes are documented online.

You may ignore this all you want, but that doesn't really change anything. And it doesn't change my answer to the OP's question.

I'm pretty sure you can configure overscan from the Nvidia drivers or using xorg.conf. Really a single toggle doesn't seem like it would be useful considering every TV's overscan is different.

Yeah, new American electronics are usually drastically cheaper than Europe or Australia. It's about on par with SEA, only way to get cheaper is chinkshit.

KDE AMA today on reddit Jow Forumsopensource

Lydia Pintscher (KDE e.V. President), Neofytos Kolokotronis (promo team), and Nate Graham (UI guru) will be taking questions tomorrow in r/opensource. The topics will be KDE's goals, which were set at last year's annual meeting. In no particular order, they're:

Creating top-quality software
Software privacy
Improving the process for bringing in new contributors

It's scheduled for 17:00 CEST (11:00am EDT; use TimeAndDate.com for your local time).

Mark your calendar!

It seems that KDE is my only option because no other de i tried has fractional scaling. I have a 4k 24" monitor that worked flawlessly with ubuntu 16.04, it was mac-like sharp until an update broke the fractional scaling. x2 is too large.
What other options i can try?

I meant sane, minimalistic ricing, not this monster.

>sane
>ricing
pick one and only one

>>filepicker
whats the point, if 90% of programs still use the GIMPED_TOOL_KIT one

Just patch 'em bro.

it's 2018
i ain't patching shit

>GNOME is going full retard
>Plasma still segfaults all the time
>the rest is irrelevant unusable trash
the dark medieval ages of Linux Desktop...

What's the date got to do with patching software?

Cinnamon is comfy

Why is VLC there?

>KDE
not even once

Attached: uncalculatedw_.png (411x336, 84K)

Are you using a kwin script tor tiling windows? I had one but after the 2nd window it just stacks them on the right side and doesn't resize the one on the left that takes half the screen space

>what is KCalc?
I would never understand that calculator meme

Why not? It have shitty defaults for normies, just enable opengl output

>90% of programs still use the GIMPED_TOOL_KIT
Stop using shitty programs.

GTK has prolly the best software as a bonus is Free as in Freedom and not proprietary garbage like Qt,

>GTK has prolly the best software
Like what, fucking GIMP?

And Inkscape

Inkscape I'll give you. It's one of two GTK programs I still use. But GIMP really is kind of a joke. Still no GTK3 port (isn't Inkscape also stuck on GTK2?), still no non-destructive editing, next version is probably gonna take another ten years or so.

Someone with obviously too much free time went through all the trouble to convince people the lack of KCalc (by default) is an issue, even though it wasn't pre-installed only on a demo ISO of some distro. In summary - nothing.

>But GIMP really is kind of a joke
Still the best general purpose raster editor there is. I wanted to give Qt a chance and installed Krita. Even adding some colored text in particular font was a pain in the ass.

So you judge GTK just for GIMP? GTFO.

Krita's text tool recently got an overhaul. I believe what they have right now is an interim solution, works much better than before though.
Also keep in mind that Krita is supposed to be a painting application first and foremost.

Tell me some good GTK software then. I can't find it.

The KDE experience is abysmal if you use Nvidia GPU

>Krita's text tool recently got an overhaul.
I tried the new version.
>works much better than before though.
Just how terrible could such a simple tool be?

On a related note, the ONLY program on my PC that uses Qt is Rstudio.

>Tell me some good GTK software then. I can't find it.
Eww lad, lets begin
XChat the best IRC client.
XFCE, prolly the most stable DE, uses GTK
Cinammon
Mate
Budgie (dropped Qt and is going to be migrated too GTK4)
GNOME Maps, simple, powerful, good looking
and with the power of jewgle I can find many more.
GTK is damn good and Free as in Freedom

KDE Neon crashed for me multiple times for no reason. Lots shit in the background uses processor resources (even with indexing off). Desktop doesn't feel snappy, like it covers in jello or something.
Xubuntu installation fixed everything.

>XChat the best IRC client.
At least use Hexchat gramps. Either way, GUI IRC clients all seem the same. Konversation has mostly the same UI layout. What makes XChat better?
>XFCE, prolly the most stable DE, uses GTK
It's based (mostly) on GTK2, which I have little problem with. Sadly this project seems pretty dead. Probably never gonna be available on Wayland.
>dropped Qt and is going to be migrated too GTK4
Where the fuck did you read this bullshit?
>GNOME Maps, simple, powerful, good looking
Wew, an app that literally everyone just uses a browser for. What's next, GNOME Recipes?

>propietary garbage
>gpl
really activate your almonds

>At least use Hexchat gramps.
Still, is GTK bitch
>it's based (mostly) on GTK2
No, is now mostly GTk3, but your Ktard ass haven't know it yet.
>Where the fuck did you read this bullshit?
Thy made the announce two days ago, jewgle it
>Wew, an app that literally everyone just uses a browser for
And is Free and awesome, fucker
Conveniantly you said nothing about MATE ans Cinammon, so fuck off.
Try to contribute to Qt w/o signing an abusive CLA that allows them to take the Free contributed code, make change its and make it closed source w/o contributing those changes back to the free version, you can't, is propritary garbage in disguise.

Attached: kde_annoys_linus.png (705x677, 283K)

so i just installed neon.
so this is the power of kde? 16.04 is the only one that could show good quality on hidpi.

Attached: Screenshot_20180525_193914.png (1422x820, 286K)

Its happening

reddit.com/r/opensource/comments/8m2hrd/kde_set_goals_we_are_here_to_talk_about_them_ask/

Attached: 1497361174396.jpg (369x333, 19K)

Ah, yes, Linus is infallible of course.

>Still, is GTK bitch
Yeah, GTK2 btw.
>No, is now mostly GTk3
Is it? sorry I don't keep up with projects on life support.
>Thy made the announce two days ago, jewgle it
The only thing they have announced is that the project is back under the Solus Project and that any choice they made will be "reevaluated". Doesn't mean shit.
>And is Free and awesome, fucker
Still pretty fucking useless and no reason for anyone to install GTK if they haven't. That's the thing I'm arguing here. There simply are no must-have GTK applications. Sure, there's good software there, but almost all of it has equally good alternatives. Meanwhile there's applications like Krita, Kdenlive, OBS, all the JACK frontend stuff, Filezilla, QTractor, Wireshark etc using Qt. Show me GTK alternatives. They don't exist.
The only two GTK programs I could not find replacements for (yet) are Inkscape and SC Controller and the SC Controller dev seems to despise GTK.

>I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE.
This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it.
>I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.
>Please, just tell people to use KDE.
mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html

Attached: 1463711494263.png (347x429, 219K)

Attached: Screenshot_20180306_235125.png (804x664, 88K)

killall plasmashell && (PLASMA_USE_QT_SCALING=1 plasmashell &)

you're welcome

>There simply are no must-have GTK applications
GIMP, Inkscape, Firefox/Chromium, mypaint, zathura.

When I tried kubuntu livecd, the screen somehow flickered often to the point that it's unusable. Then I go back to mint. It just works.

before i had the chance to try that i updated neon and now i cant even open the display options. pic related.

Attached: Screenshot_20180525_195751.png (445x224, 60K)

>system settings segfaults
lmao

Attached: Screenshot_20180525_200023.png (698x605, 34K)

>Yeah, GTK2 btw.
And is still working great
>Is it? sorry I don't keep up with projects on life support.
An stable projects only needs maintainance support, unlike other krappy DEs who are not happy w/o breaking anything every fucking release.
>"reevaluated
Exactly, say goodbye to Qt budgie, bitch.
>Still pretty fucking useless
No bitch, it is awesome and usable, not like fuckin KEarth or whatever its fucking name is
>The only two GTK programs I could not find replacements
nobody gives a shit

Kubuntu is shit

>2005
kys

>GIMP
Maybe for pixel precise stuff. Everything else Krita unironically does better.
>Inkscape
granted
>Firefox/Chromium
These aren't quite GTK apps, Firefox for example draws it's UI using XUL and just relies in GTK to get the theming. Sadly the fucks at Mozilla also hardcoded that ass-backwards file picker on Linux. Anyway, there's plenty of webkit/blink browsers that work mostly fine. I've been trying Falkon for a while and it's been usable. Qutebrowser is popular with Vim folks of course.
>mypaint
Krita
>zathura
Literally any PDF viewer.

>Exactly, say goodbye to Qt budgie, bitch.
we'll see, and what we'll see is no change.

Attached: 33.jpg (500x485, 65K)

>Everything else Krita unironically does better.
fonts.
>These aren't quite GTK apps
They use GTK+ and don't use Qt. Seems like a GTK+ app to me.
>that work MOSTLY fine
Yeah, just like KDE.
>Krita
Are you joking? I use mypaint (besides painting, of course) for note taking. It's literally THE best app in existence for that.
You suggest I do that shit in Krita?
>Literally any PDF viewer.
Can literally any PDF viewer customize colors of the PDF?

I mean if you are OK with sub-par alternatives, I guess Qt is good. But that's it.

Attached: 2018-05-25-19:12:36-screenshot.png (2560x1440, 601K)

>that work MOSTLY fine
What I meant is that they work fine, but may not have some advanced features you're looking for.
>You suggest I do that shit in Krita?
Just hit tab lmao.
>Can literally any PDF viewer customize colors of the PDF?
Okular can.

Attached: Screenshot_20180525_192539.png (1558x970, 331K)

Uses up too much ram

>may not have some advanced features you're looking for.
Well, I will check them if I suddenly stop needing features in a browser.
Except I'll probably go with "Vimb".
>Just hit tab lmao.
I will get clutter-free infinite canvas with selection of useful backgrounds and interface where I can change brushes and colors with a single key press?
>Okular can.
Great, I'll checm this PDF viewer next time I need kwallet and all other shit that comes with it.

Attached: 2018-05-25-19:36:40-screenshot.png (850x1414, 260K)

>Okular
don't waste time with tha POS, it is a testament of what KrapDE really is.

Attached: kde_sucks2.png (1920x1080, 471K)

>I will get clutter-free infinite canvas with selection of useful backgrounds and interface where I can change brushes and colors with a single key press?
Not an infinite canvas, but yeah, it's clutter free. Colors and brushes are easily available through the rightclick thingy.

>Great, I'll checm this PDF viewer next time I need kwallet and all other shit that comes with it.
Package count doesn't mean shit unless you want to be a fag in desktop threads. KDE is heavily modularized leading to the large package counts. Kwallet is optional. Okular is also quite fully featured and supports a bunch of document types, not just PDF.
If you're really looking for minimalism you maybe shouldn't shill GTK, after all the lightest actively developed DE is Qt based (LXQt) and apparently Kubuntu is now lighter than even Xubuntu.

werks for me™

It doesn't really matter what already uses gtk but what is the trend currently and if you look at github you'll notice that pretty much any project conceived in the last 3-4 years is Qt based. I spoke with many foss devs and they all said the same thing - gtk is awful to work with and they are tired of abi breakages.

fuck off, mongrel

>Not an infinite canvas
So it's not usable for me. I guess there are no backgrounds either.
>through the rightclick thingy.
Of course, it's such a pleasure to navigate context menus with a stylus.

>Package count doesn't mean shit unless you want to be a fag in desktop thread
Sure, I love to waste space on shit I'll never use, because it uses some retarded framework.
Why would I ever want to just use something that doesn't have this problem.
>KDE is heavily modularized
Why if it pulls 2/3 of all KDE for a fucking PDF viewer?
>supports a bunch of document types, not just PDF
So, just like zathura? Except zathura is actually modular, as in picrel.
>If you're really looking for minimalism you maybe shouldn't shill GTK
I don't. I shill the great apps that are built using it.
>the lightest actively developed DE is Qt based
How does it fix all the shitty apps?

By the way, I don't even use a DE.

Attached: 2018-05-25-19:57:04-screenshot.png (1100x161, 41K)

>KDE
>master race

Choose one