People always say if it's on the internet it's there forever

>People always say if it's on the internet it's there forever

That's a lie, I just spent 6 hours looking for my old forum posts and shitty artwork I posted on sites in like 2005 when I was 15 and I couldn't find a goddamn thing. All the sites were dead and gone. Not so much as a webarchive. I posted my old forum names on every search engine, nothing, nada, bupkiss.

Attached: 1519122761278.jpg (572x575, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

max3d.3dluvr.com/
therossman.com/evafaqs1/evafaqsmain.html
youtube.com/watch?v=CdOVbUHP9k4
youtube.com/watch?v=xdaEQpCjaVQ
internet-map.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The only things that stay forever are the things worth saving.

>What's true for Web 3.0 is true for Web 2.0

Attached: 1ba.gif (500x374, 2.81M)

Web 2.0 had better rules imo.

True, but Web 2.0 was WAYYYY more decentralized, with thousands upon thousands of independent sites that didn't rely on a handful of services for most things unlike now. It was possible to fly under the radar and have whole sections of your internet habits get deleted or at the very least make extremely hard to find compared to the centralized net we used today, where all the handful of tech giants keep your data somewhere so that they can sell it later.

Dude, I have SoundCloud tracks like less than a year old completely absent from anywhere. Not even a mention, let alone a download.

That's because lots of websites and communities where paid for and hosted privately and relied on clicks people would move on and old sites just die, and hosting is not cheap.

Though I still have 20 y old bookmarks that work.

OP the thread's too smart for Jow Forums, but you're right. Saving from page 10 because it's interesting.
Also some stuff might not be available to you, but it's kept hidden somewhere on google (example) cache servers. Also try opening your old files in formats that aren't used anymore. Computers are too proprietary to be actual "achieve of humanity".

Tell that to these Chinese websites mirroring my YouTube videos from 2008.

>artwork I posted on sites in like 2005 when I was 15
that's because you didn't post nudes

popular shit is always somewhere but something that you like might not be

>hur dur what is an unindexed archive site

Attached: 1525938918486.jpg (412x519, 61K)

even those wont be around forever

this
op likes a shit

Old forums were eaten by reddit. But the internet archive likely still has it saved. Anything on big sites like reddit or Jow Forums is saved. There's people with scripts that just scrape everything every day, and you can download massive datasets of it. Its just text so it takes almost no space.

It only remembers the things people want forgotten, like Streisand's house or those pictures of you sucking dick.

did you try waybackmachine

if you post yourself doing something embarassing you will literally never be forgotten, even more if you try to stop it.

if you put images/songs on the websited owned by "some guy", it's pretty much gone forever.

(tfw old game music that I will never hear again)

tried wayback machine no good.

can the NSA give me a copy of my hard drive because I lost all my info and I know they track me 24/7

People who say "what's on the internet is there forever" have no idea how fragile and volatile the Web is, not to mention the whole telecommunication infrastructure.

Same here. Most of the forums I frequented during the Web 2.0 era are gone now. I can't even get any result when I type the username that I used during that time.

Now wait just a fucking minute
I've heard of Web1.0 and Web2.0 but what on earth is Web3.0

>but what on earth is Web3.0
The gay social media version-focused internet we're using now

>site with integrated forum removes it completely but still stays up
Happened to me twice, and I can't find a single trace of either forum online besides Wayback Machine.

>Though I still have 20 y old bookmarks that work.

for example...? really curious

gentoo.org

max3d.3dluvr.com/

therossman.com/evafaqs1/evafaqsmain.html

I made all sorts of really embarrassing youtube comments back in 07-08 and theyre all gone now

The basedweb

Who cares about ur shitty forum posts OPPERINO

Why do you assume that everything that is available is publicly available?

>shitty artwork i posted on sites when i was 15
thank fucking god

They were probably wiped out after G*ogle bought it.

They are still there if the videos are. Yesterday I saw an old YouTube video with comments from 10 years ago, long before the new and comment system.

thehun

>werks on my video

I guess the wayback machine wasn't so big in the 90's and noughties.

Yeah, the other day I found a video with a comment I had made 12 years ago lol, it felt weird.

there is a window between 1993 and 2000 where most of the pre-boom internet data no longer exists online - only the people who store it can make it online again

B-b-b-but muh 200mb D: drive won't boot anymore m8...

They called me diogenes 20 years ago but now I have all the treasure for myself.

Attached: zip.jpg (800x523, 74K)

*clicks of death in your path...*

obviously I backed up all the stuff (mostly cracked DOS games and software) I had on the ZIP drives to my file server ;), I actually helped complete some game sets with obscure DOS titles that were nowhere to be found and I happened to have

The saying of 'if you post it on the internet its there forever' is more meant in a way that if you post something on the internet, you should be happy with it being available for ever. Once you post it, its out of your control, someone may have a backup of that shitty internet forum you used to browse. It might not surface for another 30 years until you apply for that security clearance job, or try to get in to politics, or any other reason someone may want info on you.

when I was 13 I loved making these little special effects videos with adobe after effects and sony vegas, I got kinda decent at it too, for what I wanted to do anyway. Got friends together and we would just go out and shoot some retarded movie and I would put a bunch of muzzle flares, explosions, blood motion tracking, green screen stuff, etc. I miss that and I would fucking love to have those videos back. I swear I remember backing them up. It was only about a year after that I started getting into linux, I might have done something fucking stupid and wiped the hard drive of my editing laptop so I could go pure linux or something. All those videos were on youtube but I deleted that account, also fucking stupid. I think the thing was I became a little embarrassed by the videos back then, and I just really really want them back now.

I have this vague hope in the back of my mind that google keeps every youtube video even if deleted, and one day there will be a massive data leak and I can get them back...

Same shit happened to me with some speedrunning videos I recorded as a teen.

Many normies however do, unironically, believe everything that is on the internet will stay there forrever.
It won't. The average life of a web link is like, what, 3 months?
The web is a lot more fragile and volatile than most people imagine.

I hate deadlinks. I have a site where I write articles and I try to mirror everything I reference. Either you see everything or you see nothing.

cyber hack can wipe like 10 years of data not to mention solar flares and such destroying everything that holds data other than paper

I can't find a lot of leaked Lil Wayne songs. For example, there's a version of this song with only Wayne rapping for 3 minutes and 30 seconds, but I can't find it anywhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=CdOVbUHP9k4

There's also a version of this music video with Lil Wayne, but you won't find it anywhere either.

youtube.com/watch?v=xdaEQpCjaVQ

What I've taught my kids is
>'if you post it on the internet its there forever and you have no control over what someone else does with it or the context in which they use it once they've saved it'

>

Found it for you user.

Attached: my_t_rex_transformation_pg_07_by_dinosuarjosh-d6sdo52.jpg (1024x1409, 346K)

That's not what that means, OP. It means when someone that matters does something damaging or embarrassing, even if they delete it immediately someone somewhere has saved it and will repost it. Unless you're someone important, your shit doesn't last forever.

I managed to find an old *.8m.net webpage I made back in 2002. Had like a hit counter and my old AIM/Hotmail/ICQ on it. Helvetica font. Gave me the feels, yo.

Us archive.is and link that

I tried going on the adultswim forums a few months ago and saw that it was gone. I was kinda sad, but also relived that all the posts I made when I was a teenager are gone.

Yeah, I found an old dhtml site I did back in 1998 where each of the letters to my "handle" bounced around the browser window, each one cycling to each of the letters in order, and when each one passed through the correct space in the center of the screen it would stay there, then once all of the letters were in place they'd spin like a wheel with the middle letter being the center, going faster and faster and then they'd stop and each letter became an orb, and they were navigation buttons (enter, leave, guestbook, contact, and a page of links to my favorite 3r3370 8urr170 hackerman sites. Oh to be 17 when the internet was still mostly normie free)

>noughties
i just got what bbc was on about holy shit

How's your chink wife serpentza?

*running mans into your path*

Attached: DMR_NEC_221217xmas_05.jpg (1841x1227, 285K)

fuck lol

>make a bunch of shit when 12
>get embarrassed about it at a teen and delete all traces of it when 15
>be nostalgic and want to see it all again when 23

Happens to pretty much everybody.

Ha I caught you!

OMFG I dated the chunky brunette of the left. I never thought the day would come I'd actually see someone I know on Jow Forums.

No you didn't. She's a Newcastle girl. They don't "date". If you were telling the truth you would've said
>"Oi farked that fat slag on tha left. Jeez m8, she woz a fuggin goer! Niver thot Oi'd see sum slag oi gave the old inout to on the 4chinz eh m80."

Attached: DMR_NEC_221217xmas_01.jpg (1841x1227, 338K)

LOL I should have typed ethnically?

LOL ll the sites I posted on are still there

>tfw my cringy old YouTube videos are gone forever
I even got a few thousand views on one. Seemed like so much ten years ago

>leaked Lil Wayne songs
just neck yourself

>therossman.com/evafaqs1/evafaqsmain.html
Holy shit I havn't seen a webring in years

Let me tell you how I divide up the different stages of internet history.

web 1.0: Administrator-driven. Sites are simple and mainly comprised of simple text and images, as well as animated GIFs and sometimes Shockwave Flash (at this time called Macromedia, not Adobe Flash). Content is mostly generated by hosts and administrators. Content and websites are discovered through indexes, lists, and directories managed by administrators - even the first search engines such as Yahoo operated on a directory, not a web crawler like Google does. Sites are very decentralized and often operated entirely by private individuals. Sites become popular through word of mouth or a catchy domain name. Sources of information are mostly inherited from pre-internet sources such as encyclopedias.

This period is composed of two main epochs, the boundary between which is roughly September 1993, AKA the September that Never Ended, during which AOL began its program of aggressive marketing that caused the internet to become much more popular, led to the dot com boom, and generally flooded the place with newfags. The influx of people and capital would eventually lead to the end of the enthusiast-driven Web 1.0 and the rise of the user-driven Web 2.0.

web 2.0: User-driven. Sites have more rich elements including videos, etc. Content is primarily generated by users - examples include forums and social media, but also sites which allowed a user to blog without making a website. Content is discovered through search engines, primarily Google which pioneered modern methods. Content is often sorted by users rather than administrators - e.g. a tumblr user tags their post, a forum user sets the topic of a thread. Sites are more centralized and are operated by businesses and organizations. Sites become popular through search engine optimization and page ranking. Sites become popular through search engine optimization. Sources of information are user-generated, e.g. Wikipedia.

I would say this period started around 2001 (end of the dot com bubble), and only recently could you really say it's come to an end. The rise of smartphones not only opened the internet up to vastly more people than had ever accessed it before, but it also increased the amount of time people spend engaging with the internet, increased the ease of creating content to put on the internet (especially images), and changed the way in which people use it. You don't have to sit down to use the internet, anyone could just "check their phone" and casually engage with the internet. On the other hand, the internet was no longer something you left behind when you left your home. The internet is now in your pocket, following you everywhere. These changes also happened to make the internet far more profitable, and influential. The billions in capital this would attract lead to the rise of the 21st century equivalents of Gilded age railroad trusts - the FAANG companies, all built in some way to facilitate access to the internet, create content, index content, sell people things through it, turn users into products, or all of the above. But most importantly: These companies use machines to aid them in doing so, in a way that has never been done before.

Web 3.0: Corporation and algorithm-driven. Sites feature richer content than ever, but unlike in the transition from 1.0 to 2.0, in an effort to unify mobile and desktop design, websites often become more minimal in design. Content is primarily generated by businesses dedicated to content generation. Examples: Big-time media companies that run several Youtube channels which pump out dozens of videos daily; the countless news sites that exist solely thanks to clicks they get from baiting upvotes on Reddit; content that appears to be user-driven but is actually native advertising; social media groups/posts/etc which are created by organizations and not users; Instagram posts which exist to promote a brand. These businesses use algorithms and metrics to tailor content to individuals, determine which content is profitable, and shape each user's internet "bubble" for maximum gain, monetary or otherwise. Content is still discovered through search engines, but these search engines often give results specific to the person searching; furthermore, a lot of content is discovered AUTOMATICALLY, curated by a machine and served to the user without them searching for anything in particular. Examples: Facebook feeds, Pinterest, Reddit, those bloatware news apps that come with a lot of phones, and so on. Sites are still operated by organizations and businesses, but in practice the internet has become extremely centralized, because most people only find a new website through another, mega-popular "gateway" website such as Google, Facebook, Youtube, Reddit, etc. Sites become popular through successfully marketing themselves through one of these "gateway" sites and through social media manipulation. Sources of information are increasingly influenced by organizations and corporate interests, but also subject to heavy automated curation.

I believe we are only in the early stages of Web 3.0. Smartphones are firmly ingrained in our society now, but the iPhone is only 11 years old, so the generation that's graduating High School now still remembers a time when they didn't exist. I think when the kids who were born around 2004, too young to remember a time before smartphones, reach their twenties (so about six years from now) we will see the full bloom of Web 3.0 (barring another massive bubble that wrecks everything and wipes the slate clean). What that will look like, I don't really want to know.

If you look at this map, you can see which sites refer the most traffic and act as "gateway" sites - some of these sites are pretty Web 2.0, some aren't, but I would say that right now we're only in the early stages.

internet-map.net/

Finished reading your posts, and I have to say I never read something so depressing in my life.

This really is the worst cyberpunk timeline to live in, jesus christ.

Cyberpunk is cool because of the punk aspect. It's a story of tyranny and transhumanism, advanced technology and the superpowerful companies that have a stranglehold on them, sure. The weakening of government and the individual, and the dehumanization of the group. But it's also about the people who fight that change, who rebel against the system, the corporations, and take technology into their own hands to win liberty and shake off oppression. The people who take up arms in the information war and fight for the truth. The punks use the tools of the corporate overlords against them.

Our reality is like cyberpunk, except we don't have the tools to do any of that. We can't actually put up a fight against the corporations and they've already won. In fact there isn't really a fight to be had at all. The information war takes place between organizations and interest groups - individuals or grassroots movements simply don't have a voice at all. Either you organize and become "the establishment", or you get shouted out by thousands of bots, powerful advertising schemes, strangling gateway sites that curate you out of the picture, and of course, tons and tons of money.

It's cyberpunk but boring.

what data you dumb faggots more bullshit for thenm to make up for you faggots to act like you care about?
i just hope you get killed never am i like, oh shit well, gee i sure jus wish him the best.
fuck off with your shit
and, there is no such thing but just as internet, plain.

count all you want its how many dicks you suck is what you're counting

the internet should be completely anonymous
why are you saying this shit for? who is giving out the shit you do? there ruining your anonimity. nobody controls that. might as well just stuck a gun in my door.

godamn i hate you faggots thinking somebody owes you shit or something whatever

use archives

I fail to see how this isn't the present.

What about web 4.0?

my nigga

>be me
>late ninties, early noughties
>get noice win98 desktop for uni
>modem
>bleeep bling blangblangalbanga
shuggawaugga
>fire up mosaic
>open altavista, search "n00dz"
>open The Hun's Yellow Pages
>fippityfappity, get off ma wankity

Attached: 8.jpg (1067x1600, 308K)

artificial intelligence running from googles quantum computers that observes the majority of the internet and decides everything that is displayed on a website explicitly tailored on a per user ID, to maximize user satisfaction and in the end, profit.

and by everything, I mean the AI will become so good that a sites design might completly change if accessed by a different user ID. Its algorithm will be so advanced that it can grasp a users whole personality and complexity and will identify what is the best for you even before you start to think about it. It will make subtle changes who, for the normal eye shouldn't have an impact on someone. clicking on a website will leave you with the experience of "wow, finally someone did it right!"

>clicking on a website will leave you with the experience of "wow, finally someone did it right!"
So it'll be like web 1.0 again?

if that is what you prefer, yes.

lotta effort for an unhired poster

Also, if you're a girl you can contact Google to erase your slutty past.

I remember making a YouTube comment on some Smash Bros Brawl video that got something like 200 dislikes. Wish I could find it for a laugh.

I wish google's quantum algorithms would work out that I don't want javascript, tracking, and 6MB of ads from 124 different JS files whenever I load up a fucking page and deliver me what I want

Ah shit nigga, you just gave me an idea to make GDPR pass no matter what the country is. Tell women in a roundabout fashion that it'll let them delete the evidence that they cheated.
BAM, instantly it passes. 2ez

Web 3.0 is what pretentious gen z sòybóys say when talking about web 2.0.

Perhaps hes wondering why someone would pay a poster, before that post gets replies?

same senpai

Same

It has always been a warning for everyone to be mindful of what they upload, as well as an excuse from those who keep circulating what someone else wants gone, trying to avoid personal responsibility by making it sound like a universal law. Encyclopedia Dramatica's writers loved using that phrase, only to find out one day that they had lost everything. Even after putting together all their efforts to reconstruct the site there are still chunks missing everywhere, especially images. Videos in particular are especially volatile and go missing all the time.

>So it'll be like web 1.0 again

No, because a machine made it.

>>internet-map.net/

I still get surprised at just how relevant yahoo still it.