/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=rL0_vOw6eCc

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri (embed)

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE (embed)

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi (embed)

Previous thread

Attached: Zenith-Defy-Lab-revolutionary-oscillator-9.jpg (2100x1400, 250K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wahawatches.com/ultimate-guide-to-omega-speedmaster-sizes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for heretical strap choices.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180525_085749.jpg (1327x1327, 1014K)

Stop.

Attached: IMG_20180512_125810.jpg (1920x2560, 2.25M)

Good morning wt

Attached: 20180525_100759-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.55M)

Testing at 34c complete at a rate of 0.5 +/- 0.05spd or so. Going to finish up with ten days at 24c.

Attached: Screenshot_20180525-110854.png (1440x2560, 356K)

Kek. It's only temporary. I just thought it was funny how the taper of the lugs matched the taper of the strap almost exactly.

Morning.

Attached: OMEGA_SEAMASTER_CHRONOMETER_166010_81.jpg (2000x1500, 480K)

9th for my new Seiko.

The lovely Japanese man even undervalued it so no import tax.

Paid £180 delivered.

Attached: image.jpg (2155x2268, 2.77M)

What's my best option to trim this shitty shark mesh i bought? It's not massively too big, just needs a row or two on each end removed

Attached: IMG_20180525_180148.jpg (4160x3120, 1.96M)

Your thoughts on the globemaster?

Attached: Omega-Globemaster-baselworld-2015-2.jpg (1200x795, 135K)

bumping fot Ti
spork optional

Attached: D0D1EDD4-2D0C-4924-B96C-87B425CA296D.jpg (4032x3024, 2.71M)

Attached: download (1).jpg (312x161, 10K)

400m - 71 seconds
Show me your run/gym watches.

Attached: 20180525_184434~2.jpg (3011x3841, 2.17M)

Is that a whole aftermarket bezel, or just the insert? How does the insert stay put in the bezel? Friction, glue, aome kind of snap on?

jeez what a dramatic faget
do you have a vagina?
8/10

You need to glue the insert or just buy a bezel with insert glued.

Back after being banned again, this time for 24 hours for mentioning Dolan Drumpf itt ONCE. Meanwhile that Tudor cuntface basically has free reign here.

Btw this is what I've been working on, the superfast Cosmotron. Pic is pre-service. It's not even something I can wear, it's a tiny ladies watch I got just for the movement.

Attached: IMG_20180518_160651_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.32M)

>The lovely Japanese man even undervalued it so no import tax.
Who? Seiya?

If I tried that, the customs man would just look up the reference and slap me with import tax anyway.

Nice. Hope yours manages to keep better time than mine - it has like a 40spd total delta.

Attached: 1520403832432.webm (1280x720, 2.83M)

I have what looks liek the same one. I was going to ask here.

I'm thinking about snipping off a few rows of links until it fits right.

No, different guy from eBay.

He just wrote Wristwatch $30 in the description box.

So I take it, once glued, bezels are hard to pull out?

You may have not set the beat error correctly. Timing machines don't really display correct beat error for electronics, since they work ass-backwards, so the timing machine will listen to the wrong noise. This is especially true for Cosmotrons, that have no fork, just an index wheel.

Pic is the fork of my Seiko Elnix.

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-02-06-17h03m37s153.png (640x480, 409K)

I mean inserts.

>8/10
Does it suit casual clothing?

>inb4 regret

i guess it depends on the degree of casual. business casual, sure
but
fuck it
do what you want man
they're nice watches

I'm too much of a wristlet to buy Speedmaster professional man on the moon. Is it worth trying to buy the Speedmaster First Omega In Space, or should I forget about the speedmaster?

Attached: Speedmaster Moonwatch Numbered Edition 39.7mm ref. 311.32.40.30.01.001.jpg (1600x900, 227K)

Hopefully not. I like interesting watches. Couldn't think of anything more boring than things like a SARB.

Dude, stop askign and go try one on.

The FOIS is a fantastic watch. There is literally nothing wrong with it.

kys shill

Man on the moon on neck yourself.

You wear it on the wrist not the neck.

It's £180, it's like a day's work. He won't give a shit if he ends up not liking it.

Sorry, but many think that man on the moon is the only speedmaster. I should surely buy that one myself too, had it not been for my wrist.

>Omega

Attached: 1516554677574.png (500x358, 179K)

wahawatches.com/ultimate-guide-to-omega-speedmaster-sizes/

I don't know dude. Glue is supposed to keep it in place because you don't want to loose that shit. It shouldn't be that hard to remove it though if you get bored after a year or two. I'd just get a second bezel though.

Who gives a fuck what many think?
FOIS is the perfect watch to me. What are you worried about? Reliability? Snobbery?

Other people's snobbery is my worry to be honest. FOIS is both prettier and better for me too.

Buy it and rock it, dude.
99% of people wont even know it costs more than £100.

For how much he paid it's almost guaranteed to make a profit if he decided to sell it on eBay.

How come the squishy, shitty, weak human body can dive to 1000ft, but most stainless steel watches can't go below 300ft?

Attached: really made me think.png (600x600, 143K)

Would the watch not being in proper beat contribute to a lot of variance? I haven't serviced it, so it could also just be that it needs to be cleaned and oiled.

Would be very interested if you get some good pictures of the index mechanism; I haven't found any good pictures online.

Attached: 20180317_142557-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.54M)

FOIS is better than the normal speedmaster.

Beat error should contribute to positional variance, yes.

Attached: IMG_20180518_161626_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.43M)

Attached: 1514287219327.png (645x729, 105K)

Imagine being this fucking stupid.

Attached: fucking retard (2).jpg (333x378, 23K)

lmao

Attached: 1486551489538.jpg (1528x1530, 188K)

It's weird as well as it was listed as used but it's literally flawless with all the original protective film on.

Attached: IMG_5574.jpg (980x716, 197K)

post your watches faget
let's see your Casio

Thanks. So there's a jewel(?) On the balance that pushes that steel wheel forward, and then somehow doesn't push it backward on the return swing?

Appreciate all your content, keep it up.

In fairness I'd rather have a FOIS. But yea it's not better.

The wheel is indexed by a tiny magnet embedded into the mainplate under it. The magnet pulls on the closest tooth, indexing the wheel.

Here you can see the tiny magnet just under a tooth. I'm not sure but this may have been the method for all Cosmotrons. The Seiko Elnix however is indexed by a pawl wire.

Attached: IMG_20180518_161230_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.32M)

But in the article it says that the lug to lug is the same, but that's not correct, the lug to lug in the FOiS is 47 and the MOTM is 48.

Here's Seiko's method, a pawl preventing the escape wheel from moving backwards. Some very early quartz movements also utilized this for their rotor, before realizing it's completely needless.

Attached: banking-pins.jpg (800x624, 143K)

Just ordered this from an Italian Collector. New old-stock from 1987. What do you guys think? Interesting to say the least, never seen this before.

Attached: IMG_20180525_111038.jpg (815x815, 218K)

Just buy a Speedmaster Reduced you cuck.

The guy who posts this is the same fucking IP every time, wish I could ban but admins don't give a fuark
No politix

kek

whatever bruh

oops, deleted by mistake

BEST DAY EVER

Attached: 2.jpg (1023x836, 349K)

A movement with magnets in it? I wonder if someone could make a watch/clock movement that's almost all magnets.

picture proof the world is flat

god I love it

Attached: 1.jpg (1600x1200, 163K)

Electronics are magnets up the ass. Permanent magnets in the balance wheel and coils on the mainplate, or vice-versa, and magnets for indexing.

Attached: gruenpuwelectric6.jpg (640x480, 47K)

Doesn't that have an unservicable chrono module?

It's bigger than his hand never mind his wrist.

Attached: Shaq laughing.gif (320x240, 930K)

Nice dress watch user, dare I say, very brave even.

Congratulations. That is the ugliest watch I've ever seen posted on /wt/

Is it standard ticking quartz?

>samefag shilling for omega
the speedmaster professional is a terrible watch and you know it.

Yes.

What the fucking hell is that?

So, I've been casually saving a little money each month.
I've reach my goal and am ready to purchase 1 of 3 watches.
>an Oyster Perpetual with a silver dial and blue hour markers. Pretty sweet.
>GS SBGA011 (only can find 211G, wtf?)
>GS SBGM021 (only can find 221G, really wtf anyone know what's up with this?)

Now I see this shit [pic related], and fuck I could just wait out a little longer and pick up this beauty.

So, I have a few questions.
>how hard is it to care for a moon phase movement? I don't want to fuck it up while setting it
>you can do a lot of shit with a Rolex. Now I know JLC is great, but should I avoid wearing this golfing and the like? (this is more of a theory question, I wouldn't wear any nice watch playing a sport)
now more general question
>should I go to a irl boutique, are you supposed to talk them down a bit, better warranty?
>lastly, what other brands should I look at in the 5000 to 9000 dollar price range. I've really only looked at Rolex, JLC, and GS and now I want to make sure I've explored everything before I buy

Attached: 1053301.png.crop.1000.high.png (1000x1259, 1.05M)

Reposting because no answer from last thread.

Please help me /wt/, I need an automatic world-timer/dual-timer between 34mm - 38mm (at the very max). I've been Googling something fucking fierce looking for one, and so far all I've found is absolute shit.

Budget is in the $400 range, but could do with something lower end as this would be a daily beater. Can handle it being new or vintage.

I was considering copping a Kronaby as they have an alternate timezone function that you can sync to one of the pushers, but I don't really feel like paying $450 for a hybrid smartwatch, because I'm convinced that the quality is going to be absolute shit.

Attached: kronaby.jpg (480x480, 41K)

>>GS SBGA011 (only can find 211G, wtf?)
>>GS SBGM021 (only can find 221G, really wtf anyone know what's up with this?)
Those updated models are identical except for dropping the Seiko branding and being branded as Grand Seikos only.

Oh, well if that's literally the only difference then nice, that's an improvement.

kek, too bad this wasn't another waht watch can i get for 50 bucks
i would have capped it for the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum in 2 consecutive posts

I have the Master Calender version of that watch. Honest once the moonphase is set when you first get the watch you never really have to think about it again as long as you keep it wound. Even if you don't wear it or forget if its only a few days off just wind it forward, job done.

It's a great watch and there really aren't many, if any, better moonphase movements in that price range.

>>you can do a lot of shit with a Rolex. Now I know JLC is great, but should I avoid wearing this golfing and the like? (this is more of a theory question, I wouldn't wear any nice watch playing a sport)
JLC advices their buyers not to golf and such with their watches on. I've been looking at JLC too. In fact I've been considering the very same watch, only in black. Anyway, don't wear this kind of watch when you do sports or activities that involve a lot of crazy movements. It may very well take it for all I know, but they do advice you not to, so I would just leave it at home if you know you'll do some shock incurring activities.

>should I go to a irl boutique, are you supposed to talk them down a bit, better warranty?
Eh, I dunno. You could try.
>lastly, what other brands should I look at in the 5000 to 9000 dollar price range.
Ulysse Nardin
Breguet
Penerai
Zenith

>it doesn't even have the slogan
try again

> JLC advices their buyers not to golf and such with their watches on.
What?? I've never been told anything like that ever by JLC

Post picture please.

Oh... well I have.

Attached: master-calendar.jpg (414x649, 198K)

Did it come with the box and stuff?

Are these movements cheap yet?

Also I've had the Seiko Sarb033 for a couple of years now and I'm kind of tired of the bracelet, I want to swap it with a strap, which ones do you guys think fit the watch better? I was thinking about something a bit rugged but I dunno.

Pic unrelated.

Attached: FP-Journe-Quantieme-Perpetuel-5.jpg (1600x1067, 924K)

Should I cop this Hamilton?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1000x1578, 175K)

Jokes aside, I've got this SE020 on this straight end oyster I had sitting around until the Hirsch Pure I ordered gets here. I actually don't mind it, even though I usually hate bracelets without fitting end links.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180525_151542.jpg (1156x1157, 703K)

You're just going to have people incorrectly claim it's the Interstellar watch

>Now I know JLC is great, but should I avoid wearing this golfing and the like? (this is more of a theory question, I wouldn't wear any nice watch playing a sport)

Jesus christ you sound like a huge faggot.

If that's the handwind only version that still has the ETA 2804-2 in it, then yes, if you want it.

Also don't buy luxury watches in stores for fuck's sake, buy them used.

>should I avoid wearing this golfing and the like?
Yes, in theory. Their movements are not designed with shock resistance as high up the priority list as a Rolex or in-house Tudor movement.

>tracking says being processed in UK customs for the last 8 days
Autocratic revolution when

Caliber F06.111 quartz movement

Please post a wrist shot, from a slight angle.

Yeah, depending on the country of origin it can be 8 weeks waiting for customs processing in Canuckistan. At least customs processing on stuff from the US and Japan is usually fast though.