Why haven't thin bezel laptops trending as smartphones are? It's literally the superior design choice...

Why haven't thin bezel laptops trending as smartphones are? It's literally the superior design choice, but very few manufacturers are doing it.
What else is there besides the Huawei Matebooks, Dell XPS series and the LG gram?

Attached: xps13.jpg (1371x908, 374K)

Other urls found in this thread:

costco.com/HP-17.3"-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5---2GB-AMD-Graphics-.product.100405666.html
notebookcheck.net/The-XPS-13-9370-has-some-of-the-slowest-display-response-times-for-an-Ultrabook.280580.0.html
notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Plus, the webcam placement problem can be solved via a variety of solutions.

Attached: matebook.jpg (1200x800, 287K)

Apple will make their bezels thinner again soon and then the other four laptop companies will focus on it.

Thinkpad for decent non-chiclet keyboard and variety of ports.

Do any thinkpads have thin bezels?
Also, yes I do miss port variety. The new Matebook Pro does have a good mix of usb-c and usb-a though, which is nice.

X1 Carbon is literally a better Dell XPS. And 14 inch screen is the perfect size.

>ddr3
>superfish
lol no

Damn, this laptop does look nice. I'm a fan of 14'' screens as well. I was thinking of buying the XPS 15 because of the lack of coil whine and also, 15.6'' screen in a 14'' body. But I might just consider the X1 as my next acquisition.
What are the main cons in your opinion?

T470s has thinner bezels than my old MBP, particularly around sides and top.

I like having access to a dock too.

MateBook Pro has both USB A and C though.

>isn't as much demand
>webcam placement gets fucked royally
>maybe issue with back lighting display

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5sYXB0b3BtYWcuY29tL2ltYWdlcy93cC9wdXJjaC1hcGkvaW5jb250ZW50LzIwMTYvMDIvd2luXzIwMTYwMjA5 (670x376, 42K)

Webcam can be replaced in a lot of ways, or can even be kept at the top while maintaining thin bezels.

Attached: lg_gram_15__2018__review_0002.jpg (1600x900, 218K)

The T470s looks good but the MBP has humongous bezels, I don't think it is even a fair comparison honestly.

that's what we already have on lots of laptops in terms of bezels

OP implied basically like bezel less as new phones have

>paints on canvas
>finishes masterpiece
>doesn't put it in a frame
plebs

every current laptop with a webcam below not above the screen so far might as well not have one. really isn't a good solution beyond just placing it above the screen where it's always been for good reason. On that subject, it's still the case that a cheap $100 phone will have a better camera than a $2000 laptop. That's just sad. Of course, now that so many stupid laptop makers have begun placing it below the screen it doesn't really matter since it'll be useless anyway.

generally, buying a new laptop is absolutely not tempting at all. My current's a Lenovo which I've "upgraded" by changing the 1080p TN panel to a IPS and I've added 16 GB RAM and a 512 GB SSD. These days new laptops have RAM soldered to the motherboard and at best one RAM slot. And many of them still come with garbage TN screens.

Laptop tech has stagnated pretty bad unless you buy something super high end. Companies only care about mobile, it's why 1366x768 is still a thing.

But as per the current states for smartphones, there are very few that are actually bezeless. However, most are being designed with minimal bezels.
Screens like that on the Gram aren't very common to my knowledge, that's actually a pretty good panel/chassi ratio.

yeah just like low end phones have 1080p screens

oh wait there's lower res screens for a reason

>it's why 1366x768 is still a thing.
Jesus, that is so sad. Godamnit, phones with much higher resolutions than laptops.
Is the future really all about phones that will be dockable into laptop/monitor stations?

literally every high end phone now is bezel less and there are more coming

Attached: Apple-X-and-Android-Notches.jpg (900x902, 144K)

You have a point, but as said, laptop tech isn't progressing at nearly half of the speed the smartphone industry is. Maybe it's just about the market itself as well as the consumers, but laptops can get a lot more value for what we pay nowadays, if you compare to phones in terms of looks, processing power, battery etc.

By "actually bezeless" I meant that most have a chin or a notch. Which is what I meant to say while drawing a parallel with laptops. We don't have bezeless laptops, but only sort of "thinner-than-before" ones. Which isn't saying much since laptop screens haven't been getting the attention smartphones' had regarding design and maximizing/optimizing space use.
You're not wrong, I agree with you. What you're showing complements my post. I might have lacked clarity.

pros for X1:
1. 'muh thinkpad'
2. better keyboard
3. best laptop screen on market if u get the upgrade

A $700 phones is far more impressive to normies than a $700 laptop. You'll get a high end ARM processor and 1440p screen, while a low or midrange laptop is stuck with 1366x768 TN and a low end GPU like an MX150 or RX 540.

Agreed.

What are all the laptops with thin bezels or very elegant designs?
There's the XPS series.
Matebooks.
LG gram
Some Thinkpads.
Anything else?

ASUS ZenBook?

Hmm, good one.

>ddr3
>U-series
lmao, "better"

>more components in a laptop
>why isn't $700 high end!

Aside from phones having a higher adoption rate among premium models that are fighting to differentiate themselves, small bezels have a notably smaller impact on a laptop due to not being handheld and affected by reachability of the screen.

Having a webcam at all is much more important than having a well placed webcam. While I have never used the one in my laptop(beyond verifying that it works) I definitely want it in case I ever video call someone. I don't mind the fact that I have to stare at the lower bezel to maintain eye contact because the slim bezels on 3 sides are aesthetically pleasing.

Every ultraportable is using LPDDR3.

>Aside from phones having a higher adoption rate among premium models that are fighting to differentiate themselves, small bezels have a notably smaller impact on a laptop due to not being handheld and affected by reachability of the screen.
I agree with you, although I must point out that it facilitates immersion and also makes a chassi more compact while maximizing screen real estate.

is dis a good laptop

costco.com/HP-17.3"-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5---2GB-AMD-Graphics-.product.100405666.html

fine for the price, ram is surprisingly high

True, I'm by no means saying that slim bezels are pointless on laptops(it's one of the main reasons I bought mine) but the difference between the 2015MBP and the 2016MBP is much less than the iphone 8 and iphone X. Although this is partially due to Apple's dated design still including a front button when almost nobody else is.

Take a look if that model has problems with overheating. Apparently that's a thing with HP laptops.

Ah yes, you are right in that sense.
Which laptop are you using, by the way?

I'm gonna shill for this cause I genuinely enjoy it.

Attached: HP Envy x360 with Ryzen and Vega.jpg (1536x1060, 253K)

notebookcheck.net/The-XPS-13-9370-has-some-of-the-slowest-display-response-times-for-an-Ultrabook.280580.0.html

GHOSTING MY NIGGA GHOSTING
notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html

that's pretty but way too premium looking for my liking
that doesn't make any sense actually but anyway