/wt/ - Watch Thread, Grundstof edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=WpbIaG-MOos

>Thread theme (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=YxIiPLVR6NA

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread

Attached: slice.jpg (1552x873, 445K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LJjsm6CVsG8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for the longest lugs on market

Attached: ck1.jpg (735x735, 194K)

Does anyone here actually own that?
Or any watch with a wooden dial.

>backlight beats lume 100 % of the time and you know.
Lmao, holy shit no.
With a backlight you either have to press a button or set it up to illuminate when you flick your wrist, which is always finnicky and sometimes just doesn't work depending your position. They're also often too bright depending on the situation. Backlights also drain your battery.

Lume is just there. Vastly superior.

>With a backlight you either have to press a button or set it up to illuminate when you flick your wrist, which is always finnicky and sometimes just doesn't work depending your position. They're also often too bright depending on the situation. Backlights also drain your battery.
And this is talking about modern backlights.
Not even going to go into those side lights.

Man that Avicii music is so cringy.

>Lume is just there
unless you carry a uv flashlight lume is not there. it usually fades within 1 hour for 99% of watches unless its tritium

This

t. backlight believer.

It's basic vanilla bitch essential, just like that piece of shit watch.

Attached: IMG_5232.jpg (1080x1077, 122K)

>unless you carry a uv flashlight lume is not there.
Only time you'd ever run out of lume is if you're a caver. In which case you have plenty of torches to charge up the lume.

> it usually fades within 1 hour for 99% of watches
Confirmed for never having owned a watch with modern lume.

I have -5.5 correction, and the tiny lume dots on my green alpinist were always more than enough to remain readable even by 6 am. Without making any deliberate effort to charge them.

why you guys wear watches lmao just check the time on youre phone ??

Attached: cat.jpg (198x205, 11K)

Holy shit.
I never thought of it like this.

Guys? Anyone wanna buy my collection?

Attached: collection.jpg (2048x1536, 221K)

What if I don't have my phone on me?

Wear a pocket watch.

That seems more autistic

Attached: Literally modern pocket watch.jpg (500x430, 26K)

Not as autistic as wearing a watch and posting to this thread all day long lmao faggot

Attached: wrist_shot_grundstof.jpg (1046x1000, 304K)

Not as autistic as coming into a thread and complaining about the topic the thread is about when you could just scroll past

LAMO

Wooden watches are a meme, like pretzel buns or macaroons.

One of the most important aspects of horology is using materials that don't swell or shrink depending on the temperature or humidity, or easily wear over time. Even the shittiest Chinese metals that are 50% zinc and 50% rust are stronger than wood. Quit posting these Kickstarter shitters.

Sounds like you are not wearing a slice of nature

Macaroons are legit and end yourself.

Which one to cop?

Attached: grundstof3.jpg (950x320, 41K)

None > Mid > Left > Right

Attached: Rolex-President-Day-Date-18k-Yellow-Gold-Wood-Dial-Mens-Watch-18078_15884_F[1].jpg (1024x1024, 244K)

Rolex making a grundstof homage..
What a time to be alive.

Electronic music is my fav genre and I've never listened to that shit.

Post watches set to current time and date with a knife added to the picture.

Attached: IMG_20180526_134914.jpg (4017x1533, 2.19M)

Please stop shilling shit wooden watches

I think it looks great personally, and that's just a matter of taste am I right. However, I think perhaps it will look too big. I wish I could try it, but I have no opportunities to do so without traveling.

>knife
That's clearly a mail opener.

I'm in the same boat, I live in a place without watch boutiques. I'm actually going to "see friends" in the capital soon, but it's an excuse to go to all the watch boutiques and see Langes and Journes in person.

It's a vintage meme, aged like a fine wine.

Attached: 1177-UGWood-A.jpg (2048x2048, 474K)

Yeah, I recently did the same thing "visiting family". But I didn't look at this particular brand or watches. It would be so silly to just go ahead and do the same again right now.

Anyone know any half decent watches for $300 and under? College poorfag here but I still want to get something decent for what I’m paying for

What do you want from it?

Red army parade dagger, but that doesn't mean you cannot open letters with it.

I never even think of going inside a boutique to look at watches because I am a poorfag and look like one.
I wish I could enter a place and just ask to have a look at things like FP Journe.

With the right pattern wood looks fantastic on the dial.

When did you realize european watchmakers are all just resting on their laurels and relying on brand whoring?

Attached: dull.jpg (2880x1620, 453K)

Preferably something minimal/simple doesn’t have to be flashy or anything just be a quality reliable watch that I could wear daily

Get a Seiko, look at the SARBs and such. Or Orient.
You could get a diver but I don't think that's what you're looking for, right?

After watching a couple of videos from hodinkee or any other "official" watch channel and seeing peoples collections.

Guys, let me ask you this.
I want to buy my new watch in another country. Then when I head home and arrive at my airport, there is a small chance you get to the toll. You are supposed to pay VAT on something you purchased abroad, but what I want to do is hide the fact that I bought anything at all. So, obviously wearing the watch is an option. However, there's the box and and certificate and whatever is included. I obviously want to take this with me home too.

How would you guys do this? Any ideas?

Attached: theurbangentry.jpg (2880x1800, 329K)

Just wear the watch and put box and papers and shit to your clothes bag and be done with it.

Someone should photoshop a dick right in front of TGVs face here kek

Attached: supreme_gentleman.jpg (480x480, 30K)

>hi guys
>what is international mail?
>thanks

Attached: fucking retard (2).jpg (333x378, 23K)

im gay

>bothering to mail the box and papers before hand.
Where the fuck do you live? North Korea?

>got really drunk while wearing my tudor heritage black bay and now can't find it

Attached: FFFFFFFFFFUCKKKKKK.jpg (256x256, 9K)

Tudornigger is that you?
Glad you came out.

>guys I need to get this thing to this other country
>I can't take it through customs
>"dude just mail it"
>lol fucking retard

?

Do this duh.
It's mine now, you don't remember but you gave it to me last night :^)

Not really a fan of divers, I’m looking for either a “classic” watch or more of a “minimalist” kind of watch

Attached: 4L_3YtqcPFG.png (650x831, 445K)

>what is luggage

I'm pretty sure that counts as a personal item. You only get taxed if you buy like 10 of them and you look like you're going to resell them or some shit. Also talking 5 figures

Did the insecure wristlet who got cucked out of his Casio aq230 send it to you?
That watch would suit you kek.

Attached: ppp (2).jpg (432x439, 18K)

Just put on a nice pair of jeans, a plain shirt or a plain sweater. Shoes that doesn't look like they are completely shit.
You don't need to dress up to go to such a boutique. I don't know how it's like in your country, but they will let in normal people, it's not like it's a fancy night club.

Normally they will have a two door entrance. First door is opened by you. Then you will stand between that door and another door which will open once the first door is closed. So in effect you are locked inside there for a few seconds. I.E, one door will only open, never both at the same time. Then when the first door closes, you will enter the other door. Then the salesmen will smile at you and ask if you need any help. Their manners are good, so they won't embarrass you, and you never need to feel awkward just because you stand in a room with a fuckton of value. Just take a chill-pill, and go inside. Have a look, ask to try on some watches. They don't judge you as someone too poor to shop there unless you are literally a stinking homeless person.

Orient Bambino
Seiko Presage

Hahahaha
lmao

Never, because that's such a broad generalization as to be false.

Attached: Zenith-Defy-Lab-15-Hz-14.jpg (1000x756, 120K)

Good idea I guess. I'm not sure how to post anything tho. Never done it. But I suppose they will help me out there. I wonder whether this is a foolproof plan though. I mean, if they were to check this package and see that it's a box without the watch, sure they can't actually deem the value to what it originally was, but they will clearly understand that someone tricked the system on purpose. What happens then?

This post wasn't me btw.

Fair enough, but do you admit that the bulk of the industry is more committed to marketing and branding rather than develpment?

Today is 70's Jap quartz day.

Attached: IMG_20180526_125130_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.23M)

Kys

Hmm, but let's say they check my bag, they find the box with the certificate, but no watch. "OK, kid, what's on your wrist - let's see it"
What then?

no thats a citizen not a kys special

No customs officers care that much irl.
Your chances of getting fucked like that is less than the chance of post missing your box and papers

>it's broad that's why its false

lmao. maybe it's broad because that's the fucking state of the industry you daft cunt.

Citizen kystron

Sure, but most is not all. Hell, who would expect LVMH of all people to innovate?

(You)

Finished customer's Orient, just needed a new crown, but now it's becoming painful that I still don't own an Orient. The 46xxx is a pretty cute movement series.

Make me.

Attached: IMG_20180526_125152_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.17M)

>kys special
You rang?

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180427_125321.jpg (2389x2389, 2.56M)

>Make me.
Nigga you fix some poorfags shitty crusty dogshit orients and seikos all day, I don't have to do a thing myself, you will eventually off yourself.

Not him, but isn't that kinda hard to avoid? You can basically have infinite marketing for a product, but there's a limit to how many engineers/watchmakers can collaborate on a movement or material or whatever.

Nice.
But if I see you wearing flannel again in summertime I will call you sweatbrah instead of fatbrah.

You could get a used Nomos, for more than 300, though. Or a used Junghans.
Otherwise I'd definitely go with Seiko, especially if you don't want a diver.

I have the SARB033, bought it for 270 basically new 2 years ago. Nice watch. Lurk a bit, keep asking questions and check out all the Seiko with the 6R15 movement with the SARB/SARX etc. codes, don't rush your decision, you might change your opinion over time, take your time for an informed decision. In the end taste is personal but I figure you'll have to compromise if money is an issue.

I might have forget some options.
Your point?
>it's not like it's a fancy night club.
But it basically is. I don't have a boutique that has FP Journe here in Bolzano but people in northern Italy (and especially in Bolzano) are all uppity and super snob. This is not Burgerland, "poor" people here wear Gucci shit etc.

Attached: Junghans-Max-Bill-Chronoscope-Automatic-Watch-J880.2-40mm-White-027-4600.00-1_491f7443-9c1c-4f2b-b09 (800x600, 53K)

It literally took them to get people from outside the industry to try and develop something new LMAO swiss brands completely BTFO

youtube.com/watch?v=LJjsm6CVsG8

Attached: Rolex-Daytona-Rainbow-Everose-RBOW-7.jpg (1600x1067, 882K)

In the summer if I'm taking a new pic I just put on plaid to take the pictures to keep the plaid posting meme alive.

Nigga, you declare when you post it what you're shipping. You'll tell the nice lady behind the counter that it's a "cardboard box". Then you tell her it's worth "$25".

If you have to order a spare part for your car from China they declare the value of the part, not the value of your fucking car.

fuck off

I don't know how you look and what you wear, but for me when I enter these boutiques (certified ADs mostly) I wear casual clothes, nice sweater and jeans, normal casual shoes. I've never experienced that they don't let me in, or have insinuated that I don't belong in their store or anything like that. Just last weekend I went into such a store, I asked about their omegas, their rolexes, their pateks, and I got to try them on.

No shit, negroid. But they can still add two and two together I assume? But maybe I'm just overthinking this.

That could be classified as shitposting.
I expected better of you canuckanon.

What would be the point of re-engineering the wheel when aerospace engineers already had the relevant subject matter expertise?

Besides, Konrad Damasko should prove the natural affinity between the disciplines.

What do you think of Panerais? They don't have in-house movements, is that a drawback?

Attached: Panerai Luminor Due 3 Days Automatic Acciaio 38mm - pam00903.jpg (1920x1080, 158K)

You could have bought just the box for what they know, I don't know what the law is but in theory they would have to prove you also bought the watch.
Keep the receipt in a pocket in your wallet, I doubt customs would check that, or?
Wait, are you taking the plane or what? If not just mail the box, if yes don't put the box in the fucking bag you're taking with you, put it in the hold luggage.
>No customs officers care that much irl.
They might if you wear an expensive watch.

No.

If you're overthinking shit maybe you should just pay your taxes.

Essential "I have some money for a nice watch but I don't know what the fuck should I get" -core

Attached: Tristano666.jpg (249x249, 25K)

?

I'm sorry

Why do I feel your "casual" clothes probably cost more than what I earn in a month?

In my scenario I would fly to London, buy grey market, then fly back home.

I wouldn't normally bring luggage for a one day trip, but I guess I could do that just as part of the plan to to conceil the purchase. So I put my box and the certificate in the luggage, then I wear my watch on my wrist? However, if they stop me and check my handbags and such, isn't it natural that they also make sure to check this person's luggage too?

>What do you think of Panerais?
The single most overpriced watchbrand in Switzerland. The Chinkshit fakes are so indistinguishable from the real thing that no one will take used Panerais without box and papers.

>However, if they stop me and check my handbags and such, isn't it natural that they also make sure to check this person's luggage too?
I'm not an airport expert but at the point when you're at the custom isn't the luggage already on a different route than the passenger?
Imagine if they had to recover the luggage for every single passenger with a slightly expensive object on his person.

I'm not an expert, someone else might give you a better advice but I think it's infinitely better than putting the box in a bag you're taking with you.

Thanks user I’ll look more into it

What country do you live in?