I have a wall unit air conditioner from the late 1970s that's crapping out on me...

I have a wall unit air conditioner from the late 1970s that's crapping out on me. I know jack shit about air conditioners, but I know that wall units are a pain in the ass to shop for and install.

Are there any modern units to look out for? My room has a crawlspace in it so when it's summer, it's extremely hot, and when it's winter, it's extremely cold.

Attached: wall1large.jpg (550x466, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1266
youtube.com/watch?v=I9Td5uMB_vQ&t=4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get a heat pump. More efficient and it heats as well as cools. If you don't want another wall unit get a ductless mini-split.

Late 1970s? Damn! Don't make them like that anymore. Shits got the good cooling, Freon, crap inside to, Now your lucky if one lasts 2 yrs before it goes belly up.

I use a last gen Hitachi DC Inverter unit, sips power, no start stop thud on the compressor.

Newest model number is the RA-28NV for the 2.8kw 10,000BTU R410 model.

Attached: 22E4C4AC82ACBE6C0340E04ABFD92FB82F9C2C23[1].jpg (400x400, 45K)

>Get a heat pump.
No. Fuck that! Get a real air conditioner that works in high humidity conditions. Heat pumps are a meme. Never.

Attached: Screenshot_20180526_205904.png (1116x772, 94K)

>Are there any modern units to look out for?
Before you spend any money, be sure to research what specs you need (BTUs) for your AC. I can't locate my notes from years ago. But use Google and also Comsumer Reports. CR requires a sub to see their recommendations. But their tutorials/buying guides are free. You have to take into account the size of the space you are trying to cool down and also if it is hit by direct sunlight in the afternoon. Make sure to buy the right unit for your needs, if you purchase just based on price you might screw yourself.

>My room has a crawlspace in it so when it's summer, it's extremely hot
Note that for wall mounted units, you will never get cooler than the outside temp - 15 degrees F. So if it is 95 degrees F outside the coolest you can expect is 80 degrees F in your room. I have no experience with other types of AC units (ductless) but you probably should understand their limitations before spending your money.

Do the research and get the right unit for your needs.

Good luck.

heat pumps are only useful in a few select climes

Have you thought about... I dunno,,, calling a technician instead of listening to retards on Jow Forums?

R410a a shit.

Why not repair it instead?

1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1266

QUIIIINTS

Attached: file.png (180x180, 36K)

It's almost as if...air conditioners in the 70s weren't made in a Chinese sweatshop.

Completely wrong. I had a window unit that kept my room fucking icy in the summer.

Here's a blast from the past

Attached: SEXIST AIR CONDITIONING.gif (480x270, 927K)

I got pic-related and it works pretty well. LG-LP1015WNR

Takes about 5 mins to setup. Only maintenance required is draining the water tank every so often.

I put that shit next to my desktop and my temps drop to like 20C even though it's 90F outside. I personally dont care about staying cool. My desktop is more important than me

I gotchu OP
youtube.com/watch?v=I9Td5uMB_vQ&t=4s

Cheaper than an AC by far and easier to setup.

Kek quints BTFO

Attached: image.jpg (172x249, 9K)

when i see a wall unit aircon, this is what i think of

Attached: th.jpg (260x150, 8K)

They're the same thing, faggot.

Evaporative coolers only work in dry climates.

>I have a wall unit air conditioner from the late 1970s that's crapping out on me. I know jack shit about air conditioners, but I know that wall units are a pain in the ass to shop for and install.
It's basically just a window unit that has been installed in a wall.

>Are there any modern units to look out for?
If you've got the funds you can get a mini split setup. They're pretty fucking great.

>My room has a crawlspace in it so when it's summer, it's extremely hot, and when it's winter, it's extremely cold.
Seal that shit. Get some of that double sided clear tape and the plastic window covers.

Holy shit, somebody else remembers The Brave Little Toaster?

Insulation wouldn't be a bad idea.

yea
it's one of those "best left as a memory" childrens' movies
it has some pretty dark undertones you likely didn't truly understand as a kid

I was thinking about this recently. Actually, a lot of stuff from that time had serious undertones. Kids today will only know brightly-colored shit that doesn't make you think or feel anything.

another one i somewhat recently was reminded of was Milo and Otis
i actually tried to rewatch it, but has to stop a few minutes in, it's really only enjoyable by a naïve young mind, think about it even a little and it's just outright disturbing

>a lot of stuff from that time had serious undertones.
you might be right, come to think of it
most if not all the ones i think to take another look at has been a much different experience for one reason or another
i can't compare to modern kids entertainment though, since i have no kids (so have no desire to watch modern kids entertainment)