Why i3 and other tiling window managers are so popular here?

Why i3 and other tiling window managers are so popular here?

You can set keyboard shortcuts with any DE and I doubt most of i3 users stay on tiling mode.

Attached: 1499197183742.jpg (580x619, 80K)

>I doubt most of i3 users stay on tiling mode.
Most people who use tiling WMs do it precisely because they always want tiling. It makes the most efficient use of your screen real estate. What are you gonna do, stare at your wallpaper through the cracks between windows?

Uses low ram so works toasters (only 80 MiB on my machine before adding a compositor). Ideal setup for laptops if you hate using the trackpad.

LMAO are you on crack. Where did you get that from? That is precisely the main reason why I use it, and why lot's of other people do.

>I doubt most of i3 users stay on tiling mode
why do you think this?
and assuming your idea is correct, why do you feel these users stick with i3?

lol what? Just because people in desktop threads put them to floating mode to show off their wallpaper doesn't mean we don't use tiling mode for everyday use.
I make extensive use of the tiling mode in i3 for software design, programming, and document writing.

you can do tiling on any de too btw

>> 66100152
get the fuck out of here, you don't even deserve a (You)

Tiling is great. It makes full use of your screen. For example, Gnome is too slow and it feels like 1/3 of my screen is a titlebar.

red nico worst girl

Attached: d74.png (448x468, 194K)

Are you tired of having carpal tunnel?
Do you keep moving your dominant hand between keyboard and mouse multiple times a minute?
Do you ever wish you could tile more than 4 windows at a time and vary their sizes?
Then a tiling window manager might be right for you.
Drop by your local bestbuy to have it installed for you - 30 day money back guarantee!

qt ruby

Y-You can turn off tilling mode in i3 ????????

Mod + Shift + Space will turn any window into a floating window.

>Imagine having all your windows in floating mode

Lightweight, customizable, sane defaults, already popular so actual add-ons and plugins for it are easy to find, and most users here use a laptop and trackpads are ass, so tiling WMs are good for that.

I'm pretty sure that most people who use tilling wms just do it to post prints on desktop threads and to impress normal fags.
i3 is like the arch linux of window managers.

That's probably the least ideal setup for a laptop. What's the point of tilling if your screen is that small?

>de requires wm
>wm doesn't require de

why you no speak english

>What's the point of tilling if your screen is that small?
This desu.

>move one window from workspace 4 to workspace 5, have all the windows on workspace 4 expand to fill the screen, have all the windows on workspace 5 shrink to accomodate the window you moved there
>move windows around vertically/horizontally within the same workspace
>resize one window, have the rest shrink/expand so the screen stays filled
>tell the wm whether to tile the next window vertically or horizontally
Can you really set up keyboard shortcuts to do all of that? You probably can, but sounds like it would be a major pain in the ass.

Actually, it's the main reason why you need tiling in the first place on a laptop.
And it's not like you'll have fifty windows at a time anyways
>window decorations can be removed at all
>no need to use a trackpad/point just to move windows
>automatically tiles windows instead of floating them around
>maximizes screen usage
>workspaces
>all of these done automatically or through the keyboard
What's more to ask?

is that ruby programming in ruby?

Second time I see someone posting Wooby that is not me! Wooby will conquer the world!
You is a cucked slot
And Nico is trash tier, don't compare her to mai waifu.

i3 is nice and very practical because i dont have to click so much when i want to go to another windows, i have all on screen i need. i3gaps is a meme, i dont get it.

>You can set keyboard shortcuts with any DE
It's a pain in the ass to do since all of them are bloated as shit and come with retarded defaults OOTB. You can't always customize them the way you want and even if you do, you'll end up having to use ugly workaround hacks everywhere which will take far more time and effort than if you simply started up from the bottom with a minimalistic window manager such as i3, bspwm, dwm, awesome, etc... All of which are pretty easy to learn to use.
Kek

Attached: LLSS_S1Ep4_191.png (1920x1080, 1.81M)

So that you get the most out of the small screen. If you still don't see the point, you're trolling.

They have to make things hard and unintuitive on purpose to consider themselves 1337.

>a two-key shortcut to launch your most used applications
>dmenu to run everything else
Wow so hard and unintuitive.

Internet hipster street cred
AwesomeWM is too mainstream for them, and works too well out of the box.
Virgin NEETs hate everything that just works.

Most people use DEs more than anything. I don't know why anyone would use i3. I like Awesome though.

I usually tile no more that three windows. Even on a 1366x768 laptop that's fine.

>what maximize + alt-tab
tiling WM is for brainlets who dont see the benefits of cascading windows

Attached: nothanks.jpg (693x693, 56K)

>alt-tab
>better than alt+workspace binds

You can bind keys very simply. get vim pilled then look into binding accurately, e.g. mod+1 workspace 1, shift+mode+2 move current window to workspace2

>Ruby
Found the pedo

I'm talking about replicating i3's features in a non-tiling wm/de.

What are the benefits of cascading windows?

>what is monocle layout in DWM

I use dwm and haven't posted in a desktop/screenfetch thread once. I have a 1366*768 thinkpad and dwm is perfect because 95% of the time, I keep all my windows maximized, so I don't need floating support anyway. I used to use xfce but managing workspaces on it, especially when varying the number of external monitors, was annoying me. Tiling wms are made for that kind of usage, so it's much more streamlined. And in the rare case when I want to have two windows on the same screen (e.g. a file manager and a PDF document that doesn't use the full width anyway), having the windows automatically tile is comfy.

>but muh alt-tab
Alt-tab requires multiple key presses to switch to most windows, plus that number varies all the time. A constant shortcut like Mod+5 is much nicer.

I didn't think I'd like it, but once I got used to it, and added a bunch of tweaks and polybar, I really enjoy it. It's hard going back to Windows now (I dual boot for work), and I'm constantly fucking up because I'm trying to use my i3 shortcuts.

Ok I open i3, where is my two-key shortcut?

You set it in your config file.

oh wow, just wow

>Why i3 and other tiling window managers are so popular here?
Because there's really no reason to display the vast majority of what you do on a computer in a mode other than tiling or full screen with a few rare exceptions (and it helps that those are also always displayed in front of everything even when you're using a window behind them), and going to a new workspace for every different task you're doing rather than just piling up a ton of windows in a single workspace just makes sense. When adjusting the size of windows on your computer, how often do you really find yourself wanting something other than full screen or efficiently viewing X number of windows at the same time? Really, the keyboard shortcuts for everything and low RAM usage are just the icing on the cake.

>I doubt most of i3 users stay on tilling mode.
Dumb Ruby poster.

I work as a translator.
99% of the time, I need my original text on the right and the translation on the left.
the x200's 16:10 screen displays 2 pages almost perfectly.
I don't need to wiggle my shit, once it opens, it's placed there.

Sure, these are dumb reasons, but I'm happy.

>alt-tabbing from original text to translation every 7 words
yeah, nah.

I use i3-gaps to get 1px borders between my windows
Normal borders would have result in 2px borders and 1px border with the screen edge

brainlet

You should buy a Mac.

You install i3 for the memes
You keep it because it works.

At least that's how it was for me.