Bought this yesterday, why is it so goddamn comfy to use?

Bought this yesterday, why is it so goddamn comfy to use?

Attached: 4L_RMuHFPr9.jpg (1300x1000, 88K)

It isn't comfy
You are Bad
You should FEEL bad

Attached: e6a.png (600x335, 203K)

I've been using one for couple of years not.
Maximum comfy

pajeet here

i just bought this AMAZING microsoft all natural mouse sourced with organic silicon

it is amazeballs. do the needful and buy one today, regret you will not.

Can you play Counter Strike: Source with it? No? Then

based apple

apple makes really high quality trackpads. if someone could pull together an apple trackpad and an old ibm thinkpad's keyboard into a laptop, i would pay untold sums of money.

It's really nice isn't it. Jow Forums can miss out on it for all I care so they can "hurr appletard durr" hope it makes them feel better knowing they have to use shit products just to hate on apple

>It's overpriced though

>using trackpad on desktop
are you sure on right board?

Where do technology illiterate appletoddlers get the false impression that they or their fruity toddler toys belong on Jow Forums?

What advantage does this have over a mouse?

Meh. I've just ordered picrel. Can't stand touchpads.

Attached: 3172755753_912a4bb7d0_z.jpg (640x480, 78K)

It's comfy because macOS is well-optimized for trackpad use, unlike Windows which until recently treated trackpads as a surrogate for mice. This is why Windows laptops evolved to feature gimmicky touchscreen gestures in place of good trackpads. Even now with the fraction of laptops that have "Precision" trackpads, Windows gestures are not nearly as smooth and natural as the Mac's.

And gestures are shit compared to good old shortcut, unless you're a 16yo girl

>uses apple
>uses the word "comfy"

retarded 12yo turd detected

ok

I find it much faster and easier to use four-finger trackpad gestures for Mission Control and Launchpad, instead of holding down Ctrl + . I guess I could change the keyboard shortcuts to something else but I don't really care since the trackpad gestures are good enough. Same with swiping from the right edge for Notification Center.

Also, no keyboard-controlled zooming will ever be better than pinch-to-zoom and two-finger smart zoom.

>Bought this yesterday, why is it so goddamn comfy to use?
Timestamp picture nao!

not the guy you replied to, but

while i agree with you about trackpad gestures being faster or more intuitive in some cases, i've given up trying to persuade people who take the tone that anyone who disagrees with them must be a "16yo girl" (which is maybe intentionally ironic because that's how adolescents text as far as i know).

just acknowledge their existence and then move on. if they were interested in having a conversation, they'd take a less acerbic stance at the outset.

honestly this is such a stupid trivial thing to lie about, if you don't believe them it doesn't matter, and if you do it doesn't matter.

it's not like he's saying he just came back from walking on the moon or something. this isn't that improbable.

Mouse is superior in ever single possible concievable way when sitting at a desk. You should legit consider suicide for being this retarded.

If the have it there literally no problem in posting a timestamped picture, otherwise they are shill.

I'm a windows user so
Ctrl-tab for app switch
Win-tab for Windows selection
Win-d for the desktop
Ctrl- scroll wheel for zooming

I just find all this way more precise and fast. When you talk to a computer you're giving logic commands, so why put yourself through an analogic interface? Sure on phone touchscreen is great, but phones are not computers, they're multimedia content players that happen to have the same architecture of computers.
Laptops and desktops are for computing and they need different interfaces for control and data input
I'm the guy you're referring to, here's a more accurate explanation

I don't know, everytime I pick up a MacBook for something that's not browsing I get confused cause for everything I do I must be careful with the movement of my fingers while all I should do is select buttons and giving data

Its a great trackpad, but at the end of the day, its still a trackpad. Why bother?

>When you talk to a computer you're giving logic commands, so why put yourself through an analogic interface?

Because humans have access to richer, more nuanced forms of sense and interaction than computers. Why are you using a graphical operating system at all if you're so single-mindedly focused on unfettered, machinelike efficiency?

Really it sounds more to me like you've never spent any extended period of time using and learning macOS with an Apple trackpad, and find it more convenient instead to pontificate with poorly-informed assumptions.

Yeah, probably, too bad the ticket for learning what the apple experience is is 1200€ and nobody never bothered explaining me why is so good
Think I'll pass

Literal stockholm syndrome. Mactoddlers have gotten so used to the taste of shit that they actually think it tastes good now.

I'm sorry that you're poor. Must suck being able to afford only shitty computers.

>recommending a product after only one day

Attached: 1.jpg (1440x952, 331K)

>nobody never bothered explaining me why is so good
It's not. MacBook Pro (old one) was my first laptop and I still can't stand the OS and how they want you to interact with it.
All the new "adwanced UX" boils down to some multi-fingered gestures that are all followed by compiz-level animations.

Touchpad is good but in no way spectacular. I see no real difference from my X1 Carbon's.

If you like all that, it's great. If you don't, it's at best annoying and frustrating.

>$1000 keyboard replacements

applel

>everytime I pick up a MacBook for something that's not browsing I get confused cause for everything I do I must be careful with the movement of my fingers while all I should do is select buttons and giving data
that's the effect of any new interface. i had been using windows for about 20 years, switched to a mac, and the learning period was about 2 weeks. after that i never thought about it.

as for the keyboard shortcuts, there are equivalent shortcuts for most of them:

- cmd tab => switches between programs
- cmd ` => switches between instances of a program
- ctrl (left|right) => switches between desktop spaces
- cmd h => hide the program
- ctrl scroll => zoom the desktop environment

these are slightly different mappings, but your muscle memory adapts quickly. it's more daunting than it is actually any sort of challenge.

i totally get the reluctance. i was extremely reluctant as well. but it really didn't take more than a week or two to be at or close to the proficiency that i was at before.

the issue with all of these shortcuts isn't the familiarity with the keystrokes itself, but knowing what the output effect is so you can look up what the corresponding shortcut is.

This.

>All the new "adwanced UX" boils down to some multi-fingered gestures that are all followed by compiz-level animations.

The animations follow the movement of your fingers on the trackpad. That's the entire point; it makes what you see on-screen feel directly connected to your input.

All these baby duck Windows users.

this looks exactly like the trackpad from logitech
though they stopped selling it
literally the only proper external trackpad for windows / linux
turns out nobody bought it

also, look at the design
looks familiar?
this came out when apple had the abhorrent abomination of an external trackpad

Attached: Logitech T650.jpg (670x420, 17K)

Can you do precise vector graphics editing for extended period of time with that thing?

Or play games?

Who asked for inconvenience of a laptop cursor controls on desktop? (I've owned a Macbook piece of shit(TM) before).

>Can you do precise vector graphics editing for extended period of time with that thing?

Sorry, I wasn't aware that only graphic designers use computers.

>Or play games?

Back to kiddo.

Don't forget
Cmd+x/c/v instead of Ctrl+x/c/v for cut/copy/paste
Cmd+backspace to move a file to trash
Enter instead of f2 to rename a file

Must suck to have to have fun of poor people in order to feel better and win an internet argument

Also I could buy one today if I want to, like a lot of people do, but I don't see the point of paying thousands of dollars in order to "feel connected to your input". I don't want to sound like a dick but that's not the point of hookers? And they're far cheaper.
I don't want to feel my computer, I want it to do stuff, the sooner the better. And i don't want the alternative that looks good and feels good, I want the alternative that makes me stay less time in front of the screen. That's why shortcuts are better.

yep. and since enter doesn't open a file the keystroke for opening the file is cmd+(down).

or maybe to be more precise, cmd-down goes down (and opens the file, if it's a file), and cmd-up goes up the directory tree.

there are other useful commands as well - spotlight (cmd-space) has been super reliable. and of course spacebar gives you quicklook, which is arguably a much faster way to preview images, animated gifs, even videos without having to open them.

in general, cmd in os x replaces ctrl (like with the cut/copy/paste example you gave). cmd-t to make a new tab; shift-cmd-t to unclose the tab you last closed, things like that.

oh, i'd argue that cmd-q is extremely useful: quits the active program. not just close that window (which is cmd-w), but quit the whole program in all its instances. don't leave it running in the background or anything.

there are lots of keyboard shortcuts in os x. if anything i'd argue it makes it harder to map new things without losing some pre-existing shortcut.

>the keystroke for opening the file is cmd+(down).

I think Cmd + O is the canonical shortcut for opening files, though Cmd + also makes sense once you can no longer drill down to another subfolder.

>"feel connected to your input".
an interface that follows your physical action is more intuitive and less cognitively taxing. there's no way that something like this will be individually taxing enough to be a problem by itself, but if you design an entire operating system with as little focus as windows has, you end up with a lot of these little cognitively taxing events that accumulate over time. it's death by a thousand cuts.

research into interface design moved on from the criterion of "do people accomplish task X faster with interface A or interface B" to a more comprehensive question involving that speed question and also cognitive load (using something like a NASA-TLX survey) something like 20 or 30 years ago.

>touchpad
fuck that gay shit
trackpoint a best

Keyboard shortcuts are far more prevalent in macOS than in Windows, which relies much more on mouse-clicking your way everywhere. It's also much easier to discover, learn, and customize shortcuts on the Mac.

look, i like the trackpoint too, but there's no way we're ever going to get a laptop with just a trackpoint. in this hypothetical, your options are

- keyboard, trackpoint, garbage trackpad
or
- keyboard, trackpoint, good trackpad

All those shortcuts also exist on macOS, though not the exact same keys, but they are changeable so you can set them up that way, plus you get decent touchpad gestures. What's your point?

seriously. when i got better snap tool to get back window snapping (a feature in windows that i still think os x should have copied wholesale like a decade ago), i realized there were painfully few keyboard shortcut setups that i could use that wouldn't be a hodgepodge of totally different shortcuts. i ended up using fn+ for a lot of things, but i think fn+ was originally something in os x, so i had to disable it or something. it might've just been some scrolling thing, which cmd+ does adequately for me.

>The animations follow the movement of your fingers on the trackpad. That's the entire point; it makes what you see on-screen feel directly connected to your input.
Glad you feel that way. I found it annoying as all hell. Slow, unnecessary, frustrating.

>All these baby duck Windows users.
Re-read again. My first laptop was MacBook.

>go back to /faggot/

>- keyboard, trackpoint, garbage trackpad but can be supplemented with a mouse
>or
>- complete total shit keyboard, trackpoint, good trackpad
Fixed.

>trackpoint a best
literally gimped trackball.

Windows has a shortcut for almost everything but I agree shit's getting worse since they switched to tablet interfaces
Not attacking macOS as a whole (that's for another episode), only the trackpad
That's why Mac users are all peaceful and relaxed people, and windows users are all living in a stressful world where your brain must tolerate the pain of remembering alt+f4. That's seriously something that can destroy someone's life

Or, you're just trying to deny the fact that an interface must be fast, cause once you're over the learning curve you're never going to experience stress. Human brain is really flexible and it has been proved that it can easily adapt to all kind of media and interfaces, the one that takes more steps and more time is always going to lose in the long run. from my experience simple and good looking interfaces are always a pain in the ass after some time of usage cause they limit me as a power user, I just want to cut corners, not looking at good animations

Trackpads, no matter how large, have always been pure suffering when compared to standard mine, trackballs, or trackpoints.

There's no reason to attack the touchpad. Or do you just personally dislike touch/trackpads as a whole? If so, stop being so autistic, the more choices people have to interact with their computers the better. Use what you find the most comfortable or productive.

I don't like the hardware interface Apple chose and I don't like their gesture concept. the internet must know

The presence of trackpad gestures doesn't nullify their equivalent keyboard shortcuts, and vice versa. It's possible to have both at the same time. Personally, unless I'm typing out something, I probably have one hand on the trackpad, in which case it's much faster for me to use gestures when applicable, than to re-position my other hand (or both hands) to reach the shortcut keys. Everyone has their own way of working, but unless you are a graphic designer who requires extremely precise cursor movement (in which case you should be using a stylus anyway), then a *good* trackpad backed by *good* software support will probably beat out a mouse. (It's important to include those caveats because Windows has historically had poor trackpad support, even now.)

>That's seriously something that can destroy someone's life
i already addressed the melodramatic kneejerk response. if you didn't get that far i'd encourage you to take another swing at reading the post.

>will probably beat out a mouse
This is the actual state of appletard delusion.

>the one that takes more steps and more time is always going to lose in the long run. from my experience simple and good looking interfaces are always a pain in the ass after some time of usage cause they limit me as a power user, I just want to cut corners, not looking at good animations
That's great, but there's a whole field of research into human-computer interaction, so we're not exactly in the market for anecdotes.

And yet they are so good even Microsoft attempts to integrate them into their trackpad support. Which has been horrendous for ages. Their precision trackpads are going in the right direction, but Apple holds patents for the force touch (allowing you to be able to click down anywhere on the touchpad) + haptic feedback, so they'll never become as good until those patents expire or they find a better way to incorporate trackpads.

>That's great, but there's a whole field of research into human-computer interaction, so we're not exactly in the market for anecdotes.
This. Macfags are literally onions chugging cucks that will do, say, shill, and buy anything to bend over harder.

Attached: trackshitbtfo.png (793x993, 449K)

So explain to me what the goals of those research are, if speed isn't.
Better final result? How's that calculated? Better speed in the overall project? What are the project's specification?
I know anecdotes can't beat science but you're not quoting science, you're saying that science says Macs are better cause reasons.
>Speed isn't everything says science
Then what is?
All I hear from Mac users is "my mac is better" but they fail to explain what is better if my pc does the same thing in the same or less time in my hands. Which is worse than a personal story, is a personal story without a content

Not everyone just plays video games, user.
A mouse offers:
- left + right clicking
- vertical scrolling
- middle click (some models)
- more depending on what mouse

A touchpad offers:
- left + right clicking
- scrolling vertically and horizontally
- dictionary lookup + quicklook
- previous/next page
- show desktop
- show exposé
- show all app windows
- show all apps
- show notification center
- draw signatures
- more depending on the software

This list clearly shows that on average you can do more with a touchpad than just with a regular mouse.

Of course there are shortcuts, but those exist regardless of pointer input device.

Maccucks will defend this.

the only thing that apple does objectively better than anyone else, without question, is the trackpad. Apple trackpads are maximum comfy

Forgot to add that a touchpad also offers:
- zooming in and out of pages

could you click down anywhere on it? Or were it just two giant buttons?

Web pages, images, documents, really anything that can be zoomed. Also rotating objects in Preview, and you can four-finger swipe between multiple desktops.

>all those bullshit crutches to get around the abortion of a UI apple bolted onto their toyOS
>half of them are one click functions in other OSes but are just straight up hidden in fagOS
No wonder mactoddlers circlejerk it to their trackshit constantly. FagOS is literally unusable with normal input devices.

Both Windows and GNU/Linux DEs have the same UI elements and philosophies. You're literally just saying using DEs are shit.

This.

>Apple holds patents for ...haptic feedback
How does Steam Controller has it then?

>half of them are one click functions in other OSes

As they are in macOS, but unlike with Windows, you have more than one or two ways of accessing those functions (mouse click, keyboard shortcut, *and* trackpad gesture).

Haptic feedback on such touchpads, not just any kind of touchpad.

GOMS was the standard for a while, but people realized that GOMS didn't account for cognitive load and fatigue. Being able to accomplish a task in a narrow slice of time is fine for studies but doesn't capture the entire lifespan of the person's interaction with things.

To give an extreme example, if you have to be utterly focused with your knuckles clenched in anticipation of the next interaction, but that interaction took you 5 seconds to accomplish some task, that wouldn't necessarily be better than an interface that took a minute (or 5 minutes) but that you could do without getting stressed out.

There are lots of things that affect cognitive load. It might be that the task requires a substantial amount of focus, but it could be that the things you have to do don't conform to a mental model the user has in their head. You could probably rearrange all of the selectable items in the top menubar of applications (File, Edit, View, etc...) so that the most commonly accessed actions are reachable in fewer clicks, but if that meant splitting up things like Cut, Copy, and Paste, it would be more cognitively taxing.

You could argue that it would be faster to say ctrl+c or ctrl+x should be copy and cut, but that shift+ctrl+c and shift+ctrl+x should paste whatever you copied or cut, correspondingly. It would be faster to go between pressing shift and not pressing shift than it would be to switch between one key and another. You would even get two functional, independent clipboards, which could be useful. But it would be cognitively taxing to keep track of the two clipboards' contents, and it'd get obnoxious on a sheerly physical level to have to hold several keys to paste.

That's just an example off the top of my head. The point is there are design opportunities that might be doable in fewer milliseconds, but that single criterion fails to capture the whole picture, which matters when you're using a computer for longer than the duration of a laboratory study.

>on such touchpads
Ok. That's way less interesting.

>You're literally just saying using DEs are shit.
Not him, but I agree. Though some (for me it's the one from Mac OS) are worse.
Honestly, I dislike how slow everything is.

Oh yeah and hot corners.

And they can all be customized.

Windows is gimped kiddie trash compared to literally anything else.

>mactoddler calling other os gimped trash
>while jerking it to a feature stolen from that "gimped trash"
Fucking kek. You're just embarassing yourself at this point mackiddie.

>trackpads

Even on laptops why would you do this to yourself.

Attached: 384485467778842634.png (112x105, 7K)

I had to read what GOMS is and I ended my train trip so I won't stay in this conversation for lot longer, anyway you can't say that cognitive load is all either. In the example of the 2 clipboards of course a few people would use them for 2 reasons, first because it's time consuming and second because that's not what the clipboard is designed to do. The clipboard is designed to small operations involving a simple data sharing, for things more complex you can just save things in a file. But we're getting out of the point, let me give you (another) anecdote.
I think one of the most successful interfaces out there is Blender's. Blender has an interface completely different from everything else, it's clear that they wrote it down while high. For this reason it has an incredibly high learning curve, the first time it took me months of casual work to really understand it. But once you're familiar with easy commands, everything in the interface works in the same way and if you find yourself in a strange place of the UI you can just guess what you have to do and it will work. And that's clearly something not designed with a natural approach in mind, they just thought "well, this programs is about moving stuff, and placing keys, let's do everything like that" and it works perfectly well
I can't say the same with "natural interfaces" because if I'm used to communicate to the computer with clicks, shortcuts and input from the keyboard why should I think that dragging my 3 fingers in a precise way does a certain things? That's stressing for me

That's what I was saying about the brain, it is really versatile and often the fastest way is just the best one, you don't need to think about how we interface with the world phisically, cause we're used to do stuff with logic and even if it works to higher level it can work just as well without fatigue

Animations can be sped up with a plist edit.

>Animations can be sped up with a plist edit.
Can I completely disable them all?

Also, what's plist?

If animations trigger your autism that badly, perhaps you should consider not using a graphical OS at all.

I used one for five years and loved it. Last year I replaced it with a trackball and threw the trackpad on the other side of the keyboard for gestures.

>sponsored content is a trivial thing
get the fuck off my board you shill

plists are XML config files for OS X software

Looks like a regular table to me. As far as I know, they all offer the same level of comfyness.

I've had the predecessor of that and it's ultimate trash. Shit drivers, bad to no gesture support and a fucking plastic surface.
Could sell it for the buying price though, so I don't mind.

I used to think the exact same way, haven't touched an external mouse in almost a year since buying a macbook, but then I got an Mx Ergo.
While I'm not as precise with the thumb ball as I am with the trackpad for snap movements, the gesture buttons are absolutely amazing, highly recommend
Still have to give in to the zooming, can't get any smoother than pinch-zoom

So the answer is "No"? Good to know.
>autism
Should have known that having ability to change the system according to your liking is autism for Apple fanboys.

>plists are XML config files for OS X software
"It just works". But thanks for the explanation.

Real question, does windows precision touchpad (drivers) on a decent trackpad (new razer) get anywhere close to apple's track pad and is there anything similar to loonix distros?

t. switching from mid 2012 mac to maybe razer 2018

>"It just works".
It does, and if you want it to just werk differently then you can edit a plist

The real truth.
Applel designs their cuckOS around gesture shit while crippling other input methods.

>then you can edit a plist
Why should I edit XML for basic customization?
That's worse than most Linux WMs.

No and no. Precision trackpads are definitely a step in the right direction but they’re still inferior to macOS.

You shouldn't, you do it for advanced ones. And it's not like you need to use a text editor; that's what defaults is for.

The real answer is since you won't be using cuckOS that hides basic functionality behind gestures, the trackpad's value drops to zero.

>Turn animations off
>advanced one
Ok.
But once again, why is there no GUI settings for that? It's a basic freaking option.

Because 99% of users don’t get triggered by UI animations.