Redpill me on dark themes on LCD screens and battery life

I've found a lot of conflicting information on this topic on the internet. Some people say that dark themes don't affect battery life at all, some say that they do, others say that they do but only if pixels are completely black and not if they're dark grey (but I think this would be the case only for AMOLEDs and the person who said that got confused). Which one is it, Jow Forums?

Attached: night-mode-hero-5x.jpg (800x600, 84K)

All the pixels are in use anyway just use lower brightness

Dark themes reduce batt usage on oled displays.
It's snakeoil on a normal lcd.

>It's snakeoil on a normal lcd.
It's better for your eyes though.

Not it isn't. Having your brightness too high in a dark room will stress your eyes, but just looking at white surfaces when ambient lighting is good isn't harmful.

When did I say anything about brightness being too high? And no, dark themes with low contrast are better for your eyes, AT LOW BRIGHTNESS.

On an LCD with a backlight for the entire display, use whatever the fuck you want, the brightness of the backlight is where the main power draw is happening. The pixels on an LCD are always *ON* regardless - in fact, a pure white display on an LCD is using less power because pure black means the pixels are drawing the most power to be dark - the way an LCD works is it's like a shutter that allows the backlight "light" to pass through the liquid crystal material. If you "shutter" or blind the liquid crystal by making it black, that means it's using more power.

On an OLED display of any kind, each pixel can be and is individually on or off depending on the needs of the content being displayed. Purely off = no power drain at all and as you go through the colors from black to white you draw more and more power till white which is maximum per pixel power draw, then you add the brightness level on top of that per pixel to determine the full power requirements.

tl;dr On an LCD pure white uses less power than pure black; on an OLED pure white uses more power than pure black.

It's not that tough to grasp, really.

>redpill me
lol fuck yourself, faggot

This may just be my experience, but I find bright themes better on the eyes in a well lit room, and dark themes better on the eyes in a poorly lit room.

It costs more energy to display white pixels, so turning your brightness down with a dark them will increase battery life but the energy saved through the dark theme is far less then just turning your brightness down

there's probably something about how our eyes are better developed for seeing specular lights (ie light text on dark background) in the dark, because it's similar to looking at stars (not THAT similar, but you know, more similar than seeing a rectangle of light surrounded by blackness)

>redpill me
what does this even mean? i don't follow gen Z lingo. is it a total recall reference?

Attached: total-recall-red-pill1.jpg (613x380, 46K)

Apparently it's a Matrix reference? Not sure, probably most people who use it don't know either by now.

it's a matrix thing. the scene where morpheus says neo can take the blue pill and go back to his normal life or take the red pill and get exposed to how reality really is.

it got taken up by incels and pepes and the like so that they could all feel like they were some superior form of human beings when they got "redpilled" about the truth behind why women don't like nervous sweaty fatsos.

red pill = enlighten me

dont look any deeper

Not knowing the origin, but using this expression, is quite shit. I can't be this much of a filthy redditor. I'd rather not use it at all.

>redpill
anyway, dark themes are only going to save battery if you have an OLED display and the pixels are actually black. On any other type of screen the pixels will be lit up no matter what color they are displaying so it doesn't matter. As people have mentioned, only brightness has any impact on battery life.

it's not "better for your eyes." It's only better if you are in a dark environment, but since many apps/websites have white backgrounds by default you will inevitable run into flashes of white on your screen that irritate your eyes.
The best thing to do is to just browse with the lights on and normal white theme.

>This may just be my experience
it's not. It's everyone's experience, because seeing a light theme in a dark room is heavy contrast and will pain your eyes.

originally a matrix reference but most of the people using it today probably think red refers to 'right wing' and so they use it in that context. Seeing someone use it today is usually a pretty quick indicator they are a moron.

A the very most it will heat up a little more, since the light is trapped.
This could be better for battery life in cold weather.

>OLED display and the pixels are actually black.

A dark gray OLED pixel also consumes less power than a bright white OLED pixel.
Black is obviously best but any dark theme would consume less power than any bright theme.

it's the outcome of masturbatory fantasies of basement-dwelling losers who desperately want to feel like the shit they talk about is important. they're not just talking about whether dark themes are easier on their delicate eyes, they're "getting redpilled on" dark themes.

Black on LCD will have the same power output as any other pixel variation.

It's AMOLED displays that improve battery/performance; reserving pixels only in demand of colour.

Note: It's designed for "AMOLED" themes, which are usually pure black, not "dark" i.e. using greys.

Correction; greys do still consume less power on OLED.
Citation: OLED display can't keep getting away with this.

>tfw not green

Dark themes are better for my comfy.

>follow gen Z lingo
>Matrix
>Gen Z
mate. People have been saying this for over 10 years now. Back when every 'edgy' retard was pushing 'Ron Paul money bombs' in '07 ez.
(sadly, i was one of these assholes :/ )

Attached: Ok.png (1920x1080, 860K)

If your screen is AMOLED and it displays pure black, you may save 0.0001% of your battery.

Attached: lg1jcc67ca001.png (641x729, 42K)

By not knowing the origin, you've already exposed yourself as a filthy redditor

makes no difference on LCD

You talk about it like you clearly knew what it was.
You seem to have an odd interest in something that isn't esoteric or important at all. You could have googled it.

You want replies. Source is me; I do it all the time.

>muh battrey
>muh amuhleds
I use dark themes because it prevents me from going blind in my 40's you fucking retards

No one gives a shit about your eyes. This thread is about battery life and displays.

No one gives a shit about your gay ass fucking OLED screens on your botfuck chinese Google shitphone relative to your battery life

This thread is pretty much useless, should be deleted, and you in particular should kill yourself and not tell anybody about it

Jesus Christ... How did a simple reply enraged you this much? Not even the same poster.