Refrigeration is technology too right?

Refrigeration is technology too right?

I just scored one of these at a thrift shop for $50. It needs a bit of cleanup but otherwise they say it works fine.

Attached: IMG_5502.jpg (1512x2016, 593K)

I like the interior setup. The freezer is like some more modern mini ridges but much more robust.

Attached: IMG_5503.jpg (1512x2016, 641K)

Its gonna need some interior attention. Clearing the light rust at some edges and reapplying the blue trim coatings.

Attached: IMG_5504.jpg (1512x2016, 716K)

Check the bottom for a roach nest before you bring it home.

Based on the model and some research it looks like its roughly from 1956. It can't be seen in the pic but behind the grey backing the old insulation is mostly rotted away. I'm going to look into a replacement while refurbishing the refrigeration components that need work. I don't intend to open anything up on the coolant lines though unless things go sour on the cooling aspect.

Attached: IMG_5505.jpg (1512x2016, 684K)

Already did. All seems OK.

Also in the research, seems Kelvinator merged with Nash motors prior to this being made. Hence...

Attached: IMG_5506.jpg (2016x1512, 589K)

So one issue is that the seal is shot. Granted it is likely great for the fact that the unit is from 1956 or so but if I want to use it full time I need a better option.

Attached: IMG_5508.jpg (1512x2016, 485K)

Seen stupid shit like this on pawn stars where they restore it and sell for like 5 grand, call rick

Please do use it. I love seeing user's power bills sending them into poverty.

Enjoy spending $50 a month on electricity for an old shitty fridge with shot seals

Granted. I just want to fix it up and use it.
Honestly I plan to hook up a monitor to both this guy and my normal one and see just what the diff is. This isn't just an exercise in fun, but curiosity.

Attached: IMG_5509.jpg (2016x1512, 407K)

> reading

Adding an energy efficient compressor would do the trick. Old fridges bring good past times. :)

old refrigerators are energy inefficient, more likely to break down due to wear and tear, and that fridge looks tiny

are you just a hipster?

No, its about 3/4 the size of a typical one, and it's going in my garage where I work on this (hipsters can't afford this...just idiots).

Attached: IMG_5431.jpg (2016x1512, 671K)

OP, retro appliances are really popular and there is a lot of companies starting to make parts for them. There is typically "modernization" kits you can buy that come with new seals, energy efficient compressors, new wiring, etc. Check eBay and Amazon typically.

Jow Forums certified toaster

On a serious note, i'm glad for you OP

Why am I jealous of you OP?

Don't be. It's just a hobby. You can have a hobby too.

Most hobbies don't try and murder you though so be warned.

Attached: camerafun2b.jpg (1024x768, 207K)

What the smeg

Attached: dave-lister-red-dwarf-space-flu-craig-charles.jpg (150x158, 6K)

second this

You better post the fridge after you fix it and cleaned it up OP interested in old shit as well.

Less energy efficient, true... More likely to break? I doubt it. A family friend has a hunting lodge built around 1960 and the fridge there is the same General Electric model they put in when it was built. Fuckin' thing works great and actually froze a few of my eggs once because I put the carton too close to the ice box.

he has a delorean

I'll see what I can do. I admit the car's transmission work might eat up a lot of time once the replacement shows up.

Looks good OP. I hope you can fix the seals so it's fully working. Enjoy your tech from a time before planned obsolescence was the norm.

>no fun allowed
Not everyone is yuropoor and has to sell one of their children to the electric company every e

> more likely to break down due to wear and tear
You don’t know what you’re talking about, kid.

Attached: image.jpg (645x792, 274K)

You have the label with volts and amps, only basic math is required.

The energy efficiency of an old fridge will be so horrifically low that you'd spend more on electricity running it than you'd save from just not buying a new one.

Tell me, were you dropped on your head as a child?

Well that's not out of question, but also not the point. Part of the fun is using it as intended. I'll let everyone know once I can test it.

On a split question, any suggestions for a nice clear blue tint coating? I'm thinking of just mixing a clear/blue enamel myself but it would be easier if one just existed in the same basic tint as in and the logo.

Attached: IMG_5511.jpg (1512x2016, 409K)

bump

Never trust "labels", """4gb"""

>are you a hipster
>no
>posts pictures of DeLorean in garage
Uhhhh okay

uhhh fucking disgusting.

>paying money for trash

DeLoreans are neat cars and so long as he doesn’t try to turn it into a BTTF replica it hasn’t entered hipster territory.

Don't let the naysayers fervour down OP, that fridge is 100% A E S T H E T I C and I would love to own one for a garage, bar, or club. Like some other anons have mentioned modernization kits exist and insulation can be replaced. I'm sure that fridge is more solid that any of the botnet crap built these days.

Are you trying to go back to 1956 to get spare parts for your fridge?

Fervour should be "keep you down" what the fuck auto-correct.

Keep on truckin OP.

>more likely to break down due to wear and tear
My grandparents have a fridge from 1947 in their basement. It's been down there since the 60s and it's still chugging along, stopping only when there's a power outage.

Meanwhile their 2001 fridge has been pulled away from the wall four times for repairs.

oh wow that's a good camera

>modernization kits
Sounds like he'd be trading efficiency for reliability. OP seems to be a wealthy American so the extra cost of electricity shouldn't be an issue for him.

nice op, what os does it run?

Attached: 1517873500810.png (224x309, 115K)

Have a (you), for making me laugh.

jej

Attached: lol.jpg (1000x700, 399K)

This so much. But if energy bills aren't a problem go for it.

>lets play hide and seek user

Attached: new fridge yall.jpg (1100x617, 46K)

>It needs a bit of cleanup but otherwise they say it works fine.
enjoy having a shit tier fridge that is inefficient and looks like the owner is a hipster cuckold who enjoys onions and watching his "partner" get porked by a black man.

considering fridges now come with touch screens and wifi it looks like you've gotten yourself nice legacy hardware

its not going to be such a power hog that you wont use it. but its not going to insulate as well as a newer fridge for sure. its gonna be loud but a garage fridge imho should be loud. sweet find bro I'd be painting the whole thing powder blue

DeLoreans are terrible cars outside the aesthetic.
They're slow, heavy, can't corner and aren't reliable.

Also stainless steel isn't as stainless as its name would suggest.

best post ITT

kek

> american-made hardware
> shit-tier
> doesn’t have an opinion that can be expressed without memes
Found the hipster sòyboy

I think anyone who knows what they’re doing replaces the engine. I’ve heard Northstars were popular. But yeah, in the end it’s about looks but it’s a damn fine looking car.

>american-made hardware
definition of shit tier.

Stay mad.

facts mate. fact.

American manufacturing declined in the late 70’s. Anything before that could’ve survived nuking.