Which email client? How the fuck do I email as a heavy user?

My issue is simple.
> use Thunderbird for quite a while
> have ~10 accounts
> mailboxes keep growing
> as limits get raised by providers, more and more data/attachment comes in
> Thunderbird is now FUCK SLOW, takes minutes to load at times
> 50GB profile folder already

Now...
- I know if I don't have a local copy, and the server gets 'removed', I lost my mails. But, if the server deletes my mail by a mistake or whatever, my Thunderbird would also remove the local ones. So by no means this is a proper backup.
- Mostly looking for a client that can search through letters (somehow index them? IMAP search?), but does not keep EVERYTHING locally...

Also....
Is there a good email backup service? Thinking of some tool, or service that would download my shit, and upload it to Backblaze B2 for example. I thought about "online email archival" but I cannot see how one could use that effectively. And I bet it also costs a shitton of money.

Attached: gmail-logo-100050086-large.jpg (580x388, 13K)

Your issue really is simple. You're hoarding emails. Stop hoarding emails.

Time to get a SSD

Well I found the setting in Thunderbird to make it only sync 30 days, wondering how email index will function from now on.

But I still want to do a backup of my emails. Found "offlineImap" for now, I wonder if that downloads everything, .tar.xz them, and then put it up to Backblaze B2...

> hoarding
Not really, I even delete the useless ones every once in a while. It's mostly customers emails and shit that I don't really want to get rid off. Like hell yeah, I can just mow shit down, and then 2 years later, "hey, you know that email.." of course I fucking know.

I have two. But wasting 50 (and 100, 200, 300 in a year) sucks. Sadly the SSD boom we all waited for never really happened, and prices are still sky high. If we would have the predicted 500-1000GB size now for the 120-250price, this would be an option. (I have 2x240 but dev tools and other tools take up a lot.)

I started using Novell's Evolution some years ago and didn't look back.
Thunderbird is fine too, specially now that version 60 is coming out.

You shouldn't be just losing mails like this, that's not normal. Check your configuration, are you sure you are not using POP3?
IFAIK you can choose how old mails the client is synching.
Just extract your email, compress, encrypt (you could use 7z to do both) and trow in your cloud of preference.

probably nothing. the alternatives are even worse

For backup: MailStoreHome.

For a good client, i dont know.

Thank you, sounds great! Thought people would recommend some CLI tool, but I have a dedicated 2016 server so I will just try to put it there, then archive + upload from there.

> Evolution
Will check out, how it behaves on Windows.
I also used Claws and Sylpheed on Linux for quite some time, but somehow Thunderbird just grew on me.

> You shouldn't be just losing mails like this, that's not normal
I am not losing, it downloads every email and keep it on all computers. And it just grows and grows. I did not lose mails yet ever ([knocking on wood intensifies]). I just cannot keep up with the grow, and would love to have them backed up.

> IFAIK you can choose how old mails the client is synching.
Yeah now did that, but it did not delete anything, now I have to find which folders keep the mails so I can make TB only download the past 30 days.

>Which email client?
None. I use the fastmail web interface and 100% with it.

File > Compact folders

> If we would have the predicted 500-1000GB size now for the 120-250price, this would be an option.
I recently bought a 930GB ("""1 TB""") for just about $250 (£200 to be precise)

buy a tape and optical drive, download everything, copy to tape and dvd/bd, place in airtight container, bury in back garden or in the middle of a roundabout.

Yeah it works if you have one email account, but you cannot use one if you have a business or anything...

Did that just now (to force Thunderbird to honor my new settings for 30 days sync), "Saved 30MB" lmao.

My point is, is it a "good use" of SSDs? Like putting the OS, work and dev tools, VMs to SSD - I see the point in that. But email where 90% is just cold storage? I don't know man.

>10 accounts
>not hoarding, mostly customer email and shit
>50GB
This really shouldn't add up even on a 10 year scale if your customers and you aren't abusing email for file transfer and storage. Since it might concern you, let me tell you something. Unencrypted emails are postcards. HTML emails are unfixable security holes. They cannot be made secure. Please don't expose your customers to security risks. Remove emails from your server. Make backups with the tools the guys mentioned and clear your mail folders. Google and their consorts made tremendous efforts to make people not delete their mail in order to keep those accessible for data mining. This led to bad practice. Don't fall for that mindset. Treat your mail box like a mail box.

what could a html email do if remote content is not allowed? its disabled by default in thunderbird

Not every person on the planet is using Thunderbird.

Any decent client and even webclients will have the same default

Yes, and most people do not use 'decent' clients, or would even know what makes a client decent enough to use. Are you responsible for them? Of course not. Should everyone, including you and me aim higher in order to increase security for everyone? I think so, and that's my point.

>select all
>move to trash bin
then in trash bin
>select all
>delete permanently
there, you are free

Mailpile
a
i
l
p
i
l
e

Attached: 1525736201729.png (1214x1109, 1.65M)

claws