Why are forums dying, Jow Forums? Can we do something about it?

Why are forums dying, Jow Forums? Can we do something about it?

Attached: PhpBB2-defaultinst.png (800x600, 55K)

Communities have migrated to social media, YouTube, Twitch, and Discord.

Can we? Probably. Should we?

No one cares about forums anymore when you have subreddits and discord.

Attached: GddRPFz.jpg (2184x2912, 698K)

>primitive email evolves into bulletin board systems
>bulletin board systems evolve into forums
>forums evolve into social media
The real work here is guessing what social media is going to evolve into

Not really

its just new internet users are in their containment zones ((((((social media)))))))

Yes.
And don't forget the attention span of young people. They don't want to be a member of some forum for months or even years. And they type short stuff on their telephones, they're not gonna browse a forum on a phone.

And this, specialized forums vs reddit which has everything.

Cancer?

...HIVEMIND?

>[YOU MUST BE REGISTERED TO VIEW LINKS]
>NEW MEMBERS CANNOT CREATE NEW THREADS
>NEW MEMBERS CANNOT POST LINKS
>PLEASE WAIT 30 SECONDS BETWEEN SEARCHES
>Closed thread, use the search function next time
>Don't bump old threads

most forums were bad anyway. try searching for a useful answer to a problem, 99% of all times your results are part of some garbage forum which consists of clueless retards that want to be included in a discussion they actually have no clue of and can't provide help with.

shit is being replaced by other shit - what a surprise

The fucking necroposting triggers me the most. Auto-lock the fucking threads or delete them then.

why?
>see old post asking for something I've been able to solve
>want to post to help people who stumble upon the same thread when searching because its the first indexed result
>thread locked

Then you get banned because mod with a stick up his ass cites the necroposting rule. You actually used forums before?

why the fuck do you want to save bulletin board forums? they're the clunkiest, shittiest form of communication there is

fuck that, imageboards are the masterrace.

Attached: 1517876153138.jpg (747x478, 69K)

image boards

Moderation and avatarfagging provide nothing but issues. Even the janitors cause more problems than they solve.

my old ocau forum is still pretty active but thats mainly because we're all autists and the swap and sell is based

literally because google seach algo puts them in the back since 2016(?)

Attached: 1508372549236.jpg (936x646, 313K)

Makes sense.
Text data is easy to steal and manipulate because it's just simple text.
Data stored as raster text in an image is still certainly machine parsable, but it takes significantly greater effort.
What would an image-only forum board be like?

How can we get rid of Discord?

It's not even that popular, it'll die eventually.

I migrated from forums to IB for many reasons.

>IB does not enforces register and signing to participate.
>I don't need to remember another more password to sign in.
>My data don't get compromised if the site is hacked.
>I'm not forced to be nice to others if i don't want.
>I can comment and leave, don't need to keep a chat if someone answer me.
>No need to participate if someone cite or call me.

Love the experience so far.

GDPR

Forums are still ok in niche cases.
Something about categories, boards, sub boards, threads that image boards and social media just aren't good for.

It's a shame really. Oldschool forums were usually a lot better moderated than the social media shitheap we have today.

What are you talking about? It has gotten super popular and it's hard to kill it.

What's wrong with necroposting? I never really got why it's always banned

>Ugh do you know how old second amendment is? We must get rid of it! Stop necrofreedom!

Maybe in Japan, but imageboards are a relic in the west. The only ones I can think of that get daily posts are nazichan, the krautchan diaspora boards and the sushichan webring

So say I had a relatively obscure bug, and I find a thread with users of the same issue and say I have a new insight or a solution, why is necroposting bad in this situation?

>It has gotten super popular
Between gamers, normies are still on facebook and maybe reddit

Forums are dying because they're not a particularly efficient facilitator of discussion, generally speaking. Forums are still very much alive in communities where discussion regularly covers a variety of topics simultaneously, but they just don't make sense to use if the community is only discussing 2-3 things at a time.

Social media and similar services (facebook, twitter, slack, discord, etc) offer tailor-made solutions that you can pick from based on your community's needs. Forums are kind of a "one size fits all" solution that works for everything, but doesn't work perfectly for anything.

I have a folder of those fucking smileys

anonymous anime imageboards

I don't know, it's driving me nuts.
There's things like phones that can ring the alarm when being turned off (they have a real time clock connected to the power button or unload everything except the kernel). As phones come out year after year and not withing hours, the _few_ threads about these get closed because "hurr muh necroposting I have 100k posts on this forum that must mean I'm right".

I'm insanely mad about this particular example.

Stackoverflow, r*ddit etc...

Avatars and signatures for patricians only

I have a cringe compilation of smileys

Is there any forum that’s culturally relevant anymore? Like, is Something Awful still active?

But Discord has channel categories too.

just no discussion search engine, google dont cover it well

My country has a local all subject forum with almost a million users and the population is below 10 million people with almost a million posts per day and there's a competitor who's a bit behind, here at least it isn't really dying.

What country are you from?

Because they're not dynamic enough.

RPGCodex is the only forum that matters.

FB?

because women infiltrated them and broke aaprt the exclusive male spaces. same thing is happening to social media at a much accelerated rate

Not Facebook.
Not really a western country, some shithole.

BBS kind of evolved into chatrooms/IM (i.e; ICQ/MSN/Yahoo, etc) and then that evolved into social media. No normies ever used forums.

That isn't really a problem inherent in forums, it's just a sign of shitty people coming into power.

>tfw barely got to experience Web 1.0
>tfw still had dialup until 2008
>tfw nobody uses dedicated chat software anymore
SaaS is the biggest, worst tech meme right now. People don't even use Skype or ICQ anymore (i.e. proprietary chat programs); if they did, you might be able to convince them to migrate to a free alternative. No, instead they use a browser to access some server with horrendous terms of use running proprietary software in another country which offers facebook integration. I fucking hate it. The only thing that comes close is whatsapp, which itself is fucking silly IMO -- it can be easily replaced by using things we've had for decades: telephone calls, text messages, email. Smartphones already have apps for these things, you don't even need to install a new one. Most providers even have very reasonable offers for these services since hardly anyone uses them anymore. 15 years ago having a landline phone flatrate was almost unthinkable, now no normal person has to worry about having to pay extra unless they call someone out of the country.

I met my wife ~14 years ago on a phpbb forum (married 5 years this August)

Attached: lain.png (1176x1080, 533K)

No, they aren't dying. In fact Jow Forums and reddit are getting more popular and they host many forums.

Come up with an appealing alternative, I suppose.

My condolences.

All I want is that forums will return. What makes them hard to approach for people that uses social media and Discord? Could always start from there.

Thailand, land of the royalist junta?

my life ended when myspace & msn died and my preferred forum faded out. contact with anyone ceased, and i couldn't pluck up the courage to regain contact with old (face-to-face) friends. now it's virtually impossible to do that, many people wouldn't remember me.

fuck it all.

are you doing something nice for the anniversary user??

idk, no plans yet, we're usually pretty low-key about holidays and anniversaries, for her birthday last month all she wanted was to spend the day with me, so maybe something like that and gifts, again which I have no plans for.

>What's wrong with necroposting
I don't understand either. As long as its not a useless bump and a constructive post. I think a reason why forums died is because all of the idiotic rules that can lead to bans and how uptight and serious the mods could get.

What was the forum about????????

I'm here because I dislike the west's take on message boards. I have no desire to save these sites

yeah, just an opportunity for a mod to power-trip.

Forums, btw:

>Britneyfan1488
>seizure_inducing_user_avatar.gif
>joined 04-20-2003
>***** Veiny Power Member
>stupid quote from another forum member (insiders' joke)
>Actual message: ' lol u tk him 2da bar|?'
>5 line signature with linked images

Modest Mouse. Haven't listened to them in years, but it was right around when Moon & Antarctica came out I think.

good times

Forums need to standardize on XML not HTML. Then you'll see rich clients flourish with none of the browser baggage.

This
The internal desire of people to rule over some other group of people has been transferred online and acts as a substitute for the incapability of some people to do it irl.

Each level introduces more centralization.

Nobody wants to build applications that consume XML

I still lurk on SA. But yes, the majority of users have left the forums to join Discord, YouTube, and Twitch communities.

OP's image is bringing up some bad memories from when I was 13

Also curious about this.

Lol'd @ that image.

Ya fucking google algos. Search for some diseases and at least 50% of the top 20 pages are shitty organic fraud websites.

Calm down there Incel, both women and men nowadays are hypersocialized and responsible for the shit that is social media.

>"tfw nobody uses dedicated chat software anymore"
Ah, the good old days of sharing child p- I mean funny images on MSN.

rocket.chat or something

What ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?

People bring up reddit a lot and while it did accelerate the process it started becoming huge around 2014 and forums were pretty much dead at that point already. I think facebook groups started the whole thing years before that.

Forums are dying because people are manipulating themselves through social media to forget how to foster and create a community of like-minded people. The overabundance of connections available and the convenience of these behemoth platforms has made the value of friendships plumet. The rare few strong-willed people with the patience to create communities have their tools castrated by these platforms. You either go with an unpredictable, unforgiving middleman where all the people are, or go outside the walled gardens and find people in dribs and drabs.

100% this. It's infuriating trying to find people who would be interested in being a part of something you create when reddit or facebook exists.
It's awful because I always wanted to give back to the community growing up, and I finally have the resources to do it.

Attached: sadpepe.jpg (412x351, 20K)

I've been working on an open-source and federated alternative that isn't complete shit like Matrix and Riot are.

It's because of the rapid pace of the modern web. People want things now, now, NOW. This is also how wikis killed fansites.

You're not wrong. Hell, I'm guilty of that myself.

Is it really too much to ask to jump on IRC or even discord for more immediate help? I suppose the answer is yes.

I think the medium is a problem as well. Sure I could spin up a vbulletin forum and all that good stuff but it's just so cumbersome to use for a lot of people, myself included.

I just want to have a comfy place to discuss higher level sysadmin / pet project stuff and not muh gaymen rig or who can implement fizzbuzz in less lines for my nonexistent job interview.

God i would give anything for a good place to talk about stuff like this.
/sag/? Would there be a backlash against talking about Windows server?
Would there even be people here to discuss this?

Reddit was huge long before 2014. I remember some forums moving to subreddits back in 2011, and I'm sure it goes back further than that.

Attached: Screenshot_20180528-201619_Firefox.jpg (1440x1947, 164K)

I think it was also because of a changing of the guards in terms of culture. I remember loads of Morrowind forums, but far less for Oblivion, and basically none at all for Skyrim, and that's just using this one example.

>wanting to save forums when you are posting on Jow Forums

l m a o

Start or join a forum, post cool shit, then invite people to join. It's not that hard

Imageboards aren't even that popular in Japan, but they're still very much the cutting edge in the west. Even 15 years later, the cutting edge of internet culture still comes from message boards and then filters down to everyone else.

Reddit killed them.

The only ones left are populated by older guys really passionate about niche subjects.

Wikis killed fansites because they make it easy to cross-reference information and collate it. The only problem is that most people are only familiar with wikipedia, so they approach wikis like they all need to be written in a dry, encyclopedic manner. Wikis with actual user-generated content are great fun.

>Even the janitors cause more problems than they solve.

This is so true for /v/

All the fun threads get insta removed

Fucking moralfags made safe spaces out of containment boards

*still comes from image boards

Christ I need to get some sleep

Because most people who used to use forums have moved on with their lives. They have families, they are probably in their 30 to early 40, in those years different things become important, also if one spend all their early lives on forums them by the time he reaches 30 there are few things to discuss.
I am 29, I only browse Jow Forums, hardly ever reply because most discussions are retarded or just bait, and people hardly ever post anything new that I havent seen posted 100 times before, the situation is even worse on sites like fb, its a literal echo chamber or normies.

...Jow Forums?

>[YOU MUST BE REGISTERED TO VIEW LINKS]
>register
>log in
>[YOU HAVE TO HAVE AT LEAST 15 COMMENTS TO VIEW LINKS]
>post 15 one word comments in random threads
>go back to original thread
>it was a megaupload link

Attached: 0606_-_bCSQQRA.jpg (200x200, 7K)

>Read the dialogue below. Can you understand any of it?
Kek

>try searching for a useful answer to a problem
Good luck even attempting to search for an answer now that discussion has migrated to facebook and discord.

redit is a forum, and discord is just the aborted bastard child of skype and irc.

same reason people hate email now.
also because forums more often than not just turn into shit shows with people trying to get good boy points and begging for moderator so they can powertrip.

Forums are cancer. Let them die.

Registration has become retardedly involved.

The Digg hissyfit migrations is when reddit became anything. Both of which are largely unrelated to the deaths of more traditional forums.
The reason forums have been dying is because forums used to exist primarily as a form of information delivery. Ask a quesiton, get an answer. Non question-answer cultures within boards developed on their own accord, but were derivative rather than integral.
What started the decline of forums was, I shit you not, wikipedias. Information started being categorized and more easily accessible. Video games started documenting their shit instead of making you explore to find answers.
When you played early MMOs you had to try and figure out crafting recipes through experimentation. Nowadays the game straight up lists everything possible. There's no need to a forum thread where everybody comes together and tells everyone the new recipe they've discovered.
People don't troll around in specialized forums participating in a derived forum culture anymore because they have no reason to be there in the first place now. Before you'd have people passing time on a fansub group forum because they're waiting for the release or something. But nowadays the entire thing is streamlined, raws and even scripts provided ahead of time; no more actual differences between groups because they had two different TLs who both had to listen to the audio and do their best to translate it.
etc. It's basically "niche groups go mainstream and there's no turning back" on a larger scale.