Can I learn enough C++ to do this in 1 month? I was ill and need to catch up on university work...

Can I learn enough C++ to do this in 1 month? I was ill and need to catch up on university work. I'm basically starting from 0 when it comes to C++, I know some python (inc. OOP).

Attached: 9ztSP42.png (816x609, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

baptiste-wicht.com/categories/c++11-concurrency-tutorial.html
web.archive.org/web/20171025090336/http://bisqwit.iki.fi/story/howto/openmp/
classes.cs.uchicago.edu/archive/2013/spring/12300-1/labs/lab6/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No

no

Here is some more detail along with suggested projects. Is there an easy one you can see there?

Attached: H69hUnI.png (810x764, 327K)

A simple TCP/IP chat program will do but there is no chance in hell you can do it in < 1 month.

If you work ridiculous hard, maybe. Probably not though.

I mean it's gonna take a week just to get over how different a real language is to Python.

RIP me then. I only really need a C to pass but it seems as if it's far out of the realm of possibility. Guess that's a fail.

Attached: 1525896962739.png (591x716, 257K)

That's what happens when you use python

If it’s that important pay a freelancer to do it. But don’t let that stop you over the month you’ve got

I really hate python though, and I've done rudimentary C++ (just loops and stuff) and it seems much easier and more structured/straightforward.

How much would this cost? I've looked at one before but they seem pretty expensive, and this seems like a pretty complex application to make.

How did your course go from nothing to this in a month?

Anyway, talk to your professor/student support uni/academic advisor about it. If you're ill they'll probably give you extensions or something, or at least give you a step by step on how to realistically achieve those goals in time.

I’m not sure. I paid a Pajeet a couple of hundred one time

>How did your course go from nothing to this in a month?
Yeah seems bs to me, should still be doing fizzbuzz

If you have good google-coding skills and can properly address your questions to stackoverflow you can find half of needed code in google and see the other half written by the nerds who have nothing else to do in their life. All you'll have to do shall be compose it then into a working solution.

CPP is a goddamn language though, I'd avoid it anyways.

It didn't, I was ill for all of semester 1 and 90% of semester 2. In addition, I went straight into 2nd year so I didn't learn the C++ basics last year. I've been seeing a neurologist and am finally getting better so I'm wondering if it's not too late for me. But it appears as if it is.

Just use openmp and you can do it in a couple of hours. Or just use pthread alongside their mutex and properly do it in maybe a day or two.

Holy shit dude did you not arrange anything with your uni to accommodate you missing almost two years of the course?

honestly, op, if you know python, then you know more than you think you do about c++. they use very similar terms and structure; youll just have to get used to not using the spacing faggotry, learning how functions work, and learning more about how memory works (as far as i remember, python handles it automatically, right? i havent used it in years)

Python handles basically everything automatically.

...no
i got really ill and depressed and just stayed in my room for the whole year basically. i spoke to a bunch of people over the past month and they said I should try and pass this so that it gives the board the perception that I didn't just drop out and to hopefully repeat the year.

this has more layers
>be confident in C++
1 month from zero knowledge isn't enough
>concurrency patterns
quite easy to learn once you get what the goals of it is
>specific tools for parallelism
GPUs seem like next level

The cheapest trick in book is OpenMP which can be possible to learn in 1 month quite easily, it uses (iirc) posix threads in background and gives you simple set of pragmas with fork-join model and automatically balances tasks between them, gives you some locks and control over what's shared or unique etc. You still need to design the algorithm properly but at least you have a model to design against. Common thing that cripples performance are deadlocks and inefficient communication.
Implementing this by yourself is very daunting but assignment makes it look like you are supposed to.

Not mentioned: make it run with SIMD instructions, usually big payout.

Why were you enrolled at all if you were that sick? How the fuck did you even pass the classes up to this point. Actually I think I know the answer to this already because I see people like you literally every CS class I have taken. Drop the class, spend the rest of the summer learning cpp and programmings fundamentals on your own, and try again in the fall. Otherwise you're gonna have to cheat your whole way through from this point on then wonder why no one wants to give you a job at the end

I'd urge you to find people at your uni to sort this out with. A professor is gonna have a better idea if this is possible or not than anyone here, and whatever exists to help out students in your situation will be able to guide you on what's best here. I'm assuming you're american, but in the UK every student has their own academic advisor who you can go see about, well, academic stuff, and also a student support centre for more general problems about depression or illness or whatever and how it effects your studies. I'd go find your uni's equivalent of that and talk to them. Get the fuck off Jow Forums.

well I want to repeat the year regardless. I just want to better my chances at being allowed to repeat the year, I don't want to be kicked out of the course.

Dropping classes don't affect your GPA

Depends on what sort of quality you want. If you want professional quality code, probably $10k, if you want pajeet-tier code that probably won't work, a few hundred.

ok then, the tasks are very easy, I'v expected something like graph algorithms with a lot of logic but you can split these into independent tasks (in full runtime) very easily
if you can use OpenMP then check Bisqwit's parallelism series on YouTube. That finish autist was implementing mandelbrot set there, comparing various ways and wrote excellent guide on his website
otherwise learn some threads, I use posix threads in C but no idea what's the goto for C++
>Boost
very popular C++ library that will probably have threads and concurrency primitives (which might also be in standard library though) next to bazilion other things, probably overkill to bother with
>TBB
looks like worse version of OpenMP and require Intel compiler, ask them if you can use OpenMP instead if you have a chance
>SFML
simple 2D graphics, comfier to work with than SDL2, used it for simple gamedev in past, nothing big
making window, timers, handling input and drawing polygon/circle/pixel on screen is very easy with it

So you think it's possible to learn this in a month?

is this an elective based on parallelism or was my degree program shit?

the only time this stuff was even mentioned was in systems programming, and even then it was pretty much only discussed in lecture, maybe used a tiny bit in a programming assignment. didn't even get a "free reign" project until senior capstone.

This is Data Structures and Algorithms. 2nd year.

depends on how confident you are in C or C++, I would say yes

your degree program was shit we did all this shit minus the GPU stuff in my 3rd year and there were assignments everywhere.

Fucking kek. You are fucked

you could make a box movement based game with rather ease

Unrelated question, I've been doing this kind of shit in pure winapi(was surprisingly easy and straightforward), but what are the cross-platform solutions for that? I'm particularly interested in the alternatives for "WaitForMultipleObjects" and synchronization barriers.

Maybe you should be kicked out of the course. I'm sorry but people like you really don't belong in a CS program. It's obvious you've done jack fucking shit up to this point, most likely googled/copy pasted your assignments or had someone else do it for you, most likely crammed for your exams, and now you've dug yourself into a hole you can't get out of. And now you want to pay something to do it for you altogether? It's like I said I see this literally every semester and I do not understand it. If you were legitimately that sick you should have never enrolled. Meanwhile people like you do this shit and you take spots away in classes and programs from people who actually are serious about the degree and also resources via textbooks and tutoring, it's fucking ridiculous. You did this to yourself.

wtf are you on about, i studied last year and got all A's without paying, i just fell ill so I missed most of this year. and i want to repeat the year so that I don't have to cheat my way through the course, I want to get a good foundation.

How ill were you that you couldn't do the tiniest bit of work? Not an insult, that just sounds abnormally strong.

Again, if you were that "sick" then why were you enrolled in the first place? How did you pass any of your classes, unless you're telling me you failed everything you took this year I'm going to go ahead and believe you're full of shit instead.

>unless you're telling me you failed everything you took this year
yes

>looks like worse version of OpenMP and require Intel compiler
after reading more on this I was totally wrong, it's possible to compile with gcc with ease and provides more models than OpenMP with its main thread spawning task threads so it's allegedly more flexible
well I guess it could be worth learning

OP try to make sense out of these tutorials
baptiste-wicht.com/categories/c++11-concurrency-tutorial.html

Somebody post some C++ Tutorial that can bring him up to speed.

You can probably make it if you clench your buttcheeks in turbomode

Only if you already know another programming language

Then drop the fuck out and get your shit together you idiot. If you're failing your classes something is wrong here. Drop out, handle your shit, and go back when you're in a good place mentally and physically. Otherwise you're wasting time and money and being a dick by taking up space and resources from other people

wow user you sound really salty

Attached: jTFbu9L.gif (500x270, 924K)

i AM better now, that's why i made this thread to see if I can scavenge the year. that's why I'm saying i want to repeat the year. jesus.

You’re just wasting your time if you plan on taking the same courses again. Just drop the classes and study/work in the meantime until you can start the year over

No because you must learn a fucking lot, both theoretically and code-wise if you wanna know what the hell you are doing.

Next time do things properly and in time user.

you need to speak to your university. You don’t ‘repeat’ years in the same sense as high school. Your financial aid will run out once your 4 year’s is over, and you’ll have to start paying out of pocket. Go speak to an advisor and get things straightened out immediately, otherwise you’re going to be in thousands of dollars more in debt.

Of course you're better "now" because you've realized you've fucked yourself to the point you can't get out. Did you see all the Fs you had in the fall and not stop to think something was seriously wrong there? Again, you need to drop the classes and go over the programming fundamentals in the summer. You have almost three full months to go through an intro book which is MORE than enough time. How do you pass on passing anything beyond this? Do you think it just magically gets easier? Data structures is a really important class and if you try to pass it without really understanding the concepts you are fucking yourself

>Your financial aid will run out once your 4 year’s is over
You can get 6 years of financial aid or 12 full time semesters

i live in a country where university is free + you are entitled to an extra year of loans if something goes wrong (which I'm planning to use)
i hoped i would be better in the 2nd semester but I only got worse. i am really dumb for not fixing this sooner but i was just in a terrible state of mind and locked away in my room. and just to say this again - i don't want to carry on if i don't know the stuff. that's why i made this thread, to know if i could do it or not. so i'm going to try to repeat the year now, i just have to hope they let me do it.

OP universities are generally very accommodating for things like illness (physical or mental). Speak to someone and tell them your story. See what options you have available.

This. That's a lot of shit for one month. Maybe 2-3 months if you aren't working and can devote a lot of time to figuring it out. None of this is exceptionally hard but that is a lot of content.

>being a dick by taking up space and resources from other people
>he thinks colleges don't just let everyone in despite limited capacity

>I've never actually been to college before
You need to be 18 to post here kid

Still, the faster OP lets the university know what’s going on, the better the process goes smoothly. I would recommend calling and making an appointment the very first thing tomorrow morning to straighten this whole ordeal out. If OP is failing all his classes, they can kick him out.

I know specifically because I went to college. I was barely able to get classes because my degree program was "impacted". They let in more than they can actually handle so they can collect that loan money. That's also why there wasn't enough student housing or parking.

You could definitely do this desu, parallel password cracker or image processing are both pretty straightforward.

i've already spoken with the guy in charge of my course, he said there is only a slim chance i will be kicked out but if i can pass this course then it will be a good boost for my chances.

Yes, unironically. I swear most of Jow Forums has no clue what they're doing. It's a second year algo's course, not some senior level project.

C++ is hard, but you don't need to know the entirety of the language to make something functional. Your prof isn't looking for something fancy, but he needs to know that you understand the fundamentals. Make a parrallelisd rot13/ceaser cipher encrypter/decrypter. Have a task queue, you could split it by words, letters, it doesn't matter. The threads synchronize with the queue with a mutex, it's simple af

ok, you've given me some hope. how do you think i should go about this, just go through all the slides for my lectures and learn as much, then try throw together a program that covers all the bases?

>extra year of loans

so they'll give you more money that you have to pay back + interest. Are you unable to comprehend this? I don't think you're suited for higher education user, I would drop out and hit up a trade school. You'll still have a good life and won't waste as much money

there's no interest you retard, and if i need it then I need it. why are you so salty in this thread?

Read the chapters on input/output and parallelization, do the exercises, then try to build it. You already know how to program, C++ is easy to pick up, all you need is the basics of the language for this anyway.

ok, i'll give it a go. i guess i know how it will end up in a week or so anyway.

You can do that if you're not completely retarded and have at least traced / read a C program.

openMP is included in the module as a resource, i just checked.

web.archive.org/web/20171025090336/http://bisqwit.iki.fi/story/howto/openmp/

There's nothing similar. Python syntax is useless and doesn't even have real oop

>Python syntax is useless and doesn't even have real oop

What fresh memery is this. What exactly is Python missing, in your estimation?

How do I learn C# rapidly then?

I'd do it for $200. That's a months wages in my country (not India, fuck off). Unfortunately for you, I have two contracts at the moment and won't be able to take on anything else for at least three weeks.

The game one is unironically easy.
>Buy assists from unity store
>collision, AI or animations.
>simply add a few lines
>just do your base to make it look different.

Next time try and spend time on this. This isn't something you can really bullshit(too much)

Attached: 1522925890538.jpg (700x704, 50K)

I'd do it for $300. I just graduated and it'd help me study for the interviews I have coming up

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1514483257675.jpg (586x580, 470K)

Thats part of the problem, too many colleges enable this type of behavior. My point is that if you're not serious about school you shouldn't be there period. You're taking up class spots, textbooks, tutoring, parking spaces and other resources away from people who actually take it serious and give a damn. Of course the irony is that the class and times you want/need get filled then half of those fucking people end up dropping out. But the school is more than happy to take them anyway because at the end of the day you're fucking yourself over. The school still gets the money one way or another

password cracker is probably the easiest.

cuda is super easy and you should be good 2 go.

if you're starting from scratch, spend the first week doing hello world and tutorials and shit, and spend the next 3 weeks trying to implement it.

Easily. One month is more than enough.

>a complex game
>with multithreading
>in a month
For people with (actual) 180+ IQ, it is possible.

>parallel password cracker
This seems to be the easiest of the bunch.

I call bullshit

"Complex" is a very relative term. I would assume, they want something better than a tic tac toe with the AI being slapped on a separate thread because that would otherwise fulfill the requirements.
Something a little bit more complex is perfectly doable in a month, including starting from an unknown programming language. Of course, that implies the person in question has some actual programming experience so learning the new language will not degrade to "uh... what's a pointer?"

Op stated he's "starting from 0" which to me implies he basically doesn't know anything on a foundational basic. But then again I don't know anything about python or whether it's comparable to CPP. If he had a foundation to work with thatd be one thing, but if he doesn't know even the bare basics this is almost bootcamp level stuff, even then it's probably not doable

ah the """depression""" meme that forced you to sit around and play video games all day instead of going to school
classic

Oh, wait, OP was "depressed".
Sorry, OP, if you're a faggot who falls for the "depression" meme you won't be able to finish that assignment. Not in a month, not in a year, never.
You'll just give up eventually like a pathetic little bitch you are and settle for something sort of a shitty work that suits you better. Or you'll leech off your parents forever - that's also an option.

i was depressed because i was ill as fuck for over 3 months you fucking retards

If i were you i'd start by going through the notes and doing the mandelbrot labs.

What did you have, sore pussy syndrome?

I'd be honestly surprised if there wasn't a python library already available for this very purpose, enabling parallellization using CPU resources (if not built into the language itself) or a python interface for cuda/opencl.

>posix
C++17 has platform agnostic thread api, and with std::async you can do such tasks with minimal boilerplate.

You can do it in about an hour of stack exchange googling + plus a bit of copy and pasting.

> I was ill and need to catch up on university work.
If you have a doctor’s note you should get some flexibility. Don’t stress yourself out or pay someone to do your assignment.

If you aren't a shitskin filthy scum pajeet, C/C++ will do or you can use high-level languages bindings.

code

i'd honestly kill myself if i had to do this

Man Jow Forums really is filled with teenage CS freshmen. Like says there's nothing impossible about this.

I'd recommend you stick to CPU as it's easier and C++11 has built-in support for it. There are so many good tutorials for C++11 parallelization. Here's a good one to get started:
classes.cs.uchicago.edu/archive/2013/spring/12300-1/labs/lab6/
Go through each example, make sure you understand what it's doing, compile and run it, etc.

As for the project, just stick to something simple. Try looking for some numerical analysis algorithms, or at least something text-based, as adding a GUI into the mix will only unnecessarily complicate things.

One month is plenty of time.

>anime poster
>depressed
really makes you think

Attached: 1491926582877.gif (256x256, 416K)