Mesh Networking

What's the latest on this shit? Has anything actually been done? Is there hope for the future?

Attached: 1500556495541.png (898x1231, 1.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Jow
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoRa
youtube.com/watch?v=lYJFwXw1ZIc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

post more lewds

I'm also interested in this, especially for censorship prevention.

> What's the latest on this shit?
Jow Forumsternet failed as expected.
> Is there hope for the future?
Hope died long ago.

This

We'd need some sort of routing and switching fabric entirely independent of the internet, and something that's easy to deploy. Wireless or packet radio would fit the bill, but with so few users (and you'd need a critical mass of users to get it working), how do you get the range without needing a ham radio licence, and how do we achieve the bandwidth necessary to send anything other than text?

Ignore CIAniggers, join the IRC channel.

Attached: mesh10.png (1240x1754, 1.19M)

IIRC frequencies where you can send much data far away are regulated and are illegal to use for radio amateurs, you'd need some FCC license.

Not to mention that sending encrypted data over the air as a ham is illegal.

would fugg

The government really hates freedom don't they.

It's illegal, but it's not noticeable, when you transmit small enough. (Like, kilobyte or two).
But this degree of unnoticeability is impossible when you want to transmit lolis.

Nah, it's a holdover from the Cold War when there were fears about literal Soviet agents getting ham licenses and sending coded messages back to Papa Khrushchev. Well-timed ham broadcasts can bounce of the ionosphere and are ideal for transmitting across the planet after all.

The end of the Cold War coincided with the rise of the internet, killing ham activity, so the regulations weren't really revisited. Also, most hams consider the rule against encrypted broadcasts to be one of their principles or some shit, so they'll never campaign to have it removed.

bunch of crypto trying to do it

Nexus and Sky?? maybe

Do you think there are no more enemies of the USA?
Encrypted broadcasts are never going to be lifted.

>be you
>be typing boards.Jow Forums.org
>be committing federal crime

We were talking about radio far connections.

Fuck off, project is dead, see . All channers lost hope for all that is not Google.

>great help in case of disaster
I remember reading how HAM enthusiasts helped in Fukushima... But it was certainly made without mesh network.

Think how much better it would be

what is wifi
what is satellite internet

Fuck off CIAnigger

Attached: 1456792752488.png (2992x2992, 531K)

You can't transmit encrypted data but you can use your own undocumented transmission mode

instead of or combined with small/local mesh networks, it may be possible to have services utilizing sneakernet and/or to downsize and encrypt communications. Secure Scuttlebutt is a social network that syncs using the Gossip protocol, which works by updating when you're on the same wifi as someone else who has updated from going somewhere else, so it creates a kind of global network that works with people's movements. it can also update by simply transferring files from a USB stick

we need to think about things like that, as well as reviving light protocol/services like Gopher and using only encrypted communications. this may be necessary for people if the internet becomes unusable due to throttling after net neutrality ends

>that works with people's movements.
>people's movements
>Jow Forums
Should I leave more elaborative comment?

CJDNS, and mayve i2p. Both have advantages and disadvantages but I tend to prefer CJDNS for it's per-connection identities, as your meshnet IPv6 address is derived from a public/private keypair. Makes no-login SSO possible which is awesome.

either the mesh will fail, or people will get out of their homes to work on it one way or another. there is no way that cities can be interconnected this way without building permits or something that none of us are willing to do

for this reason, it's probably a better idea to figure out how to work within the internet itself as it becomes more and more oppressive and/or constricted

not to mention that SSB works over the internet as well

the most plausible solution would be to use plaintext services and encrypt them. other than large file downloads, this would take so little overhead that oppressive data caps would be ineffectual. more services need to support working offline. for example, I think Usenet and especially BBSes used to allow people to download new posts and reply to them offline, uploading their replies when they later got online again.

a lot of this is just a shift in thinking. a mass shift would result in a new paradigm.

the mesh is likely to fail because it doesn't work the way we do. we can shift to some degree and, if net neutrality fails, if corporations limit us, we may come out the other side without so many problems

Any anons currently in college or university? I think these communities are good starting points.
Might actually start something this summer here.

Bump for interest
I want to create a network from my house extending into the forest on my property

Attached: 5b780efa4ac54cc782bddf07dc3297c0.gif (540x405, 1.97M)

What did you have in mind?

Point to point link from house to a tree, then maybe an AP? I don't know. Distance is about 500m

I think you're supposed to be able to make a mesh like that with ESPs. At least if you don't require high bandwidth.

This this and this.

If we could encrypt on HAM we would have our own nationwide text based board over HF using the best most modern modulation schemes and some weathy bros setting up some repeaters

Wifi aint got legs, 3g/4g celluar is redonkulous. I took a 4hour road trip out bush to see my grandmother today and i had uninterupted shitposting the whole way and back.

Soon as ubiquitous satellite broadband becomes a thing - which it will its game over for mesh networks ... even if a white hat guy like elon owns it.

i would best this loli in close combat and proceed with raping her and making her my wife

Attached: 1521572531103.png (1750x1750, 1.1M)

Sounds like we Fidonet again, except there was no anonimity in Fidonet.

She would beat you and make you her manservant.

Sounds good to me

>aint got
Ape.

LoRa?
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoRa

> LoRa uses license-free sub-gigahertz radio frequency bands like 169 MHz, 433 MHz, 868 MHz (Europe) and 915 MHz (North America). LoRa enables very-long-range transmissions (more than 10 km in rural areas) with low power consumption.[3]

> The LoRa physical layer protocol is closed and proprietary; therefore, there is no freely available official documentation. However, several people have analyzed it and documented their findings.[4]

no

t. boomer

that's an extremely cute young lady

That's not a bad idea, user there's a few IoT networks to take advantage of already using it as well, might as well try them out for other things than internet-connected kettles and fridges that advertise at you. The LoRa modules are cheap enough to play with too and connect to a RPi or microcontroller.

that gladiator looks weak as fuck, would rape

She's armed.

She'll tell you "sorry I have a bf" and then you'll shrink back to your shell like you always do.

Why not use lasers?

Attached: 1527131141222.jpg (1000x1000, 92K)

Make sure to cut off her arms and legs so she can't get away when you give her the benis.

Attached: gimli aye I could do that.gif (500x255, 1009K)

Because they are easily noticeable, for sure.

But they have extremely long range.

HF has much longer range when compared to lasers

Attached: hf propagation.jpg (827x360, 28K)

Pls author name or style, pls, i find this hot

T-tell me moar best double satan dubs. What is this HF?

Couldn't Trump's FCC chairman Ajit Pai just outlaw it wireless mesh networking on the grounds that it's a security and health threat or some other bullshit and that only "approved" radio operators like AT&T and Verizon would be allowed to do it?

Attached: ajit-pai-fcc.jpg (885x546, 46K)

hey guys don't buy into the LoRaWAN shit, it's a complete waste of money, time, and a license. You can accomplish the same low-power high distance bandwidth networking stuff with similar chirp proto and everything just using the established standards. Don't buy into this proprietary garbage--it's a shortcut you don't need to take.

High frequency.
No, they'd just limit mesh networking frequencies to those which don't propagate far.

HF stands for High Frequency radio. The band has a range of 3-30mhz (or 100-10 meter). HF is known to "propagate" through the atmosphere and reflect off the different layers of atmosphere depending on their charge states and the time of day. By analyzing the atmosphere, one can easily send and receive signals from thousands of kilometers away.

Attached: ionosphere.gif (600x300, 20K)

got myself an SDR and working with gnu-radio. HF/VHF/UHF it's been a blast.

We should all make a meshnet.

>and a license
License for what? Isn't the whole point of lorawan to create your own networks on license free bands?

Meshnet is limited to local and share-net, ISP's would still be required for long distances since they are so well established. Best move going forwards would be to set up a tribe/clan of individual businesses working together to spread mesh-net as an alternative. Fingers crossed we could get some satelites and replace the ISP's that be, but for the moment meshnet has no capacity beyond LAN.

no, thats the point of LPWAN, which LoRaWAN hardware makes use of.

LoRaWAN is a _PROPRIETARY_ radio modulation technical specification. You are not using it freely.

Which SDR user? I have a 857D that I use to talk on 20 meter. I'm looking to get into digital though.

>857D
damn dude thats way nicer than what I've got. I've just got a NooElec NeSDR but it seems to have good range on it, works off the laptop, desktop, raspberry pi 3, etc.

Why does everyone insist on using ham bands? Intelligence agencies frequently use illegal frequencies on hf and nobody gives a shit. There should be no problem for any user to use such frequencies as long as he only transmits short bursts.

they're able to get away with it because it's almost completely impossible to triangulate the position of a short-wave's transmission origin.

>You are not using it freely.
Wat you mean? Both simple transcievers and gateways are being sold worldwide.

I guess I could emphasis the word ¸¸.•*¨*•PROPRIETARY•*¨*•.¸¸ a bit more. You can achieve the same effect with the same efficiency without shelling out for this chip-set that you're only given a limited interface too, that you're not able to freely modify.

Yea but it's cheap and simple as fuck.You need nothing more than an rf module (you can find really high quality 1W modules for 20$) and a cheap microcontroller. Building your own modem from discrete components would be a pain in the ass.

That seems neat.

Can you provide links to chips that do the low power high range thing, and don't lean on LoRa, user?

bump

Holy Shit! Mesh? . . . yeah, he left the building, Buddy. That was Towns building out. Cellulars in charge now...

Attached: Google.jpg (668x677, 40K)

Nice, thank you.

I would like this

fuck u fuck u get ubiquiti long range wifi shits like linus youtube.com/watch?v=lYJFwXw1ZIc

u-underrated post

also linux is cancer

Attached: cry me a river.jpg (509x607, 76K)