The greatest programmer in history has a message for you goys: Learn math

The greatest programmer in history has a message for you goys: Learn math.

Attached: 1520247941365.jpg (602x249, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I agree with that
Higher theoretic math really helps with programming
You don't just blindly implement, classes and structs become sets and rules, you ask "does this operation make sense mathematically?", "Do I need this specialization or I can abstract?" etc and suddenly everything just falls into place and the program writes itself
But the best is when you read what you wrote, the implementation language just disappears and you only see the pure manifestation of pure mathematical concepts
It's beautiful

What you failed to post OP is Carmack's other famous statement, the fact that all he accomplished was accomplished with the creative utilization of high school level math, meaning that learning higher level mathematics might have hindered him from developing critical thinking with the foundations and that even foundations themselves can make the bread.
Of course, knowing how long to churn foundations and develop critical thinking, and knowing when to stop and transition into higher math for further development, that's more of a personal quest that varies from person to person and requires both wisdom of the individual and some exterior help and guidance as a signaling ramp.

Since a course in higher math takes about 4 months, if he really meant that he'd be enrolled in school today. But he's not.

Attached: 1513078562593.png (535x479, 17K)

dubs have spoken.
at this point the school is an organized system for systematically dumbing people down

That's not Terry Davis...

float Q_rsqrt( float number )
{
long i;
float x2, y;
const float threehalfs = 1.5F;

x2 = number * 0.5F;
y = number;
i = * ( long * ) &y; // evil floating point bit level hacking
i = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 ); // what the fuck?
y = * ( float * ) &i;
y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 1st iteration
// y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 2nd iteration, this can be removed

return y;
}

what the fuck?

Really good post

He's in the twilight years of his career and most likely much of what made him realize this is due to events/projects that have come and gone. While he still *could* take a course, he can't go back in time and use that insight in the last 30 years of programming.

That's why he said in hindsight. I'm sure he's learned more in three decades.

Fast inverse square root by John Carmack.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root

>video gaymes
yea more like "greatest toymaker in history"

it wasn't made by carmack

>I don't regret not taken any music or languages
What a sad fucking life. Durr I maek games it's all that matters

Well shit, i've mislead lots of people over the years. Now that i look it up he says it came from another bloke working on q3 who borrowed it from others.

>all he accomplished was accomplished with the creative utilization of high school level math
>>all he accomplished

John Carmack was not an especially great software engineer, he was just really efficient at making vidyo gaems

What's the most math carmack took?

What's even worse is that there's hundreds of you ready to post this in every
>DAE John Carmack is the best developer of all times XD
thread.

The programming I do is web development.. Why the hell do I need to know how to find an integral

If I wasn't so old (25) Id minor in math

>25
>old
Intellectual peak is in the 40s. Go work on it.

Because then you don't have to do web-dev trash.

That is the average mid-college age in jewland.

>25
>old
Don't say that man

>jewland
Israel?

>a shitty gayme dev
He's alright, but far from greatest

Yep Israel and Iceland are the slowest countries. People are on average 29 when they are finished with their university (BA/BSc) degree.

Why?
Is it due to the military conscription?

>greatest programmer in history
>vidya

Whew lad

Why do dumb dumbs think the only higher level math is calc shit?
>immediately relates it to programming
You have no soul man

Honestly, all the engineers I've talked to regret not learning more math.

Not because they really needed it for their careers, mind you.

But most of these people have found higher math to be something they really can't self-teach. Lots of stuff you can pick up in your own time with dedicated study, but people seem to have a real problem getting good grasp of complex math without an actual class. So they regret not taking more math a lot more than they regret not taking other things, simply because the other things they don't strictly *need* to take classes to learn.

Shut the fuck up

>The greatest programmer in history
Please don't spout nonsense. All the truly great programmers are already dead.

A lot of people wrongly attribute it to carmack, but really it was just that his use of it became famous. I think it was some guy working for one of the gpu companies back in the day that came up with it.

I'm sorry guys
Now that I read it it was a terrible post
It's just that things don't go very well in university (just have to finish my thesis) and I'm losing it

You don't have to apologize man relax . It's going to be ok

I have no idea why people are offended by this.

Can somebody explain?

Terry is still alive tho.

This post made me hard.

>being this assmad that someone's a successful programmer
The absolute state of webdev COPE

And math enables you to learn a lot of subjects that you usually *can* self-teach pretty well if you understand the math they're using. Lots of more advanced physics - relativity, quantum field theory - opens up if you've got just a bit more mathematical background than most engineers get. And even for programmers, things like multivariable calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra open up huge chunks of powerful numerical algorithms to understand. (Obviously this is not super important if you're just doing, like, web dev, but mechanical engineers don't really need to know general relativity either; it's just really interesting, and if you're interested in that kind of stuff it can be a bummer to struggle with it because you're having trouble with the math.)

>Learn math.

I wish I could. I was diagnosed with learning disabilities incl. ADHD when I was young and my parents refused to allow me medication. Whenever I would run into a complex math problem in school, my mind would just shut down and I was just absolutely helpless.

Guys, I barely passed high school algebra and I failed college algebra twice. What are my chances of getting a good career in something CS related?

I'm the author of the original post and in hindsight it was terrible
Higher mathematics are awesome, no question about it
But on the other hand John Carmack made beautiful game engines with ingenuity and school math

Definitely for israel because a dude needs 3 years of military after high school.

Stay in webdev, learn Linux and you will be fine.

>3 years of military after high school.
Unironically based Jews

While trying to make my own engine the complex algorithms are the biggest problem for me.

Just accept the sleepless nights, fears and tears; You can pull trough!

>magic numbers
>bit abuse
why do brainlets on Jow Forums post this goofy shit in every 5th or 6th thread? i see this posted weekly and it's not even good code. it's certainly a clever hack but it's not something that should be held up as an example of engineering.

>this is what college drones actually believe

Make that base2

>this is what educationlets actually believe

Don't feel bad, man. I was in the same boat. Totally failed my first semester of college and broke down both so hard both physically and mentally that it didn't even impact my GPA because I withdrew for health problems before the semester even ended. Came back a few years later after finally getting meds, failed pretty hard again. Finally got on my feet the semester *after* that, brought my GPA up from a 1.5 to a 3 by the end of the summer, am doing just fine now.

You're not doomed just because you have brain problems. You're gonna be OK.

>only sees those solutions which exist in the subset of known mathematics
>can't change the value of x because muh immutability

>needing college to learn math