/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=WpbIaG-MOos

>Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=YxIiPLVR6NA

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/8wRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Previous:

Attached: Soydor Black Soy.jpg (1072x476, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6UKING82fa0
pastebin.com/SwRysprE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whoops, messed up the link.
Previous:

I got my stainless steel anadigi Casio.
It was together with a pulsar digital.

Attached: IMG-20180529-WA0018.jpg (1200x1600, 124K)

Price was 23 €

Attached: IMG-20180529-WA0021.jpg (1200x1600, 116K)

What I find funny is that the seller randomly put in a aq230 to the package.

Attached: IMG-20180529-WA0020.jpg (1200x1600, 128K)

Let me guess, German craigslist?

No just regular ebay.

Attached: tapatalk_1527626019298.jpg (520x382, 24K)

How do you guys feel about fake chinese shit, just copped this for $4

Attached: 20180529_164026.jpg (4032x3024, 2.88M)

How is this a fake? Just a regular aliexpress shitter.

What's the name of the thing that rotates in automatic watches, the thing that will generate energy when you move around?

The generator.

Will it really increase my daily watch enjoyment to upgrade from my Ray II or is that just a consumerist meme

The wiggler?

The rotor. I think I found my own answer in google.

thats the time engine

You'll grow out of it. And you'll be glad you only spent $4. Some morons spend hundreds of dollars on Chinese shitters.

Seiko call it the magic lever

You're all a bunch of niggers

The magic lever isn't what spins around; that's still the rotor. The magic lever is what allows the rotor to wind the mainspring in either direction.

Attached: 1527630763.jpg (587x760, 472K)

Attached: home_image.4651328.jpg (900x658, 174K)

Attached: home_image.4651323.jpg (900x657, 202K)

What are your thoughts on blatant ripoffs of things like the speedmaster and the submariner? I think it just lacks class.

Yes

Casio MDV106 in perlon, because some dude on /wt/ shilled it to me. It comes with most of the downsides that come with a watch under $50 like having a mediocre movement, meh lume, hands not aligning perfectly (going upside down fixes it from 0-30), and it looks kind of like a submariner. But damn, this doesn't look like a sub $100 watch.

Attached: 20180529_180234.jpg (3984x2988, 2.57M)

youtube.com/watch?v=6UKING82fa0

>spending 10 straight minutes shitting on tag, seiko and bulova

Is he /our guy/?

Attached: 1517672529246.jpg (1000x1498, 760K)

He's an obnoxious loudmouth who thinks of anything below the $4000 mark is a shitter.

No, someone that panders directly to you can never be /our guy/

>t. assmad poorfags
Go throw your Citizens and Seikos away you fucking shitters.

You have wasted 2 beers worth of money on that.

I don't own a Seiko, Citizen, or Casio, so consider them thrown out.
Picking someone that is your echo chamber to be /our guy/ is a terrible move. Consider that he is just satire of another YouTuber, and does things he says you should never do, yeah he isn't /our guy/ at all.

Don't listen to these fags. It's the propeller.

Just copped this badboy, feeling blessed.

Attached: badboy.jpg (3024x4032, 639K)

Why do you hate your self this much? You could have bought a nice casio and a t-shirt for the amount you spent on this replica that isn't even nice looking. People would have complimented your casio and your t-shirt if, but now the people are going to laugh at you, for wearing a watch that's ugly and fake. Fake, like you.

Watch the latest Hodinkee talking watches. The guy talks about gold sports watches briefly, you might enjoy it.

>people would have complimented your casio

Attached: rghtlr0c9.jpg (682x682, 272K)

Buy a w86 and you'll see.
Dumb replica-fag.

There is literally nothing wrong with buying high quality replica watches.

>high quality replica watches
Yeah mate sure. If I or any other horology autist here can't tell about a replica that it's not the real deal, you'll get a green light. Fair enough?

Attached: 1525160104065.jpg (800x450, 348K)

Name the flaws.

Not going to waste my time listing every detail but going to circle you 5 (five)(خمسة)(पांच) flaws, in only 10% of the picture. Look how disgustingly the light reflects.

Attached: 1524453036150.png (740x377, 402K)

They are illegal for starters. But sure "nothing wrong".

What model is it supposed to be?
Because I can't find an authentic version with the same printing on the sub dials to compare it to. It's missing the circular boarders

It's supposed to be this right?

Attached: rolex-cosmograph-daytona-pink-and-black-dial-men_s-chronograph-oysterflex-watch-116515pbksr.jpg (490x490, 45K)

And that's an obvious mistake you can see from a mile off. Let alone how terrible the finish and details are.

The markers are the wrong colour too which is obvious from a mile out.

>he lives in a country where fakes are illegal
Why not neck yourself?

It's not supposed to be that, it IS that.

Hello wt

Attached: 20180529_171231-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.6M)

UGLY

Counterfeit or fakes or unauthorized replicas are illegal in pretty much any country that matters as they violate trademarks/copyrights/ect.

so my penisquartz came, and the glass is pretty fucked. Is there much I can do short of replacing it?

I don't care if it's not flawless, but I'd like to try and clean it up a bit.

Attached: IMG_20180530_102417 (2).jpg (3024x2016, 1.73M)

unless you wanna use a diamond grinding wheel, replacing is the easiest thing.

how hard would that be? would I be able to find a generic crystal to fit it?

look for a NoS crystal. read the numbers on the dial and find one online. Seiko crystals are usually easier to get than a generic mineral glass.

Oh shit, that looks worse than the seller's pic, that's a new one, though please back up just a fraction of an inch so the point of focus is on the watch instead of the table. Is that a crack or a deep scratch?
It is Hardlex so polishing will take some serious elbow grease if you want to try. Unfortunately I can't tell you what kind of compound to use. Most suggestions for polishing hardlex are "don't", probably because you will start polishing the case before the crystal smooths out.

Personally I'd be looking for a cheap broken T2 or SQ of the same case style and swapping the movement. Could be slightly cheaper than getting a new crystal and a press or having a watchmaker do it.

Attached: IMG_0219.jpg (3072x2304, 1.89M)

No, no, you want the case reference from the back to match the crystal. The face ref on the dial won't help. Best thing to do is use a watch parts search engine like Jules Borel, look for the case-movement ref, then get the Seiko part number of the crystal from there, using that part number to search ebay. The OEM crystals don't usually list specifically what cases they're for, but the part number is always on the package.

otto frei has a massive variety, i think user's watch is a 9020, so the crystal is like 20 bucks.

but you'll need a press to insert it, plus uncasing the movement... give it to a jeweler. my shop would charge probably 20-25 bucks plus a warranty.

if im not mistaken, the dial provides the movement ref and the case ref, or is it the movement and model type?

The dial provides the movement and the dial ref; in some cases multiple dials were used in the same case (you'd see this between something like an 8000 and 8010, in some cases, for example).

It's a deep scratch and some pitting

camera is refusing to focus well, sorry

Attached: IMG_20180530_105236.jpg (1612x1209, 475K)

Attached: 20180529_180129.jpg (2896x2896, 284K)

How do y'all feel about Smartwatches?

>inb4 botnet

Attached: 9b8c4920-e7c1-43e2-838b-2e965cca0742[1].jpg (540x720, 52K)

botnet

Yeah, I'll probably get it done professionally at some point. It's the only issue with it, the dial is immaculate and the case only has some mild scuffs, pretty happy overall

I don't like them. They have no particularly interesting time-keeping technology compared to non-smart watches

Attached: 20180206_151851-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 2.27M)

currently waiting for in the mail
>Amphibia
>F91W
>3 blushark natos
>1 ebay nato
already arrived
>new springbar tool
>fat 22mm springbars
>z22 strap
I am excited

nice dude

Attached: 1480135040214.jpg (1920x1080, 798K)

What's the best springbar tool? The one I have is total shit

Bergeon 6767-F. It's around $20 last I checked so not outrageously expensive for something that isn't chinesium.

Strap guide link is dead long ago. Why do OPs still keep posting it ?

pastebin.com/SwRysprE

How hard would it be to change the day wheel in a 7S26 movement

How closely should i follow this guide

Attached: OHuTPq7.png (1600x4200, 3.83M)

Considering it has an entire industry around modding that particular movement, I'd say not hard

It's pretty outdated to be honest. The obris explorer II hasn't been available for years now for one thing.

I have recently become quite poor. Is there any way to get middle of the line vintage watches serviced on the cheap, or should I simply avoid wearing them until I can again afford to get them serviced?

Anything similar that you can suggest following?

Not wearing them isn't good either, as the oils can pool and stagnate.

If you can't afford to maintain them, you can't afford to buy them, plain and simple.
If you're poor you should be saving it to become not poor, not spending it on stupid frivolous shit like vintage watches.

There hasn't been a new general guide like that one made. Generally if you're specific with the type of watch you're looking for and your budget some people here might throw suggestions your way.

The spring cranker

rotor

I did not buy them while poor, I have had sudden unexpected gigantic medical bills.

is there a richfag buying guide?

Sell them then. If they've been recently serviced in the last few years you'll be fine

How long can they reasonably sit around? I don't know their service history. I do know that I'm not going to be destitute forever. Perhaps I could wear them once monthly or something to keep things from settling too hard?

Even just winding them a bit every few months should be fine.

You didn't get them looked at when you bought them? Are you new?

A typical service interval can be anywhere from 5-10 years depending on the movement

my wrists are 6 and 2/8 inches, would an SKX007 look stupid on me?

They make an SKX013 for a reason

Thanks.

No, I didn't bother because I got them on the cheap a few months back. I was planning to bring both of them in to my local watch repair guy, but then shit happened. Both movements are ETAs, but like I said before, I have no idea when they were last serviced.

I don't like the hands on the 13

If they're cheap ebay watches then just do like the other guy said and wind them every few months to keep things moving.
Either way nothing of value will be lost.

If they were cheap finds then just wear them until either you can get them serviced or they crap out and buy some more when you have the cash.

I have an idea for a unique moonphase watch and I seriously want to do a Kickstarter for it.

Anyone know how I can get in touch with a Chinese shitter factory so they can build a prototype and come up with a manufacturing estimate?

>IT'S 10 O'CLOCK MOTHERFUCKERRRRRR

Are sub-$500 "microbrand" divers worth buying? Some of them look pretty sweet and they use Miyota movements.

Attached: LETS GOOOOOOO.jpg (821x688, 154K)

Name a single kickstarter watch that has even an ounce of staying power in the market.

Patent the idea and license it to a big player and let the checks come in every month

Are any kickstarter watches ISO rated? Or do they use words that circumnavigate the wording so they don't have to be anything.

No offense but your advice is pretty awful.
>Dear Sir or Madam
>Thank you for your crude drawing of a watch face. However, it is our policy to not accept solicitations, and our lawyers advise us to put them immediately into the trash.
>Yours truly,
>Seiko

>I don't understand utility patents

Sure, if they have a 9015. Armida, Aevig, obris

Attached: DSC01424_s.jpg (700x780, 106K)

>tricking me into watching pluta

fuck off