Networking

So what Hardware you retards using? I'm currently running PFsense on a Shuttle minipc with dual intel NICs connected to a Zyxel PoE dumb switch

Attached: zyxel.jpg (600x600, 17K)

Ubiquiti Edgerouter X, UAP-AC-LITE, Raspberry Pi set up as a pi-hole. Old gaymen machine with FX-8350, 16GB DDR3, OS SSD and ~2TB of HDDs running Fedora set up as a NAS, also running the UniFi controller software for the WAP, SSH/SFTP, VNC, Apache with SSL and a few other minor things. I want to move the NAS to CentOS at some point but otherwise I'm happy with it.

Oh, and all ethernet switches are Netgear GS308 dumb switches, There are only ~20 devices on the network including the equipment.

ISP supplied router (G1100), 3x3 802.11ac.
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite
A few random 1gbps switches around the house.

Attached: Lan&Wifi speeds.jpg (538x458, 45K)

Dell PE 2u VM Host, with 2x 10gbe fiber links to my 1638p Adtran switch. All of the wired equipment has flat runs to the switch. Router's just a nice off-the-shelf wifi router redone with DDWRT

>he needs anything other than the noosphere to exchange information
jokes aside, what OS is best for a room full of more than 10 workstations connected by lan? i'm talking about a secure and easy to use OS.

Running an Untangle UTM on an i7-3770S custom Mini-ITX system hooked into a 24port DLINK POE Managed Switch. For wifi I'm using an Untangle UAP Pro.

Honestly I wouldn't run something as critical as a router outside of a VM(snapshots) and without ECC, of course new pfsense versions needs to have decent AES-NI and QAT support so my options are limited on fanless, embedded stuff.

Of course it needs to have more than 2 Intel NICs so it's getting even more hard to find.

Does ddwrt support AC wifi?

We have a device provided by our ISP that looks similar to the one in OP's picture, but it has a thin GPON cable running in it that can't seem to be detached. It also has 4 POTS ports in addition to 4 Ethernet ports (non-PoE I assume)...

What is this machine? How can I get a replacement?

It is really bad chinese crap, but it is difficult to replace because I can't read or find anything about GPON...

Attached: 1518398972203.jpg (699x919, 214K)

I've got 2 386DXs and 486SX set up in a token ring running Novell. I use my boost Mobile phone for internet access.

shorewall+dhcpd for a second nic with a dumb switch when what I really need is a managed switch with vlan and poe

pfSense on PC Engines apu board, 24 port unmanaged gigE switch, WRT3200ACM in dumb AP mode

I think so, mine doesn't have the hardware for it though.

wrt54gs v1.0 tomato shibby + wap54 + motorola sb5100 cable modem

have this combo for like over a decade

Just received new caps from china and will recap both.

Switched to Ubiquiti early this year.

US-16-XG 16 port 10Gb fiber switch for traffic between fileserver/desktop/virtual machine server.

US-24 24 port 1Gb ethernet for everything else wired that doesn't need fiber. I regret getting this and should have gone with the US-16-150W for PoE to avoid having a bunch of injectors.

AP AC Lite for wireless.

Cloud Key for management.

The stupid setup with the ER-X and G1100 router are so that the TV cable box can get internet access (otherwise you lose TV guide) over co-ax and buying a co-ax injector would cost more than just using the G1100. The ER-X is it's own network so any "high threat" devices get plugged into that.

Attached: file.png (1103x849, 88K)

Some Allied Telesyn/Telesis/it depends on what I'm reading fully-managed switch I got for a $50. Insane CLI, like nothing you've ever met, but it does what it says it can do.

I used to swear by anything that was supported by DD-WRT but after upgrading to Asus Merlin, I just can't go back.

Going to build an OpenBSD router but I have no idea what wireless adapter I'm going for yet.
It Broadcom support just as bad as it is on Linux? I had my eye on a few Asus cards.

Any reccs for a cheap AP? Moving into three story house and need some reception for the bedrooms upstairs. Only doing 300 mbps full duplex on my connection. I don't think my current router supports PoE.

>would cost more than just using the G1100
After buying a US-16-XG ($550+), you think it's too expensive to buy a $40-50 MoCA adapter?

Wew lad

1.) pfSense running on some older dual core mATX computer that I added a two port Intel NIC to.
2.) Netgear 1GbE switch
3.) DS916+ Synology NAS
4.) Three CentOS VMs running with a bit of the NAS's extra RAM, for DHCP / DNS / Unifi Controller software.
5.) Ubiquity AC-PRO for wireless access.

Pretty comfy setup. Though if I had to do it again, I'd just build my own server for a NAS / VM host instead of using the Synology NAS as a poor-man's hypervisor, since its processor is nothing particularly special.

The cheapest MoCA adapter I could find at the time was $60. The G1100 was $45 on ebay.
There is also no guarantee that a generic adapter would work with the Verizon box. Better safe than sorry.

Just look around online, there are dozens of people running Pfsense boxes and using the MoCA adapter to give set top box guide info and caller ID shit.

You have to do some port forwarding if I remember correctly, but it's not hard.

pfSense on a Supermicro Server with an SSD and 2 old Dell 4 Port Gigabit Server NICs.

>Honestly I wouldn't run something as critical as a router outside of a VM
Dude, you never run a fuckin router inside a vm in a production environment, are you nuts?

Well, it IS summer...

I use token ring and csma/cd with a bridge in between.

A bit late to fix it at this point. I know for next time though.

Not the user you replied to, but there is nothing wrong with routers / firewall VMs as long as you have the proper redundancy built-in (clustering / A-P / hot standby via Dynamic routing, L2 stuff if needed, etc.) and don't unintentionally create a single point of failure like putting both on the same VM host / UPS.

At home, who the fuck cares as long as you know how to fix it.

>Not the user you replied to, but there is nothing wrong with routers / firewall VMs as long as you have the proper redundancy built-in
It is not redundancy that you have to worry about, it is security issues in the host system.

Also performance issues on networking with virtualized adapters and shitty drivers.

Virtual will definitely have less performance than hardware, pound for pound.

But abstraction from hardware has benefits too -- scalability (assuming you have the necessary resources available), flexibility, etc.

I definitely wouldn't run a production network device on the same host as a workstation / server VM, but I think attacking the hypervisor angle is kind of overblown as long as the admin takes proper precautions and keeps up with maintenance and such.