THANK YOU BASED INTEL

anandtech.com/show/12828/intel-launches-optane-dimms-up-to-512gb-apache-pass-is-here

THANK YOU BASED INTEL

Attached: 2_678x452.jpg (678x290, 34K)

Better nate than lever.

Why hasn't micron used 3dxpoint yet if it seems like its commercially viable at this point?

Attached: 1488050794051.jpg (153x123, 4K)

AMD BTFO

SAMSUNG, MICRON, SK HYNIX BTFO

Amd has a software solution store solution called storeMi and it shits over pooptaint

Honestly im kicking myself over for not having AMD board just for that feature.

AMD's solution isn't hardware and can actually use Optane :)

>persistence ram
>there will be a time in the not so distant future where some poor sysadmin will have to use a usb floppy disk to clear the ram contents
so this is the power of intel bribes on the server business. cool

I don't even need it I'm all ssd lol x470 master race

It might require certain specialized hardware or bios features to zero it out. (that would prevent the program from running on the optane)

that would make it even worse
i don't want to live in this world anymore

in memory DBs are gonna love that shit tho

Is it gonna be faster than 900p or 905p nvme optanes?

who the fuck wants a hard drive that's locked down to one processor vendor? miss me with that shit

Attached: stallman_thumb.jpg (221x221, 16K)

So what is it?
I hear this thing used as a cache for your hdd/ssd just like Memory RAM but you can't use it as Memory RAM, the system not recognized it.

>So what is it?
Nothing that we'll actually see on the consumer market

Yeah, but still want to know.

I don't get this thing
Is it like a RAM?

Yeah, exactly, what the fuck is its purpose other than occupy ram slots?

If it's made from the same dies as the NVMe/PCIe drives then how is it supposed to be superior?

Is it gonna be faster or less latent this way?

Why is Stallman always fucking right?

The one reason I'm a bit sad to still be on X370.

>a tenth the bandwidth and a thousand times the latency
Nice ram, jewtel.

it's time for your daily upgrade card, old man.

Attached: dims.jpg (600x392, 152K)

It's simply a storage device that has speeds similar to RAM.

It's not even close to current RAM speeds, intel shill.

applications where ram speed isn't necessarily the bottleneck but just having the ram is.

this may cost what 300-1000$, but ram of that capacity would cost what, 6400$

this is interesting, imagine a ram slot for the computer where you just had all your programs loaded up, and all it did was move from the permanent ram to the volatile.

keep in mind, the biggest bottleneck you have is storage space, and even an nvme, when loading something, caps its ass to around 400~mb read because that's as fast as it can go.

if this is able to go full ram speed, or even just full nvme speed but at all times, we got a potential use case.

But you can't use it as storage, right?

the whole point of opmeme is that you could use it as storage too, but I don't know

THIS SHIT CAN'T BE REAL

OH YES

>or even just full nvme speed but at all times
DDR that bitch
you'd definitely need air cooling to keep the temps in check, probably even liquid for the full use of a RAM slot

Optane memory is designed to be a low-cost alternative to ultra dense RDIMMs/LR-DIMMS. They cost an arm and leg and you though DDR4 prices were crazy. Optane runs almost as fast them since memory at those capacities are on the slow side of DRAM.

It was. Take a better processor lock it to fewer cores and less cache, and sell it for less but with an option to unlock those features.

so how long did it take for some one to figure out how to unlock it for free?

They didn't. Each chip had a serial number that was linked to a random ID burned into the silicon. You couldn't read out the ID in any way short of destroying the chip and using an electron microscope, or hacking the database Intel had them in.

Jow Forums you dissapoint me

Optaint actually runs better on AMD

How is the longevity of 3D-Xpoint? Does it degrade the more you write it like traditional flash, or is it a stable long term storage option?

This is part of Intel's grand master plan to make completely standalone systems. Imagine 10 years from now, we will simply buy a BGA motherboard directly from Intel with the processor, ram, and 1TB of Optane hardwired onto the board. You just shove it in a case and it works; the only thing you'd ever need to attach is a video card if you're a gamer.

Fuck my shit up senpai.
J U S T.
This can't be real.
Fuck capitalism and consumerism

Attached: 1527231557087.jpg (960x960, 86K)

>How is the longevity of 3D-Xpoint?
Even consumer 900p is rated for 10DWPD.
>Does it degrade the more you write it like traditional flash
Of course it does.

smoothbrains not realizing this was a meme all the way back in 2010

jesus I want neo/g/ out

I cant wait for the market standard to be that everything you buy becomes a brick after a week by design

>and 1TB of Optane hardwired onto the board.
Oh, imagine the butt-hurt! "Hard wired? That means I can't upgrade when I want to".

no speccs?

>RAM with limited write durability

Attached: HdyYfIF.gif (300x177, 430K)