Helpdesk

Is helpdesk a dead end Jow Forums career? I currently make $15/hr doing it and am wondering if there's anything I can work up to from there.

Attached: nS8d26L.gif (1008x567, 1.4M)

Yes, helpdesk is a good stepping stone to a career in IT.

helpdesk is the beginning of your journey to become a sysadmin, or so i've heard
--

thhats the first year or 2.

Look here is a secret, Go on a contract role. Ok it will give you a good 20 $ hr raise. And than you continue from thhere.

Shit just 4 years ago i was a god DAMN MOVER at microsoft. Now i work with fun tools like Caron Black and variety of others.

Everyone has to suffer trough it dude
It'll get better if you work towards it

Sadly I've heard so too
But being a sysadmin is totally worth it

Depends on literally 1 thing: do you have kids or child support?

If so then abandon all hope else you can literally do anything you put your mind to if you work and study hard enough.

If you stay there more than a year, yeah.

I'm a sysadmin that went help desk -> desktop support -> jr sysadmin -> sysadmin in ~4 years if you have any questions you want answered.

once you reach sysadmin, how much do you have to communicate with others vocally?

How the hell do I get in the door with no experience and what are good resources to learn sysadmin skills

very little, outside of my teammates. I work on our windows/active directory/vmware/azure/office 365 enviroment, which means little to no interaction with the average user. Most day to day tasks are given to the desktop team. Now if I have to communicate with someone outside emails, its usually launching a application we set up for the executives or support calls with a vendor.

I dunno. I had a degree in political science and got started as an intern because a family friend was the head of IT of the company I was on the help desk/desktop team for.

>what are good resources to learn sysadmin skills
Please
I must know
All praise be to the sysadmin, for he keeps things working
AAAAAAHRCH LINUX

for resources I mostly am self taught. The sysadmin subreddit on reddit is a fantastic resource along with people on twitter such as @swiftonsecurity and others like her. Microsoft also offers fantastic resources on technet, and hyper-v is a free hypervisor if you want to learn virtualization. I maintain a homelab on hyper-v with an almost exact copy of what I use at work for testing purposes. AWS and Azure can be used very cheaply, and there are a lot of resouces out there offering tutorials on how to get started if you're more interested in "devops". Which, unfortunately, I think is going to be the way the industry moves forwards. Less and less traditional administration is necessary in the cloud.

Screenshot
I autistically thank you

We use terraform for AWS if you're interested in more of the cloud side of things. They have pretty good tutorials on their website.
If you want to be really ahead of the average sysadmin right now, learn a language like Python. I'm assuming you're already competent in bash and/or powershell depending on your os level of choice. If you're interested in Linux more, you should be proficient in bash and able to get by in powershell. windows, proficient in powershell and working knowledge of bash. I use Python along with Terraform a lot, so I'd recommend learning Python too.

Is there some kind of direct-to-cloud career path or is it still a matriculation from regular systems roles?

I work night shift at a meat packing plant. Your life is good faggot, calm down.

not really. It's more a mixture between the traditional sysadmin role and the developer role. Depending on what you're better at, you can go from either path to the cloud world. Cloud security is a hot topic right now too, and I see people get started in infosec out of college, but if you dont have any understanding of infrastructure.
its kind of laughable that you'd be in charge of security.

lie. pick a place that you know went out of business and say you worked there as a jr sysadmin. as long as you know your shit in the interview you should be ok. getting an interview is gonna be the hardest part.

Sorry. I'm just miserable because I held myself to a standard and I've missed it so I'm a failure where every day I'm further from it. My dog will be dead in a month, recently diagnosed mother in short years, and a father already aging rapidly before I could ever buy him nice things. I didn't mean to first-world bitch, its just really specific to me and where I pushed myself.

Unironically go to church.

6 years ago I started off in a helpdesk position after being a linux hobbyist and bartender.

got lucky, got into programming paradigms geared for "the cloudz" bullshit, and it really apparently was the right time.

lead developer for a datacenter rack reseller and hosted provider. life isn't so bad. don't turn it down if it means a foot in the door.

Attached: waifthon.gif (400x480, 124K)

>

To add, your answer was probably the best reality answer I could get. Thanks man and I hope things open up for you

I like it. I'm probably going to do that actually

How much do you make?

I make 120k and a bonus of 10k if i hit some metrics. I just hit it too the other week I feel like ripping a fat blunt