DDR5

Do you think it's worth waiting for DDR5 (2019-2020) instead of upgrading from DDR3 to DDR4 today?

Attached: ddr5.jpg (1280x720, 85K)

You don't have to postpone your entire build because you think faster ram will be here in a couple years.

you can wait for ddr5 to come so ddr4 hopefully becomes cheaper.

>don't have to
That's a weird way to put it. Of course, nobody's forcing me to upgrade at all. I am weighing whether it's a good idea to buy expensive DDR4 today. Will DDR5 be cheaper? Will it force DDR4 prices down?

I'd wait until DDR5 comes out and buy 2TB of DDR4 for pennies on the dollar.

it'll force ddr4 down, yes, but do you really want to spend 2 years (probably more) waiting?

>t. gaymer
disgusting

You wish.

Inb4 twice as vulnerable to row hammer.

A big reason I am actually considering waiting is that the Zen 2 architecture is also scheduled for release in 2019. I presume it will have a DDR5 revision released shortly afterwards.

ddr4 prices are coming down soon. It takes a long time to scale production. They didn't invest as much as they should've early on.

Something better will always be coming.

It's too expensive either way. Consumer gains from newer RAM is unremarkable for the dosh you shell out.

Real soon

Attached: 2_678x452.jpg (678x290, 34K)

Don't buy ram right now.
Samsung and micron are being investigated even by fucking china due to making a cartel.
The entire price spike is fake as fuck there's no lack of products and the demand is stable even with the full retard miners out there.
Fucking wait and pay half the price once they get fucked.

They always say the new stuff is faster but the problem is they mean it is faster than the slowest last generation ram when it first was released. Now ddr4 is much faster than when it was released. Matter of fact when ddr4 was released there was ddr3 that was faster!

>Power9 arch already on PCIe 4.0
>Cost $1200 for a complete computer
>No DDR5
What is this shit? Why even care? 4.6ghz DDR4 exist and provides little benefit over 2400mhz ram, though it is basically double the speed... Maybe 2% FPS difference in some gayms?

I don't understand, I've been using DDR3 for years and still don't think it's ever a bottleneck. I could have the best of all other parts on the market and even then I don't think RAM would be what's holding me back. Am I retarded?

Attached: 1525643619547.png (480x480, 200K)

Nah, you're fine

>4.6ghz DDR4 exist and provides little benefit over 2400mhz ram
More than 2% but yeah, it's small.

Attached: farcry5-ddr4-clock-speeds-normal-645x583[1].png (645x583, 216K)

DDR5 wont become available to consumers until 2021 or 2022

That will be great for integrated graphics right?

12% isn't exactly small

Also not running at 4.6GHz but whatever.

>tfw perpetually waiting for better parts, never actually upgrading

Attached: 1519375694346.jpg (1200x1378, 664K)

Ddr 5 was looking like shit last i heard. Was fast but like cl45 or some shit. Ill keep my cl15 3000mhz

Just wait until everything goes full hbm stacks.

you've got new Nvidia GPUs this year, 7nm Navi coming next year, 7nm Zen2, and maybe 10nm Intel CPUs if they get their shit together but that looks unlikely

assuming it follows the trend of 3200-3733 MHz it should be around 12% anyways

DDR4 will stay the same, DDR5 will be more expensive. Same for the next line of GPUs compared to current line, and same for next line of CPUs and MOBOs. The price fixing is in

Still using DDR2, no fucks given.

yeah me too, fuck that shit.

Attached: image.jpg (851x560, 56K)

Is DDR3 cheaper now that DDR4 is out?
Do you think DDR5 will affect DDR4 in a significantly different way?

No it's not worth it. It's several years away and will be needlessly expensive for at least a year like DDR4 was.

ironically no, that samsung fire lead to resellers jacking up the prices, and never bothering to drop them.

DDR5-6400 is coming.

Does anything past DDR2 even matter?

GPU maxed out in this test. Run 720p

Will this SD-RAM even be a real improvement over EDO? Those 16MB modules are almost twice as much.

Problem with this is they didnt tighten up the timing at the lower speeds. 2400mhz ram isnt normally cl16

It isn't that much faster though

sounds pretty well desu, just got 3000Mhz ddr4 RAM a couple of days ago and holy shit my wallet man. This better be cheaper or I'll kill myself.

Eh forget it I'm just gonna kill myself anyway

just like DDR3 is now worthless!

>They didn't invest as much as they should've early on.
This isn't even true. In 2016 and 2017 the demand grew like 3.5 to 4x. No one was ready but gamer babbies still insist it's MUH CARTEL because they don't understand the real world

Yeah and GPUs will have HBM by then

>2x the speed of ddr4
>4x the price of ddr4
>8x the latency
>16x the power consumption
>32x the compatibility issues

True but I'd change 8x for 1/8 16x for 1/2 and 32x for 1x

i thought we had ddr5 in graphics cards

that's gddr5

yep im hoping my $350+ aud flarex 3200 lasts till i die
sadly the CL3x+ timings on the ddr5 prototypes fuck with ryzen so it might be a while till its fixed on either the memory or cpu/mobo side

There will never be a reason to upgrade from DDR3 + LGA 1155, OP.

Attached: 1527159362861.jpg (396x388, 37K)

>mfw I wait for DDR6 then laugh at OP stuck on DDR5

Attached: AAAAAAHAHAH.jpg (2544x4000, 865K)

>using ddr2
don't notice a difference honestly. I don't really game though. I bet it would be slightly more useful in ramdisk type application.

according to torvalds teck tups he claimed that that was closer to ddr3 level speeds anyway.

>built a cheap shitbox i3-4150, 8gb DDR3 and 750ti 4 years ago
>still don't feel bottlenecked or constrained

Why even bother?

this
I don't see a reason to upgrade my i7 4790 and 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz in the foreseeable future
everything runs smoothly and perfectly

Jesus Christ, and I'm still on DDR3

OP DDR6 are only 10-15 years away! I'd wait for those if I were you.

DDR3 a shit

>ddr5 comes out
>gpu utilization will increase
>2080ti will have 64+6GB of available ram
Will 1080p finally be obsolete? 4K is going to be effortless to run.

Well, there goes my upgrade path...
FUCKING AMD.

Literally what nigga?
Even DDR2 is fine today.

who cares if DDR5 is faster? its still dram, its still nowhere near as fast as the sram available to your CPU's registers and cache
most programs aren't going to spend 50% of the time randomly getting data just for a single use
the vast majority of the time, the program will keep using the same data over and over again for a given interval of time, in which case, it will use your cache

Are you even going to be able to tell the difference without having to read that one has some numbers that are higher than the other?

you're not supposed to upgrade unless you actually have to. if you can comfortably wait, then wait.

Depends on your tasks. You still can install 32 GB of RAM on 2600K/FX8320 and live with it for another five years, even if you play games. If you don't, 8GB are still enough.

no

duuuuuude unless you run really specific applications fast ram like that is useless and I'm not talking about games

dimm-format ssds
pci-ex being replaced
single-level storage
risc-v

Absolutely not worth waiting to upgrade just because of the memory.

do ram speeds even matter compared to cpu speed?

in very few situations is the difference between ddr3 and ddr4 system ram noticable.

Particularly when you're already running higher speed ddr3 like 2133, that goes a long way to closing difference in performance between older platforms and newer ones. (google memory scaling on sandy/ivy bridge).

Unless CPUs are going to make a huge jump in performance (threadripper core-counts on dual channel memory for example) I can't see the extra bandwidth really being something important for the vast majority of users.

>DDR5
>2019-2020
hHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA OH WOW

Zen 2+ maybe. Zen 2 will be DDR4, and remember the controllers are in the CPUs now.

And it could still not max out Crysis

no

cpu speed and cache size are much more important than ram speed, provided you're above 1000mhz

my 7700 and 32gb of ram are default clocked at 1033mhz, and bumping to 2400 (rated speed) only increases my average fps by like 2 or 3 frames in most games

enterprise and workload benefits more from more ram, but even then, it's a guessing game with what will run better

i highly doubt AMD will push DDR5 on AM4 platform. they said that AM4 will be around till Zen 3, so 2020. Zen 5 (if they really skip Zen 4 cause muh numbers in China) will switch platform just as DDR5 will be finalized and used in Servers

Somewhat offtopic, but what is the best price/perf CPU I can buy if I want to keep my DDR3 (I have a ton) and avoid Meltdown? Used or new.

an AMD cpu, apparently.

all intel chips are fucked, but desu I wouldn't really worry about meltdown or spectre if you're running solid malware and antivirus software. the thing intel is worried about is people who only connect their pc's to virus definition updaters every once in a blue moon, seems like the average user who's properly firewalled and does regular sweeps has next to no chance of being affected by spectre or meltdown.

i want ecc ram more then ddr5

ecc costs about 2% performance but with 64+gb ram i want that error correction, especiallly 2 years down the line when i want to never turn of my home pc/server and live patching is finally common place.
hopefully new hardware fixes spectre bugs too

although consumer graphics cards with 32+ gigs of ram might than be available too, because thats what they want for the next gen consoles to last 6 years.

if that happens even more software will start to shill out tasks on the graphics card and in turn regular ram will be almost useless.

although the trend is going to external gpus because of that, so thats what will end up happeing

buy ddr4 than upgrade after ddr5 comes out

>tfw selling my 4790
>getting a 4790k
>proper cooler
>delid it
>OC the hell out of it with 2066 MHz 24GB with fucked up timings
how much will it last until it dies? one year?

16gb of ddr4 cost the same as 6 core meme intel cpu