What do you do to keep you're electronics from being fried by surges? Unplug everything in storms...

What do you do to keep you're electronics from being fried by surges? Unplug everything in storms, double conversion ups, transformers?

Attached: 1513067679809.png (800x2700, 1.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.nema.org/2016/11/17/2017-nec-broadens-requirements-for-surge-protective-devices/
lmfgtfy.com/?q=surge protector on DIN rail
youtube.com/watch?v=HW73y1Nqi4M
tripplite.com/isobar-4-outlet-surge-protector-6-ft-cord-3330-joules-space-saving-plug~IBAR4
tomshardware.com/picturestory/684-tripp-lite-isobar-tear-down.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have everything I give a shit about connected to a decent APC, shit I kind of care about plugged into surge protectors and everything else just plugged in.

And one APC covers just about everything. TV Desktop, monitors and my Nintendo Onions.

More than that is a little over kill.

I just buy new shit when something breaks.

laptop adapter is implicitly a line conditioner

I have a UPS, it can tackle surges as well.

If you don't have lightbulbs (incandescent or CFL) blowing out every time there's a storm, you don't need surge suppression. At all. Not even the fake surge suppression powerstrips that don't actually do much of anything. Switchmode power supplies will happily eat a lot of mains weirdness.

But spikes will stress the input capacitor leading to premature failure.

slightly less than shittier reporting in

Attached: 8872541945886.jpg (600x337, 18K)

Lightning has the ability to complete a circuit from the fucking sky to the ground, it is adorable when people like you think some consumer or even prosumer device can actually handle a real surge

>buys overpriced gimmicks because saw on tv shop
>immediately posts dumb shit on some board without any researching.

>Either retarded and doesn't know that there is a surge protection already installed in the fuse box, or nigger tier apartment and steals electricity from the nearby house and doesn't even have a fusebox.

You can't get a permit to power up an apartment without having a surge protection (+ GFCI at every wet location) installed you retard. Well unless you live under the bridge.

Not to mention that even a regular fuse has a reaction time so short that will blow out before any damage is caused.

Attached: CE-IP40-Surge-Protector-Class-D-Surge.jpg_350x350.jpg (350x350, 46K)

All you need to stop a lightning is to have arc discharge element with lower inductance than the protected circuit. The lighting will arc to the ground before it reaches the circuit, at which point it will not go into it because the arc had much lower resistance. Static protection 101.

>implying everyone lives in the EUSSR

I just know how to repair shit after storm. The most expensive case I had - rare-earth chinesium PWM IC died and I had to order it from china for fucking 5$.

In exUSSR GFCIs are not necessary. But they are installed in all new buildings tho.
And surge protection is not existent.

It's NEC code you retard.

Attached: 300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg (300x200, 13K)

Not applied to all country though.
However, as long as middle-class area, houses will always has one pre installed.

especially with negative inductance

NEC means National Electrical Code, which by the definition means it's applied to the whole country.

I live in America is so power surges never happen

Type 2 SPDs aren't required for residential power as far as I can find.
blog.nema.org/2016/11/17/2017-nec-broadens-requirements-for-surge-protective-devices/

Maybe the Soviets made power plants that didn't surge or some shit.

Depends where you live, in most of Europe it would be regulated by the BS7671 and it should be installed, but even if it isn't - it's a 20-30 bucks device and it can be installed in any fusebox.

They do, this is why we have 'pilot' extension strip, that has couple varistors in it and 16A fuse.
And it does nothing, with soviet stable 200-260VAC in wall.
In EU - probably, I am speaking about russia, ukraine and other kazakstans.

Surges happen every time your fridge, AC, pump, or some other motor powers off.

>but even if it isn't - it's a 20-30 bucks device and it can be installed in any fusebox.

This
Unless you live in a house made of shit in Somalia, you don't need additional electricity protection

Cheapest GFCIs - like 10-15$, and they work, I've accidently tested them.
And surge protectors - they just don't exist, there are no DIN rail mountable devices.
Anyway, major problem is not high voltage spikes (most devices will have MOVs inside), but burnt neutral wire, so instead of 220V we have 380V... This burns pretty much anything.

When I just bought the flat they were still finishing the adjacent building, and they were using welders just plugged into mains. When it ran the voltage would drop, but it did not surge above nominal value when they'd stop, it just instantly returned to normal.

>what is grounding and bounding

Attached: .jpg (710x502, 94K)

I buy broken shit and sue my electricity company whenever there is a storm.

i use a pure sine wave UPS, it's okay.

>Second facepalm today..

lmfgtfy.com/?q=surge protector on DIN rail

>lmfgtfy.com/?q=surge protector on DIN rail
I meant by 'doesn't exist' doesn't exist in my shithole.
Because it is useless, since majority of buildings and transmission lines are grounded.

>using ac power

>doesn't exist in my shithole.

Neither do PC's but you got one eh?

Those exist tho.

Online back ups and insurance

Probably doesn't do shit for surge protection but it makes me feel good. The layout and pivoting sockets are very handy.
What it does do is increase SNR of my cable broadband by a significant amount. And also closes (uh, opens?) a ground loop on the cable so I no longer hear it in my guitar amp plugged into the same circuit.

Attached: belkin_bp112230_08_pivotplug_12_outlet_surge_protector_505999.jpg (1000x1000, 84K)

Not living in 3rd world countries

I never gave a shit about it and never had something burn aside from an old ADSL modem

live in a 1st world country and don't have to bother with this shit

I don't live in a shit country so my power is already protected and isolated at the power pole.

its going underground power soon and will probably get even more upgraded protection.

all the power protection crap is just sold to people who live in shithole apartments in newyork or other big citys that power system is from the 1930s or some thing.

Why the fuck you even spending money on this for personal use you dumb cunts this is for business industry shit holy fuck nigga how shit is your country if you need to do this on your end

All you need is a cheap surge protector, wtf are you on about UPS's?? fuck those, move away from the shithole country you're living in.

I unplug electronics.

Live in a first world country where the electronic environment of the house already takes care of that

>no gfci anywhere
>no type2 spd at the pannel
>cheater plugs disconnect ground everywhere

Being american is suffering

>wtf are you on about UPS's

An online UPS transforms all AC into DC and back to AC again totally isolating everything from the outside.

You can't hide from lightning
youtube.com/watch?v=HW73y1Nqi4M

still good to have if theres some maintenance that requires turning the power off

>>Either retarded and doesn't know that there is a surge protection already installed in the fuse box

Is this really common?

I'm 33 and have never used anything but the "shit tier" surge protector power strips. I have never experienced a power surge.

Is this some sort of eurotrash problem?

Attached: sketch-1527287291436.png (1440x1080, 679K)

Sooner or later they wear out and burst into flames.

Attached: 100_2616_small.jpg (800x366, 42K)

thi shit makes no difference though

I just happen to have one of these and don't think I would really trust in a massive thunderstorm. At least it filters out some anomalies form the mains but I'm not really sure about that either.

Attached: item_XL_10329680_13153064.jpg (600x268, 13K)

We already have electricity rods installed in our area for some reason. But im thinking of buying this tripplite surge protector to replace my current chink plastic one. Any thoughts?

tripplite.com/isobar-4-outlet-surge-protector-6-ft-cord-3330-joules-space-saving-plug~IBAR4

Take it apart and find out

Most people live in old houses that haven't been updated to code. America is a surprisingly old place

Only negative is
>Circuit Breaker (amps): 12
>Output (Watts): 1440

literally every house

Actually, little but continuative outages (even if the PC doesn't even turn off) can cause serious damage over time.
I keep an UPS for every expensive device that doesn't have a battery.
Obviously a powerful surge (lightning or something) render this protections nearly useless.

I insured my entire house and belongings for only 300 bucks a year. Last year when I wanted to replace my prebuilt computer(they won’t replace shit you built) I only paid $250 deductible.

I've never experienced a surge in all 20 years of my life. Stop living in a country with shitty grids.

These things are just an additional fuse, they don't have any AVR capability as far as I know.
I mean, better than nothing anyway.

Put a tester in a plug and monitor how much the voltage changes over time.
Maybe you experienced minor sudden variations of the voltage but you just didn't notice.
Also, I envy your grid system.

Perhaps there has been minor surges, but I've never had any equipment break because of it. Most power supplied have some form of built in protection.

With new apartments and houses you are correct in that surges are mostly mitigated at the box. However with older homes or older apartments their nigger tier electrical work is grandfathered in as long as no upgrades are done to it in the future. In other words a 1950's home that is using some old 100 amp aluminum electrical tubing is up to code, as long as Pablo doesn't do any work on it, despite the current code stating 200 amps is the bare minimum.
You mentioned GFCI which wasn't mandatory in a new home up until the late 90's.
Also, your assumptions also assume that every plug is grounded properly in a home, more often than not the neutral is bypassed because "Who needs grounding?."
You are absolutely incorrect in assuming that a regular fuse has a reaction time fast enough to protect electronics. Electricity flows through copper at 280 million meters a second, the standard fuse in a home will trip in 0.1 seconds after its load becomes double. During that 0.1 second time frame and knowing the speed of electricity through copper, there was enough time to allow 28 million "electrical currents" through the door before the fuse tripped. So in other words, your shit is fried. The only way you can fully rely on your fuse box to protect your electronics is if you went out of your way to buy and install fast acting fuses, because as I said they are not the default in home/apartment development. Those who go out of their way to protect their electronics with additional methods are not retarded. They understand the danger a high electrical current poses to electronics. You however are a fucking retard.

Attached: what in retardation.jpg (250x250, 9K)

>What do you do to keep you're electronics from being fried by surges?
I live in a 1st world country.

some really old european apartments wont even have grounding. its nice when you can feel electricity when you touch the computer case

Talk to your state people. GFCI is required damn near everywhere anymore. If you rent, your landlord is likely in violation.

>literally every house

In what nation?

Unplug i've had couple electronic ruined like once or two times before could investing in good plugs help it may.

Not all surges are explosive. Small surges can kill your stuff slowly over time.

>rent

I rent out.

>landlord is likely in violation

STFU!

Brown outs are also a major issue that most people don't think of

>there was enough time to allow 28 million "electrical currents" through the door before the fuse tripped.

Attached: 1295066490268.jpg (300x562, 34K)

>Brown outs are also a major issue that most people don't think of

Only in commiefornia

tomshardware.com/picturestory/684-tripp-lite-isobar-tear-down.html