/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: SEgold1.jpg (1140x760, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xda.nachonotch&hl=en
google.com/search?ei=1qYPW5rlAcLrUtqDsbAG&q=lg g6 bootloop&oq=lg g6 bootloop&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i7i30k1j0i7i10i30k1j0i7i30k1j0i67k1j0l2j0i30k1l4.2859.3474.0.3707.3.3.0.0.0.0.103.272.2j1.3.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.3.268....0.JqvnUKJUS8g
youtube.com/results?search_query=lg g6 bootloop
youtube.com/watch?v=1Gy_eGcngcI
youtube.com/watch?v=zQaCpFkeoLs
youtube.com/watch?v=P4WFxTR0ffQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qYiTmrbMntA
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_8-9065.php
gsmarena.com/xioami_mi_8_official_3d_face_unlock_dual_gps-news-31392.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm thinking of getting a used Sony Xperia compact. I've heard that the z3 lasts (but is dated now), and the xz1 is great, but pricey atm.
Any word on the z5? I only worry about it's 2GB of RAM for any web browsing.

Xperia Z5 had the dreaded Snapdragon 810. Stay away from this phone user

2GB of RAM is fine for web browsing, the SOC on the Z5 sucks ass though. So if you want to do anything CPU intensive - eg not web browsing, it's gonna light up a fire in your pocket.

I will fucking lose my mind if pictured phone is real

I've been using a Z5 since my 6p got 810'd.

This one's 810 stays pretty cool with the heatpipes, the phone might be warm but that's good since its effeciently dissapating heat. I'm hoping to upgrade soonish but this phone is totally nice. Other choices are good too but this phone is rock solid.

I have a Z5 too, and it does everything except "stays pretty cool". The thing is a furnace. The only way you can get it to stay cool is to put minimal load on the CPU.
So something like browsing web would keep it cool, but something like playing a game would make it go up in smoke.

It's a matter of how much you use the CPU. It gets REALLY hot if you put it on full burn. To be fair, I suppose most people don't do that. It's still a pretty shitty SOC tho, and even in light usage the battery life is trash, even on the Z5 compact which has a much less power hungry screen. Something like the XZ1 will run laps around it. Easily worth the extra money.

Maybe the Z5 is better than other 810 phones, but that SOC is rubbish. I love the design of my Z5 but that crappy SOC which drains the battery like it's going out of fashion is really ruining the mood.

Besides battery life it's been good for me. But probably not worth buying now. I think you should get the X Compact since it's around the same price. More efficient processor plus better screen and ram.

I remember Sony had some unique heatpipe solution compared to the other 810 phones that helped mitigate it's issues.

Attached: xperia z5 compact.jpg (3745x3021, 998K)

What phone that currently has the best camera? Pixel 2?

Samsung S9 too

Im looking to upgrade my s6. Is the pixel 2xl worth it at 600? I was looking at a nokia 7 plus but shipping to the us is aids and band support

Compact X seems to be what I'm looking for. How come there as so few of them on ebay? There's plenty of z5's and xz1's

Moto G6 looks good

they won't do colored faceplate exposing the sensors/cameras

S9 has the best still photos, iPhone 8 Plus & X has the best video

Anyone have a Nokia 6.1 yet? If so, how's battery life?

not really sure. I see nice condition ones have gone for as low as $130 though

also if you're american make sure you flash another country's rom to get the fingerprint sensor working. xperifirm does it

mee too !

if it has a notch and no headphone jack i will riot outside the store and pelt them with feces

literallly owned every iphone from 1- 6 and IT ENDS HERE

>$130
Maybe the market for them went up because all I see are $200+ for anything in a decent condition
I'm american, so thanks for the hint

Attached: hmm.gif (2048x2048, 1.46M)

So I had to return my new Moto g6 plus.
It took me a while to choose it, but in the few hours using it, it didn't convince to buy another one.

Should I just go for a Redmi Note 5? Mi mix 2?
I don't want to spent another month doing research or waiting for prices to go lower, or new models coming out.

The notch I won't mind, headphone jack is a DEALBREAKER

Yes

>notches
>triple cameras
>glass backs
>no headphone jacks
>non removable batteries
>no IR blasters to control your TV
>$1000 flagships

When did it start going wrong lads?

For me the last truly complete flagship was the Galaxy S5 and the last non retarded flagship was the OnePlus 3(T)

Probably when Apple and Samsung took over and the rest of the companies had to play catch up.

which is best, iOS, Android, or MIUI

Attached: file.png (880x683, 451K)

>mix 2s confirmed for best

Attached: file.png (1271x715, 1.05M)

>huawei owners btfo

Attached: file.png (984x538, 253K)

Xiaomi has been filling this now niche market. You also forget edge gimmicks and slightly above average battery capacity, but only on even more overpriced plus models of Samsung's flagships.

Am I supposed to be able to understand chink?

What are these two pictures about?

Attached: 1489037111751.jpg (1280x847, 260K)

Attached: file.png (875x467, 376K)

How do you guys go about keeping lint/dust build up off your phone? Do you guys store your phone in pocket or put a microfiber cloth around it then in pocket. Really OCD about my phone and was wondering what you guys do to keep it in good condition.

Attached: C1rCKrE.png (599x456, 241K)

Attached: file.png (1091x624, 408K)

Attached: file.png (875x473, 457K)

Attached: file.png (1150x573, 664K)

Attached: file.png (678x432, 179K)

>giant ass notch for no reason
Why.

wtf how

Attached: file.png (486x220, 137K)

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xda.nachonotch&hl=en
I only worry about edge gimmicks, the lack of micro SD card slots and 3.5mm audio jacks. Many flagships exclude this, just as how I will exclude myself from being their target market if this continues.

Had my Pixel 2 for about 6 months, I thought the edge was gonna be a gimmick but I actually use it multiple times a day, but that's because I use the assistant quite often

It's another point of hardware failure, that was the point I was making. As we know, those edges are harder to protect and are prone to glare.

>I only worry about edge gimmicks
As in Samshit stuff?
>the lack of micro SD card
It's hilarious given a lot of phones have dual-SIM tray.
>3.5mm audio jacks
Just use a dongle.
I've been using them since early SE days and it's always okay.

Attached: file.png (1274x638, 1.24M)

>I only worry about edge gimmicks
>As in Samshit stuff?
And whichever smartphone manufacturer includes them as well. But yes, those curved edges.
>3.5mm audio jacks
>Just use a dongle.
Given that bluetooth audio technology isn't up to par and it would still sound like listening to compressed full albums on YouTube, I think it is reasonable to avoid this trend.

Why is the Moto g6 regular version advertised as either 3gb/4gb 32gb/64gb models but all that's available is the 32gb model? I've called Motorola and even the brown person on the phone speaking shitty English couldn't tell me if there was going to be a 64gb Moto g6 released in the US

US G6 is only 3/32 version

How?

Hey guys, why does 1+5t still cost $520?

>Given that bluetooth audio technology isn't up to par and it would still sound like listening to compressed full albums on YouTube, I think it is reasonable to avoid this trend.
Most phones sound like shit one way or another.
Only LG puts some reasonable effort into sound.

Attached: file.png (1142x711, 472K)

Attached: file.png (781x687, 538K)

Easy.

It doesn't.

And if it does it's only by OCing to hell and back if it notices it's being benchmarked and won't be able to keep this performance in day to day use.

Attached: file.png (721x375, 336K)

Attached: file.png (750x421, 199K)

This is what peak performance looks like

Attached: file.png (368x528, 235K)

Got a new LG G6 for 20 bucks today on my grandfathered $30/mo plan.

Has LG learned to solder yet or should I be expecting boot loops? I'm liking the taller display for app usage and it's pretty comfortable to use one handed for the most part.

Attached: csm_LG_G6_1920_b3683c716b.jpg (738x554, 81K)

I think G6 is the one without bootloops.
It's a decent phone overall.

Animoji but communist

Attached: file.png (1006x633, 352K)

Attached: file.png (828x413, 318K)

That rabbit looks like Keroro

google.com/search?ei=1qYPW5rlAcLrUtqDsbAG&q=lg g6 bootloop&oq=lg g6 bootloop&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i7i30k1j0i7i10i30k1j0i7i30k1j0i67k1j0l2j0i30k1l4.2859.3474.0.3707.3.3.0.0.0.0.103.272.2j1.3.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.3.268....0.JqvnUKJUS8g
youtube.com/results?search_query=lg g6 bootloop
Ever wondered why you bought a flagship for just $20? At least it wasn't that big of a gamble.

Most of those results are people just asking if the G6 has the issue. Seems to be a non issue on this model.
LG phones always get big discounts a few months after release

Anyone on Consumer Cellular? Don't ask why, that's just how it is.
Does the Xiaomi Mi A1 work on their 4G frequencies?

WillMyPhoneWork is giving me
>Device is compatible with some of the network carriers frequencies. It may work.

>Seems to be a non issue on this model.
Did you not click on a single link? They're not just questions.
>LG phones always get big discounts a few months after release
But not 80% discounts.

>Did you not click on a single link? They're not just questions.
I clicked the links and it's people asking "Does G6 bootloop" and people replying with "No"

Root it and de boat it

So which Mi8 will have under screen fingerprint scanner?

ZUCK SPOTTED

Attached: file.png (874x479, 325K)

Z5 will overheat, has terrible battery life and mediocre camera software. Design is great and it has a headphone jack s there’s that. If you want a Sony go for a newer gen, they don’t have the issues with the Lagdragon 810 since they use better SOCs.

I don't like the design of the Moto G6 or X4.
Is the G5+ still a good buy?

The non-removable batteries are a fair trade off for water resistance in my opinion, the glass backs is annoying but ok if you get wireless charging and triple or double cams are gimmicky by nice if get something useful frm it like wide angle or a big low light sensor or something.

Notches, lack of headphone jacks and ridiculous prices are absolute shit tier though

Attached: 995D92E5-11B3-4954-A4A6-363A8CCF4EB5.jpg (662x455, 109K)

>I clicked the links and it's people asking "Does G6 bootloop" and people replying with "No"
You're really pretending to be thick, aren't you? No on a forum you didn't care to mention confirms it? Come on.
youtube.com/watch?v=1Gy_eGcngcI
youtube.com/watch?v=zQaCpFkeoLs
youtube.com/watch?v=P4WFxTR0ffQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qYiTmrbMntA
If it was really just $20, you shouldn't care.

Yeah I'm not seeing what you seem to be describing. There are a couple bricks with retards fucking up rooting their phone but that's par per course with any device.

Also it was 20 bucks as an open box within 1 week return. Normally I think they would front me 220 on a basic $45/mo no data plan because Canadian telecoms are ridiculous. So I got an unusually good deal

Will be interesting to see how it compares with the S7 day to day.

Attached: 006mP5moly1frukwc4vjgj30u09gbqvb.jpg (690x7827, 1.42M)

Has this been updated? The Mi 8 doesn't include a micro SD card slot and a 3.5mm audio jack? And only a 3300mAh battery?

Enjoy your phone until it inevitably bootloops. For $20 you couldn't have gotten a better deal.

wireless charging is pretty pointless because you have a worse range. Your phone has to be on the charging pad to charge, so no taking calls or using it while charging in any way.

I was originally going to buy a Pixel 2 XL or S9 to replace my dying Nexus 6P but T-Mobile is selling the Note 8 for $720. Any thoughts?

Do you need the pen?

I've considered it, seems handy since I write notes all the time but it's not necessary. I just find the price and screen very attractive. Otherwise I would immediately go for the other two phones mentioned because of either stock android or newer hardware.

Get the S9, really.
Note8 is kinda pointless with S9 on the market unless you're into the whole pen gimmick.

Xiaomi showed video talking about their original designs and part of video had a fan with 50+ plushies of xiaomi mascot on shelves

The man benefit is that you can charge it whenever you put it down on the pad without having to plug anything in. Probably not good for the battery to charge it in bursts but it can be convenient

For that price, it isn't. And with that faulty hardware, it isn't. With the starting price at launch, it was.

if you are willing to trade convienience and your batteries health to avoid plugging 1 cable in, then you might be retarded.
the public sure isnt willing as wireless charging is more or less a flopped technology

Windows Phone is so cute and comfy

Attached: 1525773992967.jpg (395x513, 25K)

And abandoned.

Such a shame

Redpill me on iPhones.

I currently have a Galaxy S7 and contemplating over buying whatever new iPhone comes out. Should I pull the trigger?

P.S.: I've never used an iPhone before.

No get op6

It’s not like they’d be making the phones aluminum even if they didn’t have wireless charging. And if it’s glass anyways might as well have it, if you don’t like it don’t use it

WP8.1 is finished product, literally nothing to improve, i'm glad i still have my lumia 930 and it work perfectly fine already for 3 years

I don't like OP. It's either a Pixel, Galaxy, or iPhone for me.

>WP8.1 is finished product
If by that you mean finished and abandoned, then yes.
>literally nothing to improve
How about the lack of software?

You do realized Windows 10 has been released for phones, right?

gsmarena.com/xioami_mi_8_official_3d_face_unlock_dual_gps-news-31392.php
>The phone will start from CNY2,699 for the 6/64 GB version. The 6/128 GB is CNY2,999, while the most expensive 6/256 GB version is CNY3,299. These prices translate to between $420 and $515, or between €360 and €440.

>The Explore Edition will have only one variant with 8 GB RAM and 128 GB storage. It will cost CNY3,799 or around $600/€500.

worth the price?

Attached: gsmarena_014.jpg (728x313, 35K)

>5 days

Attached: lz5.png (456x642, 158K)

>no micro SD card slot
>no 3.5mm jack
>3400mAh
>starting prices: $420 - 515$ (€360 and €440)
I would skip this. And what is the logic of excluding such basic and standardized functionality on flagship models?

Wait for the new iphone meme phone

>big ass chin
>big ass notch
pig disgusting

Attached: 108.jpg (606x630, 35K)

Attached: gsmarena_001.jpg (500x800, 113K)