Hey guys

Hey guys.

First time on Jow Forums.

I'm a little in over my head right now and I'm hoping someone smarter than me can point me in the right direction.

For reasons I don't need to get into I have some data forensic work that needs to be done. I have a Samsung phone running Android (not sure what version) OS.

I've done a lot of research on data carving and shredding and in this case I'm trying to use the dd program to copy a bit by bit image of the entire device. Or memory on the device.

I'm having trouble mounting the phone as a drive. for instance I need to be able to run 'lsblk' and see the phone. I don't know much about MTP but I've tried a few programs with no luck.

Any ideas or insight would help me a ton.

Attached: fuckit.jpg (183x275, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol#File_oriented_instead_of_block_oriented_protocol
andriller.com/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Give it back Jamel

>For reasons I don't need to get into I have some data forensic work that needs to be done. I have a Samsung phone running Android (not sure what version) OS.

That is sending all sorts of alarm bells. Did you steal it or are you trying to hack your girlfriends phone?

MTP doesn't give you raw access to the partition. It gives you high level stuff like deleting, creating files etc. File_oriented_instead_of_block_oriented_protocol

Messed up the link
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol#File_oriented_instead_of_block_oriented_protocol

If it really is your first time here, see pic related for a crash course introduction.

Attached: Gentoo.png (1284x877, 73K)

my mom thinks my stepdad is cheating on him. She has txt message logs from her phone provider but it only gives info like date, and number.

She wants to read them. So I agreed to try and find deleted text messages on his phone.

> my mom thinks my stepdad is cheating on him.
Her suspicions probably don't give you or her the right to break into dad's devices.

Maybe she should just get a divorce if her relationship with stepdad has eroded that far that she's a jealous & suspicious & willing to break laws and infringe on her spouse's privacy simply to find out whether she has a right to be angry with her spouse or not.

first, tell your mom that her relationship is deeply broken if she needs to do this, and tell her that she will risk 10+ years of prison if he reports her to the police. if she really wants to go through with it, try andriller.com/.

Give it back samir

I agree with you. I DON'T have the right to access his device but I'm doing this for my mom reluctantly.

She has brought the logs up to him and asked him about specific days where they shared over 50 txt messages and he has either denied it or blown it off.

I agree with you, but it's hard to say no to my mother.

You're not going to get deleted text messages that way bro. Not without paying a LOT of money to a data recovery firm IF you can manage to dump the whole device to an image. By the by, you really only need the /data partition because that's where stuff like text messages are stored. Keep in mind, Android is a linux system, and people don't choose linux for the majority of servers because it's *easy* to break into.

Understand that this is a several thousand dollar endeavor that will likely only turn up slivers of data, such as partial messages with no recipient data nor context.

Instead of looking backward trying to recover deleted messages etc.. try looking forward and install a key logger/data logger on the phone. Set it up to where it emails a dummy account every so often.

I know the legality of it is scary and I don't know if the semantics matter or not, but the account is in my moms name and according to our phone provider both phones are technically hers.

Along with that, and my mom wont admit this, but I think she is try to get this info for legal reasons. Infidelity makes a big difference in divorce court. Although, I'm not sure if the evidence I collect for her will be admissible since it was obtained in such a way.

>people don't choose linux for the majority of servers because it's *easy* to break into
but user, most servers *are* running linux

Tell mom you figured it's a crime to do so after you find the legal advisories that say so [don't have linkage right now].

Look, if this relationship really breaks apart over this, it'll likely be held against her.

> She has brought the logs up to him and asked him about specific days where they shared over 50 txt messages and he has either denied it or blown it off.
Suppose he was just talking about everyday life -good and bad- with that other person, and not about meeting for an afternoon of wild anal sex?

Mom will still be fucking jelly because she obviously isn't the one being talked to. It won't even really help.

> I agree with you, but it's hard to say no to my mother.
Maybe, but it's the obvious thing to do here.

You can't read so good huh? Either that or English isn't your primary language.

I said "they don't choose linux because it's easy to break into" which means "the reason they choose Linux is because it's more secure than most alternatives"

It's like someone buying a Porsche and saying "Well, I didn't buy this car because it's slow".

God damn it, Shaquan.

If my parents asked me to get in their affairs like that they'd risk me never talking to them again. It is wrong and is not your problem user. Be there for them. But don't get covered in their shit.

>You can't read so good huh
>good
I think you mean well.
But yeah, what you said can have both meanings.

Different user. No you just don't understand. It is very clear. People often hear/read what they want to hear.

I didn't buy a banana because it's green.
Without context that statement can either mean
1. I bought the banana, but the reason was NOT that the banana was green
2. I didn't buy the banana because it was green.
Both meanings are valid and are only discernable through context. In this case I wasn't sure what the user was trying to say.

It's mentally taxing on me to think about doing this kind of thing, esspecially with both of my parents involved.
said saying no is the obvious thing to do here. I don't know if I have the strength to do so

>Although, I'm not sure if the evidence I collect for her will be admissible since it was obtained in such a way
No kidding.
Just do what the government does and obtain the information first then work backwards by establishing legality, as opposed to being right in the law and looking for information.
That being said, you’ll more likely than not have to get creative, maybe hire a PI or interrogate the recipient of the texts or her friends or some shit that has zero connection to you breaking into someone’s phone.
But seriously if you’re looking to break into a phone and leave it working exactly the same, you’re going to leave a fingerprint, so let’s hope he’s as tech retarded as you are and can’t find out or you’re fucked.

The messages in question are deleted, whcuh to my knowledge are just moved to the "free space" of the drive and stay there until overwritten.

So no, maybe not all of them but I should be able to carve out old txts from what I've read.

So you're saying that there could be a log of the data
transfer ON HIS PHONE that would have my digital fingerprints on them? again using dd to copy the device to an image file???

So if that were the case he could take his device to someone with forensics knowledge and then be able to identify that it was me?

I suppose after I'm done I could shred every bit of his phones memory. I really don't give a fuck if he has to get a new phone.

Being this retarded