/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: junkie-apu.jpg (1000x842, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/esrille/new-stickney
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ext4#Reserved_blocks
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298848
mesa3d.org/
debian.cs.binghamton.edu/debian
packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/libegl1-mesa
pureos.net/
github.com/wwmm/pulseeffects
init7.net/en/internet/fiber7/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stop picking your distro based on "what's hot on distrowatch".

Attached: varg-vikernes.jpg (500x750, 92K)

Could you tards quit putting "/sqt/" in your OP? Stop shitting up the catalog.

Distrowatch isn't reliable anyway. "How many people are accessing a page of the distro" leaves out the large amount of users quite happy with their distro for many years, or you know, just about anyone who doesn't care about Distrowatch.

How would one go about implementing this Japanese layout github.com/esrille/new-stickney on linux?

dumb frogposter
no

>using the catalog

>not using the catalog

>using the catalog

>not using the catalog along with 4chanX so you can read the op on the catalog

>no knowing when a shit thread with a shit op turns into gold

Can you tell me how? I won't have any os on it it is an archive HDD so i don't need any reserve
thanks

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ext4#Reserved_blocks
Make it a habit to check out Arch/Gentoo/Debian wiki for trivial instructions like this.

tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sdz1
to do it after volume creation (any time, not destructive) where '0' is reserved percent, and sdz1 is the volume in question
mkfs.ext4 -m 0 ... /dev/sdz1
to do it at volume creation time instead

How do i change the bookmark menu/history/scroll bar/browse on Jow Forums to dark or black. I used to have it like that on my old machine and don't remember how I did it.

I can't believe none of the tutorials i used to set up my system and HDDs even mentioned this.. this is incredibly important information

it's possible the authors of those tutorials weren't aware of it either, volumes being a bit smaller than the raw disk is normal for any filesystem, so it's easy to miss on smaller disks
tell me, would you have noticed had you not immediately tried to fill the disk completely?

I would not and the though of having all that waste storage on my NAS never to be used is downright terrifying with HDDs being so fucking expensive.
Ok it said reserved blocks 24418932 and now it says 0. Imma gonna try to copy again now

Excellent I went from needing 100GB to needing to free up only 70MB
So I will be loosing only about the 20G on the ntfs > ext4 switch which is acceptable

it's not 'wasted', it serves a purpose
namely, it reduces fragmentation and improves performance on very full disks, and it allows for more graceful failure when you 'run out of space' (makes it possible, for example, to have a service that notifies or archives things when the disk reaches 100% usage, which may not be possible without some free space)

Sorry, in Firefox.

another major difference between ntfs and ext4, is that ext4 reserves inodes ahead of time as well, while ntfs creates them as needed
this sounds like a negative, but really this just means ntfs can and will fragment basic metadata, since it ends up all over the place

>inodes
ReiserFS' don't have this problem.

ext4 is like the exFAT of linux, built on old and basic technology, it's not really the best at anything, but it's good enough, it also doesn't really suck at anything in particular either

what is thatt???

Attached: nj062YgZH9g.jpg (960x720, 164K)

instead it has a fuckload of other problem that will never ever get addressed because Reiser3 is legacy and Reiser4 never got merged

What is the height of the tab and status bars in qutebrowser? Looks like 20px, right?

I'm running fedora + i3. Firefox keeps on using GTK as a file viewer, and GTK is really bad. I'm using ranger as my default file explorer. How do I get firefox to use ranger to save/open files?

Anyone know how to fix this? It's a laptop screen running on an Intel GPU.

Attached: 1526062112663.webm (1920x1080, 2.88M)

Is there any distro with the stability and minimalism of debian, but
>no systemd
>install option that doesn't use a DE (e.g. ships with some wm like i3 or openbox, mpv for media player, feh for image viewer, etc)
I know I can make my own, but that seems excessively roundabout.

take a screenshot and check
Don't think you can
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298848

Manjaro has openrc spins and community editions with I3, bspwm

Anyone have any experience with the new Ubuntu Mate 18.04? I'm installing linux on a second hard drive and going with Ubuntu because most projects i'm contributing to support it.

I tried it for a little bit, it's great if you're ok with Ubuntu. Would recommend

I only had it for a day but it works well. The only thing that bothered me was that I couldn't "easily" set the volume increments.

I've fucked up my packages with backports, I can't install a package since my version of a dependency is too recent.
What do I do?

Downgrade the package in question.

Can you be more specific?

>tfw 4 hours searching why my script with select didn't gave me errors when running it in sh

Attached: 12345652352.jpg (657x527, 50K)

>bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298848
wow that's fuckin retarded. GTK is so painful to use, no keyboard shortcuts. Firefox is truly made for manchildren.

Any alternatives? Chromium is choppy af for some reason even though I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

is it cuz needs to be run in bash?

There are many such packages. If I downgrade all of them, it probably fucks up something else.
sudo apt-get install libegl1-mesa-drivers
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libegl1-mesa-drivers : Depends: libegl1-mesa (= 10.3.2-1+deb8u1) but 13.0.6-1~bpo8+1 is to be installed
Depends: libglapi-mesa (= 10.3.2-1+deb8u1) but 13.0.6-1~bpo8+1 is to be installed
Depends: libwayland-egl1-mesa (= 10.3.2-1+deb8u1) but 13.0.6-1~bpo8+1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Should I ignore the dependencies, since there is a later version available? Or install the new version that works with 13.0.6-1~bpo8+1 from backports?

I would research how to get chromium running better. firefox is just not that great for me either

yes

Attached: 1416363613092.jpg (535x577, 35K)

Do you even need that package
rich@debian:~$ apt show libegl1-mesa-drivers
Package: libegl1-mesa-drivers
Version: 13.0.6-1+b2
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Source: mesa (13.0.6-1)
Maintainer: Debian X Strike Force
Installed-Size: 56.3 kB
Homepage: mesa3d.org/
Tag: role::shared-lib
Download-Size: 40.8 kB
APT-Sources: debian.cs.binghamton.edu/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
Description: transitional dummy package
This is a transitional dummy package, it can be safely removed.

>This is a transitional dummy package, it can be safely removed.

There's no version of it in backports because it's a virtual package. You're probably looking for something else.

Attached: 3b5d249b169b43a1650ac8d159546fcc80b0a105264c76ad79b4ea653abfcaef.jpg (237x271, 32K)

Oh wait you're on Jessie aren't you

I'm on jessie, using jessie-backports. I'm trying to install libsdl2-dev.
I installed the dummy package for good measure.
Now,
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libegl1-mesa-dev : Depends: libegl1-mesa (= 10.3.2-1+deb8u1) but 13.0.6-1~bpo8+1 is to be installed
Depends: libegl1-mesa-drivers (= 10.3.2-1+deb8u1) but 13.0.6-1~bpo8+1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Can I go ahead and ignore these dependencies?

I wouldn't ignore the dependencies, no, I'd purge the dummy package and try again

If i have a battery with 3V and 2A and a battery with 2V and 3A, are they the same thing?

Dummy package != meta package

But packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/libegl1-mesa isn't a dummy package.

Here is your (You) now hit the road.

No.
3V battery gives higher voltage, can make or break things. However 2V/3A and 2V/30000A are virtually interchangeable.

they have the same current so yes

Ok gotcha. Maybe try getting libegl1-mesa-dev from jessie backports then so they're on the same level?

Then it needs a lot of dependencies, although not large in size.
sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install libegl1-mesa-dev
Building dependency tree
The following extra packages will be installed:
libwayland-dev libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev libxcb-glx0-dev libxcb-present-dev
libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-sync-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxdamage-dev
libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxshmfence-dev libxxf86vm-dev x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-dri2-dev
x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-gl-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev
Suggested packages:
libxext-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libegl1-mesa-dev libwayland-dev libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev libxcb-glx0-dev
libxcb-present-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-sync-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev
libxdamage-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxshmfence-dev libxxf86vm-dev x11proto-damage-dev
x11proto-dri2-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-gl-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev
0 upgraded, 23 newly installed, 0 to remove and 39 not upgraded.
Need to get 955 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,502 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

That doesn't look good, and feels like it would cause further problems down the line.
Are the development headers specific for each version/build of the library?

How do i check if all my software is floss? Is there a command? Absolutely proprietary doesnt work as im on fedora

Adding margins and switching workspaces when you touch the edges is kinda interesting. Does anyone actually work like this?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-02_11-16-41-a.png (953x562, 173K)

If libsdl2-dev depends on libegl1-mesa-dev, it's going to grab those dependencies either way whether you grab it from jessie or from jessie backports. They are specific, yes, but chances are most of those dependencies listed are going to come from jessie, not backports. I would go for it. Backports aren't going to break your system if you know how to work your way around them. You can always undo it.

rms

there's vrms on debian

I did that, and it seems to work. Thanks!

Yep!

I hope not, those are terrible distasteful options.

>2A, 3A
>same current

fpbp

Attached: 1497706876995.png (602x500, 27K)

I want the best battery life, what distro and de do i install (now dumb wms).

do you have gentoo version

I just tested this meme distro -> pureos.net/ cuz it was recommended by FSF.
Surprisingly, despite using gnome it runs very smooth in my desktop and looks like it have really sane defaults.
I'm considering install it, but there's something that really bothers me: It can play my chink cartoons... I mean wtf? It's recommended by FSF and can play shitty h264 encodes? How is that possible?
Anyway it's funny that I was expecting my media collection be totally broken and bother me that it is not kek

Attached: 1527155751521.png (565x541, 157K)

Nope sorry, have this instead.

Attached: 1511123009115.jpg (600x600, 265K)

Attached: LccitGu.png (602x500, 27K)

>It's recommended by FSF and can play shitty h264 encodes? How is that possible?
The h264 patent permits certain uses of the technology without requiring a license (usually playing the media for yourself is an example of this).

If I log out i3, then log in LXDE session, will my i3 config be gone once I log in i3 again?

Hey ya'll,

I'm currently running Debian 9.4 Stretch. I'm trying to be able to hook my laptop up to my TV so I can watch hockey games. I can get it to work, but I want to know if there is a way to:

>plug in HDMI cable and be able to use both laptop screen and TV at the same time showing the same things

>Get TV to not "cut off" or display the right resolution, it's a 4k tv...

I don't know too much about tv's and am still sort of new to Linux. Hope I can find some answers.

Thanks.

Really? How is it that practically none of the free gnu+linux distros can't play them?

thanks

How do I enable spellchecking in qutebrowser? It says "expected value of type list but got str" if I just specify "english".

What desktop environment

/usr/share/qutebrowser/scripts/dictcli.py --help

Is their any resources out to make the ALSA 0-100 master volume have a higher range without audio distortion? It feels a bit limited in that senses by default and amplifying fucks up the sound pretty quick

Finally got the fiber at home. Went from ~2-3 Mbits to 193Mbits.
I had to share it somewhere.

["en-US"]

>how do i make things louder then physically possible without distortion
No.

Alsaequal, although the much better way is to use pulseaudio and github.com/wwmm/pulseeffects . It is much superior in capabilities.

I'm trying not to but I'm having a hard time deciding what to choose.

Well, you probably are right, but of course there are ways to deal with most effects that annoy you.

Attached: pulseeffects_equalizer.png (1960x499, 79K)

My /usr/share/qutebroser dir doesn't have a scripts subdir, only userscripts and img.

Says this is not installed, probably because I cannot use the script the other user posted.

if you're trying to make me feel bad...
it's working.

Attached: th.jpg (242x179, 8K)

> fiber at home
> only 193Mbit/s
But fiber is supposed to be symmetric gbit...?

Do you live in burgerland or europoor?

I got fiber last year and get 900mbit/850mbit

Attached: 1511400721941.gif (250x238, 652K)

says who?

>symmetric gbit
99% of connections never reach 1000mbit.Even municipal cap out around 950 down/850 up

>physically possible
But it is physically possible as I've seen it go louder on a different operating system with 0 distortion

ISPs. Until they hopefully offer 10GBit sooner or later.

Example: init7.net/en/internet/fiber7/

Sure, and there are limits to what bandwidths servers or torrents or whatever will actually provide, too. OTOH there is a lot more BW possible on 4 fiber strands [the minimum per house]. It'll get faster.

>It'll get faster.
They even advertise it as less then 1000mbit if you check the fine print.Run a speed test to your first external hop, you wont get 1000/1000

Install arandr. It should do what you want, if I understand correctly, and is easy to use.

Moving from mint 17.3, which distro is the most friendly with a kaveri a8 7600?

Attached: 156.jpg (1476x850, 196K)