No /tpg/? GNUfag /tpg/ edition

Modern models:
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Windows 10 users go back to ->/v/

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: gnuStallpad.jpg (900x675, 208K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJ7GTKY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A2BROEZP5ZTHI4&tab=&vasStoreID=
amazon.com/AUO-04X0436-Replacement-Screen-Laptop/dp/B01K8HRDE0/ref=sr_1_57?m=A2BROEZP5ZTHI4&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1527927330&sr=1-57&refinements=p_4:AUO
amazon.com/AUO-04X5255-Replacement-Screen-Laptop/dp/B01K8HROVW/ref=sr_1_180?m=A2BROEZP5ZTHI4&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1527927647&sr=1-180&refinements=p_4:AUO
ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-IPS-LCD-i5-2-6-GHz-8-GB-Ram-160-GB-SSD-Webcam-B/131730235694?hash=item1eabbbe12e:g:LAcAAOSwLVZVrOS4
ebay.com/itm/New-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-X220I-X230-X230T-Audio-jack-Headphone-Microphone-port/302157813067?hash=item465a02554b:g:DZUAAOSw03lY6vqQ
ebay.com.au/itm/1X-ThinkPad-X220-X220I-00X220T-Replacement-USB-socket-connector-Jack-Port/292550980892?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

waiting for the new arm macbooks

OK Jow Forums I need some answers quick.
I have a X61T and can get both a X61 and X61s. I wanted to switch my daily driver to one of the X61* thinkpads for a long time and now I have to choose one of them. Which one has the best mods, battery, weight, power, etc. ? I don't like the tablet one since the latch breaks easily and the Wacom screen that I don't use makes it thicker than the other models. Which one would you guys recommend?

Attached: bread.jpg (866x960, 94K)

>willingly cucking yourself out of performance just for the brownie points of using a hipster machine
tell me how you're any different from a macfag

>Which one would you guys recommend?
X61t but i'm biased, 10 years and still going strong.
Such a comfy laptop.

try 11
the **00 series are 10 years old now

I'd go with a x60 for muh libreboot, but I the difference in size between the s models and normal is pretty much unnoticeable on the x60, and x61.

If you swap the battery with the normal 4 cell on the x60s body, it looks a bit wierd and needs a spacer to mount properly.

Battery life is best with normal 4 cell battery and low voltage processor from the slim model, at least with the x60.

I'd recell a chink 4 cell for battery life, and do the 1400x1050 mod, aliexpress has the cable extender..

Projects I work on never require me more than a single core Celeron and 1 GB of ram. I was using my x220 before and I was never able to fully utilize the sandy bridge cpu, so I kept the laptop throttled to hell for extra battery life. I really like the X series and 4:3 screen is always something I looked out for.

Is the P50/P51 a good Desktop replacement?
Does a "professional" gpu perform good with casual gaymes?

Hmm, libreboot is something I want but doesn't yohan processors lack a ton of instructions? Also how's the ram and x86_64 situation on the *60 series? I heard they were pretty old when it came to 64bit support and such.

>tfw 6 hours of battery life on a chink 9 cell with my x200s
1440x900 as well.

>Is the P50/P51 a good Desktop replacement?
yes
>Does a "professional" gpu perform good with casual gaymes?
it's obviously not optimised for that purpose but i guess it's okay

Recommendations for under $500?
>Not a heavy user
>Mostly word documents and web browsing for school assignments
>Shitposting
My friend has a t450 from his job and I really like how it feels. I don't mind spending more than $500, but I really don't need to drop a lot of money on an item that I'm going to use casually.

Macbook Air is perfect for that

So Jow Forums I just got my first thinkpad, its a refurbished x230 in impeccable state, only thing is the when the battery its about 60% it suddenly drops to 5%. Its a 6-cell so I think one of the cells may be fried, am I right?

Attached: IMG_20180531_164759.jpg (4160x2340, 1.7M)

I don't like the keyboards and that thin ultra light crap.

Or the battery is more worn out than what your OS expects, it should calibrate after a few charge cycles. Either way you might need another.

This is weird, a couple days ago I got my first thinkpad, an R40, for free and today I got an E520 for $65
I really wanted to get an x220 but this will do nice for now

Retina Macbook Pro

how do you think do a Quadro M1000M and a MX150 compare?
The Quadro isn't worse for gaming, right?

they are almost the same, but mx150 will use a lot less power and has advantages in some games due to the newer design.

The t7200 is about the same as a sl9400.The core duo's can be a bit on the slow end. Still completely usable, I had a low voltage core duo and used it for college for a single semester last year. 98% of the time it had enough power.

Keep in mind it wasn't my only system, just my main laptop.

is the T420s good. do they have good driver support. and is $100 a good deal for one with no hdd or os.

Attached: ronal_LS_15x7.5.jpg (1024x680, 98K)

(i have an extra hdd and im using linux)

Depends on the specs honestly.

get a P71 with a quadro P3000, you'll be set

Even with a high OC +125core/300shader, the m1000m is limited.

Doom at 720p on low still wont run a steady 60FPS - lots of texture pop in because only 2GB vram.

Starcraft2 on ultra is going to run barely 40FPS 1080p. It starts at 60' but once any action or mass unit creation happens it drops instantly.

Dirt Rally runs on a Hybrid of Medium and High At a Steady 60FPS.

Cities Skylines runs about 40FPS for a new map, less than 15 FPS for a populated city.

>If you don't need certified drivers for CAD work, i would suggest getting the MX150- it has double the Vram, nearly double the core clock speed, but half the cores and half the power consumption.

Everything. X220 or earlier T-series like the T420

Fuck off tripfag.

>buy X220
>listing says Win10 and a 320GB HDD
>package arrives
>dead battery
>no charger
>no drive
>no drive spacers
I hate eBay so much.

I'd say go for a X230 with and IPS panel, having a good screen is always nice

thinking about buying a t440s or t450s, but a bit worried about finding the display and touch pad upgrades.

are replacement parts easy to find? can i order shit from the local branch of lenovo in my country, or will i still have to scour alidirect? i see lenovo still sells 6-cell batteries at least.

>are replacement parts easy to find? can i order shit from the local branch of lenovo in my country
Sounds like you didn't even bother to check for yourself. Do that and then report back.

How do you faggots deal with the insanely horrendous panels in T420s? Why are they recommneded at all?

everything else is great for such a low price
the panel is their main and pretty much only drawback which can be fixed with a chink fhd adapter

Anybody with a t440p
Does your m.2 port have pcie lanes?

Used Latitude E7450

>1080p IPS
>120 GB SSD
>I5 5300u
>No backlit keyboard
>$420, because muh third world inflation

There's not much alternatives in this price range, since a brand new Latitude with starter specs could cost $700 and up

Should I?

>$420
>dual core ulv shit
no
and this is coming from another third worlder

has anyone tried using pic related with t440p?

Attached: EXP-GDC-PCI-E-Laptop-External-Independent-Graphics-Card-Dock-Laptop-Docking-Station-M-2-M.jpg_640x64 (640x640, 60K)

x200 without harddrive or battery for $60

Did I fuck up?

no, because hard drives are shit and the 9 cell upgrade is good and aesthetic anyway

I wouldn't use that thing on my t440p.

How much should I pay for a 9 cell?
Are chink batteries worth it?

For blokenon in last general:
amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJ7GTKY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Product page I used to order display.
amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A2BROEZP5ZTHI4&tab=&vasStoreID=
Seller is "ScreenS" I talked to Dave and Max in support dept. to confirm part number "B140HAN01.3"
amazon.com/AUO-04X0436-Replacement-Screen-Laptop/dp/B01K8HRDE0/ref=sr_1_57?m=A2BROEZP5ZTHI4&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1527927330&sr=1-57&refinements=p_4:AUO
amazon.com/AUO-04X5255-Replacement-Screen-Laptop/dp/B01K8HROVW/ref=sr_1_180?m=A2BROEZP5ZTHI4&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1527927647&sr=1-180&refinements=p_4:AUO
Product pages with exact FRU #s. Make sure you message them and all is to your liking. Can't imagine wat shipping will be, but you'll be happy once you fire it up for the first time.
>tfw working in the department of redundancy department
Not sure all 440p models came with the correct hardware, but you might wanna verify you have the 30pin eDP connector. Picrelated is mine. Is on rear of panel.

Attached: edp_conn_00.jpg (1455x1744, 634K)

Good, at least that's outta the way. Don't forget, you most likely still have a h/w issue. If you have a spare drive I would start there just to eliminate the hdd from the list. Also, tightening everything while you have all covers taken off is cheap insurance. Don't go overboard, just make sure it's all snug. You might be surprised how many screws are backed out on their own. You would be surprised at how much of the behavior you"re experiencing is caused by stuff being loose, eg. shorting, pinched cables, etc.

:(

Oh well

>4bolt hubs
Is cos race setup or? I almost went nuclear thinking they were redrilled style-5's. REEEEEEEEEEE!
>t420s for 100
Does it have everything else? (battery, psu) Wat processor and how much RAM? I would talk them down 20-30 on account of no HDD n os.

Yeah I got a X230 and it's battery was garbage. Need to get a new battery but installing TLP did help massively for a while.

ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-IPS-LCD-i5-2-6-GHz-8-GB-Ram-160-GB-SSD-Webcam-B/131730235694?hash=item1eabbbe12e:g:LAcAAOSwLVZVrOS4

cop or not

I want to buy a t430, but I want to replace the keyboard with the t420, is it really hard to do? I have a little bit of experience with stuff like this, but not a lot.

On the physical side it's easy, but you'll need to poke with the BIOS for it to work.

cheers, cunt. thanks for all the work! really means alot.

So pretty much got to open it up and count the pins.

Finally got my t440s upgraded with 12gb and a t450 touchpad. First time I did the upgrade the middle button was broken. Worth it though, now I’m in the modern thinkpad master race

Attached: 726CBB49-5F85-4FB4-B895-427AC3768F40.jpg (4032x3024, 1.94M)

stock hubs are 4x100

its an older i3 with 6gb ddr3 (maybe 2). comes with battery. i talked him down to 65. I think im gonna get it. I only need it for programming and very minimally taxing stuff.

Update on the X200s
>I can live with the washed out screen since it's bright, LED and 1440x900, its a shame about the massive backlight bleed at the top and bottom but whatever
>fan is broken
>charging port is pretty loose but still works
>keyboard is amazingly worn out, like I can't even use the thinklight because the keyboard is too reflective.
On one hand it's stupid light and is better than any netbook in every single way, on the other you can't really libreboot without serious soldering and I need like 50 bucks in parts to get it to be reliable again
Is it worth it?

Attached: IMG_20180531_211643.jpg (2592x1944, 1.18M)

>open it up
Ya, just front bezel then four screws. 1/10 difficulty. All 30 pins lool alike, gold and cable side has a clasp.

>parts machine
Quit wasting gauze...

HOLY FUCK guys pls help me I just got my t420 for like a week, woke up this morning and the fucker won't turn on! The battery light doesn't appear when I'm plugged in. Tried the holding down power button for 60 second shit, doesn't work. Tried a whole bunch of random shit like taking out the ram and stuff... Doesn't work.

Has anyone encountered this shit before?

what country he's in

The chassis is in great condition though and same with the mobo

>P-Series
lenovo financing... yes or no?

>financing a laptop

Anyone here tried replacing their chinkpad's audio jack and usb socket? I found these on ebay

ebay.com/itm/New-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-X220I-X230-X230T-Audio-jack-Headphone-Microphone-port/302157813067?hash=item465a02554b:g:DZUAAOSw03lY6vqQ

ebay.com.au/itm/1X-ThinkPad-X220-X220I-00X220T-Replacement-USB-socket-connector-Jack-Port/292550980892?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

One of my x220's usb ports just crapped out and I feel like the audio jack is going to give up soon. Some say I should just replace the whole motherboard but I want to find out if replacing these components are doable because this amazing piece of shit has been with me through tough times and it has sentimental value to me. My soldering skills are pretty gud.

pls respong ;_;

Attached: 1477091045947.png (157x172, 71K)

Great, now it boots but just shuts down immediately after like 5s.

Fuck you guys I thought think pads were supposed to be invincible

What laptop is RMS using in that pic, anyone know?

I have an x61s and if you're going from an x61t then you may want a regular x61 just because there's more you can do with it and it's faster (processors on the x61s and x61t are the same)
It's about a millimeter thicker than the x61s but it has a better processor but most importantly a thicker heatsink.
If you want batterylife as good as the x61s then you can just undervolt and set a limit to how fast the cpu can run.

I'm not sure why I was being an idiot and bought the slim version but I'm still pretty happy with it anyways.

Thinking of getting my dad a T470, are they any good?

I think so.
The oem batteries are so old that you may need to replace the cells which defeats the purpose of an oem anyway.
Just look for some chink battery with reliable cell manufacturers like sanyo and stuff like that.

you sound like either a girl or a troll
leave if either of those statements are true

That's super. Break it down and sell 'em or, who knows, might run across one next week that needs those exact items.

>soldering skills are pretty gud
Stop second guessing yourself, do it already.

Dude all it really needs is a new fan and a repaste, it's not a parts machine in the slightest.

The motherboard on my x61s doesn't have a fan nor the second fan 3 pin connector
>pic related is what it should look like
Do you think I could just wire a fan to the terminals and use it that way? I want to remove the PCMIA card slot and put a heatsink there connected to the cpu heatsink so I can run the laptop off of fan most of the time, but I still want the advantage of running two fans slowly rather than one fan fast.
I think I want to improve the ventilation by removing the card slot cover too so that would also take care of my hot palm rest.

Any thoughts?

Attached: x61s fan.jpg (500x475, 49K)

Sorry guys I went for the whole linux meme when I bought my x200 but even with tlp and powertop the battery life is atrocious with these 9 cell 80% capacity left batteries. I get around 3 hours battery life with just normal use such as web browsing and just typing.

>never take laptop out of the house
Any x220T or x230T people use the 3 cell battery. I'm thinking it may make laying around the house on the laptop easier.

>3 cell battery

Why would you do this?

Install Windows 10

I already have a 6 cell. I just want it to be lighter when I'm sitting on the couch.

x230 t420 or t420s?

X230, you can have a hassle-free IPS screen on if you bought a unit that has the screen already installed. It also doesn't throttle (they all don't tho) and the size makes it much more portable. The CPU is also slightly better, and the graphics card is a lot higher in performance too.
USB 3.0 adds in the future-proofing.

someone post the anti x230 / t430 pro x220 t420 photo

> Windows 10 users go back to ->/v/
Silly winshill, you're not wanted here.

It's just a simple BIOS flash with a USB stick to install the classic thickbad keyboard, if you really need it. There's no reason whatsoever to buy an older machine, if the next generation is that much better.

not him but the guy he's responding to

dont have much of a choice considering the batteries for these older machines don't hold as much charge as they used to. Will probably install w7 in a bit.

You can't make me :^)

u can get 2 storage for x230? ssd + hdd? if yes, is it like a 2.5" + msata?

Which could actually be the best 4:3 ThinkPad?

91 degrees temp when playing a game on a x230 is that dangerous?

Attached: tesla_reworking__portfolio_piece__by_ravanna7-d5ns3bg.jpg (1024x1394, 432K)

Yes exactly.

x62

I need it bruhs

I love my X61T due to it's IPS 4:3 display.
The X61 footprint isn't that much different than an X61s & it can have better CPU options.
But at this point you might as well get an X201 or X200.
I dislike the cramped kehboard on my X61T.

The 'mods' you can do are pointless unless you're wanting to get an X62 or X210 motherboard.

An X60 with libreboot is cool tho, I think the X200 can do the same.

You might be able to do some sort of driver hack to get better performance, but I suspect them being maybe 20% less game performing than their consumer counterpart.

Not to sound hard but you got some of the less liked ThinkPad. It can only go up from.here unless you get one in shit condition.
I'm sure you can feel the build differences from a Acer built ThinkPad and a consumer Lenovo one. :)

If you can't import a barebones laptop from burgerland then yeah, it's not a terrible price, $350 would be ideal IMO.

Need more context, not bad if it's in 7/10 condition or better :)

what's the point in using a 4:3 display in 2018, user?

I find it comfy to write on

I thought the 14" T60p felt much durable than the 15" and T61. That thing was a blast to type on (X300 is GOAT and 14" 16:10 R61 I had liked more)

600X is still the greatest ThinkPad made.
T43p has a charm the T6x lacks.

If you want to be cool and have obscurity points, the TramsNote and 860 are the best 4:3 ThinkPads

Stop shilling chinkpads you tripfaggot.

How many xx20 keyboard models are there? Saw one with an elongated enter key that I didn't know about.

what about the battery? oem or some chinkshit is alright?

its a 3k laptop

Only if you stop being a limp wristed beta male cuck.

Sorry I didn't say 'Any IBM made ThinkPad built before 5/2005"

Ok fuck
Now it works fine when plugged in, but on battery it'll just shut off randomly and then refuse to power on unless I plug it it.
It happened with two batteries so I'm guessing it also needs a mobo replacement.
BUT this can actually be a good thing if I can get an X200 mobo since I can easily install libreboot on that.
Can I fit an X200 motherboard into an X200s chassis?
If not can I fit the x200s screen assembly on an X200?